Closing EOTM and second tournament

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

If we get rid of a lot of the other outliers, the main reason people don’t TRY wvw is because they can get a watered down version in EoTM. It’s a place that encourages karma training and commanders who actively avoid each other. Honestly, this whole game, with the mega servers and mechanics, has become “blob to win” in every sense of the word. The large map trains that happen in pve have carried over to WvW with players who never have a chance to experience WvW flocking to EoTM in order to get a gift of battle or a daily. It actively encourages commanders and players to avoid one another and has become a zombie mentality. Granted, it’s a limited sample size, but I’ve come across a few players in PvE that have expressed how “boring” wvw was because all they did was jump into EoTM and attacked empty structures, rarely seeing another player or group.

Honestly, at this stage in the game’s cycle, what purpose does it server minus the occasional guild going in there and trolling? It just takes potential players away from actual maps/servers. The idea was good at one point, but it just seems like it’s hurting the game mode now. You are welcome to disagree and all opinions are welcome, but there is no denying that it started off as a lobby in order to facilitate the overflow of players who were interested and could not get into wvw. It’s served it’s purpose, and is now hampering the potential for WvW to continue to grow.

My other suggestion was another tournament. It can be kitten only, but I know for a fact it would bring players back. The tournament itself doesn’t need to mean anything, but it’s highly symbolic that you guys aren’t giving/have completely given up on the game mode. I’ve heard countless times that people need extra motivation to get them interested. You just have to bait the hook. Honestly, an unpaid intern can do this one. Just announce the winner for each grouping – it does not matter how it’s scored really. Just get this thing going.

Also, you might want to throw in a GvG tournament in a guild hall. There are people doing this, just give them your blessing. Put the streams up on your twitter. It wouldn’t cost you anything. Just keep a mod/dev in the loop and monitor it. Any carrot at this point would revitalize the game mode.

Also, pls make epidemic blockable. Ty.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

You have capable pvp experience or you don’t.
You have a pvp capable build or you don’t.
You have a pvp capable group or you don’t.

There is a huge disparity in capability in wvw which makes zerging kind of an inevitable outcome. About the only thing holding wvw together are copy paste builds and downed state. So it’s not surprising EotM draws potential wvw population as people can play whatever they want at any skill level they are and feel adequate. If everyone is bad then you have a reasonable chance to win at a pvp mode.

in WvW

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I like how folks blame everything on EoTM. Obviously you havent been out there in at least a year. Since Anet removed XP gain, most folks are out there with their 80 characters. And as for you comment on ‘avoiding fights’, I’ve seen more fights in EotM in one 4-hour match than you can potentially see in a 1-day fight in WvW.

And don’t try to say that WvW takes more skill. I play both, and WvW involves trying to ‘stealth’ siege structures, jump maps to avoid enemy zergs so you can back cap, among other questionable tactics. Yes, the fights are more ‘epic’, but WvW, regardless of what the ‘pros’ say, is based on numbers. The zergs with the most numbers will usually win.

Regardless of what zone you like, each involves spamming autoattack and AoEs.

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

EOTM – the new Boogieman

EOTM being closed or used in place of EB will not add any value to the WvW game mode.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

I think if you close EotM, you might have even fewer players in the mists.
I look at EotM as the rookie league, and WvW as the equivalent to sPvP’s diamond league.
If you force new players into diamond league you won’t have many that stay there long.

Of course Anet would have the numbers of PvE players that went to EotM and moved on to WvW to stay and how many jumped directly from PvE and stayed.

in WvW

Posted by: expandas.7051

expandas.7051

the main reason people don’t TRY wvw is because they can get a watered down version in EoTM.

That’s a pretty strong and unsubstantiated assertion to make, one that I’m not entirely convinced is true. The idea that closing EotM will somehow increase WvW populations doesn’t solve the core issue in your third sentence, which is that “blob to win” is the way to go. This is no different than introducing paired servers- a change that increased population in the short term, but did nothing to address long-term issues.

(edited by expandas.7051)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Wvw players, kinda weird.
They don’t want increased rewards to try and make the mode attractive to pve players.
They don’t want achievement hunters from tournaments in wvw.
They don’t want players coming in for dailies and potentially trying out wvw during that time.
They don’t want players using the crafting tables who potentially could rally to a defense.
They don’t want the guildless pugs following their zergs.
They don’t want pugs following them around unless they are on teamspeak, until they need more numbers to counter a blob.

But they would like to destroy eotm game mode to force all those type of players into wvw and borderland maps.

Mister?
Doctor…
Mister Doctor…
It’s Strange…
Maybe, who am I to judge.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

At this point there are players who only play in EotM and have entire guilds still built around that. So while it is a theory that would increase the numbers in WvW, my guess is those people would simply leave. No guarantee either way really.

I also agree with the statements above that people thinking that EotM is mindless haven’t been there in some time. I take my alt accounts in there at times to mess around, try out new builds, etc. It amazes me that there are actually some very solid fights. Its not always like that of course. Often there has been coordinated k-training going on. Not nearly as much as two years ago.

We’ve debated tournaments around here for years now. With the population being what it is, there just isn’t any way that is going to be competitive. I’d love to see an official GvG competition. That would be excellent.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Wvw players, kinda weird.
They don’t want increased rewards to try and make the mode attractive to pve players.
They don’t want achievement hunters from tournaments in wvw.
They don’t want players coming in for dailies and potentially trying out wvw during that time.
They don’t want players using the crafting tables who potentially could rally to a defense.
They don’t want the guildless pugs following their zergs.
They don’t want pugs following them around unless they are on teamspeak, until they need more numbers to counter a blob.

But they would like to destroy eotm game mode to force all those type of players into wvw and borderland maps.

Mister?
Doctor…
Mister Doctor…
It’s Strange…
Maybe, who am I to judge.

They just want more pugs in wvw so they can 1111111 more players down with their leet guild and feel laika boss.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch