[DISCUSSION] why do player complain nightcap?

in WvW

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I still don’t understand what the issue is, maybe I’m just thick… my wife would definitely agree to that :P

Just so I understand I see 3 scenarios:

1- at peak times the servers can be full, lets say 500 × 500 × 500 on the map with lots of big battles which we all love;
2- at off peak times you could have 0-5 × 0-5 × 0-5 on the map (I get this a lot in my region); or
3- at off peak times you could have 0-5 × 0-5 × 50+ (I’ve never seen anything like this but I think this is what people are complaining about?)

I’m having trouble looking at which of the 3 sides has the advantage in scenario 1 and 2.

If scenario 3 happens then the 50+ server are not going to earn any loot or XP after 30 minutes when they’ve capped everything on the map so I don’t see why they’d stay to defend against 0-10 enemies. If there is a reason please let me know I am curious.

On a side note, I’ve seen people say there should be a minimum number of people on the map before you can play it, but if the map is closed how do you get to that minimum player count when no one can join. Do we join a queue for an unspecified time period until there’s at least 50 × 50 × 50? If this is the case do the sides need to be balanced or is 50 × 50 × 500 acceptable? To me that looks just like scenario 3 so you’ve gained nothing IMO. Like I said I’m a bit thick… XD

in WvW

Posted by: KaporHabakuk.6219

KaporHabakuk.6219

I still don’t understand what the issue is, maybe I’m just thick… my wife would definitely agree to that :P

1- at peak times the servers can be full, lets say 500 × 500 × 500 on the map with lots of big battles which we all love;
2- at off peak times you could have 0-5 × 0-5 × 0-5 on the map (I get this a lot in my region); or
3- at off peak times you could have 0-5 × 0-5 × 50+ (I’ve never seen anything like this but I think this is what people are complaining about?)

I’m having trouble looking at which of the 3 sides has the advantage in scenario 1 and 2.

If scenario 3 happens then the 50+ server are not going to earn any loot or XP after 30 minutes when they’ve capped everything on the map so I don’t see why they’d stay to defend against 0-10 enemies. If there is a reason please let me know I am curious.

On a side note, I’ve seen people say there should be a minimum number of people on the map before you can play it, but if the map is closed how do you get to that minimum player count when no one can join. Do we join a queue for an unspecified time period until there’s at least 50 × 50 × 50? If this is the case do the sides need to be balanced or is 50 × 50 × 500 acceptable? To me that looks just like scenario 3 so you’ve gained nothing IMO. Like I said I’m a bit thick… XD

Just read what ppl talk about,it aint loot or xp.All is about ppt,and match results with hard to recap stuff back after the nightcrew shift is done which has many side effects aswell.

OTAN guild,WSR server

in WvW

StormageddonBK.9842

Just read what ppl talk about,it aint loot or xp.All is about ppt,and match results with hard to recap stuff back after the nightcrew shift is done which has many side effects aswell.

OK, I really don’t give a rats about PPT, never have. I’m only here for the game play, if it’s fun I log on, if it isn’t I log off. It’s not as if we’re playing for sheep stations here is it?

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

The issue is that situation number 2 rarely happens that way. It happens closer to a 0-5 v 0-5 v 0-15. That 15 group can reset all the objectives they want without a defense mounted and flip the objectives. The map population will stay this way for several hours between primetime shifts allowing those objectives to rack up points and upgrades. This results in three huge negative effects
- The two servers A and B in your scenario face against a huge point deficit and fully upgraded targets during the primetime scenario (1). It becomes difficult to make up that deficit due to the actively defended objectives.
- The primetime players are only able to even the PPT due to the design of the maps with the three-way battle unless two of the servers have leadership contact each other outside the match. Players on Server A and B (who don’t have the night crew) give up hope of winning the match very quickly. This reduces overall competition during the week and leads to stagnant battlegrounds for the matchup.
- The players on server C during primetime notice and realize that they have no power over the outcome of the match. It’s only their “nightcrew” who determines the match. Trade night crew for “oceanic crew” or “europe presence” and you get the situation on many T3 through T6 servers. The server is literally carried by the players who don’t face huge opposition. Primetime players feel less motivated in that their contribution does not weigh into the outcome beyond “defending the land for the night crew”.

