Dishonorable and Honorable players

in WvW

Posted by: Senjun.8149

Senjun.8149

Dishonorable players are people who….
-run from a fair fight but turn around when the odds turn in their favor
- will laugh at you after beating you even if you put up a valiant effort in your fight
- will interupt duels
- use and abuse the flavor of the month meta without any kind of custom twist to it
-laugh/mock you after beating you while they outnumbered you but would turn down any 1 on 1 offer

Honorable players are people who…
-fight to the death in a 1 on 1
-don’t interupt 1 on 1’s even if it isn’t a duel as long as the fight is on fair grounds (not against an upleveled)
-never laugh or mock anyone who doesn’t flat out deserve it
-Sometimes fight without running even against the odds
-Uses a build not straight off of google that you came up with on your own or at least has some custom twist to it so it isn’t exactly by the book and has noticeable difference
-may choose not to stomp someone or may choose to /salute or /bow to someone who offered an interesting battle.

(edited by Senjun.8149)

in WvW

Posted by: ykyk.2740

ykyk.2740

All servers other than mine are dishonorable, my server is 100% honorable /productive thread

in WvW

Posted by: Evernessince.8035

Evernessince.8035

This should be titled "warrior’s code’ as your rules basically state that every thief, mesmer, and necro are dishonorable. Although most warriors run just the same when they are losing.

The fact is there is no honor on the battlefield. People will do what they want because they can, deal with it. I nor anyone else is required to indulge you in a 1 on 1, and should use anything to their advantage.

I want to crush the enemy’s spirit, not hold their hands.

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

The actions of some should never determine the honor of many, all servers have their “cool kids”.

in WvW

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

All is fair in love and war.

/thread

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

I just don’t understand why anyone would want to be, or take pride in being, one of a hoard rather than the outnumbered hero braving the odds.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/129659/3267513-vlcsnap-2013-08-26-13h48m23s52.png

Why are you proud to be one of the guys on the right?

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Senjun.8149

I never said i was on any sides by the way. Sometimes im the dishonorable one especially when i lose stacks and need to get them back and rampage.

I just don’t understand why anyone would want to, or take pride in, being one of a hoard rather than the outnumbered hero braving the odds.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/129659/3267513-vlcsnap-2013-08-26-13h48m23s52.png

but more often than not this is basically me on the left after chasing someone who wanted to initiated the fight then try and slip out to their friends.

in WvW

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

There are no heroes. There is no honor. This is war.
Your job is to do whatever it takes to make your world win.

Someone who mocks you after beating you is not dishonorable, he’s just a jerk.

BTW, if you want to duel, go pvp. Don’t take a slot that somebody more productive might need.

(edited by Zanshin.5379)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

There are no heroes. There is no honor. This is war.
Your job is to do whatever it takes to make your world win.

Lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Ocelot.6053

Ocelot.6053

OP, not all builds are designed for 1v1 duels. I don’t think you can reasonably begrudge (or label as “dishonorable”) someone who plays a support oriented build from running from a 1v1.

At the end of the day though, it is simulated warfare so really anything goes. To play devil’s advocate for a moment, even the in game taunts could be considered psychological warfare, and therefore a valid extension of conventional tactics.

in WvW

Posted by: roostergoblin.2801

roostergoblin.2801

This should be titled "warrior’s code’ as your rules basically state that every thief, mesmer, and necro are dishonorable. Although most warriors run just the same when they are losing.

The fact is there is no honor on the battlefield. People will do what they want because they can, deal with it. I nor anyone else is required to indulge you in a 1 on 1, and should use anything to their advantage.

I want to crush the enemy’s spirit, not hold their hands.

IDK I got backstabbed by 3 guys at once and they sat there laughing the insult on top of the injury is where it becomes dishonorable

I just don’t understand why anyone would want to be, or take pride in being, one of a hoard rather than the outnumbered hero braving the odds.

because when there’s AOE and auto-targeting it’s stupid to be the guy on the left

Fort Aspenwood
[XIII] Disciples of Catastrophe, [Flip] Black Market Lions
level 80 Thief (Vincent Nightshadow)

(edited by roostergoblin.2801)

in WvW

Posted by: Arcuss.6457

Arcuss.6457

Your definition of honorable doesn’t necessarily reflect others. Everyone will run when the odds are not in their favor, and there is no dishonor in that. Dueling in WvW is always stupid. Red is Dead, and i will always help my teammate.

in WvW

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

I would say the only dishonorable people are the ones who use cheat via exploits, third party programs and/or purpose sabatoge another servers resources (man power, supply, VOIP).

