Discussion : Fixes for WvW queues

in WvW

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

TL;DR: WvW queues are bugged so they do not work like queues are supposed to work (i.e. first in, first out). This is an unfair system for resolving who gets in, especially since everyone thinks we are waiting in a “queue” because the game tells us so. At a minimum, the developers should change the text so we know that this is not how the system works, since it is a false statement.

This has been broken since launch and will not be fixed for several months. I don’t feel like this issue has received enough attention. I hope that by bringing more attention to this, we can get something done about it sooner, even if it’s an intermediate fix.

I feel like people are not upset enough about the bugged WvW queues.

I understand that this is mainly an issue on high population servers. I understand that I can transfer to a lower population server to not deal with it, and I have understood that the devs have been telling us so. However, I have been on Jade Quarry since the game launched, and I am not going to pay for gems to move from a community I love because people keep joining my server. I do not have a problem with waiting in line for my turn, even if it’s a long wait. I have a problem with the fact that I am waiting for a seemingly random and arbitrarily system to decide when I get to go, when other people might have to wait significantly less time or significantly more time, for no apparent reason. While these are my own feelings, I believe that I am also speaking for a significant portion of the playerbase.

In case you missed it, Devon Carver recently confirmed that WvW queues have been broken since launch, and that they are not going to fix it until months from now when they release the new Edge of the Mists map.

Queues will be fixed as part of the new map. They will continue to operate as they have since launch until then. The queue does not function as a typical queue and we are fixing it. It will just take some time. It has been a lower priority than the other things we have done and we’ve only now been able to devote the appropriate resources to it.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Bugged-Queues-1/first#post3059071

The problem is not that queues are long, the problem is that they do not work like queues should work. Calling such a thing a “queue” is wrong at best, lying at worst.

If you are not familiar with the word “queue”, here is a dictionary definition:

a line of people who are waiting for something

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/queue

The reason why queues or queue-like systems work is because everyone understands how they work and agree that they are fair. The simplest queue follows a simple and sacred social norm that has been used by human civilization since civilization existed: first come, first served. This is a basic concept to deal with situations where you can’t serve everyone at once. Everyone is treated equally, and you get priority based on how long you have been waiting.

Think about this: if you have been waiting for a long time for something, wouldn’t you be upset if someone “cuts in line”? (as we Americans put it.) Let’s say you’ve waited for an hour to get on the rollercoaster at the amusement park, and somebody jumps in front of you and only has to wait five minutes. I would consider that incredibly unfair, as I hope would most people.

Of course, there are certainly situations in real life where you can jump into the middle or beginning of a queue that is somehow socially acceptable – e.g. “flash passes” at Six Flags, airline premier members who can use the faster security line, elderly people in wheelchairs bypassing lines at tourist attractions. In each of these cases, there is some reason (possibly debatable if a good reason) why these people get to skip the long line, whether they are paying extra money for it or because we don’t want to subject elderly people to long waits because of their weaker health.

This is not the case for WvW queues. Arguments can be made for why or why not people with higher WvW rank might deserve to get in first, or why or why not recent transfers should get lower priority, etc. But that is not what is going on here. With no further explanation is being offered for how the queue actually works beyond that it “does not function as a typical queue”, there is no clear, transparent preferential logic that we can debate the merits of. As far as we are concerned, the queue is random.

By calling the system a “queue”, we are being falsely advertised to. There is an understanding of what a “queue” is, and this is not it. There is an unspoken social contract between us, the players, and them, the developers: we play this game in a way respectful of them and each other, and they will treat us with respect. I think this is clearly a case where the developers are not holding up their end of this contract.

…(continued in next post)…

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

(edited by Veron.8645)

in WvW

Veron.8645

…(continued from above)…

Our time as players is valuable to us. We are taking time out of other things we can be doing to play this game. Even waiting for WvW queues is taking time from other things we can be doing in the game – I can’t switch characters and I don’t want to commit to something like a dungeon in case my queue pops. If I have to wait my turn for something, I want it to be a fair system. I don’t want to be told it works like a “queue” when it doesn’t. It is incredibly upsetting to me that this basic fact has been falsely given to me for more than a year, and that they are going to continue to do so for many more months.

