Commander's Compendium for Badges of Honor

in WvW

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Are there any plans to offer the Commander’s Compendium for Badges of Honor? It would make more sense than offering it for gold.

The current equivalency, according to the Siege Master merchants, is 1 badge = 1 silver. So a Commander’s Compendium would cost 10,000 badges or 100 gold.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in WvW

Posted by: DemonCow.5328

DemonCow.5328

Nothing like using 40 bank/inventory slots for badges

[TI] Taking Initiative- Tarnished Coast
Guild Leader
takinginitiative.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: midiean.8469

midiean.8469

1k badges, 10 gold, 30 WXP points

boom

in WvW

Posted by: Brassnautilus.2941

Brassnautilus.2941

boom

haha in your dreams

1badge = 1s
pin = 100g = 10,000 badges

in WvW

Posted by: Foronisus.4138

Foronisus.4138

How about: 1k Badges of Honor + 25 gold + WXP 25

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

Badges are still a poor way the get commanders as all it show is that you have a lot of kill and might not know much about attacking and defending. Plus it hinders those who run supper builds and don’t get badges. Regardless it would be better than 100g

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Calvin.5380

Calvin.5380

Badges are still a poor way the get commanders as all it show is that you have a lot of kill and might not know much about attacking and defending. Plus it hinders those who run supper builds and don’t get badges. Regardless it would be better than 100g

When people give a suggestion, good or bad, a positive way to provide feedback is to give alternate suggestions.

You’re not being helpful if you just come here and trash any suggestions, without providing your solution. Just saying…

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

When people give a suggestion, good or bad, a positive way to provide feedback is to give alternate suggestions.

You’re not being helpful if you just come here and trash any suggestions, without providing your solution. Just saying…

A big part of a open discussion is stating the pros and cons of a idea. He was simply pointing out for some people badges don’t come as easy as it does for others and a badge only cost wouldn’t be the best idea. In his opinion.

Also your post contradicts its self. Just saying…

On topic, they should really tie the WXP into it, either having save your points that would other wise be spent on rank upgrades or just a rank to hit before it is able to be bought.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

(edited by Zikory.6871)

in WvW

Posted by: Under Web.2497

Under Web.2497

You get a 1g reduction every time you successfully take/defend a structure against a greater numbered force.

in WvW

Posted by: Shard.4167

Shard.4167

You get a 1g reduction every time you successfully take/defend a structure against a greater numbered force.

I’d get 2000g back when i by a book. And i guess there are people out there that would get even more. Bad idea. I like the idea of mixing it up though.

5’000 badges + 75g → Badge

And add some new functionalities or an interface addition for the commanders.

Hob Heartsbane – Commander for [GG] – Pikensquare

May your wits and swords stay sharp.

in WvW

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

You get badges through loot bags which means you simply have to tag an enemy and when they die you get a bag….if you never attack anything ever at all, then I feel bad for your server. Probably better to have people on the server to vote for you, IF the goal is to have the most qualified person be a commander. You’ll still have people get them because of their fanboys/girls, but that’s not much different from the current system, other than that the people who should be a commander but can’t afford it would actually be able to be a commander. No great way to fix this, just put up with it.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in WvW

Posted by: midiean.8469

midiean.8469

boom

haha in your dreams

1badge = 1s
pin = 100g = 10,000 badges

so you get commander by proving you farmed badges for a few months

hooray

Nothing like using 40 bank/inventory slots for badges

in WvW

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

The current equivalency, according to the Siege Master merchants, is 1 badge = 1 silver. So a Commander’s Compendium would cost 10,000 badges or 100 gold.

