Dsrt BL hate thread # 1 million

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

AN can you find a way to give 90% or w/e playerbase a reason to play desert BL.

It’s true NA/EU kill death stats are posted on reddit every week and almost nobody plays this map.

There is a very minor vocal community that enjoys this map so I think it maybe a good idea to keep it.

Here is my suggestions.
. Remove all of the shrines

. Each keeps jump pads baseline

. 33% movement speed is baseline for the entire map.

. Remove Fire Keep Teleporting, Replace it with

.Invulnerable Fall damage Baseline

.Baseline invulnerable Fall damage from Air Keep

.Baseline Invulnerable fall damage for Garrison.

.Delete or reduce the number of all the PVE creatures on the map.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I think desert BL is a good example of Anet being flexible and willing to listen to the player base.

While not everyone likes the desert BL, some do. And allowing for a mix of alphine and desert is a great move.

Personally I don’t like it for playing WvW but I think its great for taking beautiful sand themed screenshots.

I hope the possible upcoming desert themed maps in the expansion is as beautiful as the original desert bl with all the lush oasis in the middle of the map.

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

in WvW

Posted by: ThunderPanda.1872

ThunderPanda.1872

Try HoT map without gliders or mushrooms, that’s what DBL feels like. Thanks for addressing the gimmicks, but please also look into the verticality that is atrocious to play on without gliders or mushrooms. And those towers (especially north) that are so isolated, not only is it a pain to run to it to defend, it serves absolutely no strategic purposes beside free karma.

Send me 1000g and I will stop trolling WvW forum.
I have a dream – Our Anet Senpai will make WvW Great Again!
WvW Forum is more competitive than WvW

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

desert bl is good if you wanna cap keeps and towers that are undefended. plz delete it

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

desert bl is great but wp’s are just too far away. More WP’s or mounts needed.

in WvW

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

My server had Desert borderlands as home for 2 weeks now and it finaly saw some play from pug commanders. Let me tell you, that they just don’t know the map and are always, ALWAYS taking the long way.

Oh i’m at north shrine, i want to go to south and we have all 3 of them, goes though the keep!??!?!?! WTF take the new travel mechanic.

People not knowing you can aproach earth keep from south since like May last year and still going basicly to eather of the shrines or even to the side towers.

Having lava and not using it. Having windfall and going down the stairs. Having launch pads and not using them to basicly skip half the obstacles on the way.

As a smaller group you can quite easily evade a pug blob as opposed to alpine when you just get rolled over or chased around the whole map.

Pretty much only thing still wrong with this borderland is fear on firelord and that freaking circle on windlord, i kinda like earth lords effects, except for when it creates inner ring of stone and spins.

Btw, your ideas OP are kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Reset night and disappointment example.

“Oh god…we are DBL this week”
-Every single person in Teamspeak.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Reset night and disappointment example.

“Oh god…we are DBL this week”
-Every single person in Teamspeak.

It would be interesting to know the player percentage for each map at reset.

Also it would be nice to see how reset DBL population compares to map kill stats.

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

My server had Desert borderlands as home for 2 weeks now and it finaly saw some play from pug commanders. Let me tell you, that they just don’t know the map and are always, ALWAYS taking the long way.

Oh i’m at north shrine, i want to go to south and we have all 3 of them, goes though the keep!??!?!?! WTF take the new travel mechanic.

People not knowing you can aproach earth keep from south since like May last year and still going basicly to eather of the shrines or even to the side towers.

Having lava and not using it. Having windfall and going down the stairs. Having launch pads and not using them to basicly skip half the obstacles on the way.

As a smaller group you can quite easily evade a pug blob as opposed to alpine when you just get rolled over or chased around the whole map.

Pretty much only thing still wrong with this borderland is fear on firelord and that freaking circle on windlord, i kinda like earth lords effects, except for when it creates inner ring of stone and spins.

Btw, your ideas OP are kitten.

