Can ANET make Obsidian Sanctum a Megaserver?

in WvW

Posted by: J envy.5270

J envy.5270

Ok, obsidian sanctum is dead, some might say no, but think about it for a second,

Have you ever been on a different tier(ex. you -t1, friend t-3) than a friend or a guildy and wanted to duel them in a NON-PVP map aka WVW because you want to use your own armor stats and runes not found in pvp? and maybe food buffs(ex. condi duration…)?

If so, i’m sure you have tried to do it in EOTM and find a place for the both of you to duel only to find some random scrubs gank you in the middle of the fight, or a karma commander decides to get some wvw kills for the hell of it, point is….

Why can’t we do it in Obsidian Sanctum, long gone are the days where OS was bursting with GvG’s and duels, i mean if your fighting the same 2 servers for weeks or months or even a year, woudnt’t you be bored too? I would, so why can’t we make this small change and maybe just maybe OS will see more use in the future.

Just imagine all the GvG’s that could possibly happen, guilds that never met before due to server/world tier differences.

Just a thought…..TL’DR…it aint long so read it.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05
multi-class all game modes

(edited by J envy.5270)

in WvW

Posted by: NiloyBardhan.9170

NiloyBardhan.9170

This is a VERY GOOD suggestion.

The only downside I see to this are:

1) Anet income will decrease due to lesser people transferring between servers.
2) Increase in trolling players who wants to complete JP.

14 80s – Niloy Bardhan (warr) ¦ Cute Asura Niloy (guard) ¦ Madhumita Bardhan (ele)
“Owner of the rarest items in Tyria” Legendary collector 8/5 – 300% base MF
Yak’s Bend website – yaks-bend.enjin.com (temporary) #YakForever #YB4LYFE

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Can ANET make Obsidian Sanctum a Megaserver? – Yes

Will they spend the time, and small amount of resources required to do this? – No

And yes I know it’s not a simple change, but they did it with PvE so shouldnt be a problem with WvW for one map!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

in WvW

J envy.5270

Will they spend the time, and small amount of resources required to do this? – No

And yes I know it’s not a simple change, but they did it with PvE so shouldnt be a problem with WvW for one map!

EXACTLY………….makes you wonder too huh.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Remember that they have been discussing a "Alliance" system for WvW, which would essentially be Megaserver of a sort. So this might actually happen, might even be planned. But ANet doesn’t like to announce what they are working on.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

I don’t think they ever considered an alliance system.

[HUE]

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

The Dev himself brought up the Alliance system as an option in the CDI thread about population, and wanted discussions aimed toward that.

It does have some advantages for them, it would be a self regulating system that can scale to change in player base, and they already have the technology for it from MegaServer. The main question is how they are going to implement it.

I for one hope they don’t try to pidgeon hole everyone into the top tiers numbers, and set a couple to be low pop alliances as well.

in WvW

J envy.5270

its pretty simple really keep the same colors for EOTM if your on the green in eotm then your green in OS, so if you want to 1v1 of GvG someone/guild as long as they are a different color, you can fight them. Unless you got a better idea, this is the idea that is already out there just not implemented.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

They did spend time and resources to add in a places to pvp in eb and separated it from wvw so it dose not effect the week so ya they are willing to spend the time and resources to do it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

joneirikb.7506

Actually, the easiest might be to just remove Obsidian Sanctum from the WvW and put it in EotM instead. Just move the entire map, since it doesn’t really affect the WvW outcome much anyways (except for PPK right now I guess).

That would be kind of interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Good idea imo. Some modification required though.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

They did spend time and resources to add in a places to pvp in eb and separated it from wvw so it dose not effect the week so ya they are willing to spend the time and resources to do it.

LMAO!!!!!

Players interested in GvG demand GvG.
Anet add a little bit in OS, and make it into a “new” map then tell players to go GvG there,

That’s great except how does a guild in T1 have a GvG against a guild in T9?!

