Constructive Feedback: WvW Reset Time Change

in WvW

Posted by: Tyras.7043

Tyras.7043

The change to the WvW reset time has come has a surprise to most of us, and some welcome it while others don’t. In situations like these, I try to list the pros and the cons so that I can objectively see both sides of the issue. This change definitely has some wide reaching impact, so I’m going to separate the impact as best as I can for objectivity. As such, some of the pros and cons may conflict, since I will be attempting to look at the change from the perspectives of different communities. First, the unknowns:

Unknowns

• The reset time changing to Saturday could drastically affect the way matches are determined, leading to more variety in match-ups.
  • The new maps may have a drastic effect on how PPT is accumulated, changing the WvW scene even more.
  • Friday could become worthless for PPT and fights since the scores of some Tiers are already decided by the last day in the week. Even having +690 PPT may not mean you can come back from a loss.

Pros

Fight based Guilds

• PPT matters less, since most matches are already decided this late in the week. This could lead to more fights for fights sake.
  • It’s possible most pugs will have left WvW at this point, further solidifying a fights oriented nature of Friday.
  • GvG’s and other events have more time to be setup, and this could be a great day to do them on.
  • Queue times are reduced on Friday.
  • Saturday will reset all structures, meaning you don’t need to attempt to take a tier 3 keep because the other server had good coverage overnight.

Objective based Guilds

• Friday gives you a last minute chance to push to victory if you are in a close match-up.
  • Saturday gives you a fresh start on all structures and PPT.
  • If you have a lot of coverage in your guild, you are better able to determine your PPT throughout the week, since the weekend won’t have as much impact.

Cons

General

• Scheduling changes lead to scheduling issues at times.
  • Friday may lose it’s impact for players if the week has been a blowout in score, leading to less population in WvW overall.

Fight based Guilds

• The work you do, towards kills or towards PPT, gets reset on Saturday, effectively making one of your days of progress lose it’s importance.
  • It’s possible Friday may be given up to karma trains, reducing the amount of fights given overall.
  • If Friday loses it’s importance, that only gives one strong night on the weekend, as Sunday generally means people work the next day, thus reducing play time.

Objective based Guilds

• Friday becomes a waste of time, since most matches are decided earlier in the week.
  • Saturday reset means you have less time to make an impact on the score before the week starts.
  • Coverage will become more important for PPT, meaning small guilds will have less of an impact overall.

My proposal:

From what I can see of how this change will impact WvW, it is accomplishing some good things, and some bad. It does appear that WvW needs a change to give the players more power to impact matches, either through fights or through capturing objectives, and although this change would accomplish that, I believe it might negatively impact players more than expected.

To counter this, I would propose the reset date is instead changed to Wednesday or Thursday night (backing up the time 24 or 48 hours from where it currently is). This change would have some positive benefits compared to Friday and Saturday:

1. Reset Night itself will not be overpopulated with players, causing high queue times, due to the middle of the work week.
  2. The weekend would be centered throughout the week, giving that majority of players plenty of time to have an impact on that week’s score.
  3. Friday would no longer force all players to join at the same time, reducing queues overall and spreading players out between the different maps. This will decrease load on the servers, as well as increase the amount of playable time on the weekend.
  4. Friday would no longer be a hard reset on all objectives. Players that can participate in WvW on the weekend would come in to see towers and keeps upgraded, people defending structures, experience fights around upgraded structures.
  5. For Fight based Guilds or solo WvW players (roamers), you would know your match-up ahead of time, and if you needed to schedule fights, or setup a “Fight Club” you could do so well in advance and possibly on a weekend, thus increasing the accessibility and the community overall.

However, there may still be some negatives here:

1. Tuesday is the day most patches drop. This only leaves one day (about 30 hours) for bug fixes to be implemented before a Wednesday reset
  2. It only allows one day of testing (about 30 hours) for players when balance changes are released.
  3. It shifts the end of the week a bit closer to Sunday, meaning players that may not have the weekend off may play during less desirable times in order to have an impact on the scoring.
Tyras Fraust [Os] | NSP
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Xernth.8561

Xernth.8561

Its a really bad idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

Its a really bad idea.