Totally agree with your points, but I don’t mind firelord as much as I hate necro lord lol [I just wanted to try see if I could solo him]. Finding all the ways to travel on the map does make you wonder why people don’t even bother trying to find it or are still annoyed with it. It’s like they refuse to give it a chance despite the changes, but it really is a great map once you learn it. Granted, if you are against blob servers and you are red bl and get air, fire, earth and shrines taken all the time I could see why they might get frustrated, but that frustration would be for any bl if you get blobbed 24/7 anyway. On the server I am on we try to hold on to what close community we have left and try to motivate each other and help when we can through all maps – I know some only like eb, some only like alpine, and some only dbl but they all come through when help is needed. If you can find people like this [not directed at you, just everyone in general that hate xx map] maybe it will take your mind off so that you just concentrate on fighting the enemy instead of focusing hate on that particular map. For me the maps are the least of the problem really, it’s the population imbalance I feel is a bigger problem that leads to demotivation/no comms tagging up etc. I see this snowball effect time and time again regardless of what map is given.

(edited by DemonSeed.3528)

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Great valid points there Demonseed and SloRules. +100

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yeah ANet has really made a lot of good changes to the map, hay bales are another really good addition that lets you get down off the cliffs easier. The new launch pads for getting around the shrines are great, the changes to earth keep removing many of the outer barriers and AoE cripple was good.

The only 2 things I can really complain about desert Borderlands now is:
1. The towers/keeps are too spread out offering not a lot of strategy to having them.
2. It is far too big a map so even with large numbers of players it still feels a little too empty.

If they could reduce the height and width by 15-25% and make towers more of a stepping stone to the keep so an enemy force having a tower is a threat again then it would be better than alpine imo.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

Hay bales are too small. Ezio got an entire cart of hay to land in….

in WvW

Posted by: Samug.6512

Samug.6512

Hello. I like desert border. Please, don’t delete it.
Thanks!

in WvW

Posted by: DemonSeed.3528

DemonSeed.3528

Hay bales are too small. Ezio got an entire cart of hay to land in….

Not too long ago I was jumping off the cliff near Bauer to that hay bale below and someone jumped just after I did. I hit exactly in the middle of the bale but due to lag it did this weird “slide” forward (your character remains in the falling prone position) but only after I hit the ground and I insta died lol. The guy that jumped after me actually landed way off center from me and did not die, and he was also shocked that I died. Funny what lag can do hehe.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Either way it becomes so much better when all 3 servers just bend over and accept the fact that DBL is kitten and focus their populations on 2 ABL rather than 3 maps. Scoring will forever be kittened up but what are you gonna to. Flipping T3 on DBL is the new PPT shame.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

desert bl is great but wp’s are just too far away. More WP’s or mounts needed.

Next patchnotes

• As requested by the community we added a Wooden Potato gathering node in DBL
R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

Some of the best fights I have been involved in are on the DBL. I realize some people hate running back to the group, but really if you know the shortcuts it is no big deal. Just watch your back!

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I liked the wps better when they were in towers.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

Yeah ANet has really made a lot of good changes to the map, hay bales are another really good addition that lets you get down off the cliffs easier. The new launch pads for getting around the shrines are great, the changes to earth keep removing many of the outer barriers and AoE cripple was good.

1. The towers/keeps are too spread out offering not a lot of strategy to having them.
2. It is far too big a map so even with large numbers of players it still feels a little too empty.

The third and biggest issue with DBL is that it doesn’t lend itself to zerg vs zerg encounters. It’s even worse when ZvZ happens at the lord’s room.

DBL is great for roamers, havoc, ktrain but not open field ZvZ fights because there’s so little open spaces for most of the map, especially around the keeps.

in WvW

ThunderPanda.1872

The third and biggest issue with DBL is that it doesn’t lend itself to zerg vs zerg encounters. It’s even worse when ZvZ happens at the lord’s room.

DBL is great for roamers, havoc, ktrain but not open field ZvZ fights because there’s so little open spaces for most of the map, especially around the keeps.

And heaps of hills and stairs when a significant amount of skills in this game don’t work properly on it.

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

I have to preface this: I dislike all 1v1v1 map designs they all end up roughly the same effective playable layout: triangle or donut (actually doughnut).

On principal, the OP suggested to remove the mechanics that make this particular map unique and baseline for conveniences. Normally, I am against this and would say no.

BUT…ANET chose the home borderland layout (i.e. supposedly to enable a 1v2 ish scenarios) they’re doomed when it comes to adding/removing unique mechanics. Mainly because the home borderland layout is replicated onto potentially 3 maps instead of 1 for the sake of balance. These maps are not equilateral making the impact of special mechanics disrupt the balance between all 3.

