Colin Johanson on GW2

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/colin-johanson-on-guild-wars-2-in-the-months-ahead/

OK, What About WvW (Or WuvWuh)?

Many of the features, expanded reward systems, and potentially even live event storylines described above will also play a part in World vs. World in 2013. We also have other specific features that we’re focusing on developing for our WvW community that we want to make sure you’re aware of.

Polishing the existing WvW experience to ensure it shines in every way possible is a major goal for us which requires addressing major areas we know need a lot of attention. We’ve been working on two of these projects for a while now, and both have proven far more complicated to solve than we’d hoped, but we’re getting really close and have made tremendous progress.

Firstly, we’ll be adding paid server transfers, with time limitations and WvW restrictions, and guestingability, which allows players to visit friends on other servers in every part of the game except for WvW. To encourage players to stick with a single server for WvW and fight for the pride of that server, server changes will incur a fee and have time limitations. Second, we’ll make improvements to culling. We recently ran small tests on Live to help us move towards eliminating as much culling from WvW as possible. The results have been promising, and we have a number of additional culling features in development. If all goes well, our hope is 2013 is the year culling ceases to exist, or is as minimal as possible in the WvW experience.

We’re adding new features as well. We’ll introduce a system of prestige and advancement specifically designed for WvW. This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses, and with them gain prestige and visible titles/recognition. Also, we’ll add a new motivation to the WvW domain that goes beyond the overall weekly score to give more short term reasons to be winning in WvW as well. We’ll discuss all these features in more detail as we get closer to release!

I hope they have more planned for WvW other than paid server transfers and titles. If this is our big “February/March” update….I’m not overly impressed…

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses

Yeap..Realm Rank system finally coming to W3..Sweet

Wonder if they’ll do it character based or account based.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

(edited by Xsorus.2507)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Musty.3148

Musty.3148

If they can fix culling and get the ranks in place I’ll be one happy camper.

80 Elementalist/80 Mesmer/80 Guardian/80 Thief
Now Musty Britches since someone decided Shortbus Rider was offensive… [LoS] [NSP]

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Stanley.3295

Stanley.3295

To stretch the longevity of the game, i am guessing character based and probably class specific.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

To stretch the longevity of the game, i am guessing character based and probably class specific.

Yea, it has pluses and minus’s based on that approach.

Pluses is you reduce the benefit for leveling the flavor of the month, someone who sticks with a character will be more powerful then someone who just rolls what ever is overpowered that month.

Minus though is you do reduce the amount of alts being rolled, you want people to roll new characters in your game…

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

interesting, thanks for posting it!

Sanctum of Rall

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: EnoLive.2367

EnoLive.2367

my money is that it will be based on this:

@ Point 9:
Commander Ranking could even use a similar structure to a game I used to play, I will place their Wiki page on this but is not an inducement for the game as I urge people not to play this cash hungry game but the ranking system would work very well with GW2.
http://wiki.erepublik.com/index.php/Military_rank
But remove the 5% attack bonus they have and you have a very good base for ranking.
Points wise this could be done with a combination of Kills = 1 point, Capture = 2 points and Defense = 3 points.
But the full ranking of the link need not be applied as in the intermediate ranking between rank levels

Co Leader & Founder “Privateers Uk” [PUK]
Gandara
Eno Live (Ele)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Working in culling fix and paid transfers. But to keep it short here is the meaty part.

We’re adding new features as well. We’ll introduce a system of prestige and advancement specifically designed for WvW. This will give players a progression path where they earn new WvW-only abilities and bonuses, and with them gain prestige and visible titles/recognition. Also, we’ll add a new motivation to the WvW domain that goes beyond the overall weekly score to give more short term reasons to be winning in WvW as well. We’ll discuss all these features in more detail as we get closer to release!

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

This is great news. Can’t wait to see what they mean by “new abilities and bonuses.” I’m so excited!!

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Attic.1562

Attic.1562

I wonder how hilariously unbalanced and/or worthless the RAs will be. And if RR isn’t account wide I’ll be severely annoyed.

Oh well, maybe they’ll have something that could be confused with, in bad lighting, server pride sometime within the next 6 months . How exciting.
Of course there will be mass transfers right before the patch that will probably screw up everything for the next year. But hey, you can’t have everything.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Samhayn.2385

Samhayn.2385

Just to touch on something mentioned above. I can’t see them adding +% damage or defense as a bonus. It would really keep people from jumping in wvw with an alt and would discourage new player who would get stomped out the first time they came in to wvw. Maybe if the damage or defense was vs siege/doors/npcs but not players.

If anything I would picture titles, ability to build/repair faster, hold more supply, maybe base movement speed increase, access to ascended gear and gear with more deverse stats then currently offered, etc.

It was 2 vs 20 but its ok we got’em both!

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

I hope they didnt forget commanders…

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Tallis.5607

Tallis.5607

o_O Going from ‘progression path’ to ‘ranking’ is a big jump, me think. What makes you so sure it will not be ‘do x events’ and ‘have y kills’ to ‘progres’ ?

Also… I am pretty worried about ranks in WWW because they usually favor the DPS-people. Currently, the loot is purely based on DPS: no matter how much you buffed, debuffed and/or healed, if you didn’t do enough damage on a mob, you don’t get loot. I hope that if they implement a ranking system (which I don’t see as needed in WWW, but okay) that this raking will not purely be based on DPS.

Tallis – Perpetual newbie – Tarnished Coast.
Always carries a towel – Never panics – Eats cookies.

(edited by Tallis.5607)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

Mmmm, i dont know if i really want realm abilities. Unless every class has access to the same ones. And they cant be huge either. Thats just another thing they will have to balance.

Last thing i want is a certain class getting nerfed because of its realm ability. For example, a RA that gives 5% damage. Now said class is OP and the core class gets nerfed, etc.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Burl.9567

Burl.9567

o_O Going from ‘’progression path’ to ‘ranking’ is an big jump, me think. What makes you so sure it will not be ‘do x events’ and ‘have y kills’ to ‘progres’ ?

Also… I am pretty worried about ranks in WWW because they usually favor the DPS-people. Currently, the loot is purely based on DPS: no matter how much you buffed, debuffed and/or healed, if you didn’t do enough damage on a mob, you don’t get loot. I hope that if they implement a ranking system (which I don’t see as needed in WWW, but okay) that this raking will not purely be based on DPS.

I’m more scared that individuals will get prestige from taking camps/towers/keeps. This will just lead to point swapping to gain prestige (anyone remember War?). I really hope they put more thought into this than that group over at Mythic.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Magiofdeath.2745

Magiofdeath.2745

These features do sound interesting.

They will also give more reasons for SoS to gloat, lol. ;P

Fort Aspenwood | Kurzick ftw!

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

Renown ranks/abilities.. so pushing the gap between casual players or low rank alts/high level chars further apart.

I despised the renown ranks in WaR, or valor gear in SWTOR, or prestige in Rift… etc etc.

Sure hope these abilities are purely WvW related, i.e siege type abilities and not something that actually makes a difference in the combat itself.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: TogoChubb.3984

TogoChubb.3984

When can we get a mass guild email option? I hate trying to communicate with all of my guildmates and having to send each of them an email and running into the email suppression.

I wouldn’t mind leaving free server transfers (say once a month) in WvW if you wanted to transfer to a lower populated server or a lower ranked server not in your current matchup. This will help ease the transition into paid transfers so we don’t see death to lower tier servers. Also, I would like to see guild parties available for WvW so you could see where all of your guildies are on the map because the five person party is just not enough.

Please remove the AoE cap in WvW!!!!!!

Commander Togochubb aka Chubby
Perfect Dark [PD] – Yaks Bend

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

Renown ranks/abilities.. so pushing the gap between casual players or low rank alts/high level chars further apart.

I despised the renown ranks in WaR, or valor gear in SWTOR, or prestige in Rift… etc etc.

Sure hope these abilities are purely WvW related, i.e siege type abilities and not something that actually makes a difference in the combat itself.

The key is striking a balance.

Warhammer had Realm Rank + Gear Differences between rank, Rift had the Valor stat + gear difference…SWTOR had the gear difference.

DAOC was probably the best balanced version of it, You had basically the Rank difference, The difference between RR1 and RR10 was a lot, but the difference between RR5 and RR10 wasn’t that great it couldn’t be overcomed…RR5 didn’t take long to get either..