The original or the one posted above? Why?

This is a discussion not a place to post disgust.

Unfortunately the mindset that ‘the match is already over’ is what really hurts WvW. Gliko is designed around every point counting so even though you are not going to win getting those extra points from holding a keep for a few more hours makes a difference in ranking.

My theory on this reasoning? There is no incentive to having a higher Gliko score so servers don’t care if their score is high or low. Winning a match does however give a reward (not a super significant one but something none the less) so if a match is servers will play out the week.

Should we give rewards for higher Gliko? Probably not, that just makes people want to transfer to T1 servers instead further enforcing the ‘population problem’ we already have.

How can we make every point count for more than Gliko? Make rewards based on Gliko change every week. That way even if you are matched up against tough servers, you are motivated to try and get as many points as possible for better rewards. Can this system be gamed? Yes to a degree, servers could tank their Gliko for later weeks being easy Gliko gains however the same can apply to how servers are currently rewarded for ‘winning’ matches.

What does this have to do with reset? A lot actually, (or it would be a different thread >_<) the main reason that reset night is when everyone plays is two fold. First, it’s during the weekend when people have more time available to play. Second is because people think it has the biggest impact on if you server will win the week or not. So people don’t play towards the end of the week because ‘the match is already over’. Then when ArenaNet changes the day of reset to later in the weekend people get upset because there is ‘less WvW play time’ for them.

Reset night shouldn’t matter when it comes to how much people play WvW, unfortunately it is ‘everything’.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Now this OP was well written. Well done.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Xernth.8561

Xernth.8561

Given your thread title, and this being a message board, I just posted my constructive feedback to the change.

With regard to your idea, it isn’t better than keeping reset on Friday. Having reset on Friday night:

1) Ensures the match is undecided when the most people can play for the entire weekend
2) Gives a definitive time to organize in an evening when you can be reasonably sure enemy organized groups will be out there also.

Making reset Sunday messes up #1 because now Friday night will bring out less people, and no one will even maintain the illusion what gets done “matters” because most of the time the match will be decided.

Having reset in the middle of the week messes up #2 because its not the weekend and real life intrudes. Sure, people will still show up for reset night, but common sense says there will be less of them and for shorter periods of time. Yes, I’m aware some people work weekends.

Lets be honest, very few really care who wins or loses because as you note there’s no real incentive to care and the matchmaking is so unbalanced no amount of caring matters in many situations. The important part is maintaining the illusion to ourselves it matters, which is why moving reset night is a mistake.

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Reset time is generally a major event in WvW – everyone jumps on because it’s reset, so server populations are highest. There’s no more to it than that – it’s not because at 6pm Pacific on Friday there’s suddenly a huge number of people coming on to play that couldn’t have been there an hour ago.

Put that in Wednesday and there’s still going to be a rush, just at an inconvenient time. Saturday is easier for most people to make, but also happens to make the queues longer; however, I’m not seeing all maps queued at reset, and my server is not far off the full mark.

(edited by Ben K.6238)

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, that does bring up a question. Are people there because of reset night, or just because it’s Friday night?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Both. It’s Friday, there are many pulls on our time, but you know that reset time is going to give you the best chance all week of decent fights and reasonable numbers on all sides, running through into good numbers for most of Saturday.

If there is nothing to fight for and reset is tomorrow, there are better things to do with your time than sit around wondering if anyone on the enemy side will bother logging in so you can have a duel on a Friday.

OP is overly focused on fight guilds and doesn’t include the majority of the wvw player base in his considerations- many of whom don’t belong to ‘fight guilds’ and who would like to see a competitive Friday night of action together with Saturday all day rather than some meaningless gvg or a ‘fight guild’ running off and allowing the enemy to flip t3 structures (or just standing in spawn making the map full).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

in WvW

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

For me it’s because it’s Friday. I can’t play on Saturdays so reset will now be a no go for me. Now my guild won’t bother participating in server reset meetings because we won’t be there.

