Dueling etiquette in WvW

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I’ve had enemy players camp our return path to the keep in order to route reinforcements. In truth I don’t always know who is a duelist or not and after being taken out a few times like that you get jumpy and do what’s natural when someone has a red tag over their head.

I’m not trying to argue, I’m just stating examples from some of my experiences. I have also stood back and let duels happen but honestly it made me uncomfortable and question my judgement for not coming to the aid of a teammate.

Another time I happened upon a duel a guildie was engaged in, and after they explained to me what was going on I then felt obligated to police interference for them.

So in essence duels are putting some of us in awkward positions.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

there is obsidian sanctum or behind south camp on bl to duel, if myself and the people i fight with encounter you not in one of those spots likelyhood is you get killed.

anet gave you an arena in obsidian sanctum, use it.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

It’s interesting the different views between NA and EU players on this.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

Here’s what I like to do for soloing.

Look at enemy BL’s, see who has a port established in Garri and move to that BL.
Camp out running between NE & NW ruins and watch for people jumping down from Garri.
Profit.

There are plenty of fights to be had, some are meh because it’s a person who isn’t built for a solo fight but on the whole I usually find some decent fights. There is lots of wiggle or run for your life room when a zerg or larger party shows up. Taking the ruins usually provokes people to at least come take a look. Get a mysterious tonic, the plant one, you would be amazed at how many groups run right by you as long as you don’t use it in the middle of the road.

I don’t know why more roamers (solo’s mostly) don’t use the ruins more often. It’s a great place to have some quiet fights with less chance of interruption. If you get bored practice some rotations and what not on the nubs running back to their precious zerg.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: DevJD.5483

DevJD.5483

People should stop raging….yes SM is a ridiculous spot for a 1v1…. Go do it somewhere that make’s scense. To ppl saying 1v1 shiuldint even be in wvw is basically telling 80% of roamers they are useless….just stop, its called quality over quantity.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

People should stop raging….yes SM is a ridiculous spot for a 1v1…. Go do it somewhere that make’s scense. To ppl saying 1v1 shiuldint even be in wvw is basically telling 80% of roamers they are useless….just stop, its called quality over quantity.

Roaming =\= standing around waiting for a duel. Roaming = capping camps, towers, killing yaks, tapping keeps, killing gankers and making scouting calls.. That is what the vast majority of roamers do, and that is contributing. Sitting in a party with the enemy player standing around fighting occasionally or ignoring everything happening on the map is not even remotely the same thing. LOL

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yea no offense but saying that is pretty insulting to pretty much every roamer ever.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Roaming =\= standing around waiting for a duel. Roaming = capping camps, towers, killing yaks, tapping keeps, killing gankers and making scouting calls.. That is what the vast majority of roamers do, and that is contributing. Sitting in a party with the enemy player standing around fighting occasionally or ignoring everything happening on the map is not even remotely the same thing. LOL

Because, if you haven’t noticed, there are two types of styles of roaming. One is related to the PPT/Conquest style game and the other is pure open-world PvP. Most players coming from older MMOs expect the open-world PvP style. Both styles are valid (and WvW is the only place where one can get the open-world style). In my experience the PPT-related one is more often found in the higher tiers while the other is found in the lower tiers. The release of HoT will most likely separate the two, maybe to the detriment of WvW.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

i prefer to define roaming as moving around the map and killing random people

havoc as small group or full party going around capping camps, towers, killing yaks, tapping keep, trebbing keep while the main zerg is doing something big elsewhere.

as for dueling, u cant stop ppl from dueling and u also cant stop ppl from interrupting your duel so juz learn to live with it.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

My POV:
If you decide to fight someone from my server anywhere else than behind the SC windmill, you are a potential target, because I will help my fellow soldier. If you are near a camp or one of my precious dollies, waiting for someone to duel, expect to be attacked by the small group moving in. We want you off our land.

Right now we have Obsidian Sanctum too for people wanting to duel and we will have the arena in the GH when HoT comes out.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Chaba.5410

My POV:
you are a potential target, because I will help my fellow soldier.

And therein lies one of the issues. It is difficult for you to tell if your fellow soldier wants your help.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Wickedesigns.1287

Wickedesigns.1287

Dueling/Small Man fights are completely valid in the WvW zones BUT…

You’re in a pvp zone with hundreds of other people. Expecting every single person to adhere to arbitrary rules is pretty silly. If you don’t duel in a low traffic area you’re asking to get interrupted.

I’d really like them to add a dueling system (like in pve or cities) or 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 arena type gameplay.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: LetoII.3782

LetoII.3782

Duelling around SM is about exhibitionism.. Not only are they too cool for the game, they want you to notice them being too cool like 13 year old girls.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Michris.2513

Michris.2513

How hard would it be for Anet to create and implement a duelers tag that one could toggle off and on that could signify that they are in fact dueling. Then you could see the tags and pass on by and not interrupt the fun of others and not worry that you are letting an ally get ganked.

May all of your farts be dry.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Chaba.5410

How hard would it be for Anet to create and implement a duelers tag that one could toggle off and on that could signify that they are in fact dueling. Then you could see the tags and pass on by and not interrupt the fun of others and not worry that you are letting an ally get ganked.

I like that idea. Wonder if the LFG tag would work.