Generally to avoid imbalances you want to avoid Gear Differences between ranks or Double Differences, AKA two sets of things… like Valor + Gear for example (I was the person who pushed for Valor in rift be the same across all PvP gear, I had massive posts on the issue explaining that the reason Valor existed was not to separate PvP Ranks, as PvP Gear already did that in the form of stats, but Valor Existed to separate PVE and PvP gear. You can go look up some of my posts under Sorovos on their website) I remember making my massive post, and 2 weeks later them changing it in the form of a patch to follow my suggestion.

Warhammer Online was also unique in its approach to Gear + Realm Rank, since you could basically level up entirely on PvP in that game once ya hit 40 you actually weren’t completely screwed over in that game, Since you were probably going to be RR40 anyway, which wasn’t to much of a difference from RR80, Back before Sovereign gear became more common most of the gear you used was based more on what the set bonus’s of the gear was..For example, for a Shadow Warrior or Squig Herder, Warlord gear was honestly a step down from Invader gear (a lot of classes were like that, Knight of the Blazing Sun as well) which was a Rank Above Invader…The gear sets honestly didn’t start to become super imbalanced till they added the gear past RR80

the Difference between RR80 and RR100 in that game was actually quite substantial just on gear alone.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

o_O Going from ‘’progression path’ to ‘ranking’ is an big jump, me think. What makes you so sure it will not be ‘do x events’ and ‘have y kills’ to ‘progres’ ?

I’m more scared that individuals will get prestige from taking camps/towers/keeps. This will just lead to point swapping to gain prestige (anyone remember War?). I really hope they put more thought into this than that group over at Mythic.

The key to stopping point swapping is to reward Defense more then Offense in terms of taking Keeps/Towers/Camps.

For Example leveling up in Warhammer Online you generally wanted to get on the oil and defend every keep possible, because you were going to get a ton of levels doing it + realm points.. Once ya hit 40 the reward for defense vs offense was less then before, cause gear become an option on the offense side, it skewed the reward system in its favor. Thus you had people wanting to swap keeps and such.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

It’s all good and everything, but it’s not even mentioned that WvW is one huge zerg-fest.
I really hope they have something in store that will decrease the viability of running 100v10 in WvW, it’s getting tiresome that its quantity over quality.
So yep. I really hope they adress this issue, and create an incentive for running in smaller groups. For instance make sure the RI actually makes the NPC invulnerable, the way it is now, a zerg is actually necessary!

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Xsorus.2507

It’s all good and everything, but it’s not even mentioned that WvW is one huge zerg-fest.
I really hope they have something in store that will decrease the viability of running 100v10 in WvW, it’s getting tiresome that its quantity over quality.
So yep. I really hope they adress this issue, and create an incentive for running in smaller groups. For instance make sure the RI actually makes the NPC invulnerable, the way it is now, a zerg is actually necessary!

They’d have to change the down system, + remove the AOE cap on damage.

moving a zerg in daoc could be a challenge, as you had roaming bands of 8 mans that could easily wipe your entire zerg in seconds.

Also that lead to a balance as well, the groups that could generally wipe zergs out were heavy on the AOE/PBAE classes, and actually fared quite poorly against 8v8 Groups built specifically for that. Hibs fared the best at it, Since Elds could do PBAE pretty good with their main 8v8 Spec, but the realms didn’t generally run PBAE Classes in their 8man setups unless designed for wiping zergs.

(edited by Xsorus.2507)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

Skilled (8 man is the right group size) should be able to wipe 20 man zergs if they are coordinated, higher ranked, and better geared. Anyone that cries in that 20 man zerg, should work on getting into a guild that runs 8 mans and combat them. That’s who was respected in Daoc.

The AOE cap is just a carebear way of limiting what skilled players can do. And giving every class the same choices of realm abilities is wrong. Play the class, and get dealt the cards with what the class’ abilities allow. That’s the POINT of different classes.

Make prestige KILL BASED not objective based. RP’s were based on kills, ANYONE can get high Realm Rank based on keep doors.

Not everyone is equal.

