Commander chat suppression

in WvW

Posted by: Jarni.7402

Jarni.7402

I really think Commanders should never get surpressed in public chat. At least not when they are actively commanding and what they are saying is probably important to the team. It’s terribly annoying when I’m commanding and I want to give an order, but I can’t say anything due to chat surpression.

It would be awesome if ArenaNet thought about this and removed chat surpression for Commanders with their Tag up. Everyone who plays WvW at least once in a while would be very thankful for this.

Servers: Desolation (1) / Piken Square (2)
Main characters: Jarni The Catmander (1) / Jarni Goes Wild (2)
Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Try to say the absolute necessary untill they “fix” this,try to refrain from talking about “nonsense” and only say things that have meaning and are needed in order to keep the supressed thing from not happening.Atleast that works for me,till some extend.

in WvW

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Yes, this happens extremely frequently and it’s horrible. The suppression for commanders while in wvw needs to be relaxed. It happens to me every time I command and also other commanders in my guild.

And we mostly use mumble and use chat minimally to link WPs and give basic directions. I have no clue how its registering as excessive.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

I don’t think it should be completely removed but they should definitely relax the limitations compared to non-commander players.

Commanders have to take special care to NOT repeat their messages since that’s what usually triggers the suppression.

But repeating a message usually grabs attention so as commanders, we are currently limited to expect players to get the message the first time its spoken otherwise they won’t be able to see our messages at all because we’ve suppressed ourselves.

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Yeah but as I’m usually running with a bunch of EB puggs who just run behind the Commander without really knowing what’s going on, I need to keep typing in several different chats at the same time to give orders, which gets me surpressed once in a while, which is incredibly annoying.

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Pvp.2758

Pvp.2758

I agree, Commanders should not get suppressed. It is very hard to lead ‘pugs’ or players that won’t get in Team Speak, and you do need to lead them because they are important.

The most annoying thing is being suppressed when you are trying to say FOLLOW and they are standing at a sentry or distracted by 1 person running by.

Commander is 100 gold and if a person is abusing the ‘no suppressed commander’ feature then they will get reported and punished for it so I don’t think people will abuse it.

S(KILL) Gametypes > WvW & sPVP

in WvW

Posted by: Huge.5891

Huge.5891

I get suppressed 5 minutes into commanding and just have my guildies relay everything for me.

I kinda like it this way because it gives me an excuse for making everyone else do the typing… So lets just leave it the way it is.. Thanks.

Too Huge
Just Defend [DFND] Commander
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Unfortunely if they remove the supression for commanders, the gold-seller spammers would problably buy commander tags and start the spam again…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

Unfortunely if they remove the supression for commanders, the gold-seller spammers would problably buy commander tags and start the spam again…

It’s funny, but gold seller spammers are the only players that have figured out how to get around chat suppression.

Also, spammers wouldn’t last long in WvW, I’m sure the entire map would report and block them in seconds.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: fab.3298

fab.3298

Yeah, maybe they should remove it for common phrases then. “group on me”, “grab supplies”, “inc” etc, they’re the ones that normally get me suppressed.

Fab The Guardian
[Re] Rerolled

in WvW

Posted by: XxNuggetxX.7823

XxNuggetxX.7823

This is something i have heaps of troubble with. lukely i am in TS and i ask a guildie to type for me.

couple suggestions:

- keep chat suppression but lower the time you are supperssed if wearing the commander hat like 10 sec insted of the like 2 mins now 0.0. The hat must be on, this will deter spammers

- only suppress a commander if he repeats the same phrase/progression of phrase’s several times in a same time.

I think the 1st option is good, what you think?

XnuggetX: 80 Engineer – Nuggetxxx: 80 Gardian
Bloody Swagmen[BS], Fergs Night Crew.
Senior Member, Commander Tag.

in WvW

Posted by: Sajuuk.6420

Sajuuk.6420

OMG you have noooooo idea how many times i rage quit commanding bcoz of this.. i was gonna make a thred my self but i though no 1 would care.. srsly i have done over 2000hrs of commanding and EVERY single time thats the one thing that kitten es me off. How can you possiblity command when you cant even tell people what to do?

One thing i did notice is that you can never be suppressed in Squad chat but geting people to join your squad is another painful thing to do..

The Angry Commander

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

IMO, commanders should get this:

You know when you played CS or other FPS games, there are chat codes like “Follow me” “Roger” “Negative” “Go,go!” as easy access hotkey.