Make it cost 20 Gift of Battles.

in WvW

Posted by: DevonCarver.5370

DevonCarver.5370

WvW Coordinator

While I think there is a good argument for this, we haven’t discussed it enough yet for me to say if we would or would not want to go this route. We are looking at the commander system generally, because we think it can be improved upon, and as part of that discussion we’ll almost certainly look into how you become a commander.

in WvW

Posted by: KnattyDreads.1856

KnattyDreads.1856

While I think there is a good argument for this, we haven’t discussed it enough yet for me to say if we would or would not want to go this route. We are looking at the commander system generally, because we think it can be improved upon, and as part of that discussion we’ll almost certainly look into how you become a commander.

Ready the refund checks, that’s a lot of 100G bills.

-Emhry Bay-
Call of Fate [CoF]

in WvW

Posted by: Tekyn.5376

Tekyn.5376

Why not make everyone a commander? (since 100g will eventually become chump change)

“I feel like I’m getting trolled here. Good day sir.”
- John Smith, ArenaNet in-house economist

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

1g or 100,000,000 gold it still won’t make people follow you and listen to what you want done.

anyone wonder why the commander has to be on the frontline? it should be renamed to coordinator or sergeant, something.

Sincerly, Me.

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

We don’t want everyone to be able to spam the map with icons. 10k badges would be acceptable imo, however. I’d rather see that existing commanders get some sort of extra commands first as a result. Maybe make the 100g commanders get an achievement.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Make it so that they have to be voted on by the server itself while in WvW. I know, it can be abused, but still…everybody who plays and knows the good commanders would vote them immediately.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

Devon, Have you thought about making the tag separate for PvE and WvW? The way to obtain it could be related to each side of the game?

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Make it so that they have to be voted on by the server itself while in WvW. I know, it can be abused, but still…everybody who plays and knows the good commanders would vote them immediately.

To expand upon this, have a poll type screen in-game on server reset days, say for 4 or 5 hours. During that time, people vote on 5 or so people to be commanders that week, and one high commander. Give the high commander more tools, like being able to set waypoints on the map everyone can see, and maybe a special on screen raid warning type chat commands as well to help lead during those big 50v50 battles.

Just an idea, not sure how I feel about it yet as it just hit me.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Why use badges or gold? Now that we have WXP, why not just make it once a player gets rank 100 they get a badge that can be viewed on the map. Different badge and color depending on your rank. Players could squad join or ignore it completely if they wanted through a toggle in options.

in WvW

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

have a poll type screen in-game on server reset days, say for 4 or 5 hours.

Aka 2~7am in Europe?

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

have a poll type screen in-game on server reset days, say for 4 or 5 hours.

Aka 2~7am in Europe?

Well it would have to be during EU prime time for the EU servers of course. And honestly if you are playing during EU prime time on US servers for WvW, it’s important enough to stay up till 2am which I’m sure a lot of us WvW people do anyway

in WvW

Posted by: Tekyn.5376

Tekyn.5376

Why use badges or gold? Now that we have WXP, why not just make it once a player gets rank 100 they get a badge that can be viewed on the map. Different badge and color depending on your rank. Players could squad join or ignore it completely if they wanted through a toggle in options.

That’s a good idea.

If it were up to me I would do the following:

(1) Display WvW rank as an in-game icon to fellow server members. ArenaNet already has the framework to do this: http://i.imgur.com/SEfVm.jpg.

(2) Make the blue icon that appears on the map an upgrade purchasable with wxp ability points.

(3) Remove the current commander tag system and refund everyone’s 100g.

“I feel like I’m getting trolled here. Good day sir.”
- John Smith, ArenaNet in-house economist

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I want my rank to be visible to my own teammates, too. But that’s another topic.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

in WvW

Posted by: elderan.2638

elderan.2638

Yeah and what about people who have never commanded but want to try? They would never get the chance.

in WvW

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

And honestly if you are playing during EU prime time on US servers for WvW, it’s important enough to stay up till 2am which I’m sure a lot of us WvW people do anyway

I am not. I play on EU servers, being from EU, and my WvW resets start only after 2am my local time. As i said in another thread… there’s world beyond NA

in WvW

Posted by: Valik Shin.9027

Valik Shin.9027

To expand upon this, have a poll type screen in-game on server reset days, say for 4 or 5 hours. During that time, people vote on 5 or so people to be commanders that week, and one high commander. Give the high commander more tools, like being able to set waypoints on the map everyone can see, and maybe a special on screen raid warning type chat commands as well to help lead during those big 50v50 battles.