As far as feedback is concerned – What is the reason? They basically waited until less than 2 weeks before HOT and bam “BTW, we’re changing WvW reset to Saturdays”. WTK.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in WvW

Posted by: Korel.3185

Korel.3185

Constructive feedback – ask your customers what they want, what they like, what they don’t like. Craft a proposal. Either test market it or poll the customer for feedback. Adjust, proceed, and/or scrap the proposal based on said test or feedback. That’s how changes and change management works.

Based on responses, it appears this is NOT something hard core WvWers care for. Anet could have saved us some grief by ASKING first.

in WvW

Posted by: Korel.3185

Korel.3185

Well, that does bring up a question. Are people there because of reset night, or just because it’s Friday night?

We’re there because it’s “Friday Reset Night.” Followed by, “Saturday, Let’s Go Paper Their Garrison” afternoon. Friday just happens to work great and makes it possible for folks in AsiaPac to play, too.

in WvW

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

AsiaPac will only be affected by this change by having 1 full weekend day to play instead of 2. Currently WvW resets on Sat mornings, after the change it will be Sun mornings. This might actually help some people if they do stuff Saturday and have Sunday as their lazy day but I don’t want to speak for a broad playerbase so take this just as my own perspective.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Reset time is generally a major event in WvW – everyone jumps on because it’s reset, so server populations are highest. There’s no more to it than that – it’s not because at 6pm Pacific on Friday there’s suddenly a huge number of people coming on to play that couldn’t have been there an hour ago.

Put that in Wednesday and there’s still going to be a rush, just at an inconvenient time. Saturday is easier for most people to make, but also happens to make the queues longer; however, I’m not seeing all maps queued at reset, and my server is not far off the full mark.

Actually it is mainly due to it being Reset Night Friday as to why many come on for Friday night reset. For most, it’s the weekend, they can stay up late and not have to worry about waking for work the next day. It is also after they get off of work for the week, for most (Speaking about mon-fri 8-5’ers)

Put it Sunday/Monday/Tues/Wed/Thurs, and you have many who can not stay up late in NA due to working the next day. Putting Reset on Saturday, means where the majority who work mon-fri 8to5, used to enjoy 2 nights of wvw’ing without waking for work the following day, they now only get 1 night. Cutting down on enjoyable time they get to play.

(And before anyone say’s it, it also cuts down on those who are form over sea’s on the time they can play wvw, before it’s just K-training.)

It’s like how clubs/bars/movie theaters are busy on Fridays/Saturday’s without having to run specials or themed nights. It’s the weekend and people like to enjoy both nights where they dont have to work the following day.

And that is from someone who doesn’t work the same mon-fri 8-5 as the majority of players do.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Weekends are when people have time to play. Reset on Wednesday means the mid-week nightcappers have already determined the matchup by the weekend.

The effect of the scores on player enthusiasm should not be underestimated.

Right now, players from underdog servers make efforts to be only down by 5000 by the end of the weekend.

With Wednesday reset, you’re already down 30,000 by Friday night. There’s much less motivation to work hard to only be down by 35,000 by the end of the weekend.

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I’d like to give “Constructive Feedback” but, I’m still filled with far too much anger at the decisions being made. Nothing they are designing is helping build World communities. Everything being done feels like a deliberate slap in the face to the top organized Worlds. I’ll go so far as say it feels like the dev’s are designing to basically break the mode. I know a lot of us have been asking why so much PvE type design choices in the new maps. Asking ourselves why it feels like the new maps are going to turn WvW into EotM 2.0. Well, this change feels like another push toward that end.

My “Constructive Feedback” is that whomever is on the design team for WvW needs to be reassigned. They are not WvW players at heart and have no clue what motivates us to play and what we enjoy. If for no other reason than the fact that next week is the Expansion and I should be absolutely ecstatic!!! Instead, I barely feel like logging in.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

Constructive feedback: Leave it alone, Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

I like the change but that’s just my opinion. I’d much rather not try to rush home and get on for reset at the end of my week, I’d prefer to get home and relax awhile without feeling as though I need to be on by X time. It also gives most people that last chance push for the week without having to worry about early morning work.
Besides it will let guild schedule other activities on Friday night, they might see more attendance than a week night.

in WvW

Posted by: Stonewall.6037

Stonewall.6037

If HoT eventually supports true GvG spaces, I would anticipate that GvG will be what mostly happens Friday night.