Commanders need this.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: Cruzyo.7304

Cruzyo.7304

I had this problem aswell, however another Commander made me aware of how to avoid this.

Basically you get surpressed when you spam Links (waypoints or point of interests) in the chat without adding anything to it.

For example, when you want your zerg to teleport to a waypoint, not only link the waypoint but also write “teleport” behind it.

that way you shouldnt get surpressed.

in WvW

Jarni.7402

I doubt that, because of the following reasons:

Commander is 100 gold and if a person is abusing the ‘no suppressed commander’ feature then they will get reported and punished for it so I don’t think people will abuse it.

Spammers wouldn’t last long in WvW, I’m sure the entire map would report and block them in seconds.

Also, I like these ideas:

keep chat suppression but lower the time you are supperssed if wearing the commander hat like 10 sec insted of the like 2 mins now 0.0. The hat must be on, this will deter spammers

IMO, commanders should get this:

You know when you played CS or other FPS games, there are chat codes like “Follow me” “Roger” “Negative” “Go,go!” as easy access hotkey.

Commanders need this.

And to answer Cruzyo’s post:

I had this problem aswell, however another Commander made me aware of how to avoid this.

Basically you get surpressed when you spam Links (waypoints or point of interests) in the chat without adding anything to it.

For example, when you want your zerg to teleport to a waypoint, not only link the waypoint but also write “teleport” behind it.

Ehm…you do know that’s the one thing you should NEVER do as a Commander, right?
You can only use portals when you get killed, or when EVERYONE in your zerg is on TeamSpeak, and you’re doing an organized WvW run. Otherwise, a great deal of the zerg will just stay where they are to stand around, which will tear the zerg apart.

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

You can only use portals when you get killed, or when EVERYONE in your zerg is on TeamSpeak, and you’re doing an organized WvW run. Otherwise, a great deal of the zerg will just stay where they are to stand around, which will tear the zerg apart.

Uhm… really? You’ll run your force the entire length of a map rather than use a WP to get you there in seconds?

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Ya, this can be frustrating. I agree with lowering the chat suppression. As for the gold sellers. Block and report rather simple.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in WvW

Posted by: Cruzyo.7304

Cruzyo.7304

Jarni.7402

And to answer Cruzyo’s post:

as I said, it was only an example. It could have been just like “[Redvale Workshop] move”

also, not all “pugs” are completely braindead, those that read the chat and dont just follow the blue icon will get that aswell. Please, next time, try to read the message behind ;P

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Uhm… really? You’ll run your force the entire length of a map rather than use a WP to get you there in seconds?

Yeah, since I’m mostly running EB pugs, of which a lot are actually braindead, as Cruz calls it :p
I have to keep running all the way across the map in order to keep the zerg behind me.

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I agree with the OP in theory, but there’d need to be a way to control this.

All someone would have to do is buy a commander tag and they’d be able to spam uncontrollably anywhere they wanted.

Blocking and reporting might be sufficient though.

I’ve been suppressed a few times myself, and I’ve only been commanding for a week.

in WvW

Posted by: OutspokenAardvark.9781

OutspokenAardvark.9781

The cap should be relaxed across the board for all players, imo. And then it should be relaxed further for players with tags on in WvW maps only.

Rhyme – Commander
[DIS] Dissentient – http://dissentient.org
[TC] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

The cap should be relaxed across the board for all players, imo. And then it should be relaxed further for players with tags on in WvW maps only.

Yeah, across the board would be good too. I have been suppressed SO many times while trying to RP…

in WvW

Posted by: Habib Loew.6239

Habib Loew.6239

Gameplay Programmer

I’m aware you are all posting about public chat but I just wanted to post a reminder that commanders are never suppressed in squad chat.

ArenaNet Gameplay Programmer

in WvW

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

I’m aware you are all posting about public chat but I just wanted to post a reminder that commanders are never suppressed in squad chat.

Problem is, most pugs don’t know how to join the squad of a commander. On top of that, even if you tell them how, they won’t. It would be nice if that solution worked properly, but due to how people act, it doesn’t quite fix it.

Edit: Also causes problems if there are multiple commanders on the map that you want to hear simultaneously.

Edit: Solution: Make a wvw only chat channel for commanders only, that is automatically broadcast to the entire zone. If people abuse this, then they get blocked, so that’s not a problem. You just have to make sure that this chat channel is only found in wvw, to prevent out of wvw abuse.

in WvW

Posted by: Vi Au.8341

Vi Au.8341

Im sorry to say but on my server nobody uses squad because u cant see where the other commanders are after joining the squad

in WvW

Posted by: rhyein.6172

rhyein.6172

Also Squad has 30 man limit I believe. A lot of times you’re running groups much bigger than that.