Just an idea, not sure how I feel about it yet as it just hit me.

I like the idea of voting system for people to be able to see how well liked a commander is but to see who can use it for the week isn’t a good set up. Small guild commander would almost never be picked for one and by my math u would need at least 12 commanders. That 3 commanders per map with each doing an 8 hr shift to get 24 hr coverage

Valik Shin
Darkwood Legion [DARK]
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Aeonblade.8709

And honestly if you are playing during EU prime time on US servers for WvW, it’s important enough to stay up till 2am which I’m sure a lot of us WvW people do anyway

I am not. I play on EU servers, being from EU, and my WvW resets start only after 2am my local time. As i said in another thread… there’s world beyond NA

I gotcha. Was just an idea I had spur of the moment type thing. I still like my High Commander idea upon reflection though.

in WvW

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Only change it if there is a PvE equivalent offered. We honestly need more guild management abilities that the commander title helps alleviate somewhat.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in WvW

Posted by: The Rooster.2615

The Rooster.2615

+1 to this. Make the commanders earn the respect of the server before they get a seal.

in WvW

Posted by: Handin.4032

Handin.4032

My problem with badges is that certain classes definitely get the advantage on the badge train. If I trait into a more support role as mesmer, most of my badges come from glamour fields, but the way that conditions work, it can be funky not even getting bags to drop. That being said, right now the system for badge drops really favors direct DPS/AoE damage rather than support builds or condition damage.

So, if you make it 10k badges, I think you’ll see alot of direct DPS classes able to get their badges much quicker (assuming people start from scratch, or even ~1k), than people who run support builds. If you NEED badges to get commander tomes, then you might see a lot of people who want to start commanding just stop their support roles and go to a pure dps role, and that, I have a feeling, will be very noticable. (i.e Commander 1: GIVE ME WATER FIELDS!
Ele 1: Sorry, using meteor storm to rack up my badges for commander tome)

I think the best way to do commanders is 1 part WvW badges, 1 part guilds, 1 part WvW rank points (or something similar), or introduce a new system with votes, or a new system of achievements which benefits every style of play.

TC Golden Dolyak – [DOLY]
Mesmer – FURY
Rank 55 – Bunker Engi, Top 300

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

You become a commander using social influence and you stop being a commander when you lose that influence. It doesn’t matter if you have a blue chevron or not.

There is no currency in the game that can adequately replace influence so in lieu of that, gold is the next best alternative, because it is fungible. It is not account bound, can be exchanged between players and pooled. You can donate gold for a commander icon to someone who has influence, even if they have no money because lets face it – if you play WvW often enough to be influential amongst your peers, you will have no money.

Every other currency exchanged for a commander icon is better achieved by farming that currency – world exp, badges of honour etc. You dont want or need a farmer to be a WvW leader.

At this point I believe that the tools necessary to command effectively should be democratized. I think the commander book should be available for free so that everyone has the tools necessary to coordinate teams larger than their own party. It should not be persistent. You buy the book from an npc for zero gold and you have the commander “buff” for 24 hours or until you log out. It should be available from npc vendors in major city hubs in pve zones so that pve players may structure groups for Orr shrines and so forth. It should have the following functionality (where applicable) in both pve and wvw:

1) squad supply count;

2) squad chat;

3) squad based targeting (for calling spikes);

4) the ability to draw on and ping the minimap so it is viewable to all members in the squad (to quickly articulate direction of travel and key objectives);

5) the ability to “paint” parties in your squad a different colour (other than red) so in large scale fights they can more easily identify members of their own party and their position in relation to one another. Players within that party see their own party member names in that colour instead of blue. Everyone else in the squad is gold/yellow.

