Chatting with server enemies

in WvW

Posted by: CookieCrumbz.6328

CookieCrumbz.6328

I feel like a large part of the appeal of WvW over more traditional PvP is the idea that it’s harder for people to talk smack and harass you due to it being relatively anonymous. It makes kills and being killed feel less personal. (Though I guess that could be seen as good or bad.)

In WvW, the option to add a server enemy to the party and talk to them seems pretty neat, since it lets you choose to accept or ignore, which should theoretically allow you to decide whether or not they can chat to you.

However, recently someone tried to add me to the party and I declined, but in the time that the request was up, they had my account name which popped up or something, and manually whispered me a bunch of flame and harassed me anyway. I did simply block them, but it would be a lot more pleasant to not have had to deal with the message in the first place.

Is there any way to make it so enemies can’t see any of your info until you accept?

I do think that you should be able to comm with enemy servers via party system since it is a community oriented game, but it would be neat to be able to have a little more control over who sends me smack and who doesn’t.

~Rei
Blackgate
Thief | Mesmer | Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

I’ve generally had pretty good experiences while roaming. Met some awesome people from both JQ and SoR along the way.

Does seem that whispers needs to be fixed though.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Kairnabel.1542

Kairnabel.1542

I would totally agree with having the enemy not being able to see your Account Name unless you accept. I don’t understand the whole point having your Account Name accessible to everyone that adds you to your Friends List or Guild.

Would like some system implemented like the Real ID from Battle.Net and they can only see your Account Name if you give them your Email Address, and only your character’s name when you add them just by the character name.

Having your account name revealed can be kind of risky, especially if there are hackers or “kiddies” harassing to take your account down because you killed them for a solution to make themselves feel superior.

in WvW

Posted by: abiyde.5064

abiyde.5064

I will defend the system as it exists because you need to be able to see the account name to report hackers.

I guess you could remove cross-server whispers entirely leaving party invites as the only means of communication, but the system as it currently stands seems less broken than any other alternative.

YB Scrub

in WvW

Posted by: Epic.3950

Epic.3950

if someone whispered you because you declined to accept their party I would bet almost a million dollars on the fact you were taunting someone who got zerged down by your zerg… ive never seen anyone else decline an invite before and still get harassed for anything else

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I’ve met many people through the party system, 90% of the time it’s a friendly chat or offers to duel but yer the other 10% of the time it’s cause 6 people taunted me with /laugh so I hide in towers till I can wipe the 6 with 3 guildies then throw siege all over them or something similar….

I hate playing emote wars 2 but personally if you start it I’ll consume enough Zhaitaffi to throw up all over you!

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: CookieCrumbz.6328

CookieCrumbz.6328

if someone whispered you because you declined to accept their party I would bet almost a million dollars on the fact you were taunting someone who got zerged down by your zerg… ive never seen anyone else decline an invite before and still get harassed for anything else

lol no, me and a few people chased a guy from SM and he got away into a nearby tower and messaged me to tell us how bad we were at the game

~Rei
Blackgate
Thief | Mesmer | Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

It’s not supposed to show you their account info from party invites, but sometimes it will change from x server y rank to their name. If you’re reasonably quick to decline the invite, often times it wont’ happen.

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

I will defend the system as it exists because you need to be able to see the account name to report hackers.

I guess you could remove cross-server whispers entirely leaving party invites as the only means of communication, but the system as it currently stands seems less broken than any other alternative.

How are those reports working out for ya? lol :P I thought that for a brief second then remembered that nothing gets done about hackers anyway.

Whispers with meat.