Bringing balance, and PvP players, to WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Fella Feller.4936

Fella Feller.4936

I have a suggestion that may help WvW in several ways.

Firstly let me outline a couple of problems I see.

1. With the ‘power creep’ in PvE gear stats, WvW is becoming increasingly imbalanced (how much +crit damage?!)

2. s/tPvP players are largely excluded from playing WvW as the only way to gear up a character for it in any kind of timely fashion is to grind dungeons and/or other PvE in order to obtain gear (WvW gear obtained with badges comes laughably slow and has only 1 set of stats available)

The solution?

Reduce WvW gear stats to just using the amulet, which is scaled up to the PvP equivalent. Allow players entering from the mists to use their PvP gear in WvW. Players entering from PvE would keep the appearance of their gear, and runes and sigils, but all gear would have the stats ‘removed’ and the amulet they have equipped would be boosted up to the PvP equivalent.

This would bring much better class balance to WvW and would allow s/tPvP players to jump in without feeling like they must grind PvE content in order to compete. PvE players could still keep the looks of their dungeon sets / legendary, and would also be able to try out different builds and stat set ups without having to grind for a whole new set of gear.

Given that the mechanics are already in place for gear to change when entering /exiting the mists this shouldn’t be too hard from a programming angle (though I expect would still take a fair amount of work).

Seems to me this would be a win for the PvE, PvP and WvW community’s, and help bring them closer together. What do you think?

The Tally family of Desolation-
Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)
with special guests Hematophagia(Necro) and Grace Burns(Guardian)

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’m fine with how gear is in w3.

You’ll probably turn off more PvE types. Here they got that gear they worked for and now they can’t use it. Doesn’t matter if they get a free amulet in w3, they still wouldn’t be happy.

Gear is fine how it is.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in WvW

Fella Feller.4936

They could use it, it just wouldn’t have a crazy (in a PvP environment) amount of stats on it. sPvP had an amulet + 5 jewels in BWE1, and this was reduced to an amulet and 1 jewel for good reason.

Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)

in WvW

Posted by: GummiDeMilo.3810

GummiDeMilo.3810

I too wish WvW was structured more like the sPvP, but that clearly wasn’t the intent so I don’t see any reason for them to change it.

WvW was really fun for the first couple weeks after release because everyone was roughly the same gear and lvl wise. Now I get steamrolled on any 1v1 because I’m only lvl 55.

in WvW

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

No more grinding my alts through pve content to lvl 80 ? Where do you want me to sign up ?

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

in WvW

Posted by: stinkypants.8419

stinkypants.8419

Nope, part of the fun is leveling up to get to do the Wv3.

(Alvyn | Crystal Desert )

in WvW

Fella Feller.4936

Nope, part of the fun is leveling up to get to do the Wv3.

this wouldn’t prevent you from doing that if it’s what you enjoy. Just allow thouse who don’t to also take part on a level playing field.

in WvW

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

If ‘pvp’ players want to partake in W3 they should put in the same effort and work that W3 players have had to with their characters.

As for bringing them closer together I see that as an issue with the players, after all they sure do like to keep making the distinction that wuvwuv ISN’T PvP, and that THEY are PvPers while putting down wuvwuvers at every opportunity.

TLDR: No free rides for the elitists.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in WvW

Fella Feller.4936

You do realize that’s exactly what your post makes you sound like?

in WvW

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

Maybe PvP players should be able to buy PvE/WvW gear with glory, but it shouldn’t be by no means easier or faster than the PvE way.
It should be like an alternative for those who enjoy PvPing and spend almost all their playing time there.

Annnnnnnd for god sake, a player should ONLY earn glory IF his team wins. A lot of people (me included) already hate glory farmers, we don’t want more of those around.

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in WvW

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Oh my god, no.

Part of the reason I WvW and almost never go into sPvP is because of how the gearing is set up in sPvP.

I want to be able to combine my equipment and get the stats I want.
My build is impossible to replicate with the sPvP amulet system.

You also do realize that Anet wants sPvP to be the competitive side of their game, right?