6) the ability to assign parties to squads and (via a /chat command) to see the integrity of parties assigned to your squad. I have always wanted to know who in my team is maintaining their party (if they are even in a party, which they should be) and whether they are actively replacing party members that drop. It makes it easy to call up parties to assign tasks – “can green team move to NE supply, get 10 and move to East Keep? Pink team will meet up with you at NE sentry point”

7) a toggle option to see other commander icons when you are already in a squad.

8) a toggle option to make your commander icon invisible to everyone who is not in your squad, so that private (guild) groups can use an icon without it disrupting what other people on the map are doing.

If a stupid number of players run around WvW and LA with their commander icon visible to the whole map, then that is a problem for players to deal with themselves. At some point, people broadcasting commander status need to think about whats good for all the players on the map above everything else. Players who do this and use the leadership tools with discretion will gain influence and other players will be more inclined to follow them. Players who misuse these tools – who are more interested in notoriety and personal acknowledgement, will quickly develop a reputation for being poor leaders, in much the same way it goes now.

This is not a problem that anet should have to fix. It is a problem that players should have to fix and if they are incapable of doing so, they are incapable of participating in any large organisation of people in the accomplishment of a task for the common good. That is their loss.

(edited by Besetment.9187)

in WvW

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

One small issue with badges vs gold for blue dorito is that badges can’t be transferred between different accounts.

At launch, I’m sure all guilds pooled their gold to help their WvW leader buy their tag. New guilds probably would like to continue to be able to do so.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I don’t see a problem with this especially since you can farm 100 gold much more quickly or instantly vs 10k badges takes time and space. More than reasonable imo. Good post.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Besetment.9187

Thats fine if you want a farmer as a WvW commander. Every real WvW commander I know doesn’t need gold or badges or world xp. If they want to get an icon for one of their characters, all they need to do is publicly ask and a tonne of people will donate gold to buy them an icon for whatever character they want.

Every real commander I know was commanding long before they even got an icon and they can still do it without an icon. In some ways, I think that the commander icon is redundant. It is not needed except to herd a large number of random players to a single point on the map.

Squads have less functionality than parties right now so until we have things like squad based targeting, it is not a significant loss to use your party wide target reticle to mark your own commander.

Supply count is useful but every commander I know has been going “type how much supply you have in /say chat” since the beginning of the game. Many of the best commanders I’ve seen were accomplishing great things without an icon or with it turned off (so as not to make the map confusing).

in WvW

Posted by: Polismassa.6740

Polismassa.6740

Thats fine if you want a farmer as a WvW commander. Every real WvW commander I know doesn’t need gold or badges or world xp. If they want to get an icon for one of their characters, all they need to do is publicly ask and a tonne of people will donate gold to buy them an icon for whatever character they want.

Every real commander I know was commanding long before they even got an icon and they can still do it without an icon. In some ways, I think that the commander icon is redundant. It is not needed except to herd a large number of random players to a single point on the map.

Squads have less functionality than parties right now so until we have things like squad based targeting, it is not a significant loss to use your party wide target reticle to mark your own commander.

Supply count is useful but every commander I know has been going “type how much supply you have in /say chat” since the beginning of the game. Many of the best commanders I’ve seen were accomplishing great things without an icon or with it turned off (so as not to make the map confusing).

Unfortunately, that was then, and this is now. I know many commanders like that, those who could practically snap their fingers and players would quit dungeons just to hop in WvW with them. Every one of those commanders however, started playing sometime near headstart, and built up a reputation as a commander. Nowadays, with all the pins already on the map, there are very few times where you can effectively lead without a pin unless you are already an experienced commander.

For all you know, the best commander ever is sitting somewhere farming CoF because they need that shiny pin to get their start. Unfortunately, it may be days, weeks or even months before this person really gets to the point where people trust them.