I think that, at a minimum, if the developers are not able to straight-up fix the system promptly, the text needs to be changed so that the concept of a queue is not implied.

As for what else to do, I really would like there to be an intermediate solution that can be done more quickly that is not a straight up fix. Of course, I have no idea how the system is designed and programmed, so I am certainly willing to believe there is no reasonable, substantive intermediate solution.

However, from anecdotal evidence, it seems like if you queue for WvW and you don’t get in right away, you will be waiting for at least several hours or not get in at all (i.e. you got “bugged”). However, for other people who are queuing, or if you cancel and requeue, you might get in after 10 or 20 minutes. One anecdote from two days ago: a friend of mine queues for EB and gets in after 20 minutes. I queue immediately after him and wait 45 minutes with nothing. A second friend queues at the same time as me, and restarts his computer after waiting for a while, requeues, and gets in after 10 minutes of waiting. For the next two hours, I log out and requeue every 20 to 30 minutes. During this time, a third friend queues and gets in after 10 minutes of waiting. After over two and a half hours of trying to get into EB, I finally get the notification 20 minutes after logging out and requeuing.

If it really is the case that you can get a “bugged” queue, I would like the system to automatically cancel and requeue people who have been waiting for more than a certain amount of time (say 20 minutes). I have no idea how much effort this would take to implement or how much of an impact it would have on server resources, so maybe this is not feasible. It could also be the case that there are no “bugged” queues and it is really just random, so there would be no reason for anybody to cancel and requeue. In any case, it would be nice to get some kind of dev comment on this to know if we are wasting our time or not with potentially bugged queues and should be canceling and requeuing.

EDIT: I would like to add that it would be great if we could get a dev to comment with more details about how the system works and what would be a reasonable workaround that players can use to make sure everyone can get an equal chance at a prompt queue pop.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

(edited by Veron.8645)

in WvW

Posted by: Carize.8532

Carize.8532

Jeez, I can’t believe that this has been the situation since launch and never been fixed (wait…ok, nvm. Yes i can)

There have been quite a few /facepalm moments for me with this whole LS patch. It’s like piling heavy stones in a barrow, one after the other after the other. I’m not stressed, but I can only imagine the pea-sized beads of sweat on our WvW dev team’s foreheads from knowing what they’ll have to deal with each day at work.

SMH

Bianca Helios, Ele :: Ganna Shouztu, Ranger :: Selad Mahen, Necro :: Rowan Nightseer, Warr
Melodic Whisper, Thief :: Mephelotic Phantasm, Mes :: Xoboda, Guard :: Plikkik, Engi
Jade Quarry since launch then I started wandering the borderlands of Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

queue bug ? what queue bug ? there’s no queue bug on CD….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

I have had the feeling the Queue for borderlands just fills up the border with who ever gets there first regardless of server.

It happened somany times we got to a border with Queue’s while being outmanned by a server running 2-3 times more people.

It could be we would have 40-60 people hiding somewhere, but a general headcount usually doesn’t reach more then 40 people.

anyway, nothing new, go for low pop.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Totally agree. All the folks who are not experiencing any Q issues are now taking the opportunity to gleefully say “told ya so” or “move to a lower pop server” etc. when the real issue is that the Q’s are not working as intended (seemingly random instead of first to Q first to get in a map) – and that the Devs knowing this problem exists did not address it before the expected new flood of achievement hunters from across the game into WvW with their new WvW Season Update.

I’m perfectly fine with being in a legitimate Q because the WvW population on my server is higher (due to Guilds transferring) or the general server population on my server being higher.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuudoru.4217

Nuudoru.4217

I would love to anet to fix this any time soon. The terrible queue is the reason I stopped playing Guild Wars 2 and I would love to start again if they just fixed this.

in WvW

Posted by: Valdemas.4960

Valdemas.4960

I support this thread. My last guild almost disbanded because of the queue system Nothing infuriates people like waiting for two hours while a guild member gets in 20 min, you don’t know if you are bugged or not.