They would prefer wvw players go into sPvP than sPvP players go into wvw.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

No. The amulet system is terrible.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

I have a suggestion that may help WvW in several ways.

Firstly let me outline a couple of problems I see.

1. With the ‘power creep’ in PvE gear stats, WvW is becoming increasingly imbalanced (how much +crit damage?!)

2. s/tPvP players are largely excluded from playing WvW as the only way to gear up a character for it in any kind of timely fashion is to grind dungeons and/or other PvE in order to obtain gear (WvW gear obtained with badges comes laughably slow and has only 1 set of stats available)

The solution?

Reduce WvW gear stats to just using the amulet, which is scaled up to the PvP equivalent. Allow players entering from the mists to use their PvP gear in WvW. Players entering from PvE would keep the appearance of their gear, and runes and sigils, but all gear would have the stats ‘removed’ and the amulet they have equipped would be boosted up to the PvP equivalent.

This would bring much better class balance to WvW and would allow s/tPvP players to jump in without feeling like they must grind PvE content in order to compete. PvE players could still keep the looks of their dungeon sets / legendary, and would also be able to try out different builds and stat set ups without having to grind for a whole new set of gear.

Given that the mechanics are already in place for gear to change when entering /exiting the mists this shouldn’t be too hard from a programming angle (though I expect would still take a fair amount of work).

Seems to me this would be a win for the PvE, PvP and WvW community’s, and help bring them closer together. What do you think?

1) You can do Karma runs in WvW, taking camps, towers, killing Dolyaks, and so on, that from level 1-80, you will have enough Karma to get 8 pieces of exotic gear from Orr.
2) I agree badges come too slowly, if you’re trying to gear up with Badges. The cost of badge gear should be cut by 2/3ds its original cost. They should also add Ascended Gear to WvW merchants, that can be bought with badges.
3) sPvP is no more balanced than WvW. Just because you say it is balanced, and they say it is balanced does not make it so. There is an illusion of balance there, that is false. This is why GW2 will never make it into eSports.

That said, I don’t want people in WvW in sPvP gear who can’t be bothered to level their toons. You don’t enter into WvW and expect everything to be given to you. You didn’t grind for sPvP gear, and if you play with any amount of sense in WvW, you will not have to grind for gear there either. The only grind is Ascended Gear, and you don’t need it to compete in WvW, I don’t have it, and I do just fine.

Let’s not dumb WvW down to the easy mode play sPvP is, please.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

If ‘pvp’ players want to partake in W3 they should put in the same effort and work that W3 players have had to with their characters.

As for bringing them closer together I see that as an issue with the players, after all they sure do like to keep making the distinction that wuvwuv ISN’T PvP, and that THEY are PvPers while putting down wuvwuvers at every opportunity.

I think it’s pretty hilarious how elitist you sound making that comment.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: albotelho.2931

albotelho.2931

sPvP is a content apart from WvW and PvE and should stay like that… and also most of sPvP people consider WvW to be just another PvE content… so usually they dont care about it… I may be wrong but most people I know that focus on sPvP thinks like that.

I dont think they need to change anything about gear in WvW, I am fine with that and dont think it is a great issue to balance, it is so easy to get gear in this game…

What I think is that WvW focused people should be able to get more types of gear with the badges, including ascended ones.

Turig Wolfsbane Norn Guardian
Rangrorn Charr Necromancer
Ultimate Legion [UL]

in WvW

Posted by: bromi.7809

bromi.7809

Oh my god like it takes how much times to do COF to get best gear / convert it into gold / buy stuff if you want another stats?
Btw, real spvp elitist are sitting on a bunch of crystals from paid winnings. They should have no problem gearing up whatsoever.

in WvW

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Most builds amount to the spvp amulets anyway, people claiming they’re special because they zerged through Orr and slept through dungeons for pve gear are usually the same people who claim Ascended gear isn’t an upgrade and that those of us who don’t grind dungeons should bow down accept their pve authority. Most players who consider w3 to be their game would rather not have to bother with a pve grind and LFG and get to open world pvp, as simple as these new dailies are, they’re increasingly motivating me to quit this game because it’s becoming the same old three to four previous games I’ve played. I don’t have the play time to login and grind pve dailies before I can get in on real action after work.

