Do you donate to make REAL commanders?

in WvW

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

I see lots of bad commanders on my server who bought the icon with Chinese gold. Do you ever donate to the people who should really have the icon on your server?

in WvW

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

I paid 50 gold and the rest by purchasing gems to sell.

Frankly, only those who really want it get much use out of it. Even then there are days when its just a trouble magnet.

I think that those who view it as some sort of “vanity tag” are very soon turning it off and never thinking about it again.

in WvW

Posted by: Saint Scarlet.2906

Saint Scarlet.2906

On our server we’re lucky as we only have a few bad commanders(most people know who they are now so never listen to them), the rest are mostly guild bought so they know their stuff. I personally bought my own after being repeatedly told to buy one from the people i play with coz they wanted to know where i was and it helped to focus people. I have donated to a couple of others who i felt needed a badge because they were commanding without one already and doing a great job, but can do much better with the badge. It’s a confidence thing more than anything, if people see a blue badge on the map they feel more like there’s someone in charge.

Commander Oracle Of Glint
Executed [EXE]
Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

depends on the guild, I had 100% of my tag paid for lol

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

in WvW

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

i havent yet but if i got word the right people were working on their dorito id help them out

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in WvW

Posted by: Zynthetic.2954

Zynthetic.2954

We’ve had numerous reputable commanders get their icon from gold donated to them here on TC. Additionally, I’ve only seen two commanders I’d deem terrible, and both never reappeared in WvW a second time (thankfully).

For me, the only true bad commanders are the ones that refuse to learn and/or take advice, especially from seasoned commanders.

That being said, any new commander can tag along with more experienced commanders to learn, or check out the wealth of knowledge the internet has. I’m sure every server would have a WvW guide of some sort by now on their private forums.

….. Then again anet did leak TC’s guide on twitter. GJ guys. /facepalm

Tarnished Coast - Principality of New Katulus [PiNK]
Commander Zynergise – 80 Hammer Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Catinka.5476

Catinka.5476

Yeah I would donate if I knew the person would make a good commander if I’m not broke that is. I got 2 commander tags, first one I saved up for and second one I used the gold I saved for my legendary plus some donations I got from people.

in WvW

Posted by: obastable.5231

obastable.5231

I see lots of bad commanders on my server who bought the icon with Chinese gold. Do you ever donate to the people who should really have the icon on your server?

yes.

and we suffer from this affliction on henge, too.

Hello Kitty Krewe
“Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare!”

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

My tag was from donations. But if my guild was going to do that, I wasn’t going to not help and put up some of my own assets for it. It helps us for when we have more on a map than fit in a single party. I’d certainly help out for my guild.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Burntb.7392

Burntb.7392

I have donated towards a commander tag but more to the point, I do & we all should donate towards the upkeep of the good commanders that spend a fortune on siege & upgrades.

On a side note, ET recently lost a great tactical commander due to the trolling of a few.
Those few trolls have hurt ET! It’s time to wake up & support the commanders we have left!

Eredon Terrace is my Home!

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

chinese gold ? do you not get banned from getting gold transferred for as low as 20gold ? lol..

100g is easy farm these days….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Rawnoodles.1398

Rawnoodles.1398

Good question.

I was one of the founding commanders on Jade Quarry for NA and about 90% of my pin was from donations at the time. After spending many hours running and expanding a guild of 400+ intl members and cropping over a dozen new hopefuls commanders, I’ve noticed those that just want the pin without lack of work tend to abuse it.

Its great to run around with a pin but you need to know what your doing. Back around release date, everything was new so it wasn’t so displeasing but nowadays people need to come in with a good sense of judgment, response, and responsibility regardless of the forces they have behind their back, especially in a T1 server.

What I also come to see is some commanders need to be realistic. Most commanders think when they get a pin, they will have an unyielding support of followers but the fact are they need to establish leadership and build their repertoire through time, patience and work.

To many times I’ve seen commanders buy pins, get frustrated for a few days and just drop the whole thing all together. Good commanders are those that don’t have rely on a silly icon to get people under their wing. Besides, many of the top guilds I’ve seen run directly under a solo target & route just as well with the use of a VOIP.

To be frank, I donate to those that can voluntarily put up the work without asking for the whole package. Allot of people abuse it for status nowadays.

Rawnoodles | Mini Noodles
[ESOL] -Elite Solidarity| Driver|
" Latest Video "

(edited by Rawnoodles.1398)

in WvW

Posted by: Tekyn.5376

Tekyn.5376

+1 to my fellow GoM’er ARM.