[DONE]

in WvW

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

While levelling my new guardian char i was level 30 in lvl 20 gear getting the poi’s in my home bl.
3 fully 80 roamers saw me and pursued/attacked me as i ran from my starting gate all the way up the road towards the centaur area (rather out of the way) i didn’t attack just healed and blocked yet they still followed me for a full 5 mins as i dodged, used the landscape and walked (gah guardians are slow) my way there before finally staking me just before the camp poi.
Then they got eaten by a map zerg that was passing and detoured to res me.
i bumped into the lone survivor who was hiding behind a rock as i resimed my way to the centaurs and rather than 1v1 he just circled me warily then speed bailed away from my rather wussy char.
People will do some crazy weird stuff and pursue you over half a map just because. Its a game, people have no need for any form of good behaviour.

in WvW

Posted by: Hairwinz.1403

Hairwinz.1403

I do see a lot of people laugh (undeniably including myself though not all the time) when downing thieves. Probably because the way permanent stealth thieves play which most people view (other than the thieves themselves) as cowardly. However it’s part of the warfare. The more you demoralise your opponents, the better. But there are a lot of instances that in a very fair fight, you wanna extend a congratulatory hand to your opponent, something that we can’t also do.

in WvW

Posted by: nideovinja.2543

nideovinja.2543

In my experience there are two kinds of people in WvW, the dishonorable and the dead.

in WvW

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

It’s kinda sad to see the responses in this thread. I’m a roamer, and I play WvW for the joy of fighting skillful fights. If I’m in a 1v1, I do not want any help from my ’server-mates’. I want the fight to end in a fair manner, regardless of me losing or not.

I can respect people playing sorely for points. I’ll not man their trebs, control their arrow carts or in any way sabotage their chances of winning, and I expect them to show me the same courtesy. By interrupting my 1v1, you’re interrupting my fun for your own selfish purpose.

And don’t give me that; "Go to sPvP". I do (did) play a lot of sPvP, but sometimes, the thrill of being outmanned, ganking people or picking off stranglers in a zerg, is much more satisfying than dealing with whatever imbalances that currently plague sPvP.

To answer OPs question, the most honorable server I’ve played against is Gandara, and the least honorable, is Abbaddons Mouth.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

I would say the only dishonorable people are the ones who use cheat via exploits, third party programs and/or purpose sabatoge another servers resources (man power, supply, VOIP).

Why?

I mean, if all’s fair in love and war, as people here are saying, why is sabotage or hacking any less honourable than ganking a lone guy with 20?

Because it’s against the rules? That’s not honour, that’s just looking after yourself. That’s like saying the reason you don’t burn babies alive is because you might go to prison.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I have never seen any dishonourable player on any of the servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

- will laugh at you after beating you even if you put up a valiant effort in your fight
- will interupt duels
- use and abuse the flavor of the month meta without any kind of custom twist to it
-laugh/mock you after beating you while they outnumbered you but would turn down any 1 on 1 offer

It’s war. Of course you can run from a “fair” fight. Because the goal is to win – especially in WvW where there are longer ways to walk and armor repair cost. sPvP it is different. Laughing is also good. Valid strategy to make the enemy rage… maybe some will quit then. Good if some annoying roamers try to kill your Dolyaks. And of course you will interrupt duels then – makes no sense to watch. You help kill the enemy = you help your server. Not helping = traitor and helping the enemy. It’s good to help kill the enemy. Then /laugh – maybe he will be kitten ed then because you laughed… and stop coming.

But still the most fun is if they camp you at spawn and then accidentally some run into legendary defenders. Lol. Of course you also laugh here – they have repair cost while you are outnumbered and can just fight then and lure them back to the legendary defenders if they are stupid enough.

-don’t interupt 1 on 1’s even if it isn’t a duel as long as the fight is on fair grounds (not against an upleveled)
-Uses a build not straight off of google that you came up with on your own or at least has some custom twist to it so it isn’t exactly by the book and has noticeable difference
-may choose not to stomp someone or may choose to /salute or /bow to someone who offered an interesting battle.

Honorable players are playing sPvP on a Custom Arena passworded so only 2 can duel there and no one else can play. All other game modes it is intended to kill the enemy as efficiently as possible.

