Couple of thoughts from a mainly PVE player

in WvW

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

1. WvW should’ve been main endgame and most lucrative way to spend time in game.
2. WvW and PVE should be tightly connected. For example if situation on BLs and EB is bad for your server, you get major debuff in PvE like penalties to gold gain, magic find, higher WP costs, higher TP fees etc.
3. Claiming an objective for a guild should be a HUGE deal for all of its members.
4. Staying inside and defending a claimed objective should give rewards with very high gold/hour rate.
5. Commanders should have ability to initiate “Call of the Mists” (on a huge cooldown and maybe some token requirements) – A message that pops up for all players on the server, that invites them to be teleported to BL or EB, and if player agrees, gives a buff similar to Volunteer’s Blessing.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

2. WvW and PVE should be tightly connected. For example if situation on BLs and EB is bad for your server, you get major debuff in PvE like penalties to gold gain, magic find, higher WP costs, higher TP fees etc.

I like your ideas as a player except this one ^^ …. If something like this were in place … the forums would blow up with the pve players who don’t want to ever enter WvW being penalised for poor server performance.

But all of your suggestions sound great to me… there is a nice list of incentives for players who don’t commonly play in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Sagramor.7395

Sagramor.7395

5. Commanders should have ability to initiate “Call of the Mists” (on a huge cooldown and maybe some token requirements) – A message that pops up for all players on the server, that invites them to be teleported to BL or EB, and if player agrees, gives a buff similar to Volunteer’s Blessing.

Agree on all except #2 similar to above poster.

In regards to #5, before megaservers this was almost a non-issue. You could just have someone pop out of WvW into a city and send the call out. Considering how often this happened pre-megaserver I don’t think whoever pushed through megaservers considered how they’d affect WvW.

In short you are not the first to recommend this.

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

In regards to #5, before megaservers this was almost a non-issue. You could just have someone pop out of WvW into a city and send the call out. Considering how often this happened pre-megaserver I don’t think whoever pushed through megaservers considered how they’d affect WvW.

They did think about it.. but then when people raged about NOT wanting the Megaserver EotM wvw solution, it didn’t work as planned. The original mega server WvW plan was the color based EotM system.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

would be nice if at least they left at LA or cities as server based so there was some place for WVW players to interact with their server outside of WvW.

OT: Yea #2 is the only problem I see with what you proposed. PvE should be self sufficient and WvW should be self sufficient no need to torture either type of player by trying to force them to play something they dont enjoy to be able to play what they do enjoy.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

They did think about it.. but then when people raged about NOT wanting the Megaserver EotM wvw solution, it didn’t work as planned. The original mega server WvW plan was the color based EotM system.

Lol, I also remember that people didn’t have names in EOTM when it was first released and it was so confusing. It was just player ranks, even for those on your own team.

In regards to #5, before megaservers this was almost a non-issue. You could just have someone pop out of WvW into a city and send the call out.

God I miss those days so much. I remember how many times I’d see a call for help in LA and I’d be like “will be there ASAP! Hold them as best you can!”

As someone who has been doing almost exclusively WvW for the last 2+ years, the times have changed… The times have indeed changed.

Argh, the nostalgia is killing me, guys.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

I……I agree with you PVER.

He is the chosen one!

in WvW

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

That would cause a few problems:
People who don’t WvW would suffer over a part of the game they aren’t interested in.
You need to queue to enter WvW some times. Say your server is doing badly, what happens if a huge group of people who don’t do WvW very often decide to enter the mist and try to fix things. Meanwhile the players that could make a difference are stuck queing to get in.
So it would force people who only want to PvE into WvW and put the server on a downward spiral.
Also the price of something on the Trading Post isn’t decided by Anet, it’s the players buying and selling. For example Radiant Turai Ossa is 37g 98s 97c to buy somebody got it, it’s higher than any placed order but it is the lowest price they are willing to part with it for. Not so long ago it was 60g. It was the player selling it at the time, they chose to sell for that price.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

Ya ur ideas are good, I would support them. I think its a case where any vision that includes drastic change that focuses on building specific things within the gamemode, mainly introducing wargaming mechanics, into wvsw is gonna be a desired change.

I mean like taking wvsw and making the map mimick a basic moba type game would be awesome…just cause it has various specific goals and each small victory leads somewhere forward towards an even greater victory. Taking an enemy crux would be huge…..taking their keep atm tho is just not at all huge. The guild upgrades they have on it and the number of players defending it are the only things ‘making’ it a somewhat big deal at times…..ya, guild upgrades are doing something awesome for the mode go figure.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

(edited by Cerby.1069)

in WvW

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Sounds like I would instantly transfer to the stack server and then not give a kitten anymore just like now.

in WvW

Posted by: shrek.1046

shrek.1046

1. WvW should’ve been main endgame and most lucrative way to spend time in game.
3. Claiming an objective for a guild should be a HUGE deal for all of its members.
4. Staying inside and defending a claimed objective should give rewards with very high gold/hour rate.