I don’t mind a pre-ascended gear progression as long as it can all happen in w3 with a quick jump to an Orr temple with karma once in awhile, but this whole game is turning into another Rift+Swtor+every other pve grind full of useless dungeon/raid crawlers.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Most builds amount to the spvp amulets anyway.

This isn’t true. In sPvP you can’t have half a healing build, and half a beserker build. It’s all, or nothing.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

This isn’t true. In sPvP you can’t have half a healing build, and half a beserker build. It’s all, or nothing.

And this is my problem with it.
Getting to change the gem in your amulet is not even remotely good enough for any sort of hybrid build of any class.

“Most” builds may equate to normal spvp amulets; sure.
But “most” players in this game are also casual players who don’t sit down and figure out how to make any other sort of effective build.

The stat system is dumbed down enough as it is, taking away all the combinations possible in PvE would be terrible in wvw. We want to add /more/ depth to wvw, not take depth away.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

kash.9213

In what dictionary does the word “most” mean “all”? If there were enough builds like that out there the thief forums wouldn’t be full of glass cannon mesmers and other trolls.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Getting to change the gem in your amulet is not even remotely good enough for any sort of hybrid build of any class.

But “most” players in this game are also casual players who don’t sit down and figure out how to make any other sort of effective build.

The stat system is dumbed down enough as it is, taking away all the combinations possible in PvE would be terrible in wvw. We want to add /more/ depth to wvw, not take depth away.

Choices are hard for some people, that’s why games with more choices like; “Rift” always had the worst population of complainers. Even sPvP, the easiest format I have ever seen in any game still has an army of complainers.

Choices are more important to me, and I believe the more choices a player base has, the funner the game is.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

Posted by: Sizzle Hint.1820

Sizzle Hint.1820

This so much. The gear choice is so limiting in sPvP. WvW actually offers a lot more variety.

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

In what dictionary does the word “most” mean “all”? If there were enough builds like that out there the thief forums wouldn’t be full of glass cannon mesmers and other trolls.

Where is your evidence that supports your; “most” assertion? Using the most vocal people on the forums is not logical to any argument.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

Choices are hard for some people, that’s why games with more choices; “Rift” always had the worse population of complainers. Even sPvP, the easiest format I have ever seen in any game still has an army of complainers.

Choices are more important to me, and I believe the more choices a player base has, the funner the game is.

The thing is though,
If that is the kind of player you are (Not yourself, the generalized “you”), then you can fully replicate the amulet system in PvE/WvW by just buying gear of all the same stats.

If you don’t want the option for a more in depth build, you are not required to take it, you can just go the “Simple-Choice” route of wearing all Berserker Gear (or whatever gear you focus on).

I can’t see it as a good thing to remove that choice from wvw for the spvp amulet system, which I feel will offer nothing that other improvements couldn’t do better.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Choices are hard for some people, that’s why games with more choices like; “Rift” always had the worst population of complainers. Even sPvP, the easiest format I have ever seen in any game still has an army of complainers.

The thing is though,
If that is the kind of player you are (Not yourself, the generalized “you”), then you can fully replicate the amulet system in PvE/WvW by just buying gear of all the same stats.

If you don’t want the option for a more in depth build, you are not required to take it, you can just go the “Simple-Choice” route of wearing all Berserker Gear (or whatever gear you focus on).

I can’t see it as a good thing to remove that choice from wvw for the spvp amulet system, which I feel will offer nothing that other improvements couldn’t do better.

I agree with you, so I hope you’re not taking my response as a disagreement.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

Choices are hard for some people, that’s why games with more choices like; “Rift” always had the worse population of complainers. Even sPvP, the easiest format I have ever seen in any game still has an army of complainers.

The thing is though,

Nah,
I agree with people sometimes. :P

Dragonbrand

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Choices are hard for some people, that’s why games with more choices like; “Rift” always had the worse population of complainers. Even sPvP, the easiest format I have ever seen in any game still has an army of complainers.