Had they abandoned the home borderland idea, and went with equilateral maps (or just 1v1) it’d be much easier for me to be against removing game mechanics. Since they didn’t. I don’t care either way.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

And heaps of hills and stairs when a significant amount of skills in this game don’t work properly on it.

I have more obstructed on abl flat terrain then the wobbly terrain dbl has.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

ThunderPanda.1872

I have more obstructed on abl flat terrain then the wobbly terrain dbl has.

You’re right, I forgot people don’t play as much dbl.

But seriously, I’m talking about some teleport skills, ground casting stuff, and most leaps, and it just happens dbl has an excess of stairs and steep terrain in comparison.

in WvW

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

As a dbl hater, I don’t mind going dbl since the changes. Kudos to the devs that listened and made the changes, Anet have done alot with this map to make it more playable and I do like the variety of being able to wvw somewhere different. But that is not to say dbl doesn’t still have issues.

Perhaps, if the frustrations with terrain that result in many failed teleports, ground casts and leaps could be fixed??? Game skills should work consistently.
Additional spawn mechanic or wps would be a very nice addition as it’s too easy to make the exisiting contested which results in a very long walk for defenders.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

This isn’t always a bad thing, I mean if you want to fight as a big group vs another big group there’s a guild arena or OS for that. There’s also massive amounts of open space on DBL so the only reason I can see for this to be an issue is if your group goes to a tower and attacks it then waits for the enemy zerg to come and fights them outside.

I personally think terrain awareness is a vital and crucial part to strategy and so my personal opinion is it’s a BS excuse and why I didn’t include it in the list of my complaints.

in WvW

Posted by: KrHome.1920

KrHome.1920

I love DBL.

It’s like an “Open PvE” Mode.

Alpine Borderlands is the worst (most boring) map in the whole game.

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Honestly I suspect the people who love the DBL like to K-train and avoid all fights,

The DBL is to big for this game, it would be ideal if the map could have 200v200v200 players, then maybe, but as the game engine would likely explode the lag that it would generate would be felt in Cursed Shore,

Hopefully if they do make a new map with the new expansion it wont be so big, it will also promote more open field battles, im thinking of a capture the flag style thing, where your team has to be on x point to get points, where no siege can be placed, thus promoting open field battles.

in WvW

Posted by: SloRules.3560

SloRules.3560

Honestly I suspect the people who love the DBL like to K-train and avoid all fights,

The DBL is to big for this game, it would be ideal if the map could have 200v200v200 players, then maybe, but as the game engine would likely explode the lag that it would generate would be felt in Cursed Shore,

Hopefully if they do make a new map with the new expansion it wont be so big, it will also promote more open field battles, im thinking of a capture the flag style thing, where your team has to be on x point to get points, where no siege can be placed, thus promoting open field battles.

How does it promote k-training, realy is there any argument that you can make to back that asumption.
Even siege cant be put into a tower to attack a keep which forces the attacker to put it out in the open, but can also put it in uncounterable positions so that defender has to come out of the keep to defend it or lose a wall.

Biggest problem is that there is no goal to WvW, which means that easiest manners will be taken(blobs). You just have to Split up to cover the whole map, which makes me Wonder if you arent the one that likes k-training.

Fyi i stop playing as soon as there is lag, which can be 50v50 with current levels of condi spam.

Like stated in my previous post, atleast try the map before critisizing

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

u tryed? and leaned how to navigate on the map with the shortcuts map offer, the timming diference from DBL to APBL navigations isnt that much.

Still game could be better, i do like the map but it doest fit in the ktrain game wich is all that WvW has to offer
But that might be a lack of mechanics and poor gameplay the gw2 offers at best that is conflicting with the map disposal, add the WvW zero goals, ppt is a placebo and servers are ment to ktrain each other with difere2nt timezones, every one farms and reduces lag…

About lag, it will get worse with the more condi spamming Anet is addding to the game lol… reason WvW will never get better.~

The DBL map layout it looks like it was ment for guild/groups take care of their structures wich is the thing that doesnt matter in this game, all that matters is to try to cap faster than other servers do, having more structures only increase players HP pool (wich needs to be removed) and ppt wich Anet needs to end with it and make something else, besides that structures are worthless.

Still for a company that transformed guild in chat rooms channels and failled to introduce guild halls, i think they are pretty good at creating fake mechanics, alot of players have been falling for this staleness as progress and inovative.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

The change to have a single DBL in a match was the right move. I hate it when its our home BL but its the price I’m willing to pay to keep the few people who like it happy.