Vinita Rush, ZDs Officer

in WvW

Posted by: Style.1092

Style.1092

Yeah, this is pretty sick situation. I wasn’t aware that queue isn’t a queue (FIFO), but just a lotery, until i got to map after 10min, and i heard on TS that some people waiting 2hours.
I’m pretty sure that this is not the only problem with equal chances.
I want to see special command for commanders that will allow them to check all population on map(of own server). I have suspicion that Anet assurance that players limit number is split equally among all three servers isn’t true. I know, that the stupidest idea ever was to add achievement on league start, which attracted to map plenty of pve players, but EB isn’t big map and you can quite easy run through map and count players spread out. And if you see that there aren’t so many spread out players and you are attacked by 3x more players and there is queue on map, you start thinking that “equal player number system” isn’t working same as queue doesn’t work.
Or… there is a hidden system that is trying to level the playing field by not equal player numbers. Of course i can be wrong, so add command for commanders that will clear this out.

Cpt Nemo Kolkozy

(edited by Style.1092)

in WvW

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

anger rising….

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

in WvW

Posted by: Dasboba.1652

Dasboba.1652

If they’re going to keep this bs lottery system, they should at least let us queue for all 4 maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I tried to read your post to find out how the queue bug works…. but all I saw was wall of text and no information that actually tells us how it works.

All I’m seeing is conspiracies.
I’ll be angry about it once I get solid proof on it.

in WvW

Posted by: Nozdormu.4352

Nozdormu.4352

A very well worded post, explaining in detail the problem of queues, OP. It’s not clear to me why this flawed system hasn’t already been improved with a simple fix like allowing access to the information about what your place in the queue is.

If you queue up, and are 10th in line, you know it’s a small wait no matter what. if you’re 100th, you may as well do a dungeon. After 2 hours, if you moved from #100 to #5, you know you’re gonna get there eventually, but if you’re still #100, there’s something very wrong.

I can’t see why this would not be a good idea. It’s an easy, simple fix that, while it may not do anything about the time actually spent in queue, would at least provide the player insight into wtf is going on, and hopefully reassurance that he is, in fact, moving up in the queue.

Guildless
Charr Guardian
47k kills and counting

in WvW

Posted by: BlackAngel.1349

BlackAngel.1349

I tried to read your post to find out how the queue bug works…. but all I saw was wall of text and no information that actually tells us how it works.

All I’m seeing is conspiracies.
I’ll be angry about it once I get solid proof on it.

The devs already posted that the queues are bugged, and OP referenced it in his (rather long) post. They haven’t given any additional info as to how they are bugged or how they work currently, but its been confirmed.

Glaedr Darksbane

in WvW

Posted by: Ahmrill.7512

Ahmrill.7512

Seem feelings I have.

- I’m on a high population server and expect to be in a que… that’s not a problem.

- Our guild ques for the same zone at the same time and get in at various times… that IS a problem. Some people get a pop within 5-10 mins, others are over an hour. Organizing and playing with friends is a chore in GW2…. and it shouldn’t be.

Ahmrill
Proud member of [NORD] Nordvegr Guild
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Bunny.6185

Bunny.6185

I agree, something needs to be done about this. It’s not a queue at all, it’s an RNG timer that lets you in whenever it feels like it. Every day there is someone new losing their temper because people who enter the queue after them have jumped in ahead.

The part that annoys me the most however is that there is a youtube video where some guy explains how to exploit the queue successfully, to get your whole team inside ahead of other people…and apparently it’s been like that since launch. It’s no wonder the rest of us who queue in the normal way can’t get inside, when there are methods to plainly ignore the queue.

Anyhoo, it would be nice to see this on the ‘fast tracked’ list of issues to be fixed….but perhaps after the “get servers that can cope with the game” issue. The lag this week makes the queue problem seem like spilled milk in comparison….

in WvW

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Some of us have known about the borked queues for awhile now.