The thing is though,

Nah,
I agree with people sometimes. :P

We can’t have that, can we?

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

Posted by: Jiiub.7135

Jiiub.7135

for starters the glasscannons are the weakest wvw players and no to this whole idea

Rorgash
Necromancer
[IRON] Gaming

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

Balance will come through professions, not gear.

You will always have underleveled people in WvW and they will be weaker. You will always have people don’t have even exotics yet, and they will be weaker.

Anet has to start treating WvW as a separate game mode balance wise, apart from sPVP. Balancing only for sPVP makes WvW just get forgotten or left with indirect effects that leave balance screwed up in this mode.

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Balance will come through professions, not gear.

You will always have underleveled people in WvW and they will be weaker. You will always have people don’t have even exotics yet, and they will be weaker.

Anet has to start treating WvW as a separate game mode balance wise, apart from sPVP. Balancing only for sPVP makes WvW just get forgotten or left with indirect effects that leave balance screwed up in this mode.

Unless everyone is playing a toon that is the exact same as the next toon, balance is an illusion, and can not happen. They shouldn’t waste so much time on balance, but more importantly; “content”.

The only time they should spend any amount of time on balance, is if something is so glaringly broken, and obviously needs fixed. And buffs are much better than nerfs under most situations.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

kash.9213

Where is your evidence that supports your; “most” assertion? Using the most vocal people on the forums is not logical to any argument.

Visit any of the class forums, the simplest builds and gear roll outs are always the most used, and if you ask people in game, they usually have a system of gear stats that are departmentalized, ie: p/v/t armor with all zerker/ruby trinkets and zerkers weapons and most answers on build questions ie: thief forums, are increasingly suggesting all or nothing after experience in w3 since beta anyway.

Aside from that, I didn’t say I’m in favor of either system, leveling and grinding for gear are things I try to get out of the way so I can play the game. You people can argue over it all you want but people shouldn’t act like they’ve earned a spot in the queue because they have more time to sit at the computer to hold down their W key and press 1 over and over again. I think the game was in the right spot pre-Ascended as far as stats go, it should have stayed there.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

The elitists as you call them, are the PvP guilds that carry their server to competitive tiers. Without the hardcore PvP players in WvW/SPvP there is no PvP, it’s carebear pillow fights and will be as dead as T8.

If Anet wants GW2 to be taken seriously for competitive PvP, the SPvP premade system migrated to WvW would bring that.

It bring everyone in line eliminating power creep, and becomes what it should always be. A skill based competition. If you don’t understand power creep go read up Taugrim’s article on it.

No one is asking for a free ride, but no one wants to waste their time doing PvE they’re not interested in.

-KNT- BG

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

Visit any of the class forums, the simplest builds and gear roll outs are always the most used, and if you ask people in game, they usually have a system of gear stats that are departmentalized, ie: p/v/t armor with all zerker/ruby trinkets and zerkers weapons and most answers on build questions ie: thief forums, are increasingly suggesting all or nothing after experience in w3 since beta anyway.

Aside from that, I didn’t say I’m in favor of either system, leveling and grinding for gear are things I try to get out of the way so I can play the game. You people can argue over it all you want but people shouldn’t act like they’ve earned a spot in the queue because they have more time to sit at the computer to hold down their W key and press 1 over and over again. I think the game was in the right spot pre-Ascended as far as stats go, it should have stayed there.

I don’t have a single piece of Ascended on five toons who have all exotic gear, and I have never done any of the PvE content, aside from paying someone to escort me to Orr, to spend my Karma on exotic gear. I run solo 90% of the time, and do extremely well. People put too much stock into gear, or the need for gear, and/or grinding.

With the recent upswing in people complaining about Mesmers, I’ve run an entire week on a Mesmer bunker build that doesn’t use a shatter build, or a confusion build, and I still melt people, even other bunker builds. My Thief is a bunker/hybrid build, my Warrior is a bunker/hybrid, my Guardian is a bunker/hybrid, and so is my Ranger.

