DELETE 50% OF SERVERS TO SAVE WVW

in WvW

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

pairing is NOT working and I have been warning about this for a long time.

We don’t need pairing servers we need LESSS servers. Then offer free xfers to the people who are on the less pop servers to the other servers until they are full.

Currently Desolation the strongest in t1 and ranked 1st have been paired with another server Ruins of Surmia while the other 2 servers they’re against have been paired with no one? This is balance? Ofcourse des are already winning now by 10k and will win the match by at LEAST 100k by the end of the week.

Then look at Abaddon’s Mouth already high pop server and strongest in their tier and they are also the ONLY ones in their tier so get a pairing with another server Miller’s Sound and already at 30k to AR’s 15k.. It’s basically now impossible for them to lose this week.

This IS not balance anet. STOP dragging your feet on this its already been 4years and admit there is too many servers and HALF need to be deleted then and ONLY then can we start trying to get REAL balance to wvw.

Forcing servers together like this is completey counter productive. We need less servers more people shared equally on the remaining servers and more server pride back to this gamemode.

Server pair is a fail. Your polls are not asking the right questions. Instead of asking how often pairing/resets should happen ask if pairing should happen at all vs deleting bottom tier servers and bring people together on ONE real server.

We are a few hours into this weeks matchup and I could already tell you who is going to win each tier. This beta test of pairing should be cancelled it failed…

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

All the people on the “to-be-deleted” servers will rage if Anet ever decide to do that. This already been discussed in the past and it’s not a option unless they want to lose a good chunk of the people who still bother to play this broken game mode.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Removing servers does not fix the problem of people bandwagonning between servers. It just reduces the number they can go to.

I also disagree with your premise that pairing has failed.

SBI

in WvW

clone wars.9568

All the people on the “to-be-deleted” servers will rage if Anet ever decide to do that. This already been discussed in the past and it’s not a option unless they want to lose a good chunk of the people who still bother to play this broken game mode.

You’re from DH who are currently in 12th place, So would be on the to-delete list. So you defending the current failed system is simply because YOU don’t want your server deleted. At least speak your own mind and say where your argument is coming from.

If you have server-pride then that’s a good thing but at least be up-front with your comment. And yes I agree SOME people like being on bottom tier servers and don’t want then getting to high pop status, however to save the game-mode something needs to be done. And this is in my mind a solution to the balance issues that the pairing is not.

They would be given free xfers to the other servers so it wouldn’t cost them gold/gems. It may split them from some friends on other servers, but I don’t think that outweighs the massive issue wvw has had since the start with balance.

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

well it hasn’t improved the game mode as far as i can see

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

You’re from DH who are currently in 12th place, So would be on the to-delete list. So you defending the current failed system is simply because YOU don’t want your server deleted. At least speak your own mind and say where your argument is coming from.

If you have server-pride then that’s a good thing but at least be up-front with your comment. And yes I agree SOME people like being on bottom tier servers and don’t want then getting to high pop status, however to save the game-mode something needs to be done. And this is in my mind a solution to the balance issues that the pairing is not.

They would be given free xfers to the other servers so it wouldn’t cost them gold/gems. It may split them from some friends on other servers, but I don’t think that outweighs the massive issue wvw has had since the start with balance.

Honestly idc if my server get deleted or not, my server loyality died 2 years ago when I left Eredon Terrace. But I know quite a lot of people who do care and will likely just stop playing WvW or maybe GW2 at all if their server community gets destroyed.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

well it hasn’t improved the game mode as far as i can see

Well, it’s been more lively, altho i supose some people prefered empty borderlands over the current state. I liking better this way tho.

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Removing servers does not fix the problem of people bandwagonning between servers. It just reduces the number they can go to.

Pretty much this. Server stacking is a people issue. Granted, it is abetted by the mode’s design philosophy, but stopping it would involve removing key elements of that philosophy, like:

• Drop-in game play
  • 24/7 availability
  • Massive battles (maybe)
  • Transfers (put in to help players to play with friends/guild members)

Don’t get me wrong, I dislike mismatches as much as the next person, regardless of whether I’m on the big or small side. However, fixing this issue is not going to happen without ANet taking away convenience and accessibility.

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

I mean, I’m with Jeknar in that I’m pretty much ok with whatever at this point.