The servers giving up due to a match decided so early on is a big hit against the fun to be had in WvW and reduces the quality of the game mode. Lots of people say PPT doesn’t matter to them. But for a bigger set of people PPT does matter. It’s the reason to play the game mode. It would be like playing soccer without a scoreboard. Sure it’s fun for a little bit but there’s no competition so it just dies down to kicking a ball around. The competition drives the game. In WvW the PPT is intended to be this competition. The way it works now the match gets decided way too early and all but the players who enjoy kicking a ball around leave the field.

A solution has to come up where the PPT does not favor a server with an off-peak presence too significantly but rather favor times where servers are equally matched. This will keep the match closer and keep the competition running for the intended week rather than a single night out of that week. If the competition stays the game mode stays fun.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

I have to laugh at all this although I feel sad at both the current state of the game and the constant moaning about this issue (which is always one sided for some strange reason).

My server spent many many months being steam-rolled in NA T3 by the “drop down” server from tier 2 while four evenly matched servers tried to fit into three spaces. The only time we didn’t face an out-manned buff – at any time of day – was when we had a queue to get into the maps. Was it fun? Not really. Did I have a tantrum? No. Most people gritted their teeth and played on. For months. Some moved on to other servers. What happened is what happened.

So why is there this sense of outrage about any server having a numbers advantage at times of low population when it’s fine to have a bigger zerg or more dedicated WvW guilds and therefore a numbers advantage at any time?

Why should PPT favour times when the servers are equally matched? It never did in the past. The response always seems to be something about “It’s only the actions of a FEW players and that’s not fair because we can’t recover”. Tough. That’s how things are sometimes. I’ve been in enough battles now to know that sometimes the tide can be turned by the actions of a few players. How is this different?

WvW isn’t about having fair numbers or fair fights. It’s about doing the best you can with the team you have against two opposing servers. That may be in fights or it may be capping stuff, but the idea that somehow it must be fair is genuinely wrong… or are people going to tell me that actually the maps should limit the players to equal numbers on each side (even then you would have to take account of player ability somehow to make it really fair). Sound ridiculous? That’s because it is.

If you generate a scoring system that is completely fair then everyone will have the same score. How does that work out then?
Oh – we don’t want all servers to get the same score? Perhaps it should favour one server over another on numbers then? Or is it to be who can buy the most skilled guilds? Or who has players on and when they play? – errmmm…. did I miss something but isn’t that what we have at the moment?

in WvW

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

When every server has the same score the competition drags on to decide the winner. The possibility exists for any player at any time to decide the victory on the board.

When one team in football dominates another during a game the stadium is nearly empty by the 4th quarter. When two teams are within a touchdown or even field goal of each other everyone’s glued to their seats to see the final victor. The match may even go into overtime to decide a winner and the stadium is rocking. These games are called the good games. Games where the outcome is decided early are called boring.

The same thing happens in WvW with the only exception being that the all of the fans participate in the match. If a WvW match gets decided early it’s boring and not fun. If there’s a chance to sway the victory all throughout the week the fight lasts all week long. Everyone plays with the knowledge that their actions can decide the victory. A scoring system that keeps the scores near even will result in this type of match. The current PPT system will result in a match that’s decided early with the rare exception of servers who actually match each other’s coverage.