So Long, and Thanks For the Loot Bags.

in WvW

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Constructive feedback: Leave it alone, Anet.

Anet: We really don’t give a kitten what you have to say.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

If HoT eventually supports true GvG spaces, I would anticipate that GvG will be what mostly happens Friday night.

Love that idea, Friday night fight club.

No impact on end-week scores really, so no one can kvetch.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

Constructive Feedback:

These last second proclamations by ANet make me nervous about what comes next.

When I’m nervous I don’t enjoy gaming.

When I don’t enjoy gaming I don’t game.

When I don’t game i lose interest in my current game.

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

Straw poll still showing 75% wanting friday reset and 25% wanting Sat. :/

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: wyther.8372

wyther.8372

Changing of a time is a “relatively no development time” spent scenario for ANET to try and boost numbers to a dying game mode. Considering the amount of hours over 3 years they have had to enhance the game the actual time spent upgrading WvW has been minimal and that is how they want it. Take out EoTM, which let’s be honest is just more advanced PvE, and the development time allotted to WvW is so minimal it is almost not on the radar.

Look, face it, you don’t matter….and this isn’t an individual dev problem…it is a problem with upper management who believes you don’t exist, as we know due to the lead guy saying YOU DON’T EXIST.

Anyway, adjust or not because the developers who do give a crap aren’t allowed to since they have to answer to bosses who ….obviously know better (sarcasm intended). Anyway, new games are coming out very soon and the best thing to do is talk with your money and move on once they do.

Gilkin – Ex Commander for ET server

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Just reposting here in case you didn’t wade through the other thread:

Hello All,

There are a couple of reasons for the change to reset time. One is for the overall quality of the game. The last few years we have been careful to not disrupt the WvW reset time but this has at times made it difficult for our team to address issues during reset day. This change will give our team an extra day of the week that they can use to respond to issues that may occur with WvW or any other area of the game if it is necessary. In the early days we wanted reset to be during a weekday to ensure we had people available to monitor the game at reset time, but at this point we have seen the ongoing stability of World vs. World and resetting on a weekday is no longer necessary.

Another reason is the emergent gameplay that has come from reset. It has become one of the most exciting times for WvW and we would really love for more players to have the opportunity to experience it. We have many more players logging in on Saturday than on Friday which means with this change many more people will be available to experience the rush of claiming objectives for their world during reset.

However, given the concerns posted here we will be moving the Saturday reset to earlier in the day to give most players the majority of the day to enjoy the start of the new match. Immediately after launch the new time will be 11am PDT / 2pm EDT (6 pm UTC) for NA and 11am BST / 12 pm CEST (10 am UTC) for EU. Keep in mind that the following week with the end of Daylight Savings Time / Summer Time the reset times will be pushed even earlier to 10am PST/ 1pm EST and 10am GMT / 11am CET.

Thank you for your feedback. We realize that no time we pick is going to work for everyone but this change is going to benefit even more players overall while at the same time giving us a little more breathing room to improve the quality of the game during the week.

Thanks,
John

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think Saturday is the “best” in number of ppl being able to make it to reset you do lose the event of Friday night but it can start being a Saturday thing. I think the real problem is the time it self changes it may simply be too early for some time zones.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

What’s the point of making another thread on this?

They’re just going to get merged anyway

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

in WvW

Posted by: cillard.3986

cillard.3986

I think Saturday is the “best” in number of ppl being able to make it to reset you do lose the event of Friday night but it can start being a Saturday thing. I think the real problem is the time it self changes it may simply be too early for some time zones.

