Culling Poll: 1327 votes 23% Better 64% Worse

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

Was roaming the other night, no big groups around, nothing in view, then pop, two people show up right in front of me. Two people. Ten years ago DAoC had fights with a couple hundred people there at once. Today, GW2 can’t handle showing two people before they’re almost on top of you. I don’t know what went wrong with this game, but it’s pretty impressively bad.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

Worse. Like above poster the game now seems to cull even small groups for me. And my pc isnt exactly a coffee machine.

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

in WvW

Posted by: Rhayn.9452

Rhayn.9452

I’ve spewed my part of culling whine in this thread, but in all fairness I thought I would mention that at times the new system actually have been decent for me. When running guild group and fighting large amounts of enemies, it seems to be working ok’ish.

Stopped trying to solo/small man though. Usually that’d be how I’d start the day. Couple of solo/duo runs in the afternoon until GG materializes. Often times I had some of my best WvW experiences like this. No more. It’s simply impossible to gauge numbers in the current state of things, and very frustrating to find the duo you engaged actually was a 10 man warband.

in WvW

Posted by: Docherty.8372

Docherty.8372

Yeah, I been running around in the middle of nowhere and not seeing people I had every right to see till they’re right on top of me.

Better? Worse? I don’t know, it’s discouraging and pretty much laughable either way. Sick of it, sick of zergs and stealthers abusing it.

Count me as worse, ‘cause it sure ain’t any better.

in WvW

Posted by: Ralloff.7359

Ralloff.7359

Worse. And worse isn’t the only word in this reply because I need 15 apparently.

/Surprised/Surprised/Surprised/Surprised
Leader of the 3 man Pop Up Pirates(POMF)
Pretty OK Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: Jado Cast.1805

Jado Cast.1805

Much Worse. I was completely alone the other day outside out keep in EB, and the enemy sentry guard didn’t appear in front of me for more than 2 seconds. The sentry guard folks! C’mon Man!

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Unfortunately, while these votes show the feelings of the community, only one vote matters and that is from ANET. In December they tested this culling method and it failed and had to be reverted. Not sure exactly why they rolled it out a second time.

in WvW

Posted by: Ariel Cor Leonis Inferi.2894

Ariel Cor Leonis Inferi.2894

There’s also a delay on the weapon skills.

Ded gaem

in WvW

Posted by: Qid.1937

Qid.1937

Anyone who votes worse shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

BG Mrplow – Highly rated since 1987.

in WvW

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Worse. So much worse. I can see some people, then I take a few steps away and they become invisible. Highly annoying.

Why not just give us a slider! My computer can handle a lot of people on the screen and on a far distance, so let me have the option to see people around me. And if someone has a computer that cannot, give them the option with a slider to reduce the distance.

in WvW

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

Anyone who votes worse shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

People who say things like that shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

in WvW

Posted by: Oozo.7856

Oozo.7856

Better 23%
Worse 64%

[Anonymous Defender] on Youtube
Solo & Roaming Group WvW Movies

in WvW

Posted by: Mance.5640

Mance.5640

It’s a joke at the moment, for sure.

Mance Khan – Shadow Gypsies – Jade Quarry
“a friend of death, a brother of luck, and a s.o.b.”
http://youtu.be/wpoQk2OnbJs [SG since ’99]

in WvW

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

far far worse. giving stealthers a huge advantage.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Interesting thing happened to me. I got a better video card – and culling got worse! So I wonder if it varys by video card and driver, etc.?

in WvW

Posted by: Christos de Soufre.3802

Christos de Soufre.3802

I’ve noticed no real difference aside from the ratio of baddies to allies once I’ve rendered to my cap, which is usually only during 3-sided fights.

Chris “Dawnheart” Aerinoh — Revenant, Guardian — Blackgate

in WvW

Posted by: nekos.2584

nekos.2584

I don’t seem to have the same problems with culling that most people do but i still do have problems with culling. So i guess i have to vote same.

Anyway, it’s sad when in 2013 a game can not have 100 + people on the screen with out lag or in this case culling issues. I played a game called Legends of Kesmai in the late 90’s on a computer with an onboard graphics, 8 MB… yes 8MB of ram and a dial up connection. Every once in a while we would get a few hundred people together to go kill one of the dragons in the game, with out lag or culling issues.

Anet should be highly embarrassed but i would imagine they are to busy counting their money for that.

in WvW

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Sorry, it is not about WvW, but I don’t know where to post..

Just visited a grenth event after they finished him and there were 25 seconds left for the following event to protect Jonez.. however, as I went there I was able to see one group of foes at the stairs (they spawned at the waypoint), but as soon as I entered the hall, I couldn’t see anything (-> foes, players). (Never had it that bad^^)
All players that were supposed to be there and the rest of the enemies, they were killing, were invisible.
But I could see all animations and effects -.-
After they finished the event, it took some time until I could see again.

<10 people seems to be fine, but with >10 people it doesn’t make any sense to play.

Lag isn’t really a problem.