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

(edited by Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054)

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Remember that they have been discussing a “Alliance” system for WvW, which would essentially be Megaserver of a sort. So this might actually happen, might even be planned. But ANet doesn’t like to announce what they are working on.

Arena.net have never said anything about an alliance system.

The idea has been floating around on the forums for a little over a year, has had monumental support from the player base & has been discussed in depth about how it could be done & why it would be better.

Arena.net have never even mentioned it or made a post in any of the threads talking about it though. (except to ban people who accuse them of not caring or saying they only care about transfer money)
As far as anyone can tell they only will try simple fixes like the white swords change, which is sad because short of total reworks WvW will just continue to decline & die.

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

The idea has been floating around on the forums for a little over a year, has had monumental support from the player base & has been discussed in depth about how it could be done & why it would be better.

Actually pretty sure ANET said something more along the lines that the megaserver idea would never be implemented for WvW but the more important point I think is the idea DOES NOT have monumental support from the WvW player base at all. Hard to know how much based on a forum no one reads anymore but there is a pretty good chunk of WvW players who have said the day WvW goes to an alliance based system is when they are done with GW2 for good. Now granted there are a lot of different ideas on how something like that would work and some of those might be more popular than others, especially those that can protect some sense of WvW community identity.

Putting OS in EotM sounds like a pretty decent way to side step a lot of messy problems. I would be in favor of using the EotM beta test holding area to dump people into from which they could then choose to join the OS or EotM map. I love to see a vault and maybe even crafting stations there as well.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Actually pretty sure ANET said something more along the lines that the megaserver idea would never be implemented for WvW but the more important point I think is the idea DOES NOT have monumental support from the WvW player base at all. Hard to know how much based on a forum no one reads anymore but there is a pretty good chunk of WvW players who have said the day WvW goes to an alliance based system is when they are done with GW2 for good. Now granted there are a lot of different ideas on how something like that would work and some of those might be more popular than others, especially those that can protect some sense of WvW community identity.

Putting OS in EotM sounds like a pretty decent way to side step a lot of messy problems. I would be in favor of using the EotM beta test holding area to dump people into from which they could then choose to join the OS or EotM map. I love to see a vault and maybe even crafting stations there as well.

All depends on who you talk to & what server they are on.

Many of the people I have talked to on T1 & T2 servers like it the way it is more or less. Though they acknowledge there are a ton of design flaws & ways it could be greatly improved.

Most everyone else I have talked also acknowledge said problems, design flaws & wants a redesign that ensures more evenly balanced numbers per side as well as a system that doesn’t lump PvE – PvP only players in with WvW players.

(edited by Ragnar the Rock.3174)

in WvW

J envy.5270

Pretty much what alot of you guys mentioned is true, OS does not affect PPT/PPK or whatever in WvW, no one really does that jumping puzzle anymore either, So i don’t see anything wrong in making it a Megaserver, just surprised that it has not been implemented yet.

I dont know about putting it in EOTM, putting it in the same map will just make it laggier, and also having its own map will make only people who want to duel/gvg (and some trolls) the only one going to that map.

Kamote
Guild Wars Vet since 05

in WvW

Posted by: SDZz.8260

SDZz.8260

so many have made this point but been ignored by arena net.
At least ANSWER the thread so we can have a response.
So much frustration on the WvW playerbase of gw2 because of a tiny (tiny-er forum section now after TWO whole subforums removed for one of your largest player bases) subforum and almost 0 dev presence.

I really had high hopes for that adopt a dev program but all it seemed to me was a holiday for devs because NOTHING has been changed for the better.

You removed white swords to improve scouting but kept rewards for scouting the same…nothing!

Sorry for the offtopic rant but so much frustration :>

Team Aggression -
@Staff Ele

in WvW

Posted by: Reaven.3958

Reaven.3958

Make obsidian sanctum a megaserver

Yes please. Or, rather, just link it to EotM instead of EB. This way 1) campers will get reset every 3 hours, which is nice, and 2) it’ll accomplish all the aforementioned whatnots in the OP.