Cannons lackluster damage

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Just same old same old.

Was in smc. A large zerg appeared on ss inner gate. I got on the cannon uptop since I was alrdy uptop. By the time I got on the cannon rams had been built but the gate was 100% still but it was t1 paper.

So basically I start firing when they start ramming. I open up with chill. Then I fire normal shots over and over, right on target. And switch to chill 1 more time inbetween when its off cd.

Basically they get in before the rams die. And to give you an idea…..I have to sit there firing 3 more SHOTS just to finish off the rams (firing at the same spot over and over the entire time)….meanwhile they are already on the lord and only the very last trickle can see me firing now.

Nobody bothered to attack me or my cannon when they got to the inner gate. I was left uncontested to fire the cannon…..and it was so stupidly ineffective that I have to wonder why I even bothered trying. Shouldn’t secured objectives offer some sort of security? And this is a castle to boot….why is t1 completely meaningless!!??! They didnt lay any shield gens or bubbles…..they didnt have to. Was just so stupidly lazy feeling.

The same goes for oil. I just don’t understand why cannons are made so ineffective against the one thing they are designed to destroy….RAMS. You’d think they would make a very easy way to modify daamge against siege without modifying damage against players. And oh, btw none of my cannoning downed a single enemy…..as is tradition. The hand holding is unreal in this mode….never ceases to amaze.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

so the gate was at it’s lowest level, meaning if it had even one upgrade, your cannon would’ve had time to kill rams? Alternatively someone could’ve used a disabler to buy you time?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

if anything, they need the damage nerfed, at least against other players.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

They doubled siege hp but now you have the opportunity to crit/condi them as a trade off.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

The cannons are effective against zerg (especially if you have more than one). We always have to clean the cannons first cause otherwise you are a sitting duck getting pummeled and anyone can charge forward from the towers and with the help of the cannot win easily. It takes a lot to outsustain that. Cannons IMHO do not need a buff.

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

What?
So you expect 1 guy to be able to counter an large zerg ?
Woow so smart ….
Imo delete cannons and a mortars, so those carebears learn to fight not use sieges
P.S next time use siege disabbler than run to cannon

and 1 -2 or even 10 guys shoudn’t be able to hold of a large group (50 players) or the game would be completly broken

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

outer walls/gates on SMC are just a very small delay at max, the main SMC defence hard point is on the 2nd floor, and any kind of siege like cannons is mostly useless.

Cerby.1069, structures are designed to be capped no defended, reason game is this blobly drop 5+ rams on gate and u can ignore cannons, even some groups are so big have have so much water splasher that they can stand 100% of time uneder a few sup ac’s…

Another reason for Anet easy cap flaw design is that Anet pairs blobly servers against small population servers, exactly to make the cap easy.

So with this is not the cannon at fault…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Drinks.2361

Drinks.2361

The trouble with siege is although some people want it to be able to counter a much larger zerg, that same siege gets used against a 5 man or even by a much larger defending group.

The goal with walls and siege overall shouldn’t be to defend a structure, it should really only slow down the attackers enough for a response to arrive. With all the siege and defense buffs we got in Hot it’s moved the fight from the inside of structures to one group standing on the wall and more than half the attackers idle. This isn’t better gameplay.

I think we should delete shield generators & nerf siege damage to players. Change invulnerable walls and hardened gates to something that effects npc hit points or skills along the lines of iron guards. But to balance that bring back waypoints that uncontest between defence events & bannering the lord.

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

(…)

I think we should delete shield generators & nerf siege damage to players. Change invulnerable walls and hardened gates to something that effects npc hit points or skills along the lines of iron guards. But to balance that bring back waypoints that uncontest between defence events & bannering the lord.

yeah make siege dmage to players like 100 damage right? while i can CoR players under 50% HP to down instantly…

joking asside the fault is Anet enforcing very small server to fight very blob servers, just one massive blob that can reach very fast any strucuture when a structure gets capped or swords on it, just to kill 5 players… this is what WVW atm is…

The real issue are the developers and probably the game designer.
Anet glicko and matchmakign system is a crap full of lies at the end, and ended worse every time Anet touched it,

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Drinks.2361

Drinks.2361

Skirmishes are way better than ticking 600 off primetime.

There is a huge bandwagon factor in NA atleast, many militias seem to just piece out for the week if they are losing badly & the stronger side snowballs with fairweathers. Hopefully the changes on Tuesday will help.

Inside structures are some of the best places to fight in the game. Defensive power creep has gotten us to a point where some groups just give up when inner is breached. Siege fights are boring.