Love your 5th suggestion especially but all your points are good.

On point 1 I think this was how the original designers envisioned the game but things changed after launch when PvE proved so popular and also when WvW was allowed to stagnate. Also the poor design choices for WvW hampered the mode severely (server based system rather than faction; no squad UI; free transfers etc etc)

in WvW

Posted by: mbhalo.1547

mbhalo.1547

People who don’t WvW would suffer over a part of the game they aren’t interested in.

Thats the part of the problem, i think – separation of the game modes. In the minds of the players they are completely different entities.

You need to queue to enter WvW some times. Say your server is doing badly, what happens if a huge group of people who don’t do WvW very often decide to enter the mist and try to fix things. Meanwhile the players that could make a difference are stuck queing to get in. So it would force people who only want to PvE into WvW and put the server on a downward spiral.

Maybe a system that places players in different spots in queue based on wvw rank?

Also the price of something on the Trading Post isn’t decided by Anet, it’s the players buying and selling. For example Radiant Turai Ossa is 37g 98s 97c to buy somebody got it, it’s higher than any placed order but it is the lowest price they are willing to part with it for. Not so long ago it was 60g. It was the player selling it at the time, they chose to sell for that price.

I’m talking about – Listing Fee (5%), Exchange Fee (10%)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Point 2 is common in traditional game but as you can already see, players don’t like to be faulted for something they are not actively involved with, even if they are part of the system.

To me, everything you asked are acceptable.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Point 2 is common in traditional game but as you can already see, players don’t like to be faulted for something they are not actively involved with, even if they are part of the system.

To me, everything you asked are acceptable.

It’s acceptable if the game is promoted as a primarily RvR game with some side pve just for leveling. It’s beyond unnacceptable in GW2 where WvW is a small niche game mode most ppl don’t even like.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

mbhalo.1547, about your number 2, there are already a few boosts on taking towers and castles, your stats increase, while low numbers side gets a drop rate boon, they removed it from affecting pve if i recall.

But about the other pioints i completelly agree.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

1. If WvW offered the best gold/hour ratio, all those farmer-gathering type players would abandon PvE. WvW would turn into EotM or worse.
  2. There would be no PvE after the first point.
  3. If claiming an objective was a huge thing, then the opposite would be true as well. For example not being able to claim garrison could lead to sitting out until the keep was available to re-capture.
  4. Staying inside an objective is not very exciting, is it? Why make WvW boring when we already have PvE and sPvP?
  5. Players would find such messages disruptive. I, for one, would hate if I was ever called to teleport to PvE.
Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

Players would find such messages disruptive. I, for one, would hate if I was ever called to teleport to PvE.

Isn’t it teleported from PVE to WvW?
I have to say I agree with that it would be disruptive. I getting invited to a squad over and over(was in a WvW guild at one point.) When I was clearly doing something else. Once was queing for PvP, the other time was doing Tequatl.
On the guild panel he could clearly see I was in HotM and then Sparkfly Fen during Teq spawn time. Even said “Doing Teq justnow, will join after.” He wrote back, “We need you now.”

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Players would find such messages disruptive. I, for one, would hate if I was ever called to teleport to PvE.

Isn’t it teleported from PVE to WvW?
I have to say I agree with that it would be disruptive. I getting invited to a squad over and over(was in a WvW guild at one point.) When I was clearly doing something else. Once was queing for PvP, the other time was doing Tequatl.
On the guild panel he could clearly see I was in HotM and then Sparkfly Fen during Teq spawn time. Even said “Doing Teq justnow, will join after.” He wrote back, “We need you now.”

Yes. Teleport to WvW was the OP’s suggestion. But since I only play WvW, I started thinking how I would feel about being told to teleport into some other game mode.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

It’s acceptable if the game is promoted as a primarily RvR game with some side pve just for leveling. It’s beyond unnacceptable in GW2 where WvW is a small niche game mode most ppl don’t even like.

Agreed with this. Would need to have been the plan from the start, with a different structure.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

God I miss those days so much. I remember how many times I’d see a call for help in LA and I’d be like “will be there ASAP! Hold them as best you can!”

As someone who has been doing almost exclusively WvW for the last 2+ years, the times have changed… The times have indeed changed.

Argh, the nostalgia is killing me, guys.

Let’s add to this that Anet destroyed LA for what, 16 months? Yes, we used to go into LA and try to recruit people to give WvW a try. I miss those days like you….

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Letting players on a server know that a WP’d keep has been breached and a lucrative award is offered for attack/defense could revitalize some of WvW. The broadcast message would need to be accessible and unobtrusive. There would need to be some rules as to the frequency of these rewards but it could be a great system.

1. If WvW offered the best gold/hour ratio, all those farmer-gathering type players would abandon PvE. WvW would turn into EotM or worse.