If they want to randomly pick from the “queue line” then we should just say kitten the queue line.

(edited by KingClash.3186)

in WvW

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Queues shouldn’t even work like a proper queue given the nature of what has spurred this crap of transferring.

Queues should give priority to those who have NOT transferred and instead let people who have been loyal to their server in first.

in WvW

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

In case anyone is interested, the first time this was officially acknowledged was EIGHT MONTHS ago, by Mike Ferguson in a website interview. Here’s the snippet …

Queues do indeed behave in a strange manner. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more news about that as it does boil down to resources. It’s a fixable problem, but we need some time from a very specialized type of programmer for that job and they’re all currently busy with other tasks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/196tgh/jeuxonlineinfo_made_an_interview_with_mike/

Obviously fixing this dropped down (or off) the priority list, since the frequency of queues diminished quite a bit by that time, but someone at Anet should have seen this coming when they came up with the Leagues idea and maybe more impactful … adding Achievements.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in WvW

Veron.8645

In case anyone is interested, the first time this was officially acknowledged was EIGHT MONTHS ago, by Mike Ferguson in a website interview.

It’s crazy to me that it’s been broken for over a year, and the only option that is being considered is an all or nothing straight-up fix that sounds like it’s hard to implement. I wish the devs would consider some smaller options that are short of fixing it but would still help players out. Even something as simple as changing the text to say:

“Eternal Battlegrounds is full. Would you like to wait to get in? If you do not get notified within half an hour, please cancel your waiting status and try again.”

in WvW

Posted by: BlazeQ.1095

BlazeQ.1095

Maybe your right because I’m not upset at all. Then again I don’t live on a stacked server and get to play the game when I want :-)

Cold Beerdrinker
PB Officer
NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

Maybe your right because I’m not upset at all. Then again I don’t live on a stacked server and get to play the game when I want :-)

I agree with this, I’m not upset in the slightest.

in WvW

Posted by: Niteip.8301

Niteip.8301

It baffles me that Anet would promote a wvw when its clearly broken in more ways then just the queue.

I dont think people realize the queue is so broken because they keep blaming it on the “pvers” that are going in to get the ap points. People need to stop blaming the influx of people and realize that the queue is not a queue and is broken.

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

It is hard to get upset over something that has always been in the game and I would say the opposite, that people are wasting way too much time kittening about queues instead of demanding some solid answers on the skill lag issue because that is really where the pain is if you are someone who loves WvW. Something is seriously wrong there and the only thing I know ANET can do to fix it involves making the queues worse so the more we scream about queues the less the chance ANET will risk giving us any improvement on skill lag. If we have to pick priorties, don’t you think skill lag is more important than borked queues that we’ve always managed to work around before?

The queue system has never been a queue and was always “broken” if you thought it was one, been that way since launch. A lot of players actually quit the game in the first two months using ANET “unique” queue method as their main motivation although some did also try transferring down to lower population worlds as well but they were mainly the crowd looking for large scale 24/7 epic three-way combat without limits so to be honest, GW2 was not going to be the game for them in the long run anyways.

The problem has never been how the waiting time functions but that us the players are so kitten unpredictable in our play habits and so typical in our dog-pile to the top attitudes. Not to mention the whole 6 months of free transfers because guesting was more complicated than originally planned. Lets face it, our clamoring and $$ made this game launch 6 months to a year sooner than it should have and we have to live with those consequences. It sucks that methods to better incentivize balanced WvW populations across servers were never implemented but then again, we are such a fickle lot good luck to any dev who tries to herd this bunch of moody charr cubs. They need psychology majors for that.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Niteip.8301

It is hard to get upset over something that has always been in the game and I would say the opposite, that people are wasting way too much time kittening about queues instead of demanding some solid answers on the skill lag issue because that is really where the pain is if you are someone who loves WvW. Something is seriously wrong there and the only thing I know ANET can do to fix it involves making the queues worse so the more we scream about queues the less the chance ANET will risk giving us any improvement on skill lag. If we have to pick priorties, don’t you think skill lag is more important than borked queues that we’ve always managed to work around before?