Little red Lioka

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

dont wanna offense any1 to start off with..
why i hate(d)( i quit so w/e) nightcapping etc..

well ill take current EU server list these 3 top servers are nowhere near top as in “skill” or in winning fights, but hey they never had to fight during prime time cus why should they? prime time is ~3/4 hours after that they will slowly recover and when its really dead they cap all and sit on PPT which they know that in no way a server relaying on primetime will never be able to over come them.. if primetime is let say max 5hours then the other 19hours the PPT server has free income.

then again i admit that im not much of a PPT and i couldnt give a rats kitten about capping stuff, what made me more bored is fact that PPT servers completely vanished during prime times, no resistance at all whatsoever and after prime time they all come out of there caves..

which is sad seeing that if Anet would have done it correct european servers have a max different time set of +2 or -2 hours..

portugal/england = +0gmt
greece +2gmt
rest is +1gmt

how can u not make a simple system that PPT stops at X time and starts at Y time in meanwhile only PPK would be on. then u would get servers more balanced and more intersting match up, i know for fact that my server doesnt even wanna go T1 even tho they can do it they dont want because they know they wont get any fights there..
so again how is T1 servers actually intersting if no1 is actually fighting there..

on the other hand i dont really care im long gone hoping for changes thus why i return to forum from time to time but as i can see WvW was bleeding a little when i still played but it seems like Anet has cut WvW wrist by now and dieing fast.

in WvW

Posted by: Haythere.7513

Haythere.7513

two words – self centered.

in WvW

Posted by: BlueBoy.1236

BlueBoy.1236

two words – self centered.

Can I kiss you?

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

If night capping is a problem, you should come to T1 where there is 24/7 action. All servers have EU/OCX/SEA guilds in eb.

t1 ppl complained about night capping as well

regardless, such issue isn’t possible to solve, it can only be minimized and accepted, live and let live

otherwise, companies can chose to act like sk companies, make players register using their social ID to limit their accounts and limit the timezone disparity

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Haythere.7513

If night capping is a problem, you should come to T1 where there is 24/7 action. All servers have EU/OCX/SEA guilds in eb.

t1 ppl complained about night capping as well

regardless, such issue isn’t possible to solve, it can only be minimized and accepted, live and let live

otherwise, companies can chose to act like sk companies, make players register using their social ID to limit their accounts and limit the timezone disparity

So, since I do shift work and live in the NA timezone I won’t be able to play…nice. The time zones represent the prime time for that timezone not when you have to play.

The term nightcapping is relative to who you are talking to.

I just wish the late NA group would stop taking the SMC when I worked so hard to capture it. Anet we need you involved to stop this!

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The term nightcapping describe when a group of people play during extremely low population times for the express purpose of getting 600+ PPT without facing any opposition whatsoever.

There’s nothing relative about it.

in WvW

StormageddonBK.9842

The term nightcapping describe when a group of people play during extremely low population times for the express purpose of getting 600+ PPT without facing any opposition whatsoever.

What if the only time a player is able to play is during low enemy population times? What do you suggest they do, not to play?

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

What if the only time a player is able to play is during low enemy population times? What do you suggest they do, not to play?

I’m in favor of scaling PPT based on total WvW pop no matter the time of day. Fair across the board with no flaws or limitations to how/when people play.

Besides that, we got EoTM. Players are automaticly compressed into a low number of hopefully populated instances. Nightcappers that choose to join WvW know exactly what they are doing. Or what, are they running around aiming for 650 tick while being confused about the fact they dont meet enemy players? Such a joke.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

StormageddonBK.9842

I’m in favor of scaling PPT based on total WvW pop no matter the time of day. Fair across the board with no flaws or limitations to how/when people play.

Besides that, we got EoTM. Players are automaticly compressed into a low number of hopefully populated instances. Nightcappers that choose to join WvW know exactly what they are doing. Or what, are they running around aiming for 650 tick while being confused about the fact they dont meet enemy players? Such a joke.

Cool, I think you’ve some good points there.

in WvW

Posted by: ifelldown.5426

ifelldown.5426

Nightcapping is one of the issues that broke most of the server populations from playing. Since most servers didn’t have a full 24 hour coverage population, it meant that no matter how much effort went into competing, you could never win. Since there was no hope of winning then there was no motivation to play.

