Dealing with pd condi thiefs WvW video

in WvW

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Hi guys Shikamaru X here, due to the fact that lots of players seem to be struggling against this spec. I have put together a video showing how to take care of such thiefs enjoy. Its very rough but you should get the general idea. I basically stay range most of the and try avoid as many cloak and dagger I can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63aLufLoOQY

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

(edited by vincecontix.1264)

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

one of the ways to kill thief?) just roll engi and u’re done =)) theif is easy counter for engi and actually p/s is like made against thief.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

I’d also like to add to this for some of the non engi players with text since i can’t find non-laggy record software.

Mesmer: Use a Greatsword with PU, and have pretty high damage. Take them out with long range, remember spatial surge has 1500 range, and their pistols are 900. Use blink and keep high mobility up.

Ranger: Keep up the same as the mesmer, use a long bow and keep away from them. Set up traps all around you and burst them hard, but make sure your mobility is also very high. SB would work too if played correctly.

Warrior: Use that berserker’s stance keep up the eviscerate and hammer 4-5-F1. Thieves only would have one stun breaker (shadowstep or roll for initiative), and no stability pops.

Elementallist: Just play some sort of build with six in water and keep removing the conditions, he’s nothing without them. Don’t afraid to go melee in fire, especially D/D.

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

vincecontix.1264

one of the ways to kill thief?) just roll engi and u’re done =)) theif is easy counter for engi and actually p/s is like made against thief.

Yea for thief in general engi is pretty good counter, oh yes ps does such a grea job. Though when engi has to deal with pd condi thief its kinda of 50/50 lack of condition clears an all. Ranged spec such as: Zerker lb ranger, Lb war, zerker rifle wars, zerker sd or sf ele eg…. all have good change vs pd condi thief which are only really good at dueling and solo roaming.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

Yea for thief in general engi is pretty good counter, oh yes ps does such a grea job. Though when engi has to deal with pd condi thief its kinda of 50/50 lack of condition clears an all. Ranged spec such as: Zerker lb ranger, Lb war, zerker rifle wars, zerker sd or sf ele eg…. all have good change vs pd condi thief which are only really good at dueling and solo roaming.

better show me how you coutner mesmer, for me for example it’s sometimes pretty hard to fight them, but i run totally different spec. I just don’ like bombs or nades in 1v1 much, in group fights y it’s ok, but otherwise naah, to much depends on terain and range timing.

although some eles can be a huge pain in the kitten and very high skilled waris and guardians.

U just chosen not the best example, not saying that u playing bad ofc, but if i will see your fighting condi melee ranger or good dd, sd eles or shatter/PU mesm it would show off more of your individual skill lvl.

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

vincecontix.1264

better show me how you coutner mesmer, for me for example it’s sometimes pretty hard to fight them, but i run totally different spec. I just don’ like bombs or nades in 1v1 much, in group fights y it’s ok, but otherwise naah, to much depends on terain and range timing.

although some eles can be a huge pain in the kitten and very high skilled waris and guardians.

U just chosen not the best example, not saying that u playing bad ofc, but if i will see your fighting condi melee ranger or good dd, sd eles or shatter/PU mesm it would show off more of your individual skill lvl.

Thanks for the comments, in the video I wasn’t really using a dueling spec it more of a spec I would use with a group but I like to roam with it. In this post I was trying to show some ways to deal with condi pd thief but here are some more interesting videos for you:
Immortal engi outnum no bombs or nades. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyXEr-C65g8

Solo keep cap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhfkJ1J3MY

PU memser is next just need to edit footage, I guess I could do one for dd ele dont see many melee condi rangers or sd ele but I’ll see what I can do.

Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Dancing Face.4695

Dancing Face.4695

and that’s how new meta works. celestial builds beat old builds.
are you celestial, aren’t you?

Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: Simonoly.4352

Simonoly.4352

Mesmer: Use a Greatsword with PU, and have pretty high damage. Take them out with long range, remember spatial surge has 1500 range, and their pistols are 900. Use blink and keep high mobility up.

This would only work against quite bad P/D Thieves who are unaware of the CnD fodder that illusions are. A 1200 range spatial surge won’t hit a P/D Thief very hard and Mesmer doesn’t really have the mobility to keep any thief off them without using staff.

As a Mesmer it’s better to try and end a fight with a P/D Thief as quickly as possible by locking them down and bursting them hard, with the hope that they will use Shadow Refuge so you can knock them out (if you are using GS). However, much of this is dependent on a Thief’s inability to dodge predictable combos and cc, so don’t bet on it.

I haven’t tried it myself, but I imagine a very glassy phantasm spec with Harmonious Mantras and Mender’s Purity for fully traited Power Return and Power Cleanse is probably the optimal counter to P/D Thieves.

Gandara