The queue system has never been a queue and was always “broken” if you thought it was one, been that way since launch. A lot of players actually quit the game in the first two months using ANET “unique” queue method as their main motivation although some did also try transferring down to lower population worlds as well but they were mainly the crowd looking for large scale 24/7 epic three-way combat without limits so to be honest, GW2 was not going to be the game for them in the long run anyways.

The problem has never been how the waiting time functions but that us the players are so kitten unpredictable in our play habits and so typical in our dog-pile to the top attitudes. Not to mention the whole 6 months of free transfers because guesting was more complicated than originally planned. Lets face it, our clamoring and $$ made this game launch 6 months to a year sooner than it should have and we have to live with those consequences. It sucks that methods to better incentivize balanced WvW populations across servers were never implemented but then again, we are such a fickle lot good luck to any dev who tries to herd this bunch of moody charr cubs. They need psychology majors for that.

I am starting to think the the queue is part of the issue with the lag. Ever wonder why you cant get into a wvw then get in and see the enemy outnumbers you 3-1. Wonder if the queue is making the server caps wonky and one side is getting more players in then the other.

in WvW

Posted by: gidorah.4960

gidorah.4960

yeah people probably arent upset enough because most servers don’t have a que at all and the servers that do have a que did it to themselves with heavy recruitment

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’m not really upset at all. I guess I just don’t take computer games that seriously. I had a six hour queue on reset night last week, I was disappointed sure, but I wasn’t angry or upset.

in WvW

Veron.8645

I’m not really upset at all. I guess I just don’t take computer games that seriously. I had a six hour queue on reset night last week, I was disappointed sure, but I wasn’t angry or upset.

So you’re okay with waiting six hours when other people only had to wait 10 minutes? And that all of this got decided completely arbitrarily?

There’s not taking games that seriously, and then there’s blatant unfairness due to a bugged system. If that really doesn’t bother you, then I guess we just simply disagree.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

Well some of us like to make use of those hours.

in WvW

Posted by: Omega.9601

Omega.9601

Yeah it’s only really a problem on reset nights, but I’ve queued for a map like 10 mins before someone else, and sometimes the other person gets in the map in under 15 mins while I have to wait 1-2 hours. Sometimes it’s the other way around, either way this should of been fixed over a year ago.

Fort Aspenwood
Ectoplasm Ltd [GLOB] – Elementalist

in WvW

Niteip.8301

yeah people probably arent upset enough because most servers don’t have a que at all and the servers that do have a que did it to themselves with heavy recruitment

This is not the point. the point is the queue is RANDOM. did you not read any of the post?

in WvW

Posted by: Omega.9601

Omega.9601

Well some of us like to make use of those hours.

That doesn’t really work for people who only play this game for wvw.

Fort Aspenwood
Ectoplasm Ltd [GLOB] – Elementalist

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Totally agree. All the folks who are not experiencing any Q issues are now taking the opportunity to gleefully say “told ya so” or “move to a lower pop server” etc. when the real issue is that the Q’s are not working as intended (seemingly random instead of first to Q first to get in a map) – and that the Devs knowing this problem exists did not address it before the expected new flood of achievement hunters from across the game into WvW with their new WvW Season Update.

Spot on, I said it in the original thread but I’ll say it again, it beggars belief that this isn’t a top priority.

In case anyone is interested, the first time this was officially acknowledged was EIGHT MONTHS ago, by Mike Ferguson in a website interview. Here’s the snippet …

Queues do indeed behave in a strange manner. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more news about that as it does boil down to resources. It’s a fixable problem, but we need some time from a very specialized type of programmer for that job and they’re all currently busy with other tasks.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/196tgh/jeuxonlineinfo_made_an_interview_with_mike/

Obviously fixing this dropped down (or off) the priority list, since the frequency of queues diminished quite a bit by that time, but someone at Anet should have seen this coming when they came up with the Leagues idea and maybe more impactful … adding Achievements.