Deleting the bottom servers is one way to go, but so is deleting the top and enforcing hard caps on server pop when it comes to transfers.

I’ve not once heard anyone from the top suggest deleting their servers…

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Your suggestion which is similar to merger and world linking will not solve the issue in long term. Reason being, population will go unbalanced in long term.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

This game mode is never going to get any better and no matter how much they change things up, delete/merge servers, your always going to end up with stale match up’s.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Deleting the bottom servers is one way to go, but so is deleting the top and enforcing hard caps on server pop when it comes to transfers.

This is a good idea! Since most of the people on the top servers went there from elsewhere anyway, and thus have little-to-no server loyalty (a bit of a stretch, but I’ll go with it), why not just delete these servers and give the players free transfers to servers with faithful stalwarts on them?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

clone wars.9568

Your suggestion which is similar to merger and world linking will not solve the issue in long term. Reason being, population will go unbalanced in long term.

No it’s not the same thing as a merger/current failed system. halving the servers WILL have more of a balancing effect on wvw vs what we have now.

Currently we are stuck with a system that has had the opposite effect to what anet intended (balancing the matches). We are seeing in EU and NA top servers in their tiers being paired with other servers when they were clearly holding their own as it was. Now they are all impossible to beat due to their numbers and coverage.

Instead scrapping half the servers (all bottom servers from each tier) and giving free xfers to those people to move over to other servers is completely different.

It will be more balanced that way. The other thing to consider is the current pairing do little to bring server pride. Lack voice coms with the other paired servers/allies and basically makes servers even more disorganized than they were to begin with.

SO having less servers means.

1. More balance to the wvw population.
2. No more failed glit match-ups/pairings.
3. Servers get their pride back or build it up on their new servers. Get to know each other better and commanders & guilds about to work together better. Vs being temp allies who can’t be bothered to work together since the pairing isn’t for long.
4. Voice comms can be perma setup for people joining the new servers (more organized).
5. And less servers = less chance people are going to bandwagon.

And yes there will NEVER be a perfect balance in wvw I agree, its impossible with the 24/7 game-mode. However it still can be GREATLY improved compared to this current failed and cheap (for anet) way to “fix” balancing issues. And this current system is not a long term OR short term fix, take a look at the match-up boards and see.

in WvW

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Actually the utter blow out match ups have been much more rare after Arenanet introduced pairing. In other words match ups are much more balanced nowadays!

Yes, Desolation + RoS is often winning by 100k, but that is nothing compared to past when I remember 250k+ or even 300k+ leads. The latter is a blow out!

For your information even though Desolation is paired, it can at best fill 1 map out of 4. I would hardly call it “full”, because I remember also those times in WvWvW (2012-2013) when all the 4 maps had a queue in EU tier 1. Those times when maps were truly full are already long gone.

Desolation is winning because we have the best off-time coverage in EU. The off time coverage is up to just 20-50 players and note all those players play every night or morning. If these off-prime time players would move to some other other it would become EU rank #1 when it comes to points and Desolation would probably drop to silver league.

NUKE guild from Desolation moved to Piken Square and their Point per Tick (PpT) style earns Piken EU rank #2. So shifts in ranking can be affected quite a lot by one guild full of PpT die hards and doing lots of off-time capturing.

Bandwagoning and guild transfers are going to happen even if you delete half of the servers. In fact the situation would probably just become worse as even more players would flock to just 1 server, which would then suffer from having long queues.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

If you really want balance in wvw tiers, the devs will have to act as arbiters. They will have to distribute population as evenly as possible and then lock server transfers from now on. Have a feeling that would cause a bit of backlash, not to mention a skill gap between players on opposing servers that can’t be accurately measured…

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I will always transfer to the server with the best coverage and the highest chance of large blob fights.
I cant imagine anything more boring in WvW than empty small servers, so I agree with deleting all bronze league servers.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

People will always dodge when you mention deleting their precious T1 server. No point going over that…

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

It’s pretty simple, you can have a WvW mode that is based on servers or you can have one that isn’t, but has some degree of balance in matchups, you can’t have both, that people still haven’t worked you will never get anything even vaguely balanced based on servers is well…

(edited by zinkz.7045)

in WvW

Posted by: Choppy.4183

Choppy.4183

People will always dodge when you mention deleting their precious T1 server. No point going over that…

It’s more of an observation than anything. As you mentioned, people were calling for deleting lower tier servers or merging them into higher tier as early as (I think) about two years ago, but it’s almost always been people in the higher tiers calling for it.