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Cheating or exploiting is dishonarable. This weekend I saw some AM guild repeatedly try to get into woodhaven through the bug on the open side. And build a cata for the watergate for bay. No honor there.

in WvW

Posted by: Sakurai.5749

Sakurai.5749

For me, 20 man fighting against me and jumping on my body when I am downed as if they are so proud of it, is something dishonorable.

in WvW

Posted by: Ocelot.6053

Ocelot.6053

Why?

I mean, if all’s fair in love and war, as people here are saying, why is sabotage or hacking any less honourable than ganking a lone guy with 20?

Because it’s against the rules? That’s not honour, that’s just looking after yourself. That’s like saying the reason you don’t burn babies alive is because you might go to prison.

Because those are not part of the intended mechanics of the game/simulation and might also be a violation of the EULA, (not to mention illegal in some cases). For the record, I would also consider realm spying to be cheating as well for the same reasons.

Ganking, taunts, camping, etc. All those are part of the simulated war as anet as designed it, and fair game regardless of what I personally think of those actions.

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

There is no honor without corpses being jumped.

Mag Server Leader

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I’m just curious in all of your opinions based on experience, which server has the most dishonorable players? And which one has the most honorable players? No rating your own server.

- will interupt duels

Can’t really get behind your definitions at all.

Re: FOTM. So what. People can insist that I where PVT armor, don’t take supply from a keep, etc. But can’t give advice about the best build?

How is the FOTM build anything other than the current best practice in the ever shifting nerf / buff landscape.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

in WvW

Posted by: Winzzy.9435

Winzzy.9435

Whenever I 2v1 or more an enemy I always kneel and salute them for fighting against the odds.

in WvW

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Honourable or stupid?

If you are losing a fight, then it is your duty to your server to deny the stomp to the enemy by retreating.

I don’t understand the mentality of getting owned by a far superior player then thinking ’ ohh he’s beating me but it’s ok i’ll stay here and let him kill me’ ?

Fighting to the death is all well and good irl but no-one will remember you in songs or stories in GWs.

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

in WvW

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

This is more like, “which server has more of the players I like a d less of the players I hate.”

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

in WvW

Posted by: robocafaz.9017

robocafaz.9017

When I roam I try to play honorably:
– Don’t attack uplevels.
– Don’t attack people who are clearly don’t want to fight (gathering, trying to get to their karma train, etcetera.)
– Don’t jump into an even fight (unless the enemy tries to stomp.)
– /invite or /join people to tell them ‘good fight’ if the situation allows for it.
– Try to warn enemy roamers when a zerg is inbound.

… but more often that not it just gets me zerged down, killed, or insulted. I should really stop trying to be nice and start being a jerkface.

Deany Kong – #magswag
Head Deany Kong of Deany and the Kongs [Kong]
http://www.youtube.com/user/RoboCafaz

in WvW

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Why?

Because those are not part of the intended mechanics of the game/simulation and might also be a violation of the EULA, (not to mention illegal in some cases). For the record, I would also consider realm spying to be cheating as well for the same reasons.

Ganking, taunts, camping, etc. All those are part of the simulated war as anet as designed it, and fair game regardless of what I personally think of those actions.

Don’t compare it to actual warfare then. There’s no rules in a real war, so by your comparison, there’s no rules in WvW either. Besides, emotes were not created to be used as a weapon in "psychological warfare", that’s kittened.

It’s ridiculous at best to compare WvW with a real war. And if you do, at least stick with it. All or nothing. Don’t create artificial exceptions in your comparison in order to further prove your point. Two can play that game.

We’re all playing a game. Most of us play to have fun. If your interpretation of fun is simulating a real war, fine - I won’t judge. If my interpretation of fun is simulating 300, a SWAT team or alike, you should accept that (It’s not, but it should paint you a picture of ’few against many’ aka. roaming).

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

(edited by Adian.8756)

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

For me, anything in wvw is fine as long as it doesn’t involve illegal activities (DDoS), exploiting or spawn camping.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: sofired.6071

sofired.6071

A lot of the dislikes OP describes are probably dependent on his profession andwhat he likes to do in WVW – the enemy doesnt have to play by his own self-imposed rules of engagement that suit him.

I can agree on the laughing thing especially after being steamrollered by some mega-zerg but thats just kitteny perhaps – I dont think honour comes into WVW much, its a simple kill/be killed/run away for most people.