Point is, give people a chance. The small pool of true veterans from the start of the game is only going to dry up as time goes on, and the people that you are talking about will no longer be there. That doesn’t mean that new people should never be given the chance to lead.

[IX]

in WvW

Posted by: Jeda.5209

Jeda.5209

I like the ideas regarding voting for commanders or using the wxp system.

There are times when there are no commanders on and it can then get unorganized.

How about add temporary commanders by using the ranks of the existing players on the map at the time.

Say the 5 highest rank players on the map get an option to become a temporary commander. They would also get the option to decline if they don’t want to of course.

This would at least give people someone to follow who has quite a bit of experience in wvw even more so than many of these pve commanders.

Sea of Sorrows

(Bronze Soldier)

in WvW

Posted by: Rayya.2591

Rayya.2591

Ready the refund checks, that’s a lot of 100G bills.

why refund ,after some ppls used commanders for 7 months?

http://imgur.com/a/fKgjD
no.1 WvW kills

in WvW

Besetment.9187

Unfortunately, that was then, and this is now. I know many commanders like that, those who could practically snap their fingers and players would quit dungeons just to hop in WvW with them. Every one of those commanders however, started playing sometime near headstart, and built up a reputation as a commander. Nowadays, with all the pins already on the map, there are very few times where you can effectively lead without a pin unless you are already an experienced commander.

For all you know, the best commander ever is sitting somewhere farming CoF because they need that shiny pin to get their start. Unfortunately, it may be days, weeks or even months before this person really gets to the point where people trust them.

Point is, give people a chance. The small pool of true veterans from the start of the game is only going to dry up as time goes on, and the people that you are talking about will no longer be there. That doesn’t mean that new people should never be given the chance to lead.

Every commander always starts small. You start with capping supply camps with 2 or 3 people in dead borderlands where you have outmanned buff and are getting spawn camped because you have nothing to lose. Its the only way to build confidence and thats all commanding really is – its projecting confidence and using your confidence to influence people.

The goal is very uncomplicated in a situation like this because you can’t accomplish very much when so heavily outmanned and with no territory but you also have very little to lose. Whats the worst that can happen? You don’t have the numbers to capture or defend towers and keeps. Later on as your influence grows, more people will follow you when they see your name in chat like its a regular thing.

It gets more complicated when you have enough people to reliably fight open field, capture territory and hold it against heavy opposition but you build up to that.

Even if you are an experienced commander, being asked to take over command of 60+ people in a BL thats collapsing on multiple fronts is a very difficult thing. Your team has become accustomed over many hours to a person who communicates in a very specific way and they have become receptive to that language.

As the commander tagging in, you do not have knowledge of all the previous map movements that got you into that mess. You have not fought opposition in open field and do not know what they are capable of without siege advantage. And when you use different language, it does not elicit the same response from allies who are used to things being done a different way. Make no mistake, being dropped in a hole like that is tough for anyone, regardless of experience.

I never understood why so many people trash on fledglings in this game. You just look like an idiot unless you can consistently do better. And even if you can consistently do better, people still think you are a jerk and would rather be wrong than be seen to agree with someone they dislike.

I think I was fortunate that when I made lots of mistakes in the beginning, the people I played with didn’t trash me so badly that I took it personal. But maybe you are right and its worse now. Due to burn out, I no longer play WvW at all and I’m just some old timer talking in past tense.

in WvW

Posted by: Perphection.8209

Perphection.8209

How could you not see the flaw in letting players BUY the commander title to begin with? You want to know why we have 100+ man zergs? Because you allowed players with no WvW experience to become commanders.

Players who lack skill, tactics and, have poor communication compensate with numbers.

The fact that you have not yet “discussed it enough” is very concerning. If you want a gold sink allow players to buy new Weapon/Armor skins upon unlocking particular WvW Ranks.

If you want incentivized WvW Gameplay! Put in WvW Weapon/Armor skins upon unlocking particular ranks!