Almost no one who has been playing for any length of time cares if they win the week or not unless they are trying get a particular matchup … Which doesn’t work right now anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Siege should be trenched in counterplay. It should be a rock paper scissors effect.

Should 1 oil/cannon counter 1 ram? Yes? Ok…..
Should 1 oil/cannon counter 2 rams? No? ok…..

That implies 1 oil/cannon is worth 2-3 players (amount of supply to create). Which implies a t1 smc applies a 4-6 player built-in counter on each inner gate supposing there are 2 defenders to do so.

outer walls/gates on SMC are just a very small delay at max, the main SMC defence hard point is on the 2nd floor, and any kind of siege like cannons is mostly useless.

Cerby.1069, structures are designed to be capped no defended, reason game is this blobly drop 5+ rams on gate and u can ignore cannons, even some groups are so big have have so much water splasher that they can stand 100% of time uneder a few sup ac’s…

Another reason for Anet easy cap flaw design is that Anet pairs blobly servers against small population servers, exactly to make the cap easy.

So with this is not the cannon at fault…

You contradicted urself at least twice in that little monologue to urself there. Out of all the comments this one is by far the most smug and meaningless.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

no i didnt , it migth be a english issue more than im contradicting myself, ill try to read it again to find what went wrong with the “engrish”

(EDIT)

ok, ill try to explain in another way since i think most WvW’s dont even understand what is the WvW problems, Anet aven dont care or dont know or both…..since most only blob and quit game if they cant ktrain….

First of all 1 cannon cannot solve the defense, even sometimes 2 cannons firing at the rams and larger group drop arround 4-5 rams and they will breach into structure faster than the defense can actually defend…even if defense as AC’s as well.

This is the first WvW issue, as much siege games tend to have populations gap, this game dont offer any other mechanics besides stack n cap, so there if u were only the cannon firing at the rams i dont see how u wanted to save the situation.
Siege tends to be the first thing to be cleared, either way SMC would be lost even if u destroyed their siege, they would have built more..

T1 needs to be meaningless that is how the game is designed, like i said game is not about defending, its all about cap faster than the other servers, reason Anet pairs big server against smaller and much smaller servers, another FAULT forced by ANet so the smaller servers will only create gameplay for the biggers server to keep capping back strtuctures, so again if u were the only one defending SMC, dont expect to save the situation.
It would be needed 1 or 2 more players with siege over the gate shooting from the 2nd floor wich is the best way to defend SMC inner gates(since AC’s can hit the gate form the 2nd floor).

Anet dont want servers with same population timezone figthing each other, if a server manages to defend structures that will not create the gameplay ANet wants, and will stale the “ktrains”.

The matchmaking system if u notice pairs even very empty server with servers that can almost ktrain their 24/7, the other server migh have a peak of population density but ill never be a threat to the big server, it is not a siege problem, but a overall core design and Anet bluntness in favour or making the gamemode easy for those who stack.

You are complaing against something Anet wants to happen if ur server not usign certain gimmicks to counter it, as in more population.

p.s dont ballistas do more damge to other siege? u should have a balli near that cannon as well, but that would make offensive hostiles build a shield gen or spike u down there.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Tiawal.2351

Tiawal.2351

I wouldn’t mind if siege damage would be increased, or more precisely adjusted as needed (maybe one shoot kill isn’t a good ideea either), but siege should affect ONLY siege, and not players.

I don’t care about siege wars part, it’s the worse part of GW2, together with “fighting” NPC’s. Siege and NPC’s, doors and walls, and sometimes a zerg chasing a solo player… these all made a very bad reputation to GW2 WvW. Instead we need new ways to put players on the map, so both sides have players – who WANT to fight with their swords, not spaceship meta and shooting from the top of SMC. A new matchmaking system, even if the 24/7 have to go, servers have to end, replaced by teams balanced constantly just like the PvP mode has… Let there be fun fights, not this solo shooting with a cannon into a blob that ktrains mindlessly.

A wandering ronin, employed by [ENMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Radioactive.1248

Radioactive.1248

I feel pretty comfortable speaking for my guild of 30+ people in saying that we couldn’t disagree more with you. Cannons are awful, and if anything, they should be nerfed, not buffed.

Star Player
[KEK]

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

No, the damage is fine. There is more to defending than using a cannon (as people have stated like Siege disables). “Secured” T1 or whatever ANET wishes to call it is designed in this manner. It gives some protection. Not complete. There will be more to defending the objective in this vulnerable state than a single cannon. That is why your enemies are hitting a T1 objective…before it can upgrade to T2→T3.