There was a lot of action in WvW back in the day and the rewards were pretty good comparatively. It felt futile to play though.

In the first year of the game my server fought all the way from the bottom tier to the fifth place team. Then two things happened. No 24 hour coverage meant that was as much as could be done and caused a loss of interest in the game style. The second thing that happened was betrayal by server jumping. It had been happening all along on all the servers like a plague, but the final straw was a mid-week transfer to an opposition server. That was the final knife in the back.

From that point the numbers started dropping rapidly. With few and fewer people playing, more WvW guilds left for the top 4 servers and gutted what was left in the bulk of the other servers. Those that didn’t transfer simply stopped logging into WvW for the most part.

That brings us to where we are today. I have 4-manned SM. I’ve been in zergs that got all the way up to six players, self included. I’ve been in borderland maps where I was the only player. Once I thought I was the only player but ran into an up-leveled enemy who turned out to be the only other player. We both decided that farming the cap zones we could get at was better than fighting and went our separate ways. the overflow (lol) map is the most popular map right now.

Yes, nightcapping is important and needs to be addressed. If it isn’t then the best possible outcome will be a rinse and repeat of the the original problems that killed it in the first place.

in WvW

Posted by: antonbalboa.7280

antonbalboa.7280

Nightcap (as a term, not as a despective word or anything like that) is somethign we make reference when one server has way more coverage than other(s) in the same matchup (usually happens at nights because of players from different timezones but can be applied to mornings for example).

After this is understood, there is another thing that must be taken into account, there is no such an only NA or EU timezone. In NA, with NA players there should not be a problem, since more or less everyone would have the same peaks of coverage at the same hours. Then it comes with people from other timezones that play in the NA servers (as lots of people mentioned, mostly Oceanic players). Then it comes EU, where more or less everyone should have the same peak hours as well (will explain some differences later, but mostly should be the same).

Problem shows up firstly when there is no enough population even at prime time
For example, server A has 3 queues, server B has 2 and server C has 1, obviously server A will have more chances to get more points during day, but server B and C will probably be able to maintain a decent tick during the day. Night comes and prime time is off, server A still has a queue or at least 2 groups running, server B and C will have one as well or none. Time goes on, server A still has a group of 40 people while server B and C has 10-15. Server A will start ticking 400+ in half an hour, after the flipped all the possible keeps and towers in borderlands while server B or C can either try to defend (they will not be able and will be losing time and so tick points) or go to cap behind server A (that is mostly what will happen).

This scenario happens one week, two weeks… a month… a year…. 3 years. Also there is less people that play WvW everyday since lots of people left, leaving servers even more unbalanced. Servers like B and C will not even try to fight for PPT during the day and prime time since they know that, once they go to sleep, server A will take a lead of 15-20k by the next morning.

People don’t care about “the goal” of the gamemode since it’s useless (even if you win, you get 2 more chests with blues and greens YAY!!!!), why should fight for points? Simply log on, have some fights in the only scenario that allows you to do 80vs80vs80 and log off. Server with most coverage will always win the Matchup, no matter what.

Apart from the explanation above, have to clarify that in EU it’s a bit different since national servers will have advantage some weeks due to national holidays for example, that will make impossible for other servers to catch up. This already happened with all the 3 regions here in EU more than once. I know this is hard to consider but will also have an impact.

To try to balance things a bit I would suggest some of the previous mentioned in this and other posts about time frame matchups (3-5 hours each), alliance system (which is supposed to be in developement) etc. But again, there is something in the gamemode that is a bit limiting. There are many types of players in the gamemode (ones that want to PPT, those taht want to fight, to guild fight etc), but all of them are forced to go PPT if they want to win the matchup for the server.

