Commanders need fixing

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Phatkillz.5938

Phatkillz.5938

No I don’t mean being spayed or neutered! Although I’m sure many of you know some that should be.

The problem is having several blue commander icons on the map is pretty much useless.

Each commander needs to have a different color icon assigned when they enter WvW and their Team chat should be in the color assigned when they entered WvW.

This would allow us to know which commander is issuing commands and where we can find them.

P.S. do the developers read the boards?

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Rob.7624

Rob.7624

I like the coloured chat idea, and while they are on the topic of chat. Please get our excessive message limiter extended. We shout our Commands as they happen and its v.dangerous if we are silenced.

Commanders need more stuff. 100G for a blue dot without any useful Commanding emotes sucks.

Commander Bird Song
Northern Shiverpeaks Night Crew
Os Guild

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Balidore.2790

Balidore.2790

I was commanding the other day, we were attacking bay, while ninja’ing hills with a small team. The only reason for attacking bay was a feint to get hills, by them thinking the quaggs were at hills.
When the inner at hills got to 40%, my messages got suppressed…. lol. Only reason it ended up working in the end was due to a friend being able to relay, but even then, allot didn’t get off of bay till they noticed i was nearly all the way to hills.

As for the OP. I’d actually like it so you could only see an icon if you were in their squad, or within 1500 range of one. And people would have the option to join multiple squads if they so chose. If a commander is actually leading, there’s no reason you wouldn’t be able to find him/her from map chat and come find them to join squad in 1500 range.

Balidor [Envy]
Mesmer/Thief
NSP

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Phatkillz.5938

Phatkillz.5938

They should also be able to put markers on the map also linked to their specific color.

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Rob.7624

They should also be able to put markers on the map also linked to their specific color.

Agreed

Commander Bird Song
Os Guild

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

I have played this game from the beginning and I think at first commanders were really useful to help gather people and teach different tactics.

Now, however I have been sitting back and just watching how things unfold and I would have to say more often then not commanders cause more harm then good. The problem is that 90% of the commanders are incompetent but think they are gods gift to the world. I personally wish they got rid of the tag all together, but that will never happen. But I would argue against giving commanders more power things because it would just cause more harm. Buying a book does not make you smart or tactical.

All that being said though I cant really blame commanders, the real problem is the players. Having no idea what your doing is forgivable especially if you are new, but not reading or following direction or even more so doing the exact opposite of what is being told is not. Chasing after people like a pack of dogs, etc. And, an even bigger problem is the system rewards this kind of play.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: cold.3946

cold.3946

Heads up – you might not be aware:

/squadjoin keg

This would put you in my squad, and turn all other commander icons off for you.

Additionally, it lets the commander use /squadinfo to check supply levels and /d to chat with the squad in a different channel/color.

Also, message suppression kicks in when you spam the same text repeatedly. Say it once and you won’t have this problem. If you get squelched, change the verbiage of your message and it will go through once the cooldown is up.

If you type like this:

EVERYONE GET TO HILLS
EVERYONE GET TO HILLS
EVERYONE GET TO HILLS

You can and will get your messages censored. Honestly, you deserve it.

Keg – 80 Guardian | Mini Keg – 80 Mesmer
Strike Force [SF] Stormbluff Isle
www.strikeforceguild.com

(edited by cold.3946)

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Xom.9264

Xom.9264

I want to be able to turn off that stupid commander icon (without joining a squad). Thats the fix I would like.

Xomox ~Human Necro/Engineer ET

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: KinkyWarrior.1879

KinkyWarrior.1879

I like that coloured idea, it makes it easier to identify. Commanders can put orders on the map, you have to be in their squad to see them though.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: hoschi.8693

hoschi.8693

What cold said.

If you do a “/squadjoin <commander>” you wont see any other commander icons anymore, and allow the commander to see what he/she has available.

