[DISCUSSION] Catapult behind own Gates.

in WvW

Posted by: shindoras.3641

shindoras.3641

Hey folks,

since a while its practciced to place catapults behind the own Keep/Tower Gates and firering on them to disturb ppl on the outer side of the door from destroying it. I want to know how you feel about this way of using Catapults.
In my opinion it should be removed or changed cause it feels kinda odd to shoot at my own keepgate or getting disturbed by one doing so.

Suggestions

1. the own door takes damage, but this will surely invite griefers of destroying keep doors
2. the shot impact should just not pass through the closed door.

Tell me your opinion on this thing and make suggestions.

Shindoras

in WvW

Posted by: Xasapis.9237

Xasapis.9237

Then they’ll need to stop the attackers AoE damage from coming in too though, which is a way of preventing people from fixing the doors.

TBH on Gunnar’s Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I think the catapult behind a door of a tower/keep you own is fine.

If you can use something to attack, you should be able to use it to defend as well.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: Xandax.1753

Xandax.1753

As long as AOE goes through doors from either side; it’s a valid tactic. Bit cheesy, but valid.

in WvW

Posted by: TheReign.9740

TheReign.9740

Just set your rams at max distance and you’ll be fine. Also, players shouldn’t be meleeing the door anyways, there are much more advantageous things for them to be doing.

In my opinion, setting up a catapult on the inside of the keep/tower for the sole reason of hitting the back of the door is a waste of supply.

[TL] Team Legacy – Isle of Janthir
teamlegacy.net
isleofjanthir.net

(edited by TheReign.9740)

in WvW

Posted by: tjeb.6503

tjeb.6503

I’ve used the related ‘tactic’ of flamethrowing through the gate myself, but TBH I think that no damage should pass through a gate at all. Of course it need to go both ways (or well, it needs to not go both ways)

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Making the gate thick enough could be a cheap solution. The artists might have it difficult to make it look good – I don’t know.

Couple that with any player caught inside the gate (or wall for that matter) due repairing is relocated to friendly side of the gate.

Whats the radius of catapult hit anyway? Is there any larger area of effect?

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Scilly.9315

Scilly.9315

the most likely solution is to just put a invisble wall like the guardian skill that drops when the door “dies”….. I rekon that would fix it

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Catapults behind gates can already be countered without cheesy tactics. You can set the rams at their maximum distance of 360 units. Stability also prevents the knockback.

in WvW

Posted by: tjeb.6503

tjeb.6503

Stability can be hard to get.

May I ask how you determine the right distance, purely on sight or is there some ‘trick’ to it?

in WvW

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

No AoE DMG should pass gates or bridges. It is just stupied to stand on a bridge in Quentin and die without getting any visual effect. Also siege weapons being mostly used for defense is kind of strange.

Blub.

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

While I find it cheesy I don’t think it’s that big of an issue when every other AoE can as well. I would say that Siege should be friendly fire (As should all AoE) but I understand this is a themepark MMO and I can accept that many players just would never accept friendly fire.

Flame rams can avoid being hit if they are placed 360 units.
Players shouldn’t be swinging swords at doors, they should be protecting the flanks.

I don’t think it’s that big of an issue that it needs to be pushed up the priority list for ANet fixes. I do think the culling/rendering issue is way more important.

in WvW

Posted by: Konrad Curze.5130

Konrad Curze.5130

I dont mind catas behind own gates

what annoys me is siege weapons in spawn (invulnerable) spots, thats the kind of crap that ANet should have fixed 1 month ago.

in WvW

Posted by: Rezna.4057

Rezna.4057

Yup unless they make the gate impenetrable on both sides then I say the catapult is fair game. Also they can be fired about the door and over walls to stop siege being built, so they are not exclusively for stopping ram drops.

in WvW

Posted by: alanis.6094

alanis.6094

If you don’t have line of sight on the target, NO player or siege ability should do damage to the target. It is kind of laughable that there are people that would disagree with this.