Seems to me if they’re really just interested in evening out the populations to improve the overall state of the game, rather than grinding up other peoples’ servers to serve their own interests, they’d volunteer to grind up their own bloated servers instead.

I’m personally not fussed either way though. Ehmry’s server identity has largely collapsed through the linkings and general fatigue, and I’ve not paid much attention to score for months. I do have fun solo roaming with impunity though.

I’m Biff Rangoon, and I approved this message.
Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck (ICEE)

in WvW

Posted by: Zenral.3958

Zenral.3958

At least in the EU servers what needs to be addressed here are bandwagoners, they do not solely migrate from one server to the next in large numbers but imbalance and have even at times reached the point where established server communities are completely ruined.

Bandwagoners have been killing this game for years now but Anet more than likely needs them for the $$$

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

No it’s not the same thing as a merger/current failed system. halving the servers WILL have more of a balancing effect on wvw vs what we have now.

Currently we are stuck with a system that has had the opposite effect to what anet intended (balancing the matches). We are seeing in EU and NA top servers in their tiers being paired with other servers when they were clearly holding their own as it was. Now they are all impossible to beat due to their numbers and coverage.

Instead scrapping half the servers (all bottom servers from each tier) and giving free xfers to those people to move over to other servers is completely different.

It will be more balanced that way. The other thing to consider is the current pairing do little to bring server pride. Lack voice coms with the other paired servers/allies and basically makes servers even more disorganized than they were to begin with.

SO having less servers means.

1. More balance to the wvw population.
2. No more failed glit match-ups/pairings.
3. Servers get their pride back or build it up on their new servers. Get to know each other better and commanders & guilds about to work together better. Vs being temp allies who can’t be bothered to work together since the pairing isn’t for long.
4. Voice comms can be perma setup for people joining the new servers (more organized).
5. And less servers = less chance people are going to bandwagon.

And yes there will NEVER be a perfect balance in wvw I agree, its impossible with the 24/7 game-mode. However it still can be GREATLY improved compared to this current failed and cheap (for anet) way to “fix” balancing issues. And this current system is not a long term OR short term fix, take a look at the match-up boards and see.

Scrapping half the servers will only achieve a sub-standard balancing. Reason being, the half the servers weren’t the reason why wvw is unbalanced. The main reason why wvw is unbalanced because servers are stacked in a way that balancing is not possible without drastic measure. Instead of a sub-standard approach like removing half the servers, it is way better to remove all servers and remake the servers to force reallocation of players while having certain server status rules in place, to achieve a closer balancing.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Skycaller.6354

Skycaller.6354

You need to go by WvW population not Server population!!! its not right that every time i go into WvW i’m out numbered but our server was full for a long time. I have noticed that Anet has peeps on other servers but not on ours. I’m from Darkhaven come see how you broke us.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

The only thing causing any issues is the odd imbalance where one servr rolls the others, thus making the 2 getting rolled basically kitten off to go elsewhere – demoralized. None of you are worthy of 300 (but I was there long ago, a poor NA sap fighting an insurmountable OCX crew) I know how it feels, and its ike a slow death you just don’t want to partake in.

Anet does use WvW population, they changed from overall server pop quite a while back. But there calcs are not entirely accurate.

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

Servers are bad. The way they control population is bad. I tried EU thinking the posts about not stacking were true. It’s worse than NA. Counting the days till I can transfer back.

JQ subsidiary

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Raise the cost to transfer to $50. Cap servers. Stick to it.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

I will always transfer to the server with the best coverage and the highest chance of large blob fights.
I cant imagine anything more boring in WvW than empty small servers, so I agree with deleting all bronze league servers.

Some of us have been saying that for a long, long time. I agree, get it over with already, let the dust settle. Linking isn’t solving much of anything.