(edited by Navi.7142)

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Worse for both WvWvW and pve. Please revert back to original culling as soon as possible.

I stopped playing WvWvW, because the culling just sucks so bad. I usually run alone, not in any team. First I see one 1 enemy and maybe 2. So I get tiny bit closer. Two seconds later a 20 man enemy zerg has overrun me and I am dying. It is not fun if you cannot see the enemy until it is close! The new culling clearly favors big zergs over solo roamers. I have tested it several times using a cheap trolling technique (sorry enemies ). I find a zerg on my side and then depart my zerg. I see 1-3 invaders. I attack them from 1500 range and then let them attack me back. I quickly run back towards my own zerg. Then I can see experience points flashing on my screen as my zerg overran them (so they probably didn’t see the zerg from my side). This is extremely stupid though.

Big zergs should NOT be able to roam stealth free. Come on, they make louder sounds than a herd of elephants. Anet, if you are not going to fix the culling, give us at least a clear audio visual indicator “enemy zerg nearby”. All these skill “balancing” stuff and culling “improvements” you do is just making zergs even more powerful. Also remove the 5 enemy target limit from AoE attacks, but keep the 5 target limit for own team buffs, so zerg balls cannot area heal and buff everybody too easily.

Because the outmanned buff is bugged (if you die outmanned disappears!) and absolutely useless, better tactics, luring enemy into a choke point and AoE is the only simple counter towards a much larger enemy zerg.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

We had been AoEing “empty spaces” of where we “think” the enemies are nowadays. If we do not guess, we would be dead before the culling ends.

Often times the only way to tell an incoming enemy zerg ball is from the lag. When the game starts lagging you know the enemies are nearby.

If the devs don’t believe me, I encourage them to join any T1 or T2 server, and try to face an enemy tight zerg ball.

Please bring back body blocking from GW1 and prevent character overlapping.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

in WvW

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

It is saddening that this is the current state of WvW.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2

in WvW

Posted by: Dalure.4691

Dalure.4691

I am so curious what they will do in march;)
fingers crossed.

/Salute

WvW Commander of Piken Square
Guild: ForsakenGamers (FG)

in WvW

Posted by: Winterfell.5067

Winterfell.5067

I am so curious what they will do in march;)
fingers crossed.

/Salute

my guess, they just say “we didnt test enough, wait till may”

in WvW

Posted by: Jae.9682

Jae.9682

Btw, AMD has released a beta driver that improves gw2 performance. It also broke ffsplit and bandicam so I’m back to fraps (grrr, need more hd space).

I’ve found the new culling better than the old. The only problem is when my guild is running tagless and we get more than 20 allies around our commander is extremely hard to follow unless he is in party.

As far as skill lag is concerned, it has always been there. However, I think the meta in t1/t2 has shifted towards “scooping.” Commanders will watch the map for one team to attack anothers keep/tower and then go crash the party. 3 way fights of 40+ teams will always lead to skill lag.

As far as people comparing old games and numbers of people on screen to this game. The amount of calculations that their servers need to make due to abilities, combo fields and 3 “factions” far exceed anything in any other game previous, imho. Dealing with combo fields can only be especially taxing on their servers when having 120+ players in a close battle.

I’m still hoping that they remove culling from wvw completely, sooner rather than later, but this new system is better than the old once you get used to it and understand how its working.

Jae Sun, Jae of Arc, Jae Kal, Jae Khan, Jae Barka, Jae Hemingway
Original Member of Blackgate.
Member of HB.

(edited by Jae.9682)

in WvW

Posted by: Erro.2784

Erro.2784

Absolutely terrible patch for wvw. The culling didn’t work when we tried it out months ago and it doesn’t work now.

Bring back the old culling Anet or accept the slow death and decline of the wvw community.

[VII] – Aurora Glade
VII youtube channel
Erro youtube channel

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Btw, AMD has released a beta driver that improves gw2 performance. It also broke ffsplit and bandicam so I’m back to fraps (grrr, need more hd space).

I’ve found the new culling better than the old. The only problem is when my guild is running tagless and we get more than 20 allies around our commander is extremely hard to follow unless he is in party.

As far as skill lag is concerned, it has always been there. However, I think the meta in t1/t2 has shifted towards “scooping.” Commanders will watch the map for one team to attack anothers keep/tower and then go crash the party. 3 way fights of 40+ teams will always lead to skill lag.

As far as people comparing old games and numbers of people on screen to this game. The amount of calculations that their servers need to make due to abilities, combo fields and 3 “factions” far exceed anything in any other game previous, imho. Dealing with combo fields can only be especially taxing on their servers when having 120+ players in a close battle.

I’m still hoping that they remove culling from wvw completely, sooner rather than later, but this new system is better than the old once you get used to it and understand how its working.

Yes the Catalyst 13.2 beta. I will give that a try tonight.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Intigo.1653

Intigo.1653

It breaks Dxtory for me too and gives me a few random crashes, but other than that it had improved FPS.

80 Asura Elementalist – [Red Guard]
http://www.youtube.com/user/IntigoGW2