Defending in WvW

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Xyppi.8061

Xyppi.8061

Defending in WvW has many oversights, firstly, there are a few spots you can’t defend against. In the alpine BL at south east tower, there is no way to counter the catapults in the tunnel. The stairway up from south gate hills catapult spot is impossible to defend against as nothing can hit it unless you wanna dive the zerg, which is usually not a good idea. My main problem however is the shield generators which make it impossible to defend against any zerg that use it. Trebuchets behind gates don’t work because of the infinite bubble the shield generator produces, we can’t use arrow carts usually because of the zerg size, meteor showers for days. Another issue is that the watergate at inner Garrison in the Alpine Borderland is paper. That seems like a massive oversight, I think it’s been like this the whole time Guild Wars 2 has been out, but I’d like if it was changed to scale with the keep upgrades along with everything else. Every other keep has it, why does inner water gate Garrison not? You can call it a feature, but when I’m losing garrison to a flash mob I’ll just call it bullkitten. I know I’m forgetting to mention a lot of other problems, but I unfortunately don’t have time at the moment, and I want to to this post before I lose the urge too later. If you have other complaints please add them to the comments. This is just a small list, I hope to make it bigger with your input.

When I bring up the topic of defense in WvW I understand I am speaking for the minority here. Maybe more people would do it if it was more plausible. When I say defense, I mean holding objectives such as towers to the castle.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: jul.7602

jul.7602

I agree, not only is defending in WvW difficult, but it is far less rewarding and more expensive to siege.

As a pugmander who commands fa for several hours a day, my biggest problem is shield generators covering superior flame rams. The flame rams and shield generators are impervious to arrow carts, ballistas, trebs and even siege disablers, allowing only certain ground targeted skills to damage the superior ram, which are extremely durable. Compounded with everyone carrying 20+ supply, its very cheap and easy to completely negate any defensive position. The shield generators force dome should not affect siege equipment, and should have a serious uptime reduction.

Another problem is that most towers and keeps have very thing walls and elevation, so everything gets decimated by 1-2 meteor showers. The walls need to be thicker and/or higher like in Hills so that well placed siege is at least somewhat protected.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Just fixing the los on walls and the crazy wrap around staff ele aoe would do wonders. Also getting pulled through walls with stab up is ridiculous.

Tough to balance though as I’m sure there are servers with superior numbers that like to turtle up. Giving defense a buff might make them even more annoying.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: aristotle.2813

aristotle.2813

When I bring up the topic of defense in WvW I understand I am speaking for the minority here. Maybe more people would do it if it was more plausible. When I say defense, I mean holding objectives such as towers to the castle.

Don’t you agree that maybe only 5% of the WvW community in every server are concerned and make every effort to fortify and hold what they have? As for the rest of the 95%, capping, body loot and everything else has more priorities. Who cares about losing a camp/fort/keep as long as they are there for re-capping. It’s a game of musical chairs as there are no incentives nor rewards. To them, let the fools do all the work defending and if they are free they will help out but please do your best to defend as we are busy capping yet another camp/fort/keep elsewhere.

And you know what? The longer you stay in forts and keeps with time and effort wasted to prepare their defense, the less rewarding it will be for you.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Yeah some spots are pretty solid when it comes to attacking. But if you just think outside the box ( leave keep ) and go around you can find neat spots to lets say put a ballista down. As for hills south west, yes that place you wont be able to ac bomb from the wall, just put a balli up on the plateau from the west and you will see it do wonders.

Edit: Picture as an example.

Attachments:

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

(edited by Offair.2563)

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Don’t you agree that maybe only 5% of the WvW community in every server are concerned and make every effort to fortify and hold what they have? As for the rest of the 95%, capping, body loot and everything else has more priorities. Who cares about losing a camp/fort/keep as long as they are there for re-capping. It’s a game of musical chairs as there are no incentives nor rewards. To them, let the fools do all the work defending and if they are free they will help out but please do your best to defend as we are busy capping yet another camp/fort/keep elsewhere.

And you know what? The longer you stay in forts and keeps with time and effort wasted to prepare their defense, the less rewarding it will be for you.

I’ve done a lot of scouting and defending in my time with Gw2 and you know what I’ve learned?

Don’t put the time and effort in to anything you’re not prepared to lose. Everything will fall eventually, there’s no point in mourning it.

For myself, all I care is that there’s a fight involved in defending it. I don’t care if I put hours and hours and a heap of gold in to upgrading something, as long as there’s a fun fight in/outside of it. It’s when things are taken without any kind of real struggle for the attackers that I get upset. Because it’s boring face v gate for them and it’s wasted time/money for me.

Most people prefer a more offensive and careless kind of WvW where they can follow a tag and spam 1 a lot. No one should hold a grudge against the zerglings for doing what they do because it’s only a game at the end of the day. What they find most fun is all that matters. Commanders however should learn to be concerned with their scouts. If they’re not bringing the blob to help out with defense, they’re not doing their job to protect their territory and to support their scouts.

I scout out of personal enjoyment and by choice. No one forces me to do it so I can’t yell at people if no one wants to help. But if a commander is ignoring me when I’ve given live and detailed information, I think that’s when it’s acceptable to get a bit aggressive.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Evilek.5690

Evilek.5690

Main problem is zoom hacking. Attackers dont need use siege engines beacose zoom hack and meteor shower destroid everysingle siege engines in castle.

Evilek lvl 80 Charr Thief Why no ?
Fredy Brimstone lvl 80 Mighty Warrior
OupĂ­ lvl 80 Immortal Guardian

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Main problem is zoom hacking. Attackers dont need use siege engines beacose zoom hack and meteor shower destroid everysingle siege engines in castle.

Not entirely true. Stand behind the wall and throw the blueprint just under the lip in a corner. Usually its safe there from meteor showers.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Anet wants us to blob………BLOB…ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US.

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Players get rewarded for taking objectives and scored for holding them. The difficulty of taking an objective isn’t factored into the reward either. This clearly encourages an efficient method of capturing objectives.

What is WvW… mostly a group of people roaming around the map flipping the easiest objectives and actively wanting those objectives to flip back so they can repeat the process. They occasionally take a break to fight each other in the rare case that a fight is actually somewhat balanced numbers wise.

Until defending is meaningful from a reward standpoint, WvW will always be a flip fest.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Would really like to see a dev respond to the defending kind souls out there. These small crew of people really are a vital part to wvw IMO. They’ve been known to hold off a zerg of huge numbers so the main blobbing crew can respond (something you love anet blobbing)

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Defenders can use the shield generators, too.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Defending in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

This is the EotM-factor. WvW players are now more K-trainish than they used to be. It used to be a point of pride to hold a keep for X-number of hours/days, whereas now it’s basically a waste of time/resources. It was fun to hold at all costs versus waves of enemies coming at you all through primetime. You would count the seconds til the waypoint opened up allowing reinforcements to come back to the fray. The PPT guilds would do their thing as the fights guilds would zergdive to eliminate the threat, and the havoc guilds would recap camps and towers. It was glorious.

Of course back then the PPT guilds were the blobs, the fights guilds only ran around 20, and havoc guilds were around 10 strong. Nowadays the defense guilds are few and far between, and have shrunk. The fights guilds only respond if necessary, and roll around in blobs. And the havoc guilds have generally shrunk to roamer status. Kinda sad and boring tbh.