Why not add some kind of scoring system that allows to take into consideration some other things in the game, such as the server with the best Kill/Death ratio (you can see in the API for NA already).
Why not do the same for the server that keeps structures the most time (server A had tower X for 5 days while B and C had it for 1 day each, server A gets more points for this, and so with the other structures in all the maps), the server that builds the less sieges during the week… etc etc. There are many ways that scoring system can be vitamined, instead of the boring, not fair PPT scoring alone (which I don’t say will have to count as the most, but having more things into consideration rather than only 1)

(edited by antonbalboa.7280)

in WvW

BlueBoy.1236

#IGot99ProblemsButNightCappingAintOne

This is why wvws gone kitten. Ppl always claimed changes are needed, but look at what happened when they changed the upgrade system and lord rezzing.

Wvw has survived 3 years with nightcapping, and the only server who was really affected by this is SoR. Things were worse also because some cmdrs suddenly decided to quit altogether. I say, leave it as it is. You guys are playing pvp and what you care is those three numbers on top of your screen? You don’t even get any kitten reward for winning

in WvW

Posted by: Zenral.3958

Zenral.3958

This is why wvws gone kitten. Ppl always claimed changes are needed, but look at what happened when they changed the upgrade system and lord rezzing.

Wvw has survived 3 years with nightcapping, and the only server who was really affected by this is SoR. Things were worse also because some cmdrs suddenly decided to quit altogether. I say, leave it as it is. You guys are playing pvp and what you care is those three numbers on top of your screen? You don’t even get any kitten reward for winning

That is a typical point of view from someone who hasn’t read through this thread, let alone other peoples’ povs. Nightcapping is a problem and has always been a problem in WvW, which is also one of the core reasons why bandwagoners exist and also why people avoid WvW when they see their servers losing.

In theory, PPT shouldn’t matter, that’s true. But to the vast majority it does and that fact cannot be dismissed no matter what you try to say.

in WvW

StormageddonBK.9842

So is this why EOTM is so much fun, only 3 hour matches?

in WvW

BlueBoy.1236

That is a typical point of view from someone who hasn’t read through this thread, let alone other peoples’ povs. Nightcapping is a problem and has always been a problem in WvW, which is also one of the core reasons why bandwagoners exist and also why people avoid WvW when they see their servers losing.

In theory, PPT shouldn’t matter, that’s true. But to the vast majority it does and that fact cannot be dismissed no matter what you try to say.

What is this “vast majority” you are talking about? I’ve been here since the glorious TCvFAvDB, and have been in many servers who have terrible matchup against off-hour servers like DB and SoS, and honestly, I’ve never seen any drop in playerbase due to those matchups. The only trend I saw is that ppl just became less inclined in upgrading the keeps. You wanna knw what keeps ppl away from wvw? When your server is getting stomped everywhere during RESET night. That reason alone is enough to scare ppl for the whole week.

I would have expected this kind of complain from a person who thinks nightcapping is the cause of ppl bandwagon. YB, Kaineng, SBI, and HoD never had nightcapping army before ppl bandwagon there, but you probably never knw about that

in WvW

Zenral.3958

What is this “vast majority” you are talking about? I’ve been here since the glorious TCvFAvDB, and have been in many servers who have terrible matchup against off-hour servers like DB and SoS, and honestly, I’ve never seen any drop in playerbase due to those matchups. The only trend I saw is that ppl just became less inclined in upgrading the keeps. You wanna knw what keeps ppl away from wvw? When your server is getting stomped everywhere during RESET night. That reason alone is enough to scare ppl for the whole week.

I would have expected this kind of complain from a person who thinks nightcapping is the cause of ppl bandwagon. YB, Kaineng, SBI, and HoD never had nightcapping army before ppl bandwagon there, but you probably never knw about that

And a typical indivudal who uses Tarnished Coast, Dragonbrand and Fort Aspenwood as examples. This is the reason the game is now in it’s current alarmingly dying state. You fail to see how the lower tiers and communities suffer from the inbalance brought by nightcapping, which is something I stated thourougly in my first posts (Page 1 and 2). I suggest you go back a few pages and read through some of the good points brought by people instead of being locked into how solely you find yourself enjoying the game.