Respect is earned not purchased. ArenaNet, fix the commander system or remove it from the game.

“I feel like I’m getting trolled here. Good day sir.”
- John Smith, ArenaNet in-house economist

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I never donate to commanders. I have my own private stash of siege that I can use at my whim.

Too many times I’ve seen people donate to even “real” commanders. Then the next day it’s ‘Cya guys. Going to another server!’ and taking the siege with them.

in WvW

Posted by: Burntb.7392

Burntb.7392

I never donate to commanders. I have my own private stash of siege that I can use at my whim.

Too many times I’ve seen people donate to even “real” commanders. Then the next day it’s ‘Cya guys. Going to another server!’ and taking the siege with them.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying but one does get to know those that are in for the long haul.

I also carry a personal stash of siege & do upgrades but I also see the need to help those commanders that are spending their own hard earned gold upgrading keeps, towers & camps each & every day.

Eredon Terrace is my Home!

in WvW

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

If a fellow can’t make 100 gold on their own in time through playing for a commander tag they are lacking in fundamental skills and patience needed to play the game to begin with. I will not buy Joe Bob a tag. He can earn it himself to prove worth or he can forget it. Earning that tag is one step along the way in earning enough respect from peers to be followed by others. However, on servers where commanders are expected to bring and place siege I will donate to help a respected commander buy it as the coin demands can become outrageous preventing a good soldier from taking the field for days because of the need to farm. I’ve observed some go through 8 to 10 gold a night and thats rough on one guy.

in WvW

ARM.3912

chinese gold ? do you not get banned from getting gold transferred for as low as 20gold ? lol..

100g is easy farm these days….

WvW players know 100 gold doesn’t drop from trees. My question wasn’t really for PvE’rs. Thanks anyway though sport!

in WvW

Posted by: wish.3102

wish.3102

I found a Dusk in WvW off a random invader, bought myself 2 tags. /win

Jade Quarry. RNG/THF/GRD/WAR
SovietSpaceDogs[SSD]

in WvW

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

What is chinese gold?

in WvW

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

What is chinese gold?

Another kind of fool’s gold.

in WvW

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

Loan maybe, 100g really isn’t much anymore.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

in WvW

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I paid for my tag with my own money because my guild is PvX and most don’t really care about WvW. That said, when I tag-on in WvW, I strive with all of my being to make the best possible choices, listen to players, and take / defend points in a fashion that best suits what we need at any given time. It would’ve been great to be in a guild that cared about my being commander and helped me out with it, but that’s just sort of how it goes.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in WvW

Posted by: Sororita.3465

Sororita.3465

Praise be thine thread, o’ great lord ARM!

It is sung aloud that a commander tag would only cheapen your holiness but nay it is only offering we can beseech onto you, an offering i fear, that is too small to properly honor your greatness.

We are all humbled….

Commander Starlight Honeybuns[BUNS]
Timelord to Lillium Honeybuns, IoJ
Forever together, or not at all.

in WvW

ARM.3912

Praise be thine thread, o’ great lord ARM!

It is sung aloud that a commander tag would only cheapen your holiness but nay it is only offering we can beseech onto you, an offering i fear, that is too small to properly honor your greatness.

We are all humbled….

ARM

in WvW

Posted by: SilencedScream.2167

SilencedScream.2167

100% out of my own pocket.

I do believe that they should require badges as well, though. It’s rather stupid that people can purchase without any previous experience in WvW, though. There are a LOT of commanders on HoD that 1.) aren’t good and 2.) never in WvW in the first place.

That said, it’s rather easy to find which know their stuff and are dependable.

Henge of Denravi – [SAS]
Duct Tape Applied [Charr Ranger]
A Roll Of Duct Tape [Human Guardian, Commander]

in WvW

Posted by: Ripkord.7025

Ripkord.7025

I donate a lot to one commander who leads people (mostly pugs) really good. I usually give to him/her 90% of my blueprints and sometime gold. But i know that he/she plays dedicated w3 for our server and for me he/she keeps our w3 on his shoulders.
And this is not even big price because I have a lot of fun in w3 thanks to him/her

Zloby, a nice necro from Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I’d rather donate to us winning by buying upgrades. But it’s become such a flip-for-wxp meta-game now. It’s silly. I offer golems to the rich guys who make omegas all the time for us.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2