Unbelievable, simply unbelievable.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in WvW

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

If they’re going to keep this ** lottery system, they should at least let us queue for all 4 maps.

I support this idea of multi-queues. It is extremely annoying to have multiple wvw maps queued, and have no idea what map will have the “shortest” queue time. At the very least I would be happy with being able to queue up for 2 maps (i.e., Red borderlands and Eternal battlegrounds) at the same time.

I have had plenty of experiences with the queue system, and I do not trust it anymore. I have had plenty of times of guild members being in queue for a map for over an hour, and I queue up and get in under 5 minutes, all while said guild member is STILL in queue for that map. The only way to know if you are “in queue” is looking at the wvw icon at the top left of screen. More often then not it seems my queue bugs if I change maps while in queue (such as in queue for EB, and I map hop from Red borderlands to Green).

I understand that it can be complicated because the queue is dependent on people in the map you are queued for to leave it, and is more complicated by having that 20-30 pop up window asking if you want to join the map or re-queue (people will after all, sometimes click to re-queue instead of enter the map)

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

in WvW

gidorah.4960

This is not the point. the point is the queue is RANDOM. did you not read any of the post?

no i did. i just don’t care since i dont have a que. most people didn’t stack their server with recruitment efforts don’t have a que thats why most don’t care. you created your own problem so people tend to not have sympathy.

in WvW

gidorah.4960

Spot on, I said it in the original thread but I’ll say it again, it beggars belief that this isn’t a top priority.

Unbelievable, simply unbelievable.

lol no the real issue is people wanted superserver’s and now they have them. they just didnt think about what that meant.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

no i did. i just don’t care since i dont have a que. most people didn’t stack their server with recruitment efforts don’t have a que thats why most don’t care. you created your own problem so people tend to not have sympathy.

I used to be on a T4/5 server, it had queues on reset, from what I understand servers at that level still have queues on reset so it is a problem for more than just the T1 servers.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

azizul.8469

I used to be on a T4/5 server, it had queues on reset, from what I understand servers at that level still have queues on reset so it is a problem for more than just the T1 servers.

only in EB, perhaps…. the other maps, no queue whatsoever…..

in WvW

Posted by: Goel.9127

Goel.9127

What boggles my mind is how I get into BG BL during NA prime time in 20 min while in HotM and 1-2+ hours outside of it.

Why does the zone affect queue speed? So strange.

I can see why they put it off with queues being lighter until S1, but it must be more complicated a fix than people seem to think. They play the game, they’re in these queues too.

80 Guardian
Founder, “Free Buff Movement” [BUFF], BG

in WvW

Posted by: MagiKarp.8201

MagiKarp.8201

So this might sound funny, but the solution I believe to Queues is to reduce map sizes.

Reduce the number of players currently allowed on a map from the ridiculous 80+ we see to queue a map and reduce it to 40-50 players per map.

This solves multiple problems, not only does it reduce queue times it will lead to balancing of other servers as people move off “T1” servers because they can NEVER hope to get into WvW in their current state, also allows for a more competative “league” system which also compensates for “offhours” if you have to put 50 on a map to counter the enemy force instead of 100 it makes “offhours” coverage a lot more equal and fair.

Not only this but when make the map sizes smaller as people move off the “top3” servers they move down to the “top6” so instead of having 3 servers with 400 ppl in WvW all the time you have the “top3” having 200ish which means there is 160-200 people to be allocated to create a whole new server basically, meaning servers like Sorrows Furnace, Devonas and other server who currently don’t get queues can experience what wvw should be but also the “offhours” or Oc/SEA/EU timezones can have real WvW competition and not be forced into “blobbing” in T1 because there are no adequate Oc/SEA competition in lower tiers.

~Karps ~BG

Magikarps Norn Ele – becuz leopard
Blackgate WvW Commander
Vanguard of Exiled Mercenaries [MERC] voem.enjin.com

in WvW

azizul.8469

So this might sound funny, but the solution I believe to Queues is to reduce map sizes.