Like I told someone in my previous pages, your kind of mentality is the reason people are leaving and people will continue to leave. Ontop of that I’ve been a nightcapper myself, been in night crews and it’s only so much fun until you realize how it kills competition and makes the losing server(s)’ population look for other options or ways to make up for the lack of competition brought by nightcappers.

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

issue with night capping has always been the players who play those hours coalesce on the same servers as a way to ktrain. They litterally do not play the same game as the rest of us. For them its more of a gold farm.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

To correct you.

DB is known as a taiwan/hk server because there are a lot of people from tw/hk there.
SOS is a oceanic server, basiaclly aus and new zealand, I remember they hardcore advertise themselves as such during the first year.
SBI is a korea server, yes, it has a lot of koreans but unlike the DB’s, they don’t play consistently. Furthermore, their competing servers too have or had their own SEA crews so it kept a balance.
HOD was a former t1 server. It have sg guilds since launch so it does have small amount of sea there. Of course, over the time, it shrunk to near none.

So, in other words, SBI have their own night crews but nightcapping didn’t happen because their competing server had their own night crews. Likewise, for HOD.

The balance broke when the population lessen and people from all the servers want a easy way out so all start to look upwards, to the server with more population. This is like a domino effect, everything start to break down when people start to move.

It is impossible to “fix” this problem unless one literally restrict the matchup to timezone but also result in breaking up the community. The most they can do is to consolidate what remains to lessen the effects.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

in WvW

Haythere.7513

Just because you play on a NA server doesn’t mean non-prime play or more specifically the time YOU don’t play is nightcapping . It also doesn’t mean that it is for the “express purpose” of running up PPT or that you want to be bored out of your mind with no opposition.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

Just because you play on a NA server doesn’t mean non-prime play or more specifically the time YOU don’t play is nightcapping . It also doesn’t mean that it is for the “express purpose” of running up PPT or that you want to be bored out of your mind with no opposition.

I dont play on a NA server. And yes, it still mean that nightcappers do it for the express purpose of getting extreme PPT without opposition. That’s what nightcappers do. That’s what nightcapping is.

Nightcapping is alot like the oasis event. You can claim its disgusting PvE that has no place in WvW all you like or pretend like it doesnt exist, it wont change the fact that when the enemy start doing it you either do it better or you loose. Simple as that.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

in WvW

Haythere.7513

I dont play on a NA server. And yes, it still mean that nightcappers do it for the express purpose of getting extreme PPT without opposition. That’s what nightcappers do. That’s what nightcapping is.

Nightcapping is alot like the oasis event. You can claim its disgusting PvE that has no place in WvW all you like or pretend like it doesnt exist, it wont change the fact that when the enemy start doing it you either do it better or you loose. Simple as that.

I am so glad you know for a fact that people are just “Nightcapping”. I’m sure all of the whiners will get there way and WvW will lose even more players.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Simple and that’s because there is no relation to Points earned and how many players that play.

in WvW

Zenral.3958

It may be a lot like the Oasis event but it ain’t used as a main ‘ingredient’ to conclude a MU in short-time spans (In most occasions) without any kind of competition to counter the server devouring all the PPT.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

How does the following sound to you:

The 24h are divided into 4 segments a 6 hours, e.g. for EU:

• 0-6 CE(S)T called night,
  • 6-12 CE(S)T called morning,
  • 12-18 CE(S)T called afternoon,
  • 18-24 CE(S)T called evening

At the end of each segment (e. 6:00, 12:00,18:00,24:00) the PPT-victor of that segment get 3 times the player-kills the victors team made as score, the PPT-second get 2 times the player-kills the second team made as score and the PPT-looser get the kills the looser team made as score.

Kills count, PPT count and all times are equal.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!