SBI

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

The change to have a single DBL in a match was the right move. I hate it when its our home BL but its the price I’m willing to pay to keep the few people who like it happy.

still to much… i do like DBL more than the ktrain maps, but there quite a few things that needs tobe adressed on the DBL…
Anet needs to change how WvW works overall… but i fear they dont have the vision for that

those huge puzle keeps and very bugged that u can just walk into by climbing a rock, spawn and the camp under it should be swapped…

this is one of the issues of the fire keep design

Attachments:

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

still to much… i do like DBL more than the ktrain maps, but there quite a few things that needs tobe adressed on the DBL…

those huge puzle keeps and very bugged that u can just walk into by climbing a rock, spawn and the camp under it should be swapped…

What issue are you referring to? Also, what keep can you walk into by climbing a rock?

P.S. In that screenshot, some one is calling out an SoS thief harassing Firekeep. Pretty sure that was me <3

in WvW

Aeolus.3615

What issue are you referring to? Also, what keep can you walk into by climbing a rock?

P.S. In that screenshot, some one is calling out an SoS thief harassing Firekeep. Pretty sure that was me <3

ive got infracted by posting that on the forum already 2 times, last time i did that was a few months ago im gona try to do it again and send u a pm.

: the 2 ways to enter in earth keep look fixed, im printing my last comment on paper and taking it has desert after dinner

u where the thief?, i was like there is a zerg on north of the keep why are people talking about a thief…?
if u see a white guardian with Spirit Weapons its me probably, im the only SW user aprentely :|

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

Ugh, DBL is horrible when you need to get around or to a callout. For solo or duo it’s especially bad. You definitely have to pick your fights better, since it takes a good while to get back to a fight. It’s a lot better than it was when it first dropped, for sure, but it still needs work.

People have given some excellent ideas. Like trying gliding in DBL to see how that helps. My suggestion to get people on the map is to have a Rumble style event every so often(couple hrs?)to replace the Megalaser area in the middle of the map. Announce on all the maps when it will start. Have a cap on the amount of players from each server in the middle area. Each server could start in a corner and when it starts, they all go at it till one side is left. It could possible be fun seeing alliances build and form and break apart between servers. Winners could get some basic junk but with chance at Ascended chests or a WvW currency used to buy Ascended chests and other hard to come by stuff for non-PvEers . The losers get maybe a lesser chance or a smaller amt of the currency or a buff like the Outnumbered buff for example. Buff strength depending on how bad they lost and/or number of people logged in for that server when the Rumble or King of The Hill or whatever it could be called starts. If tweaked out by a few experienced WvWers and that could be a really fun event, forcing people to get better at open field fighting. If you go out of bounds, you can’t go back in. Maybe even a deathmatch style one person takes all. Fighting is what is keeping the game alive for most of the veterans, not PPTing an empty borderland a large portion of the players don’t enjoy even entering. I’m not sure if it’s most of the players that really dislike it, but the word on the borderlands seem to say is it’s junk.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

I like solo / small group roaming on it if there are waypoints on all the keeps – see dot on sentry, waypoint and go fight them.

If there are no waypoints, it’s more like – see dot, contemplate running for 10 minutes to try and intercept them somewhere, decide not to. Alt-F4 and go play something else.

in WvW

Posted by: DaVid Darksoul.4985

DaVid Darksoul.4985

I am one of those that like the DBL, my problem with it has always been the size of the Towers. This could be solved with an extra supply depot. Oh and also the weakness of Garri’s Lord, I successfully soloed it my first time. Other Keep Lord.,s are ok but were much better at release time, in fact I would love to see the DBL reverted to it’s first release stateincluding the Laser. You would think players would embrace the change-up instead of the same old maps, their complaints are why Anet created it. If a new map is made I hope it is at least as large as DBL, Alpine starts to feel claustrophobic after awhile. Also would like to see outposts (smaller Towers) worked into the map.

WAR Platinum Necro, HoD BL roamer/defender. Solo Keep/Tower capper.

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

How does it promote k-training, realy is there any argument that you can make to back that asumption.
Even siege cant be put into a tower to attack a keep which forces the attacker to put it out in the open, but can also put it in uncounterable positions so that defender has to come out of the keep to defend it or lose a wall.