Remove the current title system, so we don’t have to see “Dungeon Master!!!” (If you’re smart you target those people first.), and allow us to show our WvW Rank! I’d much rather know if the guy next to me is an Assaulter with no WvW experience or a god kitten Spartan soldier.

Get your kitten together over there.

Moose Man Jones [vT]
- Charr Warrior
- Charr Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

For goodness sake please allow commanders to hide the pin AND still retain all the functions of a squad. There is no support or flexibility for multiple groups to coordinate together if they want to form medium size forces in WvW. Putting the pin up invites everyone to to the squad and you are expected to lead the zone…. even when you are just trying to coordinate multiple groups together.

If you allowed private squads then guilds and players could actually do private events or stay under the 25 person limit to avoid crossed swords at times.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Polismassa.6740

Every commander always starts small. You start with capping supply camps with 2 or 3 people in dead borderlands where you have outmanned buff and are getting spawn camped because you have nothing to lose. Its the only way to build confidence and thats all commanding really is – its projecting confidence and using your confidence to influence people.

The goal is very uncomplicated in a situation like this because you can’t accomplish very much when so heavily outmanned and with no territory but you also have very little to lose. Whats the worst that can happen? You don’t have the numbers to capture or defend towers and keeps. Later on as your influence grows, more people will follow you when they see your name in chat like its a regular thing.

It gets more complicated when you have enough people to reliably fight open field, capture territory and hold it against heavy opposition but you build up to that.

Even if you are an experienced commander, being asked to take over command of 60+ people in a BL thats collapsing on multiple fronts is a very difficult thing. Your team has become accustomed over many hours to a person who communicates in a very specific way and they have become receptive to that language.

As the commander tagging in, you do not have knowledge of all the previous map movements that got you into that mess. You have not fought opposition in open field and do not know what they are capable of without siege advantage. And when you use different language, it does not elicit the same response from allies who are used to things being done a different way. Make no mistake, being dropped in a hole like that is tough for anyone, regardless of experience.

I never understood why so many people trash on fledglings in this game. You just look like an idiot unless you can consistently do better. And even if you can consistently do better, people still think you are a jerk and would rather be wrong than be seen to agree with someone they dislike.

I think I was fortunate that when I made lots of mistakes in the beginning, the people I played with didn’t trash me so badly that I took it personal. But maybe you are right and its worse now. Due to burn out, I no longer play WvW at all and I’m just some old timer talking in past tense.

Honestly, i’m not quite sure if you were agreeing with me, but I definitely agree with most of your post anyway. My main point was simply that with the sheer volume of people with commander tags out there, and the relative ease with which they can be aquired, it becomes rather difficult to get a start like this. There is often an attitude that there’s no point in following someone without a pin when someone else on the map with a pin is already leading. To get people to follow you nowadays, you have to either be well known or have a pin.

starting with 2 or 3 people taking a supply camp is no longer an option either, we don’t call those people commanders, we just call them roamers running in a gank squad. Essentially, the title of commander, be it a proverbial title given by the community to an actual leader or simply someone who dropped 100g on a book, is now only really used for large group operation with at least 10 people, short of that, there’s really not much reason to have a commander, as a 5 person group can co-ordinate directly without a single person dictating their actions.

[IX]

in WvW

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

my 2¢, seems like an obvious option so I’m sure the devs have considered it already:

- refund everyone’s 100g
- the Commander tag now costs Influence

Some of you are better with numbers than me, but for example:
- requires Politics V
- cost is 200 Influence for four hours
(might be too low – 1000/4hrs maybe – not in a big guild so I don’t know how easily Influence can be generated)
- account bound, still limited to the server

A guildie with the appropriate privileges can designate anyone as Commander for four hours.
Influence can still be purchased, of course; the focus is on larger guilds which should be able to field multiple commanders.