Edit: this is discounting ‘arc’ type of abilities that are intended as such.

Drusilla Ina Alanis
<The Undead Lords>
Since 1994 – undeadlords.net

in WvW

Posted by: Tortun.5946

Tortun.5946

I think the catapult is fair especially since my fellow mesmers are timing blink or other abilities to get through the closed gates.

Tortun – Protector of Gandara and Bessie!
WvWvW Player Who Doesn’t Have Much of A Clue

in WvW

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Catapults are arc weapons. Only rams and ballistae are not firing in arcs. Besides, the majority of player projectiles are fired in arcs allowing you to shoot out of LoS with some skill (aim with mouse look).

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

The thing about the door cata’s is that they are easily countered or killed.

You do not have to attack a gate with rams, you can use cata’s or treb’s from a distance.

In many keeps / towers you can also take out the cata’s with siege.

A good example are orges / anzalins. If you build a balista outside orges on the orges you can kill any cata placed inside unless it is pretty much on top of the door, and if its on the door you can kill it with normal AoE.

For Anzalins you can arch your cata’s shot through the space above the door if you time it right hitting anything / everything inside, or you can build a treb on the cliffs and rain death from above.

Cata’s are not that bad, I actually think they make players try harder and play better. Without them zergs would just run through the keeps even faster.

in WvW

Posted by: draculthemad.6273

draculthemad.6273

Its usually entirely possible to hit that cat with your own by arcing it over the doors. It just takes good positioning and a slight amount of user skill.

in WvW

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I just feel like this is another cool way to try to get passed the other teams gate. I would say it’s a bug though.

in WvW

Posted by: shindoras.3641

shindoras.3641

The thing about the door cata’s is that they are easily countered or killed.

You do not have to attack a gate with rams, you can use cata’s or treb’s from a distance.

In many keeps / towers you can also take out the cata’s with siege.

A good example are orges / anzalins. If you build a balista outside orges on the orges you can kill any cata placed inside unless it is pretty much on top of the door, and if its on the door you can kill it with normal AoE.

For Anzalins you can arch your cata’s shot through the space above the door if you time it right hitting anything / everything inside, or you can build a treb on the cliffs and rain death from above.

Cata’s are not that bad, I actually think they make players try harder and play better. Without them zergs would just run through the keeps even faster.

There is one question bothering me. In Beta my guild startet to shoot a keep gate with a catapult, the wall besides the door collapsed way before the gate. Unless it is like in beta i cant understand why some ppl start fireing on keep gates, instead of keep walls, with trebuchets or catapults. Is there just some trick i dont see?

Shindoras

in WvW

Posted by: Karast.1927

Karast.1927

I didn’t advise hitting gates with cata’s to take them down. They are better used against walls.

But you can hit other cata’s by aiming your shoots in the gaps above some gates, to kill enemies / cata’s on the other side.

With siege it all comes down to placement and practice.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeheil.2516

Jeheil.2516

I agree its a bit naff. However as others have said (and myself too in suggestion threads) doors should block all damage going to the other side. Until then, I cant see another way.

I also thing the ramparts pose a disadvantage to the defender, castles werent built with magic in mind. Arrow carts, aoe users defending cannot get LoS without being insta-killed/near killed. Standing at the back of a rampart gives no LoS. There needs to be more advantage to being at height behind a wall !

Jeheil, IoJ, [uA] – Defender of Gazza’s watergate

in WvW

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

In my opinion it’s fair as long as all AOE in the game continues to work like it does.

The best solution would be to have AOE be affected by line of sight. So say, you throw AOE on the side of a wall without being able to see the top of the wall from your character’s position, should mean the AOE only hits the side.

Untill then, it remains a fair counter.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Give rams stability and reflect and maybe it will be ok.

As it stands, it makes rams kindof useless unless its pvdoor.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkkis.5137

Junkkis.5137

Just build trebuche or catabult to nuke gate/wall.