Not if those lucrative rewards were centered around fighting other players. The problem with EotM and even WvW is that flipping generates the most reward.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Agreed with this. Would need to have been the plan from the start, with a different structure.

I have to agree with all of this, as well. The OP has some great suggestions, but GW2 was created as a PvE game with PvP. WvW was created just as some sort of side niche mode. The first few years of almost no communication from the devs on wvw shows what sort of small niche game mode they considered it.

The OP’s suggestions would be great for a game that had been developed with WvW intended as the end game, but in a game like GW2, where it is just an afterthought, the OP’s ideas would probably just cause more chaos, rather than actually improving it.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Love all of these ideas. Have proposed #2 myself… There used to be a buff like this, but I wanted to see something more impactful/noticeable when it’s NOT there.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Love all of these ideas. Have proposed #2 myself… There used to be a buff like this, but I wanted to see something more impactful/noticeable when it’s NOT there.

Don’t get me wrong, as I really like most of the OP’s post. I think they’re great ideas…..for a game that had wvw in mind from the very start. It’s obvious that GW2 didn’t, due to the fact that they only recently starting showing any sort of interest in improving wvw.
While I think that some of the ideas might work in this game……I just don’t think that Anet really has a clear direction yet of where they want to go with wvw, since it was just an afterthought when the game started, and for at least a good 2 years beyond that.

But hey, if there was a possibility that they might work to improve this game mode , I would be all for it……what the heck!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

While I think that some of the ideas might work in this game……I just don’t think that Anet really has a clear direction yet of where they want to go with wvw, since it was just an afterthought when the game started, and for at least a good 2 years beyond that.

IMHO, WvW was designed originally to server as little more than a lobby to the revenue-generating PvP. That’s why it has always been neglected.

The fact that it turned out to be a significant feature of the game that many dedicated hard-core players enjoy, above all others, is something that Anet still cannot accept. The fact that is serves, in many ways, as a glue that binds many players across multiple guilds together is another thing that Anet still does not get.

They need to find a way to make money off of it. Then they might throw some man-hours at it. In the early days of the game, I gladly spent money on the game to “support” WvW. Needless to say, it’s been awhile since I’ve used money to purchase anything….

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

1. WvW is made up of all types, casual to serious…solo roamer, dual roamer, small squad, havoc, zerg to blob, PPK to PPT. Which one would you make the most lucrative?
2. Instead of punishing non playing PvE players, WvW players should get extra rewards instead as an incentive for PvE players to WANT to join in WvW. Rewards should be given for activity, not AFK.
3-4. The only issue I have with this is that there is usually conflicts in WvW between PPK and PPT. Now you can add PvE guilds claiming and holding a tower and doing NOTHING else just to get rewards. Kill trading has already happened in OS where players just wanted a title.
5. How about everyone leaves the map except the commander, then the commander pops the “Call of the Mists” and the map blob rejoins the commander, all having the buff. Yeah, not going to happen. After megaservers, Anet should have had a server tab or converted team chat to server chat. That would have done more for WvW recruiting and PvE callouts for help.

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Now I want to stand in Lion’s Arch yelling in map chat, “They’re 2v1ing our Garri! Come help!”

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

Now I want to stand in Lion’s Arch yelling in map chat, “They’re 2v1ing our Garri! Come help!”

The fastest way to Que a map is to have an Anet dev on the opposing team and go to both LA and EotM and say " Anet is attacking <server>! Come spike a dev!!" and maps will Queue really fast. You can still go to LA and EotM and yell that.. though it is not limited to your server, you still have a good deal of players from your server in LA and EotM.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Blanche Neige.7241

Blanche Neige.7241

1. 2. WvW and PVE should be tightly connected. For example if situation on BLs and EB is bad for your server, you get major debuff in PvE like penalties to gold gain, magic find, higher WP costs, higher TP fees etc.

Then it should works both ways.

For example, if your server fail a PVE event or if a PVE boss is left alive for too long, you get major debuff in WvW like penalities to damage dealt to enemies and ennemies’ structures, reduced drop from enemies slain, blocked waypoints, slower yaks, etc.

in WvW

lil devils x.6071

1. 2. WvW and PVE should be tightly connected. For example if situation on BLs and EB is bad for your server, you get major debuff in PvE like penalties to gold gain, magic find, higher WP costs, higher TP fees etc.

Then it should works both ways.

For example, if your server fail a PVE event or if a PVE boss is left alive for too long, you get major debuff in WvW like penalities to damage dealt to enemies and ennemies’ structures, reduced drop from enemies slain, blocked waypoints, slower yaks, etc.

Yea.. see why I think people should just be able to play the game mode they enjoy? See.. I only like Fighting Players, I hate NPC’s being in the game and would prefer the game only be filled with players instead. So if I Were to vote on PvE stuff, I would say they should remove all the NPCs from the game an d have players fight each other instead. Not sure that would go over so well if they made PvE so I would enjoy it.. but then again that would not be PvE anymore, it would be PvP.

WvW / PVP ONLY