The only real issue with Oil and Cannon is that you can’t stay on the ones positioned by gates. It should pulse a stack of stab at best, but not a damage increase.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

funny players do more damage than siege, except a balli of course, all it is neede dis aoe spammers XD with a tons of condis, problem solved

in WvW

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

So cannons are weak, but everyone still destroys them.

If they are too weak, why are they threatening enough to need to be destroys?

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

funny players do more damage than siege, except a balli of course, all it is neede dis aoe spammers XD with a tons of condis, problem solved

really ?
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fire_
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Coalescence_of_Ruin

So 1 damage 50 players from 3750 range 1 damage 5 players from 1200 range, and you even compare them…

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

really ?
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fire_
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Coalescence_of_Ruin

So 1 damage 50 players 1 damage 5 , and you even compare damage. …

no im not compairin since its very situational, cannon damage can be healled back very very easilly, a aoe bomb trough gate with aoe classes will melt players on the rams, with hammer bolt alone im hitting arround 2.5k on siege, siege is very easy aoe’ed from players, and to counter siege nothign is better than a ballista if u dont have enught players to aoe spam that zone.

spreaded damage < high damage focused in one area (usually where siege is), since for the 50 target damage siege to work u need more than one person using siege.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

They got an indirect 50% damage nerf that I’m not entirely sure Anet noticed. They weren’t all that great before, either, tbh. However, the inner cannon being able to hit through the gate is too powerful anyway.

in WvW

anduriell.6280

What?
So you expect 1 guy to be able to counter an large zerg ?
Woow so smart ….
Imo delete cannons and a mortars, so those carebears learn to fight not use sieges
P.S next time use siege disabbler than run to cannon

and 1 -2 or even 10 guys shoudn’t be able to hold of a large group (50 players) or the game would be completly broken

Siege disabler already affect cannons .

like Seriously? Nobody else thought to answer this fella? Am i the only one here that knows this?

I TOLD YOU SO

in WvW

Posted by: Blades Of Fatalis.1279

Blades Of Fatalis.1279

he was referring to disabling the ram and then getting on the cannon. but in answer to your question, no, you are not the only one who knows this, but for some reason quite a large number of people don’t seem to realize that all siege is able to be disabled including cannons and mortars.

in WvW

Posted by: Tomahawk.7361

Tomahawk.7361

I would not mind just seeing how it would go if canons did more damage to siege and far less to players.

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

And SMC never, ever flipped again, the people rejoice.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yep. They get taken out not because they are weak, but because they are strong. Same with oil. Sure it gets taken out at the start but that’s only because the attack immediately fails if it’s not.

Shoot it for chill and stuff. When they start targeting the cannon, then go over and try to disable.

Common Zergs are easily distracted. If you throw garbage blueprints off to the front, they’re guaranteed to go after it instead of you. I can pull on average a 10-15 people out of the lord’s room simply by placing a regular ballista blueprint outside of it.

You shouldn’t be able to singlehandedly defend SMC. You use defenses to slow them down while you get your own defenders. So you use the cannon until they start targeting you, then you go to the oil and use the dome and maybe a single pot drop if you can survive, then you disable/build acs, or at worse you retreat to inner, rinse and repeat.

If you want to seriously troll objective attackers, you’d be best served making a class with decent stealth uptime and survival (namely, Scrapper/DD/Chrono) since they can throw disablers with almost no way to stop it. Especially since Daredevils can leap out stealthed and throw a disabler from behind their zerg and still get out unscathed.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

anduriell.6280

Yep. They get taken out not because they are weak, but because they are strong. Same with oil. Sure it gets taken out at the start but that’s only because the attack immediately fails if it’s not.

Shoot it for chill and stuff. When they start targeting the cannon, then go over and try to disable.

Common Zergs are easily distracted. If you throw garbage blueprints off to the front, they’re guaranteed to go after it instead of you. I can pull on average a 10-15 people out of the lord’s room simply by placing a regular ballista blueprint outside of it.

You shouldn’t be able to singlehandedly defend SMC. You use defenses to slow them down while you get your own defenders. So you use the cannon until they start targeting you, then you go to the oil and use the dome and maybe a single pot drop if you can survive, then you disable/build acs, or at worse you retreat to inner, rinse and repeat.

If you want to seriously troll objective attackers, you’d be best served making a class with decent stealth uptime and survival (namely, Scrapper/DD/Chrono) since they can throw disablers with almost no way to stop it. Especially since Daredevils can leap out stealthed and throw a disabler from behind their zerg and still get out unscathed.

^this. so much truth here i’m blinded.

Also i wouldn’t mind less damage from siege to players… It getting weird when a bunker guardian win 3v1 fights with his superior ballista

I TOLD YOU SO