Can the server's handle S3?

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Just in Eb with a rather large (and fun) SM fight between JQ-BG-TC. It was the first time, in a long time, since I experienced rubber banding, skill lag, etc. This was at 5:00 server time. If a dev reads this, please check the load on your poor server, it wasn’t keeping up with us well.

Crossing my fingers Anet is ready for us in S3.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

3-ways on SMC lag in most tiers, even on lower ones. This is not new…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Dano.5298

Dano.5298

Personally I feel like the game works amazingly well performance wise.

I am still amazed every fight is so smooth.

Ev
[SQD]

in WvW

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

getting some rubberbanding and lags recently

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I think ANet made a very good job on lags. They make twitch on everything but when they nearly wiped the lag that was just a line in the update notes

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Metemer.6382

Metemer.6382

“wiped the lag”? That’s a bit of an exaggeration. We just had a non-queue’d 3-way in SM in AG/BB/VS and it was unplayable. Noone could use any skills.
On that same day we had a mass DC on BB border. about 3/4 of the people from each guild(about 3-4 guilds) on the map DC’d at the same very moment. There were also map-wide lagspikes, where the TS went ‘WHOOAAA!!!’ (cause you teleported back and forth 20 meters) about 3 times in a row. But when we left the border it was fine.

Btw imo if aNet gave 2 kittens about the lag they would’ve made the bottom 6-9 servers of each region free to transfer long ago.

(edited by Metemer.6382)

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

I only ever experience lag during huge blob v blob fights which only really happen in EB. Anet’s done a fairly good job fixing a lot of the lag issues and there seems to be more fixes coming in the Feature Patch. I suggest getting informed before making a rage thread.

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

The lag has gotten better over the year if you compare todays fights to what it was a year ago. I used to avoid EB since it was nothing but a lag wave after another. The occasional map breaking SM lag is still there tho but at least EB is playable during primetime these days. Well, mostly.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

When big fights I switch to best performance and then I have no direct problem with lag.

in WvW

Posted by: Filovirus.6258

Filovirus.6258

“wiped the lag”? That’s a bit of an exaggeration. We just had a non-queue’d 3-way in SM in AG/BB/VS and it was unplayable. Noone could use any skills.
On that same day we had a mass DC on BB border. about 3/4 of the people from each guild(about 3-4 guilds) on the map DC’d at the same very moment. There were also map-wide lagspikes, where the TS went ‘WHOOAAA!!!’ (cause you teleported back and forth 20 meters) about 3 times in a row. But when we left the border it was fine.

Btw imo if aNet gave 2 kittens about the lag they would’ve made the bottom 6-9 servers of each region free to transfer long ago.

It wouldn’t change a thing, because that happens on lower tiers too (we had it in T8 EU not so long ago).

It’s just that what we call “servers” are virtual machines, with multiple on every hardware servers more than probably, and sometimes it can’t handle the load.

On top of that i’m pretty certain they reduced drastically the power allowed for WvW with the massive population drop there.

Add to that that the problems (ISP, DDoS, crashes) that are affecting PvE maps still sometimes (ie : 10/15 mins of lag spikes, periods where everything takes 20+s to activate, or you just can’t interact with anything) are affecting WvW too but in a more drastic way (it’s far more people concentrated in one place most of the time, outside of the few maps with only one big group due to an open world boss or something), and you get your explanations.

I doubt it’ll get any better “soon” or ever, because most of those scalling problems are either related to things Anet pay on a daily basis (bandwidth, routes, hardware to mitigate the problems/DDoS/load/whatever, ….) and won’t pay more for, or things that would require a major overhaul/rewrite of the game engine/game server to make it go away (not every game company is CCP, doing that every few years to handle the players and allows for a higher concurrent players peak… because they are basically living off this free advertising/marketing).

edit : on top of that, don’t forget that a majority of players have graphical settings that can only handle the “regular” battles/fights without problems, and put their comps to their knees in those 3 ways keep/SM zerg fights… and with how GW2 works, when you are reaching your comp’s limits, instead of decreasing performance steadily, it kills them nearly instantly and make the game unplayable with lag/stuttering/rubber banding/skill lag and other things.

Your connexion (or the connexion between your isp and the server) can be at fault too for those symptoms (it surprised me but i discovered it when i had to use my phone as connexion for 3 months, eating through my quota in 15 days or less, leaving me with 15 days a months of really reduced bandwidth… making anything above 15v15 like playing Guildwars2.powerpoint it was a “nice” group/zerg detector (i could know they were coming 15+s before they were on us) but unplayable

(edited by Filovirus.6258)

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

In general, lag has gotten better over the past year but there are still times servers slow to almost unbearable levels with big fights on a map. I believe the improvement has come from fewer total people playing which means more server resources in general. When the tournament starts and players flood into WvW, long lag spikes we all know well will likely resume.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

I only ever experience lag during huge blob v blob fights which only really happen in EB. Anet’s done a fairly good job fixing a lot of the lag issues and there seems to be more fixes coming in the Feature Patch. I suggest getting informed before making a rage thread.

A “rage thread” you say? What level of glass half empty is your point of view that you see rage anywhere in my post? And please, do list all of these fixes coming to WvW? I’m certain you fellow reader’s would love to know.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: smithkt.8062

smithkt.8062

DeWolfe, I agree, I didn’t see any rage in your post, but with respect to the changes regarding WvW as it pertains to your performance concerns, this was in the News regarding the Sept patch:

Performance Updates

We‘re always working on the performance of the game with every update, but we have a big batch of improvements coming in this feature pack. We’ve changed the way many of the underlying systems work, making them more cost-effective, which will reduce how often players will be seeing issues caused by performance. This is most notable in large combat situations like WvW and at the PvE world boss events. These improvements affect both the server and client performance, so in these situations, you should see increased frame rates as well!

in WvW

DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe, I agree, I didn’t see any rage in your post, but with respect to the changes regarding WvW as it pertains to your performance concerns, this was in the News regarding the Sept patch:

Performance Updates

We‘re always working on the performance of the game with every update, but we have a big batch of improvements coming in this feature pack. We’ve changed the way many of the underlying systems work, making them more cost-effective, which will reduce how often players will be seeing issues caused by performance. This is most notable in large combat situations like WvW and at the PvE world boss events. These improvements affect both the server and client performance, so in these situations, you should see increased frame rates as well!

TY for taking the time to post. It’s why I asked him to list the fixes. As I knew it wasn’t possible since we haven’t been given any specifics yet.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.