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

I appreciate the response, but very rarely do people join the commander’s squad. When you’re dealing with a zerg made up of 50-95% pugs, many of which who don’t even know what a squad is…you use /say.

/say is vital to commanding, and supressing it is very painful. :-(

If everyone knew to join a squad, they’re probably already in Mumble with the commander anyway.

I, myself, didn’t even know how to join a commander’s squad until I’d been playing WvW for well over a month.

The biggest problem with the way that it works is that if you are giving very common commands while commanding, such as “follow,” “build,” “don’t chase,” and many other simple one/two word things…those are exactly the kinds of things that get you suppressed the fastest.

(edited by Hickeroar.9734)

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Squad useless, its not uncommon to have 70 people zergs on my server, only like 30 fit into a squad. Also no UI for squad.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Yohimbe.1876

Yohimbe.1876

Oh, Habib, you’re so cute: Commanders telling pugs to “Join Squad on me” is about as effective as telling them to “Join us on TS” or “Please do not drop random siege”. 98% of the time it just. does. not. happen. Commanders using Squad chat exclusively is also a big not, because a good majority of their zerg are on /say, /map or /team. A Commander might be brilliant or crappy, but should not be chat suppressed.

Chay Darkhaven – SBI
Leader of The Ethereal Guard
Huzzah!

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Honestly squad is useless. Other then supply info it doesn’t provide any utility/ease of use for the commander. I would say it would be 1000x better if all it did was add up the supply everyone has and put a total at top right next to personal supply but no. it doesn’t even do that. Doesn’t allow you to see status of the squad. Doesn’t have a unique color dot for the squad.

Just a 100g for a blue doritto icon that helps with pointing your location. That’s it.

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

Honestly squad is useless. Other then supply info it doesn’t provide any utility/ease of use for the commander. I would say it would be 1000x better if all it did was add up the supply everyone has and put a total at top right next to personal supply but no. it doesn’t even do that. Doesn’t allow you to see status of the squad. Doesn’t have a unique color dot for the squad.

Just a 100g for a blue doritto icon that helps with pointing your location. That’s it.

/supplyinfo works on people not in your squad as well if you stack together.

in WvW

Posted by: Grithan Soulforge.5726

Grithan Soulforge.5726

And here is where we point and laugh at the idea squad functionality is still in the game. So useless… so useless… All the conversations on mapchat at launch about “Don’t join my squad, it’s pointless.”

[BfB] Grithan/Trigan – JQ

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

Squads shouldn’t have a limit to size, and it should auto-add people to your squad when they come within a certain range of you. Range being like…1500 or something. Maybe even 2000 due to the tendency for PuG-heavy zergs to spread out while running.

If two commanders meet, it should keep people in the squads they’re already in, unless they break off from each other and then people can be automatically reassigned.

If someone intentionally joins a squad, they should remain in that squad until they leave, and then be auto-added per the normal rules.

That’s the only way squads could work, imho.

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

The ability to communicate with the whole map is vital most of the time. ven if a group isn’t following you if u tell the map what you are doing the other groups will act accordingly if they are a worth danm

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: chrisk.4320

chrisk.4320

1. Don’t suppress commanders.
2. Immediately stop the purchase of commander with gold. Previous commanders may still be commander.
3. Once you achieve a very high World Rank, allow the purchase of commander with badges or karma.

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

1. Don’t suppress commanders.
2. Immediately stop the purchase of commander with gold. Previous commanders may still be commander.
3. Once you achieve a very high World Rank, allow the purchase of commander with badges or karma.

That is an astoundingly good idea. :-O

World rank…I wouldn’t say “very high.” Maybe just “high.”

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Honestly, if you get suppressed in team chat in WvW you probably are spamming. I command players in WvW team chat all the time and have never been suppressed.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Hickeroar.9734

Honestly, if you get suppressed in team chat in WvW you probably are spamming. I command players in WvW team chat all the time and have never been suppressed.

That leads me to believe you probably don’t communicate with your zerg as much as typical commanders. Are you in VOIP with a significant portion of those who are following you?

in WvW

Posted by: titanlectro.5029

titanlectro.5029

If the squad system was robust enough, that would solve the problem. As it is, it doesn’t even really have a UI.