PAXA -GM

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Nyorai.1630

Nyorai.1630

Pretty wary of the progression thing. Very fine line to walk for Anet to not turn this into a aoe zergfest and nothing else, not to discourage new players and so on.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Aieo.2815

Aieo.2815

They will be adding paid transfers, guesting feature and a system that goes beyond the overall weekly score giving it more reason to win the current matchup! I think it’s time to pick a perma home server.

Sea of Sorrows > Jade Quarry > Sea of Sorrows
Effing rallybot

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Furgerat.7842

Furgerat.7842

1.) Up the AOE cap to 10.
2.) if you’re thinking of the DAOC style RR/abilities dont think just mirror it. (like someone said getting to RR5 was easy mode but getting from RR9-RR10 took forever and the increase was minimal)
3.) when i say mirror i mean in every way.. you have to kill players to get points.. none of this RVdoor stuff.. straight PVP in WvW. I guess killing sentrys could give a small amount etc.. Also if you solo someone you get more RP’s then if a zerg ROFLstomps a solo.. IE solo kill =250RPS, 25 man zerg roflstomps poor smuck they all get 10RP’s.
4.)Why no mention of changing the downed state or rally? Rally is why zergs dominate…. eliminate it already.
5.) WTB A STICK BUTTON.. we have a guild leader AKA driver for a reason!!! so the rest of can be lazy until we here INC.

feel free to add to my list or disagree.. feedback is good.

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

(edited by Furgerat.7842)

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Furgerat…I dont think i could write anything other than i agree with everything you’re saying. So does our small man PAXA on NSP. We’re all voting for all the above.

Kill based ranks. PERIOD. When you kill someone, they should be killed. Shouldnt require us to do it twice. AOE cap gaaaaaaabye. Make the ranks seem impossible to accomplish. rr10 was millions of RP’s…And alot of people accomplished it. Just not the majority.

PAXA -GM

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

“We recently ran small tests on Live to help us move towards eliminating as much culling from WvW as possible. The results have been promising, and we have a number of additional culling features in development.”

The results were not promising. The results were really bad on the end of people who fight with few vs many as it severely cripples them.

If you incorporate culling similar to the test you ran then you are once more appealing to the “zerg everything” mentality while completely ignoring the dedicated WvW guilds that are in the game.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Wothan.4673

Wothan.4673

So.. the post launch stuff and the February patch is now “current 2013” … /lol

Nahtow – [SR] Soul Reapers
Jade Quarry

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Furgerat…I dont think i could write anything other than i agree with everything you’re saying. So does our small man PAXA on NSP. We’re all voting for all the above.

Kill based ranks. PERIOD. When you kill someone, they should be killed. Shouldnt require us to do it twice. AOE cap gaaaaaaabye. Make the ranks seem impossible to accomplish. rr10 was millions of RP’s…And alot of people accomplished it. Just not the majority.

I remember when i got to RR5 in DAOC there was 3 major abilities that were MUST HAVES and you could get them at RR5. After that is was mostly fluff. Aug Strength/dex/con and so on.. so the increases in the big picture were minimal.. RR1-RR5 was like 520k RPS.. RR9-RR10 millions.. Someone find the old school DAOC RR chart that shows the breakdown please..

Chop Chop.

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

ADD is working OT today… i know this doesnt look pretty but im lazy and i dont want to just paste a link.