Your point would be partially valid if this change didn’t take away Friday night and half of Saturday (or most in the case of a normal reset time) all together. This change isn’t additive, it is vastly negative and will result in less players logged in for less hours overall.

in WvW

Jski.6180

Your point would be partially valid if this change didn’t take away Friday night and half of Saturday (or most in the case of a normal reset time) all together. This change isn’t additive, it is vastly negative and will result in less players logged in for less hours overall.

Most ppl who can play Friday night play Saturday night too. My point is that by having it on Saturday you can have both Friday group and the ppl who cant make it Friday night due to real life can now make it to reset set over all making reset an bigger event. Now the time chosen for reset on Saturday is the real problem.

Any way at the end of the day if ppl do dislike it then you will not see numbers on reset and it will go though its own changes. Ppl should play WvW for WvW not ppt and this will show what ppl truly want from RvR games.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

If you want more people to experience the rush of reset, have more resets.

Also, have reset on Friday, give employees Friday off, have them come into work on Sunday instead. Bam, extra day. Just an idea :-)

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: SilentKill.9586

SilentKill.9586

Sigh Anet. So first I want show anet why this will not work then I will offer the only solution that might be viable.

Since gw2 launch anet has done a good job at when they had reset. NA players follow the weekend rules which in turn created a huge player base for reset on Friday nights. Does everyone get a chance to play? Of course not, I myself cannot make resets now because I Work 3rd shift.

Not one NA guild that I Can think of and of course I Could be wrong, is going to say ok guys we are going to raid Saturday days now guys. You will absolutely destroy wvw by switching to this time.

Think about you’re player base anet. Ages 10-18 years old have school Monday through Friday. So this is what lot do Friday nights. Saturday day they are with their families and such. Ages 18-30, if they decided to not go out on Friday nights they play gw2 by Saturday day they are already busy. 30-whatever age. We are off work normally on Saturday and Sunday. By Saturday day we are busy with family and friends.

You will lose this player b ase I assure you. I only have 2 viable solutions. 1. leave it be, why mess something up that’s not broken? 2. Push reset up a day not back a day. So basically EU And NA would switch.

Snoopysrevenge (TIE) Guild Leader

Snoopysrevenge “They’re So Angry”
TIE Guild Leader
Mag Commander

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Also, have reset on Friday, give employees Friday off, have them come into work on Sunday instead. Bam, extra day. Just an idea :-)

Let EU have reset Friday night EU time.
Let NA have reset Friday night NA time.
Let OCX have reset Friday night OCX time.
Let SEA have reset Friday night SEA time.

Have four glicko ratings, one for each peak time and arrange matches based on peak glicko instead of overall glicko. This will end “night capping”

in WvW

Posted by: Zoel.9154

Zoel.9154

NA reset has been moved to EU prime time.

Players who wanted to play around then are already in EU.

Why should NA get the reset time that players have already left NA for?

Zoel – GM of [coVn]

in WvW

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

I play on EU for EU reset time and have an account on NA for the NA reset time. So.. why do you take that away from me?

Never change something that worked out well for the majority of the players. I have never seen any complain about the reset times at all.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in WvW

Posted by: sydney.4901

sydney.4901

Cast your vote For re-set Day. http://strawpoll.me/5736600/r

in WvW

Posted by: Roy.7405

Roy.7405

Constructive feedback – 2 Resets per matchup:

Friday Afternoon:
There would be a 24 hour matchup from Friday afternoon- Saturday afternoon. This would be a time where WvW is competitive, a group’s contribution matters, team sizes are as even as WvW allows, and chaotic, which is what people enjoy most about reset/weekend-WvW and is why people enjoy it so much in the first place, and why no one wants to be cut out of it or have their fun limited. All the timezones would have equal importance, so there is no timezone getting shafted. It would allow smaller servers, who are usually outnumbered during the week, to show their skill and organization for a short 24-hour period; something that is completely lost over long matchups. The end of matchup rewards would remain the same (they’re pretty bad anyways =p) to encourage participation during that 24-hour period, but the results could have less or even no impact on the server ranking calculations.

