Catapult defending - unintentional? Bug?

in WvW

Posted by: Gizmo.8921

Gizmo.8921

Hi guys, we ran a guild event yesterday in WvW in Sea of Sorrows and we noticed something when taking a keep/fort that I don’t think is actually intentional by game design.

What happened was that defenders would place 1-3 catapults inside the keep/fort and keep hitting the door.

What this resulted in was that anyone at the door (melee, rams) would get knocked back due to the knock back effect, also loosing health. It became a standard defending method over time, where every keep would have at least 2 catapults inside knocking attackers away. This prolonged taking of the keep tremendously and for smaller groups made it even impossible

A simple fix would be simply cause own catapults to cause damage as well, then if they do wish to keep hitting the door, they will end up smashing their own door down. Plus this would be logical.

Sea of Sorrows
OCX

in WvW

Posted by: Lofty.8759

Lofty.8759

That would cause massive greifing.

Think before you post.

in WvW

Gizmo.8921

I don’t think it would cause griefing from your own side, but if it would – then simply make so the knock back effect doesn’t get past the door and affect the attackers.

Sea of Sorrows
OCX

(edited by Gizmo.8921)

in WvW

Posted by: Lofty.8759

Lofty.8759

I was referring to the part about them being to break your own doors.

Woosh.

in WvW

Posted by: BrickFurious.7169

BrickFurious.7169

I’d like to know the answer to this, is this intended? Because if so, it completely negates flame rams and golems when sieging a keep. Catapults aimed at our own gate from the inside have become standard on defense now.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

If they fix that they need to fix everything going through doors so I can repair them without dying to the megazerg hitting the door. Until then, range the door down, use your own cat to bash the door.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Alpha Dragon.4576

Alpha Dragon.4576

If they fix that they need to fix everything going through doors so I can repair them without dying to the megazerg hitting the door. Until then, range the door down, use your own cat to bash the door.

Agreed some spells/skills passed thru the door defending/attacking part.

- Dare to be Different –
Eternal Breaker[ExB] || Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Gizmo.8921

You can easily repair the door without getting hit with AOE from the other side by simply staying at the very edge of the repair radius (instead running against/to the door).

Sea of Sorrows
OCX

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

I think we basically invented the catapult defense, at least on our server and I think we recently fought you. Frankly, catapults are not that good at door defense. Their damage is relatively low. The knockdown is nice but the damage to rams is less than a good level 80 Elementalist attack.

The only reason we do it is because catapults can survive the retaliation hits and nothing else can.

I can’t flamethrower you through the door because retaliation kills me. Our elementalists can’t drop bombs on the door because retaliation kills them. I can’t mortar the door because my mortar blows up from retaliation. I can’t arrow cart the door because retaliation murders arrow carts. Ballistas are nice but there are very few areas where a defensive ballista can hit people on the door (and not be easily killed). The oil died in the first 15 seconds and nobody is dumb enough to stand under it anyway.

So we started using catapults.

It’s really a last ditch effort to counter massive retaliation stacks.

If you nerf them, the only thing we will be able to do is stand there and watch the door die and hope that our own team’s zerg shows up in the 30 seconds it takes you to break the door down.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Or to put it another way, if retaliation didn’t exist, we would not use catapults. The catapult operators themselves can do more knockbacks and more damage than the catapult they’re using. They just can’t survive the retaliation.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Sanzul.9268

Sanzul.9268

Probably not intended, but very easily countered. Build a catapult or ballista and just shoot the wall down. If the defenders are manning catapults inside the keep, they can’t even touch you. If they abandon those to return fire, your melee can go back to pummeling the gate. Either way, pretty much every defensive strategy except “fill the walls with trebuchets” can be countered by shooting down the walls/gate with siege weapons. And since trebuchets and mortars have a long minimum range, you can counter those by rushing the walls and hitting them with AoE.

You can easily repair the door without getting hit with AOE from the other side by simply staying at the very edge of the repair radius (instead running against/to the door).

That depends on what they’re hitting it with. There’s plenty of AoE that’s as wide as a tower gate.

in WvW

Posted by: arknor.6245

arknor.6245

Ofcourse its not intended…

I’ts obviously an exploit and I hope they start sending GM’s into battlegrounds and banning anyone found to be doing it.

2 people sitting behind a reinforced door on catapults can hold a zerg of 50 players at bay for 20minutes or more….

They need to either make your own siege damage your own doors or remove damage/effects passng through walls/doors

(edited by arknor.6245)

in WvW

Posted by: Preacher.9018

Preacher.9018

It is pretty standard now – arrow carts, catapults behind doors: as both sides benefit from aoes hitting through the door (i.e. defenders cant repair the door, while attackers cant stay near the door safely).

If you encounter that -just use own catapults/trebs to attack from distance instead of bashing the door, or nuke the keeps siege weapons positions inside with own siege weapons.

http://www.pevepe.net/ – Seafarers Rest Server community website