Reduce the number of players currently allowed on a map from the ridiculous 80+ we see to queue a map and reduce it to 40-50 players per map.

This solves multiple problems, not only does it reduce queue times it will lead to balancing of other servers as people move off “T1” servers because they can NEVER hope to get into WvW in their current state, also allows for a more competative “league” system which also compensates for “offhours” if you have to put 50 on a map to counter the enemy force instead of 100 it makes “offhours” coverage a lot more equal and fair.

Not only this but when make the map sizes smaller as people move off the “top3” servers they move down to the “top6” so instead of having 3 servers with 400 ppl in WvW all the time you have the “top3” having 200ish which means there is 160-200 people to be allocated to create a whole new server basically, meaning servers like Sorrows Furnace, Devonas and other server who currently don’t get queues can experience what wvw should be but also the “offhours” or Oc/SEA/EU timezones can have real WvW competition and not be forced into “blobbing” in T1 because there are no adequate Oc/SEA competition in lower tiers.

~Karps ~BG

i love to see this idea implemented. i have posted this time and time again before, but i’m not sure anet will reduce the map cap….

in WvW

Veron.8645

I understand if you don’t WvW much or don’t have to deal with this problem as acutely because you are not on a higher population server. But I don’t like how you are laying the blame on me and people like me, in order to trivialize a problem that impacts a very significant portion of the playerbase.

I did not recruit anybody to stack my server. I have been on Jade Quarry since launch. I am not a hardcore WvW player. I am a very active general PvX player who enjoys WvW in addition to other parts of the game. Under normal circumstances, I’ll play a few hours of WvW every week or two. Because of the introduction of the season, I would like to play more WvW to participate in the highlighted content and support my community. This is the entire purpose of the season. I have done absolutely nothing wrong, and I am certainly not going to pay gems to leave the community I’ve been with for over a year so I can experience a core in-game event that Anet is emphasizing for everyone.

I do not mind the fact that people transfer to my server because my server is awesome. I do not mind having to wait a long time because a lot of people want to WvW. That is how a lot of things in life is – if you show up at a sandwich shop and there are a lot of people, you just wait in line. What I do have a problem with is that there is no line, there is a mysterious arbitrary system that chooses who gets to go next that the devs admit does not function like a line. There is no reason one person has to queue for 2 hours when someone who queues after them waits only 10 minutes. If Anet is not physically able to fix this soon, they should publicize this in-game and give directions for players to work around any bugs with their individual queue statuses.

On a separate note, I would like to thank whichever moderator changed the title of this thread. The old title was not really conveying what I am trying to do, and a lot of people were getting caught up on that.

in WvW

gidorah.4960

I understand if you don’t WvW much or don’t have to deal with this problem as acutely because you are not on a higher population server. But I don’t like how you are laying the blame on me and people like me, in order to trivialize a problem that impacts a very significant portion of the playerbase.

I did not recruit anybody to stack my server. I have been on Jade Quarry since launch. I am not a hardcore WvW player. I am a very active general PvX player who enjoys WvW in addition to other parts of the game. Under normal circumstances, I’ll play a few hours of WvW every week or two. Because of the introduction of the season, I would like to play more WvW to participate in the highlighted content and support my community. This is the entire purpose of the season. I have done absolutely nothing wrong, and I am certainly not going to pay gems to leave the community I’ve been with for over a year so I can experience a core in-game event that Anet is emphasizing for everyone.

I do not mind the fact that people transfer to my server because my server is awesome. I do not mind having to wait a long time because a lot of people want to WvW. That is how a lot of things in life is – if you show up at a sandwich shop and there are a lot of people, you just wait in line. What I do have a problem with is that there is no line, there is a mysterious arbitrary system that chooses who gets to go next that the devs admit does not function like a line. There is no reason one person has to queue for 2 hours when someone who queues after them waits only 10 minutes. If Anet is not physically able to fix this soon, they should publicize this in-game and give directions for players to work around any bugs with their individual queue statuses.