Saturday Afternoon:
On Saturday afternoon, the second reset would take place and continue for the rest of the 6-day week. We all know that it would be less competitive and more about population during this second part of the matchup, but at least more folks would get to experience reset which is what ANet’s primary objective is. This second part of the matchup would have the standard rewards and would be what Server rating is based off of.

in WvW

Jski.6180

I still think its best is number for choosing Saturday over Friday all though the time is too early as is.

What i think is a real fix for the rush of an reset is to “fix” EotM whom has a reset every 3hr? (not comply sure how long). The ideal would be to make EotM worth caping and holding to win out that 3hr at the same time making it much harder to just foces a new OF map where your side is not losing. The pieces are there to give this type of event every day if need be but it would require an major overhaul of EotM.

in WvW

Posted by: Roy.7405

Roy.7405

Constructive feedback – 2 Resets per matchup:

Friday Afternoon:
There would be a 24 hour matchup from Friday afternoon- Saturday afternoon. This would be a time where WvW is competitive, a group’s contribution matters, team sizes are as even as WvW allows, and chaotic, which is what people enjoy most about reset/weekend-WvW and is why people enjoy it so much in the first place, and why no one wants to be cut out of it or have their fun limited. All the timezones would have equal importance, so there is no timezone getting shafted. It would allow smaller servers, who are usually outnumbered during the week, to show their skill and organization for a short 24-hour period; something that is completely lost over long matchups. The end of matchup rewards would remain the same (they’re pretty bad anyways =p) to encourage participation during that 24-hour period, but the results could have less or even no impact on the server ranking calculations.

Saturday Afternoon:
On Saturday afternoon, the second reset would take place and continue for the rest of the 6-day week. We all know that it would be less competitive and more about population during this second part of the matchup, but at least more folks would get to experience reset which is what ANet’s primary objective is. This second part of the matchup would have the standard rewards and would be what Server rating is based off of.

If desired, as a second part of the above (slightly more complicated), there could even be two different server ratings that are tracked: A 24-hour rating and a Week-Long rating.

The 24-hour rating could be used to determine the 24-hour matchup for Friday afternoon. Since smaller servers may be able to compete better with larger ones during these shorter time periods, there could be a little more variety in the matchups, and with proper incentives could be competitive across tiers.

The matchup determined by the Week-Long rating would be the match that is started on Saturday afternoon and would be the 6-day matchup. The matchups in the 6 day match don’t have to be (and probably wouldn’t be) the same as the 24-hour matchups.

The 24-hour match could be determined 6 days in advance (since there are 6 days in between them), while the Week-Long matchup is known a day in advance, allowing time for coordination should guilds or fight clubs wish to organize something.

(edited by Roy.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Let EU have reset Friday night EU time.
Let NA have reset Friday night NA time.
Let OCX have reset Friday night OCX time.
Let SEA have reset Friday night SEA time.

Have four glicko ratings, one for each peak time and arrange matches based on peak glicko instead of overall glicko. This will end “night capping”

Since there are no OCX/SEA servers, how in the world would you manage that? Re-reset servers?

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Let me address some of the OPs misconceptions and misunderstandings as I see them.

•The reset time changing to Saturday could drastically affect the way matches are determined, leading to more variety in match-ups.

How so? A week long match up is a week long. If the day it starts and ends effects the matches, that is the fault of the players.

•Friday could become worthless for PPT and fights since the scores of some Tiers are already decided by the last day in the week. Even having +690 PPT may not mean you can come back from a loss.

I do not think useless means what you think it means. I feel your projecting your perception as if it were reality.

Do you know how many points you can acquire in one day with a 690 tick?

•PPT matters less, since most matches are already decided this late in the week. This could lead to more fights for fights sake.

See above.

It is a mathematical fact that it doesn’t matter less, later in the week, unless you are further behind in the score, then it is possible to gain in optimal situations during the remaining time to next reset.

This “give up” mentality through out the player base, and being promoted across the forums, is someone shameful in my personal opinion.

•Friday gives you a last minute chance to push to victory if you are in a close match-up.

This is a better statement in my opinion. It is more reasonable and hopeful then before. This is how players should see it in my opinion.