Biggest problem is that there is no goal to WvW, which means that easiest manners will be taken(blobs). You just have to Split up to cover the whole map, which makes me Wonder if you arent the one that likes k-training.

Fyi i stop playing as soon as there is lag, which can be 50v50 with current levels of condi spam.

Like stated in my previous post, atleast try the map before critisizing

Since very few players play it, it’s a map that players go to ktrain on. That map makes it easier to ktrain by making towers and keeps harder to defend.

There are more gates and destructible walls than normal structures. The structures are also much bigger making it more difficult to counter with siege. It also takes a lot longer to run from point a to point b to defend something than other maps.

Another thing is the terrain and the size of the objectives makes it easyer to sneak around undetected unlike other maps. in a normal tower or keep it takes a few seconds to figure out what wall of gate is being hit. On this map it might take u several minutes. All of these points I made together make the map promote ktraining.

In the orginal incarnation of the map we had things like the mega laser which only purpose was to promote ktraining and have a cheese tactic to make it a PPT map.

Last with the shrines, and all of the veteran creatures events, the number of objectives is like twice as many as a normal map making it a easy map to just run around and cap things.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in WvW

Posted by: Threather.9354

Threather.9354

Make it a neutral map, put all the starting wps in the middle of the map, blue closest to air keep, red closest to Garri and green closest to fire keep. Also its easier to find fights with the starting wps being closer to each other

This will solve the distance issue easily and make it more like EB.

Now what can we do about 1 server not having home map? Well they can just lose the matchup, or add another alpine so guilds have more than 2 maps to raid on (eu, i know na guilds raid on eb)

Haha its prolly a dumb idea but if they really insist to keep the map, they might as well make it a complete joke as it is already.

Diamond Rank Copyrights [CR]
EU Roamer, Dueler, Commander, Fighter, Scout

(edited by Threather.9354)

in WvW

Posted by: DevilishLyx.2340

DevilishLyx.2340

Hello. I like desert border. Please, don’t delete it.
Thanks!

Out of all the comments asking AN to remove the Deserted BL, this is the comment they will listen to.

in WvW

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

• fights are better because the keeps and objectives are farther away / larger so it’s more difficult for players to retreat to a tower or keep like they do in ebg/abl.
  • however, it takes so long to get anywhere and there are so many cliffs to accidentally fall off or get stuck on, people tend to avoid the map.

IMO it needs some one-way teleports, like free fast-travels to mid for all servers or something.

in WvW

Posted by: monded.7016

monded.7016

Al u guys conplain about ure karma train cant move fast treu border and ure blobs when the lose a figt cant geth the dead poeple fast enough back on tag pls stop saying kitten abou desert borderland cause ure not good enoug to actelie play on it

in WvW

Blockhead Magee.3092

Al u guys conplain about ure karma train cant move fast treu border and ure blobs when the lose a figt cant geth the dead poeple fast enough back on tag pls stop saying kitten abou desert borderland cause ure not good enoug to actelie play on it

Ouch, that’s tough to read.

You make false equivalencies and misguided conclusions.

As a roamer, I despise the DBL. Its not fun. Its not pleasant to look at. Red dots all die the same as they do in ABL, but at least there I enjoy the ambiance of dead thieves. In the DBL, dead thieves sort of get hidden in the blowing sand.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Different people go to WvW for different reasons. People who prefer DBL have one map like it. People who dislike it can avoid it and still have three maps to go to and do whatever suits their fancy. The fact that the vote kept DBL alive suggests that enough of those who voted voted for DBL to justify the current situation. While I am not opposed to changing DBL a bit to address reasonable concerns, I am opposed to removing it entirely.

in WvW

Posted by: monded.7016

monded.7016

So as a roamer u dont like there allot of wats to escape from a zerg? Allot waus range precure jump see enemies coming to a camp? That u can litterly let a zerg chase u true the map? pretty pls explain how and why wuld roamer hate that map?

in WvW

Blockhead Magee.3092

So as a roamer u dont like there allot of wats to escape from a zerg? Allot waus range precure jump see enemies coming to a camp? That u can litterly let a zerg chase u true the map? pretty pls explain how and why wuld roamer hate that map?

I already explained why I hate the map.

I still don’t want it removed. Let those who like it stay on it. Just don’t assume that someone who doesn’t like is a K-Training zergling.

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Just don’t assume that someone who doesn’t like is a K-Training zergling.

As long as that same respect goes both ways =P