Contesting Waypoints

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

Im sure many have complained about this, but please raise the damage required to contest a waypoint.

1000 damage to a gate.

In all these updates coming, we really should see something in regards to this. Its not right that one person can tie up a waypoint that the server works to get and keep.

While I realize we cant rid this game of trolls, it would be nice to not feed them something like this.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

denied.
- imagine a long fight in the lord-room where you have to re-contest the wp to avoid insta-rezzing defenders.
- on the opposite, your change does not solve the issue. people would simply send 2 guys to do 5 auto-attacks each, or one would do 10.

your gain/cost ratio is way off the charts.

and tbh, I doubt that there is an issue at all.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

nightblood.7910

Nahh there is a definitely an issue. Ive watched keeps in EBG stay contested for hours because of someone who is just too good at running off. And if by chance they are caught and killed they just come right back.

Ive watched Nike Warriors contest an enitire EBG third on other servers. And thieves being able to keep waypoints closed constantly.

You are right though, we wouldnt want to do something where it takes something so serious that a zerg in the middle of taking a keep cant keep it contested.

Maybe a requirement of number of people in the vicinity or something. Something needs to happen, every night this weekend SoS EBG keep has been contested constantly by Nike/Condi Ranger, you kill him, he comes right back.

But its definitely a problem, A server shouldnt lose a way point to one person, that shouldnt happen.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: aquabat.2986

aquabat.2986

Just kill him before he gets to tap it, that guy is horrid anyway and you can easily catch and kill them (or anyone) tapping OL. He has a strange fetish for tapping OL for hours at a time achieving nothing. No distracion, no fake pushes, they just really like to keep OL tapped. Same gate, same patterns, over and over. If you haven’t figured out how to deal with them then all the power to them.

It would be nice if the actually damage to the gate would be raised, or at least kill a guard before contest. It just doesn’t make sense that 1 damage can be compared to an actually all out assault equally.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

nightblood.7910

Well yeah you can stay around and guard your keep from that one guy, but who wants to do that constantly?

And yeah Ive put him down a couple of times myself, but I grow tired of that.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Not an issue. Really. It’s annoying but you can counter it by scouting

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Don’t worry guys, there’s a new map coming that will fix everything. Period.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I stopped tagging for a couple of weeks, when they removed white swords from contested objectives.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

They could make it so that a waypoint is only contested if the tower is hit with siege.

This mean no longer cana thief or mesmer stealth and knock and run, they will have build some siege somewhere and get at least one hit on a gate or wall.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Contest by siege only seems fair solution. Fighting for keeps with WP would need to have another thing in them – either you have a golem or other siege hitting the gate somwhere or the enemies can instantly wp back to either help defend the garri or get farmed at waypoint, either way it would be interesting.
Ah yes, and Bloin would have to put away his nomad runner gear and learn to fight actually

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Nothing wrong with tapping WP’s. Get better scouts and defenders. Rotate out defenders so people don’t get bored.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

You want only siege being able to contest a wp?
Okay, here you have it.
Your garrison suddenly never gets contested again for a fake-push, but all your pushes are pointless once the enemy has a wp in their keeps, since they just insta-rezz and clear you off easily.

Fake-pushes are valid strategic gameplay, applied by both Servers.
Perma-contesting your enemy is actually good scout-work which disrupts the enemy.
Being perma-contested yourself is actually bad defender work, so step up your game.
Again, I see no issue here, except “I don’t like how other players outplay me”.

JFTR: I love to defend myself. I have to deal with perma-contesting scouts as well. I think it’s a fun and engaging challenge to not only take them out, but to come up with plans how to deny them their goal individually as the situation seems fit.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

We’re… We’re not talking about me are we? Lmfao. I spent 2 hours keeping FA Lowlands keep contested not long ago to the point I was being chased across the map by mini zergs.

On topic though… I think it would make sense to increase the damage needed to contest a keep but as others have said either one person would just need to spend a few extra seconds or two people could go and do it immediately.

Unfortunately some people just like to troll but during times where your server is outnumbered it’s a legitimate strategy to contest your enemies waypoint. It’s annoying for the enemy, no doubt, but it does serve a purpose at the right time.

Also honestly unless they’re a bot they’ll get tired of being annoying eventually. If it’s a Thief, tell people to drop Stealth traps and have a few scouts hang around the gates for a while.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Atoss.1056

Contesting with siege is pretty easy though, you can just build sneaky cata at sneaky spot and contest it sneaky sneaky Sure it takes 2-3 runs to supply camp or 2-3 friends to come with you, but that looks more ok to me, than a troll running around tagging things for fun while using build with tons of chill/immob/cripple resistance 98% or stances and highest mobility in the game. Ofc you can kill the troll, but like in life or in forums, just the same way in game noone likes to deal with them.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: ZhouFusion.1826

ZhouFusion.1826

I get why people don’t wanne change it and why they do.
Now 1 guy can keep it contested for hours wich is unfair.
But without contesting a Zerg with waypoints can save everything without effort.