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

How many of you complaining about the overwhelming number of commanders there are now are from T1/2 servers? Outside of primetime, Gandara is fortunate to have a single commander online (or, at least, one prepared to tag-up) across all 4 maps.

And I don’t see how badges or WXP are any better a measure of commanding competence. I know some excellent commanders who can only play a few hours a day, so they’d be very far behind in WXP; all it is is an indication of time spent online. Might as well not bother with the WXP cost and just go directly to making the 20 people who spend most time online commanders. That sound like a good system to you?

I suppose badges would be better than gold, except, they’re account bound. Which means it’s impossible for a guild or a server to band together to buy a tag for a worthy individual. Which, obviously, is why the cost for commander was gold from the start. Otherwise there wouldn’t have been a single commander on any server, anywhere, for the first few months. People saying “why did they make it this why, omg so stupid”, well, that’s why. Think it through. Jeez.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: Yulan.4069

Yulan.4069

I was a supporter of the badge cost because I don’t think the right to be a commander should be purchaseable, but the vote is even better and can solve all problems regarding play time and class efficiency. Can we expand on that?

I think that rather than being a vote in the first hours after reset, favoring the voice of people who are online at that time, it should be all week long so all the server can choose the next week’s commanders. This way there would be “official” commanders right after the reset, and they could even prepare themselves for that. Also, those who played the most during week would be more popular than others who aren’t investing their time in WvW, as people would get through something like “whoa, we just had this awesome fight and this commander deserve to be here the next week” and then vote for him immediately.

Each server would have a fixed amount of commander spots (so less populated/resourceful servers could still have the same amount of the others) and the most voted people would fill them for the next week.

Can’t the vote even be integrated with the leaderboard? We could watch current commanders for each (or just our own) servers, and even most voted ones, besides voting for the next week’s applicants.

Anything else, guys? Can you see a problem in all this, or have something nice to add?

Ah, the Scepter of Orr. You have taken a risk to deliver this. Now I shall return the favor.

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Please let it go.
Votes – maybe on top tier, but on low tiers there is no interest in WvW, or small, on whole server and voting a commander will ends with no commanders
Badges – too easy to get them and Commander is not a person tagging most of mobs, when a commander fights,he is doing something wrong or there were much bigger zerg of enemies

Please for sake of smaller guilds, for sake of lower tiers, dont change it.

in WvW

Polismassa.6740

Ultimately, i think that there needs to be some type of 2 mode commander system. The current commander system has a lot of upsides on lower tiers, where most people just hop in WvW for a quick battle and aren’t able to grind WvW specific currency or points.

On the other hand, i’m very much in favor of adding another system to compliment the current one, namely, guild commanders.

There needs to be an art of war upgrade that allows guilds to pay a certain amount of influence, perhaps 10k or something, to buy a commander tag to use on someone in the guild. Instead of the blue dorito, the guild’s actual logo would show up on the map, and be visible only for players in the guild.

The only problem is the ability to switch the tag on and off, as can be done with the current commander tag. Creating a physical item might be the best approach, or perhaps something that can be manipulated in the guild panel.

Either way, guilds need to be able to run their own groups without immediately attracting every random player on the map. Not that I have problems running with PuGs most of the time, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to strip off the excess fat and just run as a guild group, especially when running ops with another guild.

[IX]

in WvW

Posted by: Hule.8794

Hule.8794

Polismassa : i dont think so. Look parties are limited to 5 people.
In WvW we allied for events with other guild and we make 4 parties. And current commander system is the only way how to manage fights on map. Even if everybody is on TS, showing icon on map is the quickest way how to coordinate.

Commander should have possibility to manage his squad, see people, invite people,kick people.

If this tag will be buyable by influence it will probably be time limited. Something like 10k influence or tag for 24 hours.And it is just to much for smaller guilds. We already have problem to gain influence to unlock guild missions.
Instead guilds should be able to make Warbands, just a party not limited and only for guild members. This way, guilds dont need commander because they have leaders already.