I don’t run full sets, or even duo sets, and I often throw in one, or two pieces of Knights armor to get to the stats I want. You can not do that with how simple they’ve made sPvP, and I would hate to have the option of choice taken away from WvW. Heck, they don’t even allow racial abilities, food, etc in sPvP because it makes it too hard for people to make the appropriate choices.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

The elitists as you call them, are the PvP guilds that carry their server to competitive tiers. Without the hardcore PvP players in WvW/SPvP there is no PvP, it’s carebear pillow fights and will be as dead as T8.

If Anet wants GW2 to be taken seriously for competitive PvP, the SPvP premade system migrated to WvW would bring that.

It bring everyone in line eliminating power creep, and becomes what it should always be. A skill based competition. If you don’t understand power creep go read up Taugrim’s article on it.

No one is asking for a free ride, but no one wants to waste their time doing PvE they’re not interested in.

I’ve never done PvE, and leveled 5 toons to 80 in WvW alone, and they’re all fully geared in Exotics. I don’t have a single piece of Ascended Gear, and I run solo 90% of the time, and compete very well with other players.

Dumbing the game down to easy mode play is not going to get GW2 into eSports, nor will it make the game challenging. They dumbed down sPvP so bad, it isn’t a challenge, and it isn’t even close to being balanced.

You want to see something funny? Go to the sPvP forums. They complain about the RANGER. Who in thier right mind, and is good at the game loses to a Ranger? I have five full exotic geared toons, and I have never had a single Ranger kill me, ever. And I run solo almost all the time.

Anyone that would argue that sPvP is balanced shouldn’t be taken seriously. All they’ve done is remove a lot of choices, and that is it. We don’t need WvW dumbed down.

I love the aspect of challenge in WvW running solo, fighting under the added element of siege, where damage is high enough, you could go splat in an instance, if you make a minor mistake. In sPvP you can make mistake, after mistake, after mistake, and the damge is so weak, you never have to learn from your mistakes.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

(edited by jkctmc.8754)

in WvW

EnRohbi.2187

I don’t think anyone is arguing in favour of PvE being the only way to get gear.
Nobody likes that.

Having ways within WvW to equip your character in an acceptable amount of time would be fantastic. And as long as all stat combinations from PvE are available in WvW as well, it would solve all these “I need to PvE in order to WvW” complaints.

This would be far preferable to the Amulet based system in sPvP.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

I like the customization of doing what you want with your gear in WvW.

But if they are going to have new gear progressions, like obviously ascended, then it needs to get into WvW as a reward as soon as possible. This pushback into March is ridiculous, if it even comes then, as people who don’t like to grind dungeons are getting to have a noticeable disadvantage.

It’s not like this stuff has model skins, just dump the rings and amulets onto a WvW vendor and put an appropriate badge cost, done.

Wouldn’t doubt when they finally make a WvW means to get the new stuff, they will introduce even more dungeon based ascended so that the ‘pve to pvp’ crowd can continue to have a leg up.

(edited by Pendragon.8735)

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@op this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. I WANT to use the gear/weapons that I have earned. I do NOT want this to be sPvP.

If you want everyone equal, stay in sPvP. WvW is an end game for the rest of us.

in WvW

Posted by: Esoteric.5490

Esoteric.5490

Oh my god, no.

Part of the reason I WvW and almost never go into sPvP is because of how the gearing is set up in sPvP.

I want to be able to combine my equipment and get the stats I want.
My build is impossible to replicate with the sPvP amulet system.

You also do realize that Anet wants sPvP to be the competitive side of their game, right?

They would prefer wvw players go into sPvP than sPvP players go into wvw.

QFT

I won’t touch sPvP because of the fail that is the amulet system. I think the amulet system should be scrapped and let people use their PvE characters for PvP like you used to be able to in GW1. I worked way too hard to get my armor, weapons, and other gear by playing ONLY WvW (not farming gold for them, mind you) to go to sPvP and see my gear look like absolute kitten and have my build not exist.