Realm rank # and level, # of RPS needed, # of points to spend.
Realm Level Realm Points RA Points Titles
1L1 0 1 Albion: Guardian
1L2 25 2 Hibernia: Savant
1L3 125 3 Midgard: Skiltvakten
1L4 350 4
1L5 750 5
1L6 1,375 6
1L7 2,275 7
1L8 3,500 8
1L9 5,100 9
Realm Rank 2: +1 to skills
2L0 7,125 10 Albion: Warder
2L1 9,625 11 Hibernia: Cosantoir
2L2 12,650 12 Midgard: Isen Vakten
2L3 16,250 13
2L4 20,475 14
2L5 25,375 15
2L6 31,000 16
2L7 37,400 17
2L8 44,625 18
2L9 52,725 19
Realm Rank 3: +2 to skills
3L0 61,750 20 Albion: Myrmidon
3L1 71,750 21 Hibernia: Brehon
3L2 82,775 22 Midgard: Flammen Vakten
3L3 94,875 23
3L4 108,100 24
3L5 122,500 25
3L6 138,125 26
3L7 155,025 27
3L8 173,250 28
3L9 192,850 29
Realm Rank 4: +3 to skills
4L0 213,875 30 Albion: Gryphon Knight
4L1 236,375 31 Hibernian: Grove Protector
4L2 260,400 32 Midgard: Elding Vakten
4L3 286,000 33
4L4 313,225 34
4L5 342,125 35
4L6 372,750 36
4L7 405,150 37
4L8 439,375 38
4L9 475,475 39
Realm Rank 5: +4 to skills
5L0 513,500 40 Albion: Eagle Knight
5L1 553,500 41 Hibernia: Raven Ardent
5L2 595,525 42 Midgard: Stormur Vakten
5L3 639,625 43
5L4 685,850 44
5L5 734,250 45
5L6 784,875 46
5L7 837,775 47
5L8 893,000 48
5L9 950,600 49
Realm Rank 6: +5 to skills
6L0 1,010,625 50 Albion: Phoenix Knight
6L1 1,073,125 51 Hibernia: Silver Hand
6L2 1,138,150 52 Midgard: Isen Herra
6L3 1,205,750 53
6L4 1,275,975 54
6L5 1,348,875 55
6L6 1,424,500 56
6L7 1,502,900 57
6L8 1,584,125 58
6L9 1,668,225 59
Realm Rank 7: +6 to skills
7L0 1,755,250 60 Albion: Alerion Knight
7L1 1,845,250 61 Hibernia: Thunderer
7L2 1,938,275 62 Midgard: Flammen Herra
7L3 2,034,375 63
7L4 2,133,600 64
7L5 2,236,000 65
7L6 2,341,625 66
7L7 2,450,525 67
7L8 2,562,750 68
7L9 2,678,350 69
Realm Rank 8: +7 to skills
8L0 2,797,375 70 Albion: Unicorn Knight
8L1 2,919,875 71 Hibernia: Gilded Spear
8L2 3,045,900 72 Midgard: Elding Herra
8L3 3,175,500 73
8L4 3,308,725 74
8L5 3,445,625 75
8L6 3,586,250 76
8L7 3,730,650 77
8L8 3,878,875 78
8L9 4,030,975 79
Realm Rank 9: 8 to skills
9L0 4,187,000 80 Albion:Lion Knight
9L1 4,347,000 81 Hibernia: Tiarna
9L2 4,511,025 82 Midgard: Stormur Herra
9L3 4,679,125 83
9L4 4,851,350 84
9L5 5,027,750 85
9L6 5,208,375 86
9L7 5,393,275 87
9L8 5,582,500 88
9L9 5,776,100 89
Realm Rank 10: +9 to skills
10L0 5,974,125 90 Albion: Dragon Knight
10L1 6,176,625 91 Hibernia: Emerald Rider
10L2 6,383,650 92 Midgard: Einherjar
10L3 6,595,250 93
10L4 6,811,475 94
10L5 7,032,375 95
10L6 7,258,000 96
10L7 7,488,400 97
10L8 7,723,625 98
10L9 7,963,725 99
Realm Rank 11: +10 to skills
11L0 8,208,750 100 Albion: Lord/Lady <name>
11L1 9,111,713 101 Hibernia: Barun/Banharun <name>
11L2 10,114,001 102 Midgard: Herra/Fru <name>
11L3 11,226,541 103
11L4 12,461,460 104
11L5 13,832,221 105
11L6 15,353,765 106
11L7 17,042,680 107
11L8 18,917,374 108
11L9 20,998,286 109
Realm Rank 12: +11 to skills
12L0 23,308,097 110 Albion: Baronet/Baronetess <name>
12L1 25,871,988 111 Hibernia: Ard Tiarna/Ard Bantiara <name>
12L2 28,717,906 112 Midgard: Hersir/Baronsfru <name>
12L3 31,876,876 113
12L4 35,383,333 114
12L5 39,275,499 115
12L6 43,595,804 116
12L7 48,391,343 117
12L8 53,714,390 118
12L9 59,622,973 119

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Jscull.2514

THIS ABOVE SHOULD BE LAW! Daoc’ers need to come out of the woodworks and prove to Anet there are enough of us to make serious changes. Bring back Old Emain!