But I also agree – sometimes I’d volunteer to pay 100g to get someone’s commander tag removed… /doh

Saint of Destruction of the Holy Church of Jedsus Chris of Saturday Feints
Strike Force [SF]

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: WhisperedInsanity.3985

WhisperedInsanity.3985

There are a lot of good suggestions. I, for one, think that there should be more needed in order to get the commander tag. ie: amount of time played in WvW and players killed. I’m also kinda leaning toward the tag being per map. There is nothing more annoying to me than having a commander that spends all their time in a borderland coming to EB and fumbling around because they don’t know the map.

The commander tag is really useful in rallying PUGs to launch an attack that would otherwise (in most cases) not happen. Players don’t tend to listen to orders given by other players without the tag. For example, when pangloss is sieged up and you need to get in to claim it back. “Push through them, we have enough to make it through and flip” will be met with everyone remaining at the choke point while you run solo into the midst of a storm.

A lot of things need to be fixed, but most of the things are operator error.

Murda Inc [QQ]
Isle of Janthir
~If you want your story to be told, write it~

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

Colored icons would be awesome if the colors coordinated with plans. Red for offensive, Blue for defensive. Allow the colors to be set by the commander. Sounds like a neat idea.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

I have played this game from the beginning and I think at first commanders were really useful to help gather people and teach different tactics.

Now, however I have been sitting back and just watching how things unfold and I would have to say more often then not commanders cause more harm then good. The problem is that 90% of the commanders are incompetent but think they are gods gift to the world. I personally wish they got rid of the tag all together, but that will never happen. But I would argue against giving commanders more power things because it would just cause more harm. Buying a book does not make you smart or tactical.

All that being said though I cant really blame commanders, the real problem is the players. Having no idea what your doing is forgivable especially if you are new, but not reading or following direction or even more so doing the exact opposite of what is being told is not. Chasing after people like a pack of dogs, etc. And, an even bigger problem is the system rewards this kind of play.

hahaha yup ishi i agree.
i had a run in with a commanders that tried for 1 hour or more to take a tower in the south while pulling all players down there where our guild and a few others from ultd and ptx stayed in the north where a smaller zerg was around supply camps.
i asked people to help lock down the north first before attacking the south. the commanders response was. oh well if u want people to listen go buy yourself a tag, chill u should have fun….2 min later 20 enemies tried to attack garrison watergate with 2 golems the commander didnt even move when i said inc as i was guarding watergate. 2 superrior arrowcarts and a mortar with 4 defenders saved garrison that is one of the important keeps. commander still fighting one tower ignoring whats happening around him and laughing at people without tag.

if i wanted to i could raise money for a tag, but i dont want to as i think only REAL commanders should have one. we have 2 amazing commanders in our guild.

if there was a point system for commanders that adds up every single time that commander caps, defends or kills , it would maybe change things. maybe each commander should get a color according to his achievments in wvsw or something that highlights that this commander is being active and successful. New players would not follow blindly some commander into their death.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: scootshoot.6583

scootshoot.6583

The different colored idea on maps with multiple commanders is a good idea. If there is a suggestion box make sure you let Anet know.

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Rob.7624

After coming back to this again today.
I’ve decided to not give another sensible response and to just say simply.

Commanders need to be more OP kthxbai

MOAR SIEGE
^^^^^^

Stuff needs to be sorted out in WvW.
I’m sorry to say that its getting pretty boring doing the exact same tricks to flip a keep.
In the end it all depends on zerg size (with the 5 man cap) no matter what the Commander does.
But anyway, thats the simple truth of it.
I’d also like to see weekly alternating maps but I don’t suppose they’ll appear until an expansion is released.

Commander Bird Song
Os Guild

Commanders need fixing

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

The problem is having several blue commander icons on the map is pretty much useless.

The problem is half those blue pins are simply guild groups using the only system in the game to coordinate more than one group. Until there is a viable option added you are going to see commanders on the map that are not interested in leading the map.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry