Defend events.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Right now the defend objective event is triggered whenever someone attacks a guard. This has one extremely major flaw: you can keep a keeps waypoint contested by simply attacking a guard on a remote wall.

This means due to Arena Nets attrocious skill balance in WvW a thief can run all stealth and mobility doing next to no damage at all but keep a way point contested almost indefinitely without any risk at all. We’ve had a Baruch bay thief doing this to us keeping a good dozen people trying to find and burst him down for 2 hours. Managed to kill him a few times but when running shortbow, tanky gear and shadowstep, blinding powder and shadow refuge he was nearly impossible to keep up with except for other thieves. Even stealth traps had no guarantee of being triggered and when we did kill him he was back within a minute.

In my opinion this should be changed to either defend events are triggered when a certain number of enemies are in the vicinity(10+) or when gates/walls take more than 100 points of damage in one hit.

You should not be able to keep way points contested this easily and it needs changing.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Agree with WP contesting issue being both annoying and allows one player to troll an entire server without repercussion.

I have long believed WP objectives should contest when they are breached and not uncontest until all breaches are sealed. The EWP would open up the waypoint for a specific amount of time when contested and could not be used unless it is contested.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Good idea Apharma. Some servers pay people to keep wps contested. It would be nice if this was fixed.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

In my opinion this should be changed to either defend events are triggered when a certain number of enemies are in the vicinity(10+) or when gates/walls take more than 100 points of damage in one hit.

Your second condition fails as players will probably hit for more than 100 points of damage on a door with certain high value attacks. It will only work if you increase that number to say 1000 damage or something.

Personally I think contest should have 3 simple conditions:
- Doors are attacked by siege or if they have taken more than 10% damage (counter resets on event done or cap, that way broken doors wont be contesting stuff).
- Walls are attacked by siege
- Lord is attacked

Guards are expendable, they really dont need to be part of the equation.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

Your second condition fails as players will probably hit for more than 100 points of damage on a door with certain high value attacks. It will only work if you increase that number to say 1000 damage or something.

- Doors are attacked by siege or if they have taken more than 10% damage (counter resets on event done or cap, that way broken doors wont be contesting stuff).
- Lord is attacked

What about camps? There’s several camps where guards can be killed without pulling the lord, which then could be cleaved down too fast to notice and rescue the camp, before it’s capped.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

Doors need to have a minimum of 5 players attacking for 10 seconds or one peace of siege attacking a door or wall.It would be highly unlikely for even 5 players to PvD a door down with out being noticed .Having a minimum number of players to “tap” doors would be a better discouragement to contesting WPs
Camps must have immediate contesting upon attack.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

- Lord is attacked

What about camps? There’s several camps where guards can be killed without pulling the lord, which then could be cleaved down too fast to notice and rescue the camp, before it’s capped.

Well a single person can pretty much assault a camp and have everyone dead before contest even pops…

But the answer is simple in this case. It could work just like now.

I am guessing that the current guard AI simply have a state that says that if it’s attacked, the objective linked to the guard is contested.

Disable that for keep and tower guards (either via a new template of guards or a simple 0/1 switch). Keep it for camp guards. Problem solved.

Hell I wouldnt even mind seeing some fun visual interaction on this for NPCs that are capable to contest. So you attack a camp guard? He gets out a horn and blows on it, alerting nearby units (and obviously contest the camp). Attack a keep guard? Well the lord couldnt afford horns for so many guards so he’s kittened.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Well it doesn’t have to be 100 damage it can be anything that someone can’t do in a single big hit, make it 1000 for all I care but something needs to be done to stop the trolling.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

In order to rationalise the change, let’s go over the scenario in detail …

• I believe the original idea was that waypoints would be contested so that defenders can’t just port a zerg in and save the objective,
  • Attackers use/abuse the “contested” mechanic by tagging the objective in order to disable the waypoint while another objective is attacked (It should be noted that this does not negatively affect gameplay and in fact adds an interesting element to it),
  • The downside is that it is somewhat too easy to contest the waypoint, as (as the OP states) simply scratching a guard causes the waypoint to be disabled,
  • The logical solution is (again, as the OP states) make the waypoint become disabled when more damage is done to guard/wall/door,
  • This would appear to require a change from a flag system (was any part of the keep/guards damaged?) to a numerical amount system (did the keep/guard take X damage?), which could mean the solution takes more man-hours than Anet are prepared to set aside for this.

I would like to see this happen, because waypoints do get contested too much, but I would place it on a lower priority, somewhere above open field cannons.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I like it when defend event for camp starts only after I’ve already killed all the guards. Makes sure nobody has chance to interrupt me.

Defend events.

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Alpine NC must be different. It gets contested if gate guards are attacked. But if enemy does not survive to the camp, objective defender does not trigger.

For keeps with wp I suggest separate “guards are attacked” and “wall/gates are being destroyed” triggers (with 1000 point thing?).