PAXA -GM

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

“and potentially even live event storylines”

I read that and thought of more “breakout” events, maybe a Godzilla SimCity event when you cap all points on a map Quaganzilla comes up and starts knocking down all tower/keep walls and destroys all stored supplies and upgrades.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’m all for RR type stuff being added. Just REALLY hope it’s account based not character based. A lot of things are starting to surface in this game that seem to want you to put in a ton of work to acquire and are character based rather than account based.

What the game doesn’t need is even more mechanics discouraging you from making alts.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

I’m all for RR type stuff being added. Just REALLY hope it’s account based not character based. A lot of things are starting to surface in this game that seem to want you to put in a ton of work to acquire and are character based rather than account based.

What the game doesn’t need is even more mechanics discouraging you from making alts.

this works for me as well. back in DAOC groups were alot more “SET” you needed X to run with this type of group or that etc… Thats why most people in DAOC had 1 or 2 toons MAX so they could play in either group setup. also known as “MAINS”…
This game its truly grab who you can and it works.. So im all for this.

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I think you guys might be jumping the gun slightly on misinterpreting what ANET is planning in the way of progression by equating it with things you’ve already seen (i.e. Realm Rank). Pretty sure is going to be vastly different a lot more mellow than most of you are thinking. This observation is based on a few years of watching people over reacting to every little shred of WvW news released prior to launch and seeing all the misconceptions people still had about it after the BWE’s.

Do agree that the world communities really need to get on the ball for the long term now that free transfers will be shut down soon and get ourselves a bit spread out. In the NA bracket we’ve gotten way too stacked in the top 4 and it is just getting more so everyday since current interest in WvW is down. I don’t want to go thru the release queue nightmare again. Let’s take the next couple of months to rebuild our communities based on the themes we originally intended and sort ourselves out before the shut off so it is not such a big mess watching the ladder settle back down again.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

2.) if you’re thinking of the DAOC style RR/abilities dont think just mirror it. (like someone said getting to RR5 was easy mode but getting from RR9-RR10 took forever and the increase was minimal)
3.) when i say mirror i mean in every way.. you have to kill players to get points.. none of this RVdoor stuff.. straight PVP in WvW. I guess killing sentrys could give a small amount etc.. Also if you solo someone you get more RP’s then if a zerg ROFLstomps a solo.. IE solo kill =250RPS, 25 man zerg roflstomps poor smuck they all get 10RP’s.
4.)Why no mention of changing the downed state or rally? Rally is why zergs dominate…. eliminate it already.
5.) WTB A STICK BUTTON.. we have a guild leader AKA driver for a reason!!! so the rest of can be lazy until we here INC.

agree on the points should be from killing actual players instead of PvDoor…

I disagree the new abilities should be something minimal that dont give boost to classes, if someone dedicates to level up the renown level in WvW, why shouldn’t they be rewarded? These abilities should be character bound instead of account bound, if not at least make it accessible to real level 80 characters instead of letting lowbie level 2’s able to roam around with those abilities.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Neandramathal.9536

Make prestige KILL BASED not objective based. RP’s were based on kills, ANYONE can get high Realm Rank based on keep doors.

How is it any better? This is another reason I am very unsure/unhappy with ranks.

Look at SWTOR for example… for your gear you had to do daily quests, originally the quests were for taking objectives and nothing else. People would stand and let each other take them, waiting for their turn to take it back. Then whined there was no PvP… even though the option was right infront of them but they didn’t take it because it didn’t give the reward…

So, they changed it to require kills instead. What happened next? Big groups of 30 players from each side would meet up and trade kills. So now they have to PvP, but they still choose not to actually do it.

It also brings another thing I hate about it, the whole “We just want the reward we don’t actually care about the fight” thing. If you add in ranks and rewards like this people will grind for them, then quit or whine they have nothing left to do. Sure there are people calling it make or break time for the game but those are the same people who quit 2-3 months into EVERY game, the ones who play purely for reward and not for the fun itself. They will always continue to do so, but putting in these reward levels forces others to do it too.