Chaba Tangnu

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

What about you just whisper/party those you want to duel and say “hey lets meet south of south camp/OS” or wherever on a border where no one ever sets foot unless they want to duel. Duelers happy getting no interuptions and roamers happy not getting flamed at interupting one next to a keep or supply route.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

None as i see it, player dont leave me alone if a mind platinum or something why should i leave them alone.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

I scout/build/upgrade for 8 hours a day.

Thirty minutes of that day I will try to find a nice duel — the purpose is not some bravado thing, it’s to improve my skillset. Most of the duellers have an unwritten code that you only down your partner, not kill — so you can get back up and learn from mistakes and try to improve. In my opinion, you can only get better in your class by duelling because you can identify the mistakes you’re making much easier, than if you mindlessly blob.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Chaba.5410

What about you just whisper/party those you want to duel and say “hey lets meet south of south camp/OS” or wherever on a border where no one ever sets foot unless they want to duel. Duelers happy getting no interuptions and roamers happy not getting flamed at interupting one next to a keep or supply route.

Nice in theory, difficult in practice. Like Jayne mentions, sometimes a player is playing wvw, not just hanging around to duel, when that rare roamer comes along and both start an impromptu fight. Some sort of tag to let allies know not to add-on to such fights would allow for communication that can’t always be given while fighting.

Chaba Tangnu

(edited by Chaba.5410)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

“I do what I want!” <—-best quote ever

Sincerly, Me.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

A visual flag to mark a duel would be insufficient and would only serve to attract trolls.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

(edited by lujate.5432)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Red = Dead

Go to os for duels or go to spvp custom or dueling server. Wvw is not the place for it. It’s world vs world vs world, not happy fun duel times.

That being said; if I can tell it’s a duel or know that someone from my server who is a dueler?duelist? Then I won’t interupt. If it’s a 2v1 I’ll jump in.

I don’t really condone it, but if I don’t have reason the intervene then I wont.

Smk is a dumb place to duel.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Hennet.1530

Hennet.1530

I don’t go out of my way to interrupt a duel but if I see red near me I murder it just wont go out of my way though.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

“Red is dead” is fine, just don’t cry if you jump in on a guy who’s at half health and you get staked in the new 1v1.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Roaming = Moving around map, scouting, taking things to help your server and looking to cause trouble.

Dueling = standing around waiting to get your fair 1v1 in a game mode that isn’t fair to begin with.

Lost count of how many times I tried to be friendly and pass by people dueling only to have the other enemies try to gank me while passing by. Most fail at ganking me but I succeed in making them find a better spot to duel at.

Not to mention most duelers are the first players to run around in groups and gank solo roamers. So a friendly from your server sees you near a group that most likely ganked them and comes to help but instead you trash talk your own server players when you duel in silly spots to begin with.

Saw it happen many of times. People even tell me to stop attacking some noob that just ganked me with 3 of his friends, danced on me, tossed siege on my body yet I finally find him alone but have to stop because he is running to duel a server mate.

PvP has your fair dueling game mode. Play the way you want to play as long as it is fun. If you duel in silly spots expect others to jump in. If you try to gank people passing by your duels expect to get ganked every single time you are seen.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Lach.7031

Lach.7031

Dueling in wvw… is that like wvw in spvp? If people have to duel in wvw then they will die. /cry more

Next thing you will want a “rainbow flag” to put down while you duel in peace in wvw lands.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Red is dead. Take it to Obsidian Sanctum.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: pug.4658

pug.4658

This is an interesting topic. I have often been running by duelers standing around to be attacked. I have also been chastised by my own server for not helping. Now I just try to kill everyone I see. When I get angry whispers about duel code I just laugh. Making up fake rules in a free for all is a pretty sad way to socially engineer your advantages by breaking said rules whenever you feel like it.

the only fair duel is between identical builds and prof with a third party saying go. Anything else is hilariously not fair. All the angry thieves that want to duel. Yes let’s start a fight where you have instant teleports, let’s start inside the range of those teleports. Let’s fight with no terrain. A person once told me they were going to report me for killing them while they were waiting for a duel. Comedy gold.

If people want to stand around smc and get killed that is perfectly fine by me. Complaining you were killed while standing around smc is a thinly veiled way to admit you made poor choices.

red = dead

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

For me the problem would be solved if there was an arena for it in the battlegrounds. That way I’d know “hey these guys are just dueling”. However I don’t want to see that take over and start messing with battle que times.

I’m in WvW to do just that, but I do get that some have friends on other servers or just want to sharpen their skills in 1v1.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Benevolence.8019

Benevolence.8019

Obsidian sanctum. Its a thing. Go duel there. If u aren’t in Obsidian sanctum and u get jumped in your duel its your own kitten fault.

I never go to obsidian sanctum so if i see someone red, I will attack. And if they wanna kitten about it i’ll happily explain how kittening dumb they are to expect anything else on an open wvw map.

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Stochastic.1398

Stochastic.1398

Allow dueling in other areas?

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

NBSI

(not blue – shoot it)

Dueling etiquette in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Nano.3706

Nano.3706

https://youtu.be/CXfuK6f7ORk

Just teach them by ganking to go Mill (@bl). Worked several times. Trinity is the highway for roaming and most stupid place for dueling.