The fact that the vast MAJORITY of builds cannot be replicated in sPvP shows that it is a terrible system. Sure, they want a balanced system, so let people be leveled up and have “PvP Only Gear” if they aren’t 80 (or even if they are), but give them the option of using their PvE gear as well. Make the stats equivalent and let people use trinkets and pick armor with the stats in it. Hell, they could even leave it as is if the amulet stat totals are equivalent to the amount of stats you can get from your PvE gear so you always have the option to wear your PvE gear in sPvP instead… That way people who want to rank up in sPvP and get cool gear that way and gain rank can do that, but people can also choose to build their character in PvE and be ON EVEN GROUND.

Still balanced, but gives variety and customization which is crucial to anything that desires to be an “esport”. League of Legends has over 100 champions and probably a couple hundred items. sPvP pales in comparison.

tl;dr: Get rid of sPvP Amulets, let players choose to use updated sPvP gear that is equal to the best PvE gear or use their own gear from PvE like in GW1 OR leave amulets as they are, make sure that the stats you get from them are equal to the max stats you get from PvE, and let people choose to use their PvE gear in sPvP.

Blackgate Forever,
Riven – [KnT] GM – http://KnightGaming.enjin.com
Commander – Grand General of Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

I’ve never done PvE, and leveled 5 toons to 80 in WvW alone, and they’re all fully geared in Exotics. I don’t have a single piece of Ascended Gear, and I run solo 90% of the time, and compete very well with other players.

Dumbing the game down to easy mode play is not going to get GW2 into eSports, nor will it make the game challenging. They dumbed down sPvP so bad, it isn’t a challenge, and it isn’t even close to being balanced.

You want to see something funny? Go to the sPvP forums. They complain about the RANGER. Who in thier right mind, and is good at the game loses to a Ranger? I have five full exotic geared toons, and I have never had a single Ranger kill me, ever. And I run solo almost all the time.

Anyone that would argue that sPvP is balanced shouldn’t be taken seriously. All they’ve done is remove a lot of choices, and that is it. We don’t need WvW dumbed down.

I love the aspect of challenge in WvW running solo, fighting under the added element of siege, where damage is high enough, you could go splat in an instance, if you make a minor mistake. In sPvP you can make mistake, after mistake, after mistake, and the damge is so weak, you never have to learn from your mistakes.

Your misinterpreting way to much, they only thing i’m advocating for is a relief to power creep. The quickest solution given Anet’s fail resources would be to allow premades for those that have zero interest in PvE. Since adding equivalent items to the WvW vendors seems to be to much for them.

The SPvP play format, agreed is woefully incomplete. It’s a pitiful shadow compared to GW1 PvP. Hell, no GvG in Guildwars2 really Anet?

-KNT- BG

(edited by Krakah.3582)

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

sPvP had an amulet + 5 jewels in BWE1, and this was reduced to an amulet and 1 jewel for good reason.

This is one of the many reasons why sPVP is failing hard.

Skill choice is already very limited, why put a low limit on gear/stat combinations as well?

One of the reasons WVW has such big problems with culling is all the different textures and models in use – better to create a range of new WVW-specific armours (with earned ranks) that is identical in stats and then allow ranked access to WVW-specific runes and sigils (with WVW-specific bonuses, eg: carry 5 more supply).

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in WvW

Posted by: Diashame.6328

Diashame.6328

Op – I don’t agree with anything you have posted.

Dia – [RET]
Fort Aspenwood – the PvP server

in WvW

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

I have to disagree. WvW is, in a sense, meant to be imbalanced. You bring what you have to the table and see just what you can do. It’s basically you using what you’ve worked hard for. To be blunt, if you want everything just handed to you then stay in sPvP.

I love both WvW and sPvp, but if they made wvw the same as sPvp then there would be practically no reason for anyone to play PvE.

Sometimes you have to work for things Not everything is handed to you.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

What do you think?

I think WvW isn’t PVP. It’s PVE, but there are also other players trying to kill you. It doesn’t have to be fair. You have to pick your battles.