Now, I may be very wrong and it may all turn out very well balanced and very well thought out, the players may prove to be sensible. Personally at this stage I just see kill based rewards instead of objective based rewards creating kill trades/“duels” instead of keep trades. It also tends to push people towards certain classes/builds more as they can DPS like mad instead of support etc.

I loved the idea of the server rank instead of personal rank as it promotes teamplay but still allows people to cling onto their ego’s if they really have to.

Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

agree on the points should be from killing actual players instead of PvDoor…

I disagree the new abilities should be something minimal that dont give boost to classes, if someone dedicates to level up the renown level in WvW, why shouldn’t they be rewarded? These abilities should be character bound instead of account bound, if not at least make it accessible to real level 80 characters instead of letting lowbie level 2’s able to roam around with those abilities.

i stated in DAOC once you got all the goodies which you could get the really awesome tricks by RR5 the rest was mostly just stats improvements. This kept the casual player who is GOOD able to compete against the hardcore player who is also GOOD. Cant have a major swing from RRX to RRXX (remember im using RR5 as my baseline) because player skill gets diluted if the abilities get to OP.

player X is awesome, player XX is ok but player XX has zomg ubers RR abilities and facerolls his keyboard and destroys player X even tho player X is a better player. Make sense?

We moved servers in DAOC and once our 8 man was RR5+ we were beating the RR10 groups on our new server because we were better players,

see above..

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Jscull.2514

Neandra-

You are a commander. You dont run small man. Im willing to bet you never played DAOC and if you did, you didnt run 8mans. If you remove aoe cap, you give small mans the ability to destroy 30 man zergs. You lead those 20+ groups around.

Anet makes it kill based, and takes away AOE cap, the zergs start to disappear because they are made up of mostly lazy, lower skilled players. That’s what this does, puts the power in the most skilled players hands. Thats what people who disagree with these rules fear…NOT being able to compete. Well no crap, get organized and stop relying on others around you and numbers. Rely on yourself.

PAXA -GM

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

How is it any better? This is another reason I am very unsure/unhappy with ranks.

Look at SWTOR for example… for your gear you had to do daily quests, originally the quests were for taking objectives and nothing else. People would stand and let each other take them, waiting for their turn to take it back. Then whined there was no PvP… even though the option was right infront of them but they didn’t take it because it didn’t give the reward…

So, they changed it to require kills instead. What happened next? Big groups of 30 players from each side would meet up and trade kills. So now they have to PvP, but they still choose not to actually do it.

It also brings another thing I hate about it, the whole “We just want the reward we don’t actually care about the fight” thing. If you add in ranks and rewards like this people will grind for them, then quit or whine they have nothing left to do. Sure there are people calling it make or break time for the game but those are the same people who quit 2-3 months into EVERY game, the ones who play purely for reward and not for the fun itself. They will always continue to do so, but putting in these reward levels forces others to do it too.

Now, I may be very wrong and it may all turn out very well balanced and very well thought out, the players may prove to be sensible. Personally at this stage I just see kill based rewards instead of objective based rewards creating kill trades/“duels” instead of keep trades. It also tends to push people towards certain classes/builds more as they can DPS like mad instead of support etc.

I loved the idea of the server rank instead of personal rank as it promotes teamplay but still allows people to cling onto their ego’s if they really have to.

If WvW become Illum

/slitwrists

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

RP farming in DAOC was a 5 day suspension.. Trust me people ratted each other out left and right it was a very minimal issue.

I played DAOC for 3-4 years and ran with a constant 8 man and had 2 toons with over 5 million RPS. Average RPS per kill was about 175-200 RPS 27777 kills to acieve RR9 300k to achieve RR13.

people will not be hitting RR13 in months….

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Sacrx.6721

Sacrx.6721

What a load of vague tosh. PVE Driven story mode in WVW. Yes anet you clearly understand WvW… Clearly not.

First time doing Open World WvW in your game and it shows. Tried to copy Daoc/War but clearly did not understand it. This concept of WvW is pve is totally crazy.

Not a single mention on culling. Also that trial you did was terrible some solo people fighting 3-4 guys vs 1. The solo guy could see the 4 people attacking him. Like us playing with 25 which is culling limit vs Vizinuah Zerg of 60-70 guys. They could see us but we could not see them.