On a separate note, I would like to thank whichever moderator changed the title of this thread. The old title was not really conveying what I am trying to do, and a lot of people were getting caught up on that.

nope i wvw constantly and am in gold league. the que problem stops at tc and all 4 servers who have que problems have only themselves to blame.

in WvW

Posted by: nickiehu.1674

nickiehu.1674

I don’t get ppl telling stuff like you did.
Only because some self-proclaimed community-superleaders made guilds come to their server, e.g. giving them money, you don’t have to tell the rest of them it’s there fault, that they have to queue for hours.
I stand in line for 2h and more, but I didn’t want ppl come to my server – we had a nice wvw before season and before these guys came. I don’t even care about achievement or season rewards, I just want my pre-season-status-quo back. But thanks to reducing transfercosts by ArenaNet that will not go in the near future. My only hope is, that we will suck in the season, so the ppl, who came here because of they thought, they can get hold of an easy earned finisher and rewards, just go back where they come from or go to the server they think can get this reward the next time.
I want ppl, telling us to change the server, imagine it WOULD BE there problem, what would you do? If you like your community, your guild, have friends there and queue that are hourslong?!

(edited by nickiehu.1674)

in WvW

Posted by: codiac.5642

codiac.5642

“we need some time from a very specialized type of programmer” … Seriously?

For each map, have a list for each server, with the current players on that map. Have a matching queue for each server for players from that server wanting to get in to that map. When a player leaves a map, remove them from the servers list, move the first player from the queue for that server to the list for that server.

It’s simple code, an intern can do it.

If there is supposed to be something magical in the current approach then disable it until one of the “special programmers” has time to fix it, because having broken magic is a lot worse than having a basic feature that is reliable if boring.

HOD since beta

in WvW

Posted by: heathdeg.1603

heathdeg.1603

I brought this game so that I can WvW, but the queue is ridiculously long that it’s almost not being able to get into any borderland. Now that they are not gonna to fix this anytime soon I should consider that this product is lemon and can I request a refund for that. I know that it might sound ridiculous but considering that I already paid for it and yet I can’t play shouldn’t they do something about it and shouldn’t this be at the top of their priority to fix.

People might say that I am not paying any sub fee for it but mind you, I have already paid for a copy for this game and which I can’t play. I really wonder what Anet priority is. They area really behaving like an Ahole from a customer standpoint. What’s the point of having living worlds update every other week when there are more important stuff to fix?

in WvW

Posted by: Coolmoos.8546

Coolmoos.8546

TL;DR: WvW queues are bugged so they do not work like queues are supposed to work (i.e. first in, first out). This is an unfair system for resolving who gets in, especially since everyone thinks we are waiting in a “queue” because the game tells us so. At a minimum, the developers should change the text so we know that this is not how the system works, since it is a false statement.

This has been broken since launch and will not be fixed for several months. I don’t feel like this issue has received enough attention. I hope that by bringing more attention to this, we can get something done about it sooner, even if it’s an intermediate fix.

…(continued in next post)…

Whats a queue? I’m on NSP I don’t know of those….

Atriese 80 Thief – Os Guild [Os] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Veron.8645

Whats a queue? I’m on NSP I don’t know of those….

That is not a helpful comment in any way. If you don’t have anything constructive to say, please don’t comment. And you should not blame us, because many of us have been on these servers since launch and this is certainly not our fault.

The fact of the matter is, because of server transfers and bandwagoning and whatever other reasons, a large portion of the population is stuck on a couple of servers. This issue affects a lot of people – possibly the majority of players who want to WvW since apparently all of you other servers don’t even have any “queues”.

It’s crazy that a system that affects so many people hasn’t operated on a first in, first out basis for over a year, and won’t be fixed for several more months. It would be really nice if the developers could find some easier intermediate fixes, like post a work-around to ensure you don’t break your queue status. Last night, I spent 2 hours waiting to get into EB. Then I logged out, logged back in, requeued, and got in after 3 minutes. My guildies who were queued the whole time still didn’t get in.

(edited by Veron.8645)