WSR – GW2’s #1 ranked server that starts with a W.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Dishonorable players are people who:
- use healing signet, longbow or mace
- use stealth
- use clones
- play thief
- use melandru or perplexity runes
- use other girly 1 vs 1 specs

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Dishonorable players are people who:
- use healing signet, longbow or mace
- use stealth
- use clones
- play thief
- use melandru or perplexity runes
- use other girly 1 vs 1 specs

You forgot play better than me. Those guys are soooo dishonorable. They must be cheating.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in WvW

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I often laugh at people using FotM builds and lose badly when they weren’t supposed to lose to a build like mine.
I often throw ballistas on SA Thieves’ corpses.
I often run from a Perplexity Engi or a PU Mesmer.
I never stomp if the fight I just had entertained me.
I never stomp the last downed guy in a outnumbered fight.
I never kill upleveleds unless they chase me for 30s straight (and I will not stomp them after downing them).
I am the author of all my builds, but some of them could still be considered “FotM” because the game has been out for so long that all viable builds have been discovered already.
I never run away from a 1v1 unless I see other opponents incoming during a balanced fight.
I always stop fighting if I see a servermate joining and interrupting the duel, and if my opponent manages to down my servermate I will not interrupt the stomp.

So, am I dishonorable or honorable?

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in WvW

Posted by: Caroline.4987

Caroline.4987

A lot of the dislikes OP describes are probably dependent on his profession andwhat he likes to do in WVW – the enemy doesnt have to play by his own self-imposed rules of engagement that suit him.

I can agree on the laughing thing especially after being steamrollered by some mega-zerg but thats just kitteny perhaps – I dont think honour comes into WVW much, its a simple kill/be killed/run away for most people.

I’ve seen the situation where unexplained laughing/emoting by someone in a megablob turns out to be because your small group had just run over the guy when he/she was roaming solo an hour or two ago. Repeatedly.

People remember stuff like that, y’know. =S Hell, for players with more noticeable Silver and Gold ranks and distinct outfits, you could be remembered by people you kitten off for days.

TBH, I think people stick to honourable play depending on their mood. Some days, I’ll ignore a duel…and some days, I’m way too much in a hurry to bother going out of my way, if they’re between my zerg and an important destination.

Brynnhylde – Norn Warrior, Jehanette – Human Guardian, Shaelynne – Human Engineer
TrZ | Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I play by the honorable rules on my thief, posters. Not all thieves are 12 year old trolls who are afraid to die. The only 1v1 I’ll ever turn down is one against an MM Necro, and they’re just flat cheesy and thieves have very little instant condition removal.

in WvW

Posted by: azurerogue.9240

azurerogue.9240

I never kill upleveleds unless they chase me for 30s straight (and I will not stomp them after downing them).

Neither. You’re losing potential Bloodlust points for your server, though.

in WvW

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

i am a thief thus i am dishonorable by default
it doesn’t matter how i fight, what i use etc. lol

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

Most players are going to have the attitude that if it’s red, it’s dead. Particularly newer players that are desperate for a piece of a kill. I agree it’s a really kitten poor attitude to laugh and corpse hump over bodies when it was 1vX, or they tried to put up a good fight. It makes newer players more inclined to zerg if they feel humiliated going out on their own, which ostensibly roamers want more players roaming.

Personally I have taken to not stomping players who fight unless it happens to be on top of an objective ring and there’s no choice, unless it was a really good fight and it’s just a sentry. It doesn’t matter in the big picture; kills are worth maybe 1.5s on average and you can get hundreds, if not a thousand or more running in a guild group zerg busting in the same time it takes to get less than ten quality fights solo roaming.

in WvW

Posted by: Rigel.3092

Rigel.3092

There is little doubt that what one perceives as honorable and dishonorable is different from how another may perceive the two. I appreciate YOUR interpretation of the two but quite frankly, in ‘war’, there is no such thing as honorable and dishonorable – you win by any and all means necessary.

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

Have to disagree with OP view of honorable/dishonorable. Far as I am concerned the only dishonorable people are the cheaters/hackers. Claiming someone is dishonorable because they don’t fight the way you want them to seems a bit silly to me.