I think gear won’t save you from being rolled by a zerg. It won’t help you knock down the walls of stonemist faster either. It won’t get supply into Anz fast enough to hold up against the 24/7 trebbing.

I think good strategy and tactics beat good gear.

I think issues with class balance should be fixed directly, not bandaged over.

in WvW

kash.9213

I think WvW isn’t PVP. It’s PVE, but there are also other players trying to kill you. It doesn’t have to be fair. You have to pick your battles.

I think gear won’t save you from being rolled by a zerg. It won’t help you knock down the walls of stonemist faster either. It won’t get supply into Anz fast enough to hold up against the 24/7 trebbing.

I think good strategy and tactics beat good gear.

I think issues with class balance should be fixed directly, not bandaged over.

What else are you doing in w3 if you think it’s more pve then pvp? I almost never get down time while I’m logged on to stop and smell the omnom berries, w3 currently is basically a large scale spvp match, not so much a living game world.

Kash
NSP

in WvW

jkctmc.8754

What do you think?

I think WvW isn’t PVP. It’s PVE.

Because standing in a circle, earning points, without fighting all the time in sPvP is somehow PvP, and WvW isn’t, amirite?

Come on man.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

i totaly disagree with your ideea OP.
1. so you want to reduce from 300 diferent stat builds on wvw to 10 based on some amulets?
is 1 of the reason i have no interest for sPvP . to few amulets, cannot combine stats as you want.
2. i do not belive that for an skilled player , farm some items can be hard : i will be honnest with you. i’ve breaked all my items 2 weeks ago to sell runes/sigils /gamble in mystic forge. I’ve failed so i buyed with last 20 silver ( fine quality magic find equipment ) and i managed to farm 60 gold in first day . you need arround 50 gold to get full exotics gear, that is 1 day of farm + 4 days to get lvl 80
if you play hardcore sPvP you could even have 30-50 starting gold from selling dyes

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

These:

@op this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. I WANT to use the gear/weapons that I have earned. I do NOT want this to be sPvP.

If you want everyone equal, stay in sPvP. WvW is an end game for the rest of us.

No. The amulet system is terrible.

To be blunt, if you want everything just handed to you then stay in sPvP.
Sometimes you have to work for things Not everything is handed to you.

What else are you doing in w3 if you think it’s more pve then pvp? I almost never get down time while I’m logged on to stop and smell the omnom berries, w3 currently is basically a large scale spvp match, not so much a living game world.

Because standing in a circle, earning points, without fighting all the time in sPvP is somehow PvP, and WvW isn’t, amirite?

Come on man.

Multiple QFT’s

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

I can see where the OP has a point at this stage of the game all seems fine gear wise in wv3 but…I can see problems in the future if gear isn’t balanced and the treadmill continues it has the potential of turning into WOW pvp pre burning crusades with trinket stacking 1 shot lolpvp.

in WvW

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

The main problem with the amulet system is that you only get 1 jewel, which severely limits your spec choices.

I still think it would be better to limit the choice of armours in WVW so one of the main causes of culling can be addressed at the same time as power creep.

downed state is bad for PVP

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Most of the people defending the current system are those who already have full exotic sets, and in many cases ascended garbage too. It’s just human nature to want people to climb the same mountain you did, no free rides. I would love an sPvP / GW1 PvP style system that dispensed with the pointless grind, but obvious anet doesn’t see WvW that way…lord knows what they see.

I am saying this as someone who has 3 toons with full good exo sets, probably 50 total exos, all earned the honorable way…ripping people off with TP schemes between WvW play. Two of my toons have barely even ventured outside LA and rata sum, execpt to finish dailies and get stuff from a few karma merchs. I wish someone from anet would read this and realize how totally ridiculous it is.

And yes, the crit damage in particular is getting way out of hand. One of the main reasons there is so much QQ about BS thieves. I am currently doing all the painful daily and monthly “achievements” to reconfigure gear a bit so my thief can go from 96% CD to 104% with no loss of other stats, in fact a slight increase in vitality. Just perfect, exactly what WvW needs! I can kill the poor (in time and gold) scaled players in 3.1 seconds instead of 3.2.