Of course they whine because as i told you many times the viel and stealth mechanic screw with being read by server back to client.

Also crippling your main system in WvW making combo fields 5 target. Should be upped to 10-15.

AoE cap should be upped also or removed.

Also we need a herald that shows most kills per classes etc on website. Some form of drive for people to play, Realm rank system etc.

Your gonna miss the boat i can see it already. This patch is going to be a big disappointment for big portion of people. And then your game is done. As afterall for us we will go on to kill. But there will be noone left to kill games like WvW require Enemy and sustained pool of players.. I just hope it wont go the way of past 3 mmos Rift/Swtor Making it PVE from WvW.

Studios who coming up saying WvW and rvr.. or just killing people, is bad business model for games are stupid.

Red Guard – Ultimate Dominator World First 25/6/13
if carlsberg played Guardian.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Ohai.8346

Ohai.8346

realm ranks and realm abilities?
bring it on, it’ll be the reason i keep playing gw2 now.

[FoE] Fist of the Empire
www.FistoftheEmpire.org
10x Tier 1 Champions

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

Utmost WvW priorities:

- Eliminate culling.
- Fix population imbalance.

Anything else is secondary. ArenaNet can add all the carrot-on-a-stick systems they want, but at the end of the day if you can’t see your opponents, or if you can’t even compete because your team is outnumbered 5:1, then it’s all moot.

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

Utmost WvW priorities:

- Eliminate culling
- Fix population imbalance
Anything else is secondary. ArenaNet can add all the carrot-on-a-stick systems they want, but at the end of the day if you can’t see your opponents, or if you can’t even compete because your team is outnumbered 5:1, then it’s all moot.

- Eliminate culling.— they are working on it
- Fix population imbalance.——give everyone 1 FREE XFer after that is used start charging. that way people who are on highly populated servers get the option to move to a smaller server to avoid queues. This will not eliminate but will help spread out the population as most groups who are just server hopping ( my guild included) will put alot of thought into their new home and will plan for the long haul.

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

I’m just glad they are updating maps to keep things fresh/interesting and putting such a strong focus on fixing bugs/exploits…..oh wait they are not.

Overall I would say they whole thing is rather disappointing (not just wvw) from the stand point of this being the next six months (thats it really?). But I kind of expected this already so not really disappointed.

I don’t really see any of this keeping the game from dieing like it has been, but oh well other games are coming out soon. And for Colin we all appreciate a couple of pages of investor bs/pr spin/useless hype.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Furgerat.7842

I’m just glad they are updating maps to keep things fresh/interesting and putting such a strong focus on fixing bugs/exploits…..oh wait they are not.

Overall I would say they whole thing is rather disappointing (not just wvw) from the stand point of this being the next six months (thats it really?). But I kind of expected this already so not really disappointed.

I don’t really see any of this keeping the game from dieing like it has been, but oh well other games are coming out soon. And for Colin we all appreciate a couple of pages of investor bs/pr spin/useless hype.

i dont really understand everyones QQ about the maps but i guess good luck??
WvW is about killing each other not having new maps to kill each other in..
DAOC had the same kitten maps for years and when they changed to the “new frontiers” the new maps had a HUGE backlash and thousands left the game.

new age MMO players playing a WvWvW game are wierd yo.

EDIT::::::::::::::::::: i do agree that maps could be a little more spread out tho… everything is a little to close. but meh

Furrygreen-PAXA-BAMF
Furgerat-Virus23-DAOC
Furrygreen-Abstract-DAOC

Colin Johanson on GW2

in WvW

Neandramathal.9536

Neandra-

You are a commander. You dont run small man. Im willing to bet you never played DAOC and if you did, you didnt run 8mans. If you remove aoe cap, you give small mans the ability to destroy 30 man zergs. You lead those 20+ groups around.

I am a commander, and I haven’t played Daoc… but I do run small man. My guild has 14 members (our highest number so far) and usually around 5-8 online. I rarely use my badge because we simply don’t enjoy zerging.

Small groups are pretty much all we do… I use my badge when I must, you can ask people on my server ^^.

Currently @ Piken Square