The low-pop servers are never going to be satisfied until there is a forced redistribution of players into them. And if that time comes, I’m gone. It’s that simple. I chose the server I’m on, been on it for the better part of 3 years, mostly tier 1. I shouldn’t be penalized (which is what this really is) for a handful of people screaming about night capping and stale matchups. T1 had a “stale” matchup for the better part of the year and we didn’t complain. Just saying.

And as far as the bandwagoning, we ALL know this is instigated by two guilds and others follow “the plan.”

As said a million times, close the low-pops and give them a 1x free transfer already. And nuke the linking.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

The WvW Ecosystem of Lower Tier Worlds are being force fed into the main tank in a feeding frenzy.

We’re going to end up with less Worlds for players to shuffle around on & after a few months the same population inbalance will reccur again…while overall population levels will continue to decline as the number of servers able to provide Diverse Long Term Communities are reduced.

Sadly…ANet will need to repeat this until there are only 3 Factions or World Servers left…then we’ll have nowhere to go…except to nuke & play musical chairs.

Here’s why…

Yours truly,
Diku

Possible Better Long Term Solution – Google Search – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)

in WvW

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

There are 2 major issues with going the “just close some servers” route.

1. This “population problem” is only a wvw problem.

2. It creates the public perception that the entire game is dying.

I personally feel that going a 3 sided route, when you zone into wvw, would look and be the best option. This keeps individual servers preserved for the rest of the game and allows the devs to use individual server linking to combat wvw population imbalances.

Another option would be to rebrand the game to 3 “faction” servers, but that is tricker to balance populations for wvw.

Edit- Just some thoughts and basic maths to think about…

In October of last year the monthly concurrency rates jumped to 3,000,000 players, and I’m assuming only US and EU were counted for that figure.

There are 51 servers combined from US and EU, so that would be roughly 59,000 players per server in the wonderful world of averages.

If you think about the above numbers and then look at the wvw population, you’ll see just how poor participation rates are for wvw as a whole… So the devs either need to condense populations in wvw only and/or put some major reward carrots on sticks like paths to legendary weapons, legendary armors, legendary trinkets, legendary runes and sigils and infusions… to make wvw extremely attractive to everyone and to keep them playing.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in WvW

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

There are 2 major issues with going the “just close some servers” route.

1. This “population problem” is only a wvw problem.

2. It creates the public perception that the entire game is dying.

I personally feel that going a 3 sided route, when you zone into wvw, would look and be the best option. This keeps individual servers preserved for the rest of the game and allows the devs to use individual server linking to combat wvw population imbalances.

Another option would be to rebrand the game to 3 “faction” servers, but that is tricker to balance populations for wvw.

Edit- Just some thoughts and basic maths to think about…

In October of last year the monthly concurrency rates jumped to 3,000,000 players, and I’m assuming only US and EU were counted for that figure.

There are 51 servers combined from US and EU, so that would be roughly 59,000 players per server in the wonderful world of averages.

If you think about the above numbers and then look at the wvw population, you’ll see just how poor participation rates are for wvw as a whole… So the devs either need to condense populations in wvw only and/or put some major reward carrots on sticks like paths to legendary weapons, legendary armors, legendary trinkets, legendary runes and sigils and infusions… to make wvw extremely attractive to everyone and to keep them playing.

once everyone has all their hero points wvw isnt needed anymore. just for pvp.
im bad at sarcasm

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

I really don’t get the viewpoint of the “factions” proponents. It will cause an exodus worse than DBL did. And at the end of the day, it would be almost the same thing as linking, with more chaos. If we wanted EotM-style play, I’m sure more of us would be there.

I’d like to see some actual numbers on the servers, just to see if there’s any justification whatsoever in keeping the low-pops open. There have already been a bunch of guilds from those servers that have transferred to their linked counterparts, so it might be time to re-evaluate closing the low-pop servers and get rid of the linkings once and for all.

The devs can’t please everyone, but it seemed, at first, linking was a good attempt. Now that it’s not, I’m seeing more and more people talk about “factions.”

NO THANKS.

People that chose upper tiers and solid communities shouldn’t be penalized, or shuffled, or have their glicko manipulated, or linked. Period.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!

in WvW

Posted by: FOKOZUYNEN.8206

FOKOZUYNEN.8206

a ideea will be to remove EotM …some thing that i liked to EotM was those Scorpions thas all.