So theres options.
They could put a Limit on waypoints.
You can Waypoint Once every 3-5min.
Wich could make contesting a bit less usefull.

Or they can change the way it gets contested.
I like the idea only by Siege but it doesn’t sound compleet.
But i would like to add Also by hitting the lord.
Or by Hitting Inner Walls/gates.

And if it wouldn’t be to bad i wanne see what happends if:
Lord dead = Waypoint deactivated.
Would be interesting concept but i bet we never see it happen to many people would be against it.
But personaly if your enemy gets in your keep and manage to kill the lord. then you should had have time to stop them and it means you where slacking.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

No. This would only serve to hinder havoc teams who already have a lower supply income than normal.

Get your zerg, and do something smart with it. Like actually using your numbers appropriately instead of having a moving deathball.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

But without contesting a Zerg with waypoints can save everything without effort.

For me, the issue is not that one guy can contest it. It is that one guy can contest it, with simply one hit. I am fine with one guy contesting it, but he should be required considerably more effort. As this is a “group play” oriented game, I feel there should be a system that makes it more efficient for a group to contest it, while allowing a single person, the capability. In my opinion, setting a higher level of damage to cause it to become contested, offers that.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

nightblood.7910

For me, the issue is not that one guy can contest it. It is that one guy can contest it, with simply one hit. I am fine with one guy contesting it, but he should be required considerably more effort. As this is a “group play” oriented game, I feel there should be a system that makes it more efficient for a group to contest it, while allowing a single person, the capability. In my opinion, setting a higher level of damage to cause it to become contested, offers that.

Im agreeing with this. Its too easily accomplished.

And honestly, it requires how many upgrades to get that waypoint. How long do you have to keep SM or a KEEP to get those waypoints, only to have them be taken away by one insanely dedicated troll.

Having a waypoint in say SM is a hard thing to accomplish in a good match, then once the server gets it there one guy can knock on a door once to take it away? (Im using this as an example of difficulty in creating the waypoint.)

A ton of work from an entire server so easily voided by one guy is not right, why bother having the waypoints in the game with the upgrade track to get them.

Imagine real life, some dude comes up and knocks on the door, I dont think it would set off the lockdown security in the keep.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

nightblood.7910

Contesting with siege is pretty easy though, you can just build sneaky cata at sneaky spot and contest it sneaky sneaky Sure it takes 2-3 runs to supply camp or 2-3 friends to come with you, but that looks more ok to me, than a troll running around tagging things for fun while using build with tons of chill/immob/cripple resistance 98% or stances and highest mobility in the game. Ofc you can kill the troll, but like in life or in forums, just the same way in game noone likes to deal with them.

Yeah, you can destroy and go take back the camp they took to build it. While yes it would work once, maybe twice, but because you can kill that cata and guild catas are expensive while sup catas are expensive in sups, it really makes it hard to keep it contested constantly.

I dont mind a strategic contesting of a way point once, but the three hour trolling of it is getting old.

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

nightblood.7910

So theres options.
They could put a Limit on waypoints.
You can Waypoint Once every 3-5min.
Wich could make contesting a bit less usefull.

Or they can change the way it gets contested.
I like the idea only by Siege but it doesn’t sound compleet.
But i would like to add Also by hitting the lord.
Or by Hitting Inner Walls/gates.

And if it wouldn’t be to bad i wanne see what happends if:
Lord dead = Waypoint deactivated.
Would be interesting concept but i bet we never see it happen to many people would be against it.
But personaly if your enemy gets in your keep and manage to kill the lord. then you should had have time to stop them and it means you where slacking.

I personally dont see the other side of this as you say “A zerg with waypoints can save everything without effort”. They had to work to get those waypoints. If the waypoints were just there with no work then this might be a valid argument.

Thats one of the designs of the game, you dont like them having a waypoint, take that keep. Then keep pressure on the camps and towers from havok teams extending the time it takes to get the waypoint and keep sups in the keep. Keep pressure on the keep to get them to use up their sups repairing it to keep them from getting that waypoint.

Yeah each of these things are a tad more difficult than running up and knocking on the door to disable a waypoint, but well wouldnt that be the point?

Contesting Waypoints

in WvW

Atoss.1056

Yeah, you can destroy and go take back the camp they took to build it. While yes it would work once, maybe twice, but because you can kill that cata and guild catas are expensive while sup catas are expensive in sups, it really makes it hard to keep it contested constantly.

1 shot from 1 well hidden cata per 4min of the contest time it’s easy to pull off. Unless you keep using it to actually do the dmg and lure defenders on you. The sound of cata shots is easy to be heard if it’s used for longer time, but 1 shot – who would even think about it “Meh, someone shot cata somewhere, maybe it was our own? Bk to my stuff anyway”.