Downed State - can we stomp it for a week?

in WvW

Posted by: Punter.7648

Punter.7648

Please can we have one week without downed state in WvW as a trial? It may lead to a WvW revolution where tactics pay off for smaller groups.

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

The game/damage/etc. is designed around downed state. Small groups would probably just turn into packs of Thieves/Mesmers bursting targets down and disappearing until a group was dead. Is that skill? I’m hesitant to call it that.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

The game/damage/etc. is designed around downed state. Small groups would probably just turn into packs of Thieves/Mesmers bursting targets down and disappearing until a group was dead. Is that skill? I’m hesitant to call it that.

Only apply instant down when you have been damaged by n>2 characters.
> solved. Took me all of 3 seconds. Next 4-years-in-the-making WvW dilemma?

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

how would that solve anything Cogbyrn said in his/her post? You’re going to get bursted by a small group of thieves/mesmers. Group generally means 3 or more.

in WvW

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

how would that solve anything Cogbyrn said in his/her post? You’re going to get bursted by a small group of thieves/mesmers. Group generally means 3 or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inequality_%28mathematics%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N#Other_uses

in WvW

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

I don’t think you know how burst Mesmers/Thieves work in the power creep universe that is WvW. And you just added a layer of complexity that requires logic to try to determine how many unique entities provided damage on the person, which is a layer that just won’t be deemed worthy of development effort. Simply turning it off is a solution that might in a crazy off chance have been tested somewhere, sometime. Your solution is no solution at all, really. It wouldn’t even help small groups, because if they call a target, odds are 3+ people will hit that target, at the very least with incidental AoE. So downed state will still persist, and this “we had fewer people but destroyed a bunch of scrubs” mentality still won’t benefit.

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Instant kill from stealth is such a revolutionary tactic.

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Please can we have one week without downed state in WvW as a trial? It may lead to a WvW revolution where tactics pay off for smaller groups.

I like downed state, but I don’t like “rally from player death” state.

If they could keep downed state but remove the rally I would like that.

‘Rallying on player death’ is one of the last remaining ‘anti-social’ aspects of GW2.

It makes groups really dislike less skilled players running and fighting alongside with them.

in WvW

Posted by: Zoel.9154

Zoel.9154

‘Rallying on player death’ is one of the last remaining ‘anti-social’ aspects of GW2.

It makes groups really dislike less skilled players running and fighting alongside with them.

It has zero effect on that. Elitist players are elitist regardless of what mechanics are in the game. This is true even at the Rock Paper Scissors world championship. That’s why the rules say you can’t throw rock in someone’s face.

The rally mechanic makes it more fun for larger groups to fight each other, and it gives less skilled players a chance to stay in a fight by temporarily becoming the focus of a fight instead of just dying at the start of a lot of engagements. There’s plenty of ways a perfectly competent person can mismanage enemy downs.

For smaller GvG style groups they generally just set up something private anyway; that wouldn’t change by removing the rally mechanic.

Zoel – GM of [coVn]

in WvW

Posted by: Aseus.6403

Aseus.6403

It has zero effect on that. Elitist players are elitist regardless of what mechanics are in the game. This is true even at the Rock Paper Scissors world championship. That’s why the rules say you can’t throw rock in someone’s face.

The rally mechanic makes it more fun for larger groups to fight each other, and it gives less skilled players a chance to stay in a fight by temporarily becoming the focus of a fight instead of just dying at the start of a lot of engagements. There’s plenty of ways a perfectly competent person can mismanage enemy downs.

For smaller GvG style groups they generally just set up something private anyway; that wouldn’t change by removing the rally mechanic.

As one of those elitist players I can definitely say that the rally mechanic does ruin fights, quite often. If you want to troll a guild, either open field or in a GvG, all you need to do is make sure you get tapped during the fight, and make sure you die when the opposing side has a clump of downed players and they will all rally. The number of times an open field fight has been decided for or against us because some idiot rallied a large group of players, intentionally or unintentionally, is absurd. If the rally mechanic was removed we would be much more friendly towards players who want to follow us when we are raiding in WvW.

The downed state could be completely removed from WvW and it would not be missed by players who prefer to play solo, as a roaming/havoc group, or in a standard sized GvG raid group of ~25. The only players who would miss it are the ones who blob, who arguably ruin the quality of WvW as a whole since any semblance of both individual skill and team play can be completely absent within those groups and they can still be successful in terms of winning fights and collecting rewards.

Also, if the downed state were to be removed from WvW and you let a small gank squad systematically pick apart your whole group which is presumably much larger, you should probably go back to PvE.

Syndictive [Syn]