It also has serious limitations:
1) 30 player maximum
2) No commander control over who is in the squad
3) It is opt in, WvW communication really needs to be opt out
4) None of the squad functions are intuitive
5) You cannot see other commander tags when in a squad
6) You must have a commander tag visible to the entire map to use a squad

These problems actually make communication harder.

Perhaps tomorrow this will all change, but as it stands now, squads only make things worse.

Gate of Madness | Leader – Phoenix Ascendant [ASH]
Niniyl (Ele) | Barah (Eng) | Luthiyn (War) | Niennya (Thf)
This is my Trahearne’s story

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

I get it also if I keep commanding. I suppose Im too fond to try to keep the spirit high with texts like “Keep up the pressure” or “Keep AoE on those walls and be gloooorious!”

Sure I talk some nonsense when Im commanding, but not that much in my opinion, not too much atleast.

What I want to suggest here is, re-make squad and squad chat. Basically anyone who is near commander is automatically added to squad. If you go further away from commander, you are out. But you can still join the squad manually aswell to see commands etc. and can be as far as you want in the same map.

Now here is the plot twist, you can only talk in squad chat if you are the commander with tag on. That way commander gets the important way to show up from other peoples lines as well not getting suppressed. Also if every people around you (little bit larger area than vicinity chat) are in the squad, they can see it making /say obsolete for commander.

Ofcourse you would need to alter the system as well so that if you are in squad you still see other commanders as well, as that is in my opinion important.

Meh, just me dropping some ideas that came in my mind.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Pvp.2758

The problem is we are talking about leading the non-organized players and not ALL of those players will join your squad. Also /say chat is in a chat bubble and squad chat is in the chat box (not visible on character).

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

That leads me to believe you probably don’t communicate with your zerg as much as typical commanders. Are you in VOIP with a significant portion of those who are following you?

No, I’m usually not on a VOIP, although sometimes I use vent. I also haven’t convinced myself that the blue icon is worth 100g yet, so I have to lead without the aid of the icon or squad chat. Players typically follow where I lead anyway, often including players who do have the commander icon.

Also to note, I tend to give commands in team chat more than most of the commanders on my server (Sorrow’s Furnace), but we might just have a surplus of quiet commanders.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Posted by: Nnekk.5806

Nnekk.5806

I’m aware of squad chat.

Are you aware that there are more good reasons not to join a squad than there is to join one?

Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

We were told that there were to be improvements to the commander functionality in this WvW patch, my guild practices joining squad and it has many good uses… but as stated before in this thread, most PUGs don’t know anything about squads, and don’t know how to join them.

If Squads/Commanders had further benefit to the team than a dedicated chat channel and a way for the commander to check supply, there would be more incentive to actively get people to join the squads, thus partially addressing the issue at hand. I’m eagerly awaiting what will land for this tomorrow…

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Fall back
Supply check
Stack
buffs
push
push
push
~You have been suppressed~
kitten

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

Posted by: MiLkZz.4789

MiLkZz.4789

You do realize a squat has a max number of 30 players right? And in T1 EB you can fill up 3 such squats. I don’t know what insane reason brought them to decide to put a limit on a squat.

Commander should be harder to get (spammers will be mostly avoided this way) and commanders shouldn’t be suppresed, or atleast it should take much more.
Or the squat limit has to go and people in the neighbourhood of a commander auto join his squat unless they already joined another commanders squat.
Or give them Shooter like menu with standard sentences like, attack!/retreat!/move!/follow!/…. even I can program such a thing.

Warrior of [VcY], guild from Seafarer’s Rest
First troll to receive 10/10
Best golem driver EU

in WvW

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Personally, I think the chat suppression is a bit too heavy handed, even for non-commander players.

in WvW

Jarni.7402

Habib, and any other ArenaNet employee, please do something about this! Read the posts on this thread, there are a lot of great suggestions post already, and probably even more to come!

I hereby ask you, ArenaNet, to listen to the community and do something about this, and by doing so, to make WvW a better place to be. Thank you.

Gank Me Harder [FURY]

in WvW

Pvp.2758

Fall back
Supply check
Stack
buffs
push
push
push
kitten

3 hours later…

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

the way i look at it, there’s not really any need for chat suppression in WvW at all. if some bot is spamming chat trying to sell people gold, they’re going to get mass reported and blocked in an instant. it’s like with the bot clusters. we’d have our zerg make a detour to go to it, have everyone report each of them, kill them, collect our badges and move on. sure they were annoying, but chat suppression is even more so.