Defcon Alert system!

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

So I’m watching the Gamescom 2014 interview with Devon Carver. One question is about a problem with calling for help in capital cities (LA) like we used to do. Since we simply cannot run into LA and say “X map needs help now! Golems inc Garri!” any longer with the Mega Server system.

How about we take a page out of the US Department of Defense and use a colored “defcon” system? Simply have the WvW Icon on the top left of everyones client change color based on the greatest level of risk an individual map is facing. It can be based upon an average assessment of user selectable submissions. To drill down further details, a player can open the WvW panel and have a visual queue of which map is at each risk level. Simply by having the map selection banners change color to match that maps risk factor.

Anet knows our world association. Thus, I don’t believe it would be terribly difficult to keep the correct players informed at all times. Visually, it would require no UI changes beyond coloring existing UI content.

Idk, since every other icon has a notification status available to them, it seems adding this would solve the problem and maintain continuity to the other icons.

Thoughts… anyone?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: saratoga.4872

saratoga.4872

yeah the megaserver has really ruined TC in this capacity…and I suspect most of the other servers too

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Good idea. We’re excited to announce that it will be 800 gems for a WvW Defcon System 2 week pass, and 3600 gems for a permanent pass.

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Glaciate.3901

Glaciate.3901

map chat, say chat, guild chat, would be nice server chat (Same color as team chat: Dark Red)

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

WvW server chat, this and i could disable the others

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Virtute.8251

Virtute.8251

Good idea. We’re excited™ to announce that the Server Chat Tab Unlock is now available at the gem store for 1200 gems!

Server Chat Tab Unlocks are server-bound, and must be repurchased if you decide to transfer to another server.

We’re looking forward to seeing all of the exciting™ things that the community does with this exciting™ new feature!

Legendary PvF Keep Lord Anvu Pansu Senpai
RvR isn’t “endgame”, it’s the only game. Cu in CU.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

map chat, say chat, guild chat, would be nice server chat (Same color as team chat: Dark Red)

This is what our guild was discussing, not sure why they didn’t add a /server chat option that would broadcast on the map you were one to just your server population.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Helzy.4036

Helzy.4036

So I’m watching the Gamescom 2014 interview with Devon Carver. One question is about a problem with calling for help in capital cities (LA) like we used to do. Since we simply cannot run into LA and say “X map needs help now! Golems inc Garri!” any longer with the Mega Server system.

How about we take a page out of the US Department of Defense and use a colored “defcon” system? Simply have the WvW Icon on the top left of everyones client change color based on the greatest level of risk an individual map is facing. It can be based upon an average assessment of user selectable submissions. To drill down further details, a player can open the WvW panel and have a visual queue of which map is at each risk level. Simply by having the map selection banners change color to match that maps risk factor.

Anet knows our world association. Thus, I don’t believe it would be terribly difficult to keep the correct players informed at all times. Visually, it would require no UI changes beyond coloring existing UI content.

Idk, since every other icon has a notification status available to them, it seems adding this would solve the problem and maintain continuity to the other icons.

Thoughts… anyone?

Its a great idea but there is one flaw, you don’t believe it would be to terribly difficult, how terribly difficult do you think it was to add color to Comm tags ? You can expect a two year wait time for this one.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Skroo.1560

Skroo.1560

Many of our commanders have friend lists filled with other commanders, when there’s a 911 on the home BL or whatever, they’ll spam a help message to everyone on the list. It’s more annoying that just sending someone to LA to spam in chat used to be but it basically works.

Skroo [POV][ROLL] – Yak’s Bend

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Server chat would go a long ways toward solving the issue the MegaServer created. Got my vote.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

WHen i need help i usually just write an SOS msg on a parchment and insert it in a gin bottle which i hope the waves of the ocean will bring to my allies.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: EFWinters.5421

EFWinters.5421

Great idea. This isn’t something that happens ‘overnight’ however, so maybe in two years.

Human Guardian
Fort Aspenwood

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

I don’t know if changing the wvw icon color as an alert system would really be effective. I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice idea, but I feel like the only people who would notice or pay attention to it would be people who WvW a lot anyways. If you want a better way to reach the casual WvW or PvE population for either recruiting or emergency responses, I just don’t think that kind of system would offer much.

I do like the idea of a Server Chat, and I can’t see that it would be terribly difficult to implement. I mean we have map chat which can handle a bunch of people in a map, and we have guild chat which can handle a bunch of people in different maps, so Server Chat should be doable. But again I’d say that WvW people should be careful not to abuse it, because spamming that chat or anything could cause some people to uncheck it so they don’t have to see server chat. And then your only way of reaching those people is gone.

I also had the idea of like server-based overflow maps. I mean megaserver is just a bunch of different maps anyways…So what if there was a single map instance on every map, where it was only available to people in your server. You could choose like “Borlis Pass Only” in the world selection option when you log-in, and then it would only put you in Borlis Pass instances-UNLESS a map was full and then you’d just be put into a regular megaserver instance of that map. That way it would be totally optional (and not default), but still an option. Then you could still ask for help from anybody in your server’s LA, and PvErs might like having a sense of server community. I know I always liked seeing the same people around every day and our weekly server temple runs before the megaserver was created, and before I did WvW. I don’t know how realistic this is, and it’s obviously more difficult than just another chat…But it would be nice for multiple reasons. I mean then if people wanted to plan out like, temple run times or other big events with the server, you could plan a day and time and everyone pick the Server map when it’s going to happen so you don’t have to worry about all the temples already being cleared or whatever.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Defcon Alert system!

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

One problem I see with the OP suggestion, is who do we allow to send out an alert? I ask this because this could be easily trolled. I mean, you already have the occasional troll now, who cries wolf about attacks and so on. I mean don’t get my wrong, I feel this idea is certainly a thought in the right direction.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c