As far as the sad sad people who emote over dead bodies, 2 things to remember. First, simply turn off emotes in your WvW chat window (did that months ago). Second, think about how sad the people are that are doing what you describe and feel pity for them

in WvW

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

I agree with a lot people people saying the only thing “dishonorable” is cheating.
Everything is just all part of wvw.

Everything that everyone does benefits their server to make them that much stronger. I saw someone mention that they won’t attack someone gathering or upleveled probably going to their karma train, and I say, why not? Why should I let them gain profit to get stronger? What if they come back and their the one with that bit of new armor or power to make a difference between losing a keep or tower for your server to lose a matchup?
Why should I let those pvers live in the jumping puzzle to donate their siege to take out my tower that I just upgraded?

Yea I’m one of those, see red names , must kill kill kill lol, and that’s y I love wvw, to be the cause of nerd rage

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

I see some dishonorable actions at times. 3 servers of wildly disparate coverage and populations get matched up and the #2 focuses on #3 exclusively can be seen as somewhat dishonorable and even cravenly.

A server with a “community warchest” offering to pay for transfers of a guild that has NOT expressed interest in moving is also mildly dishonorable.

Other than exploiting or hacking there is little that an individual can do to be dishonorable.

in WvW

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

WvW isn’t pistols at dawn. I can’t very well be expected to question everyone I come across as to whether they’d rather ‘honorably’ fight their own private battles or if they want me to jump in and help. If you don’t want your duels interrupted, head to the windmill or spvp.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

in WvW

Posted by: Brando.1374

Brando.1374

I approve this list.

Xxkakarot [GF] Good Fights
Dark Wizard Incar [GF] Good Fights
http://www.twitch.tv/xxkakarot

in WvW

Senjun.8149

I often laugh at people using FotM builds and lose badly when they weren’t supposed to lose to a build like mine.
I often throw ballistas on SA Thieves’ corpses.
I often run from a Perplexity Engi or a PU Mesmer.
I am the author of all my builds, but some of them could still be considered “FotM” because the game has been out for so long that all viable builds have been discovered already.
I never run away from a 1v1 unless I see other opponents incoming during a balanced fight.
I always stop fighting if I see a servermate joining and interrupting the duel, and if my opponent manages to down my servermate I will not interrupt the stomp.

I’d say honorable considering more than likely the only people you run from as explained, aren’t using their own builds but rather someone elses that they saw in action and looked up. Also when it’s all tallied together you are a respectful player.

I was going to add honorable players don’t go out of their way to kill uplevels as i see alot of players ignore me on my uplevel and it’s kind of a “that must be someone looking for a challenge and not a loot bag” sort of feeling, respectable, but also uplevels can’t expect to be untouchable so IMO thats fair game although i often avoid attacking any uplevels who don’t attack me first, why waste my cooldowns? I’m an ele i can’t afford a 50 seconds cd on my knockdown trying to kill an uplevel running away when i could use it to defend myself against the backstab thief coming my way. That can offer me a half decent fight.

(edited by Senjun.8149)

in WvW

Senjun.8149

When I roam I try to play honorably:
– Don’t attack uplevels.
– Don’t attack people who are clearly don’t want to fight (gathering, trying to get to their karma train, etcetera.)
– Don’t jump into an even fight (unless the enemy tries to stomp.)
– /invite or /join people to tell them ‘good fight’ if the situation allows for it.
– Try to warn enemy roamers when a zerg is inbound.

… but more often that not it just gets me zerged down, killed, or insulted. I should really stop trying to be nice and start being a jerkface.

I got like this before and i thought being mean was just how everyone was, then i was mean to a player who is just like you and i felt bad for it, they just wanted to compliment me on my exceptional build. Needless to say I don’t jump to conclusions anymore, everyone gets a /salute or /bow for a 1 on 1, even if they would of danced on me if i lost.

Honorable players are few in number as seen in this thread but they are out there.

in WvW

Posted by: sofired.6071

sofired.6071

I forgot to mention the only time I wont attack someone is if they’re doing a JP, anything else is fair game.

WSR – GW2’s #1 ranked server that starts with a W.

in WvW

Posted by: Winespring Brother.2970

Winespring Brother.2970

That uplevel that you let by could be joining a zerg out to cap your towers and camps. If it’s red, it’s dead. *

• Exception: I don’t pick fights in the jumping puzzles or outlying “mercenary” camps in the borderlands where the skill points are – live and let live there, I say.
Yak’s Bend
Charr Ranger of the Iron Legion