•Scheduling changes lead to scheduling issues at times.

I guess. If you put your hobby of some video game time, as enough priority that it leads to “scheduling issues” in your life, then perhaps some should step back and reevaluate their priorities.

•The work you do, towards kills or towards PPT, gets reset on Saturday, effectively making one of your days of progress lose it’s importance.

Again, that is not factually accurate. A day in the week of a match up, is a day in the match up. Your disingenuously implying where it falls in the week, mathematically changes its value? That doesn’t make any sense, as it is factually incorrect.

•If Friday loses it’s importance, that only gives one strong night on the weekend, as Sunday generally means people work the next day, thus reducing play time.

One strong night for who? Do most players have such limited social lives, that video game time on the weekend evenings is that impactful on their social, physical, and mental welfare?

I do not understand the issue. I almost never play at reset. Maybe 25% of the time if I am lucky. I have kids, grand kids. Horses to train, cattle to tend to, a full time job besides all of that.

I play this game for fun. I do not let it guide my life.

A match is a week. whether is starts on a Saturday, or a Tuesday. I do not let the score effect whether I play or not. From what I am reading in the other hate thread, the posters complaining the hardest, off the most evidence that they create their own problems

Such as complaints about who does or doesn’t play based on score gaps. Crying that people do not play when there is a big score gap for example, seems so mentally backwards to me. That is when you make an effort to gather your servers players in game, and use the score leaders laziness and complacency, to close the gap with less resistance.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: kathy.8291

kathy.8291

What a horrible idea making reset on a Saturday in the middle of the day. People go away, spend time with the family and as is WvW is empty on the weekends let alone make reset. This will NOT bring more people into WvW due to the fact that the weekend are empty already. Pve players DONT EVEN attempt to go into wvw unless its the daily. Anet are you trying to phase out WvW and make this ONLY a pve game. Please DO NOT change WvW reset on a saturday, we are already upset with the new wvw changes. sad sad sad day in WvW, better start learning how to farm in silverwaste.

(edited by kathy.8291)

in WvW

Posted by: DomAltares.8651

DomAltares.8651

No point in this thread anymore, folks. The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken, and at the same time revealed the lack of anyone at all behind the WvW curtain.

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

@OP: Liked your idea if you picked Thursday as the reset day. It would only be 24 hours before the "current" reset, it might lessen the queues on friday, might make some more interest in thursday. Without giving too big a lead in points to any one server.

It might make servers more aggressive to take back points after a single weekday (where it still feels attainable for most).

You still have the problem with run-away score to coverage/population in the usual week-days. As well as the general attitude of giving up in the weekdays if they are too far behind.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Anything that reduces the effects of population imbalances and nightcapping is a step in the right direction at this point.

If these changes turn out to accomplish that, then I will be for them, otherwise it remains undetermined as there are both positives and negatives about equally.

the expansion fairweathers will come and go relatively quick. I will hold off my judgement until this stabilizes and we can see the whole scope of the results within the game.

The thing that is absolutely certain is that A-Net needed and still needs to do something, they can not do nothing any longer because whole servers have been basically going dead in the current status quo, so it has to change. if moving reset time is a part of such changes, then so be it. If it fails and makes things worse, then at least they tried, if the changes succeed, then that is of course better.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

@OP
I vote for Friday Night Reset. Sorry to go off topic in my below post…

@Tongku
I agree…population inbalance is the source issue…nightcapping is one of the many symptoms of this…which the current map mechanic can’t be fixed easily. The base map mechanic in my opinion would need to change.

But for a Band-Aid solution…I’d say a thread titled:

WvW-Claiming-circles-a-balanced-solution

has the right idea…

Moving the Weekly Reset Time so folks can enjoy it because there aren’t enough folks on dead worlds…is sadly becoming a fix to the current server stacking trend that creates them.

Edit:

WvW Claiming Circles – It’s a good idea that would only benefit the Dominant World in keeping the Weaker & Less populated Worlds from fielding a small team to fight back in my opinion. I wouldn’t support this idea.

(edited by Diku.2546)