Duo Roaming with a Thief

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

I’d say any class that demands more attention then the thief, if your friend’s a burster. I can see Guard, Warrior, Mesmer and Necro doing particularly well. That said it more depends on play style then class. Try usung your fav class and making builds that compliment each other, or have some basic tactics in mind.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: The Baws.5164

The Baws.5164

Yeah, I was thinking that too. He’s a burst thief so I was thinking I could go a tanky CC Guardian build and take most of the aggro while he does his stuff.

I don’t need like the best of the best, I’m only on a Tier 7 server… just looking for a combo that works really so we can have some fun.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

I would recommend Mesmer, actually. The problem with, for instance, a Guardian/Thief duo is that when the thief stealths, he forces focus fire onto the Guardian. With another stealthy class you both can stay hidden and strike cooperatively.
I cite one example below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpqP_AHb7p8

(edited by Requiem.8769)

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

The Thief is a very fast profession, so if you want to play Guardian, then Rune of the Traveler is a must have for you. Otherwise, the Thief will constantly have to wait for you to catch up, which isn’t very fun. I think Warrior or Ranger is a better choice, as these professions have good bunker options, and fast movement speed as well.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Griswold.2054

Griswold.2054

Stick to/Go thief. Thief is just unparalleled in wvw especially for roaming. You and your buddy will have some luxuries you can not dublicate on other classes (at least not that easy).
-No mobility differences and top mobility
-Thieves easily work very well together
-Resetting, you always can get away (just by yourself) and in addition can support each other in doing so, even if it is just shadow refuge
-You always pick your own fights
-Meeting a Zerg is no thread for you, quite the contrary, yo can harrass =)
-You can block a superior number of player because of your presence
-Possibility (rare but epic) of ninja’ing keeps especially since you’re in a duo, ofcourse high fail chance since you have to stay in the inner keep without being scouted for quite a time
-and so on…

If the basic permainvi/burst thief is not your thing try s/d thief, also very op in wvw, but due to stealth only on possible F1Steal and the optional shadowrefuge in comparisson stealthless.
Only reason you may die on s/d are other thieves who spec heavy burst and then most times since it is wvw and no 1on1 arena only the standard excuseses to die on a thief will kill you and your buddy: if you are caught unprepared on the run and with low hp, you overextended and/or you did not manage your CD’s correctly . But since your buddy is running a burst thief the biggest thread and s/d weakness is quite well covered due to counter bursting.

At the current state I honestly cannot advise to go anything BUT thief for wvw, except you like to zerg in wich case play what you like in pve (gvg is a different matter).
Go Thief + Thief and abuse the hell out of them. A draw is the closest to defeat you can get to.

(edited by Griswold.2054)

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

I’d say go with a tanky warrior build. You’ll have mobility that can keep up with him. What if things go bad and you have to bail? Unless you’re right next to eachother and he can stealth you, he could get away and you’d be left to die. Atleast with a warrior you’d have nearly equal mobility and can get the hell out if things go bad. Plus thieves are kind of squishy if they spec to be glassy bursters and you could spec to be a tanky shout healer which will be a lifesaver for him if he gets nailed by someone.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

The Baws.5164

I find Warrior extremely boring that’s the problem.

Thanks for the replies, I think I’ll just gear my Thief up and get an Engi for PvE or maybe a Guard.

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Engineer is a great complement to thief. If you take rocket boots and speedy kits you won’t have trouble keeping up with him. You can also build perplexity/condi or burst with Static-discharge to coordinate with him. You can also use each other’s stealth fields (smoke bomb and his smoke fields) to stealth up. All of your blast finishers can build up quite a bit of stealth.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

Go mesmer + thief or Thief + Thief

All is vain.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: maeggle.6021

maeggle.6021

Take whatever you want and work out the synergies for yourself. Really, there is no objective answer to your initial question of what works best together. Just play the class you like the way you like, communicate and develop strategies – That’s it.

If guardian and mobility is an issue for you, you may try a S+x/GS meditation build.

Kodash [DE] – Ninja Nurse Rescue Squad [care] – Elementalist
A landing you can walk away from just wasn’t fast enough.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Silinsar.6298

Silinsar.6298

Just don’t go double melee. One ranged + one melee is far harder to deal with than a dual melee setup, latter is easier to counter since both are kite-able and susceptible to AoE due to required “balling” when focusing on the same target.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

With the new “Sic ’Em” coming out, I’d main a Catsassin Ranger. Not only do you have access to a skill that reveals any target in stealth, but you’re extremely tanky, deal decent damage and have pretty solid condition pressure while your cat autoattacks for 2-6k.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Ghost.2079

Ghost.2079

Stick to/Go thief. Thief is just unparalleled in wvw especially for roaming. You and your buddy will have some luxuries you can not dublicate on other classes (at least not that easy).

Everything this guy said.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Fiddle Irk.9710

Fiddle Irk.9710

Here’s an idea, get your buddy to play somethin other than thief. We would all appreciate less of them xD!

(only semi-joking)

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

The Baws.5164

With the new “Sic ’Em” coming out, I’d main a Catsassin Ranger. Not only do you have access to a skill that reveals any target in stealth, but you’re extremely tanky, deal decent damage and have pretty solid condition pressure while your cat autoattacks for 2-6k.

What does this mean? I don’t really understand the “Sic ’Em” bit or the kittenin… :P

Immersed in Blood [TEA]
Drunken Alliance [DKAL]
Piken Square [EU]

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

What does this mean? I don’t really understand the “Sic ’Em” bit or the kittenin… :P

John Sharp posted a thread about the Oct 15 patch on the general board and it seems the Ranger Shout “Sick’Em” will now apply revealed to enemies.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

@OP

My fav to have in a duo roam is something tanky > another stealth class. Something like a tanky regen warrior would be optimal. I’ve never found myself in need of moar stealth on a thief. If you put two stealth classes together and don’t coordinate well you’ll wind up giving each other revealed unintentionally plus if one gets focused they’ll probably go down pretty quickly (although I guess you could use a kitten tanky thief and one high damage thief).

Everything this guy said.

Eng/mes disagree if you have other players involved. Thief is only unparalleled with scouting… ganking yaks… supply trapping… contesting keeps… players that turn into grazing cattle when faced with stealth… etc. In an actual fight against decent players… they aren’t the best 1v1 2v2 or XvX class.

Don’t even get me started on how kittened thieves are for larger group play when compared with those two either…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

When you roam with a thief and are yourself not a thief, everyone focuses you because targeting you is much easier than keeping target on the thief.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

When you roam with a thief and are yourself not a thief, everyone focuses you because targeting you is much easier than keeping target on the thief.

That’s why you play an anchor and let your thief friend burst them down :P

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

double phanta mesmers will dominate all da things. Or you can go spam a thief since its all you see when solo roaming

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Yeah, I was thinking that too. He’s a burst thief so I was thinking I could go a tanky CC Guardian build and take most of the aggro while he does his stuff.

I don’t need like the best of the best, I’m only on a Tier 7 server… just looking for a combo that works really so we can have some fun.

Actually tier 7 might be more competitive for 2v2 than a higher tier. I’m in tier 2 and we see mostly zerg fights.

To answer your question though, I’d say cc warrior or mesmer.

Duo Roaming with a Thief

in WvW

Posted by: MrFluffy.9307

MrFluffy.9307

I’d say bunker d/d ele. Provides enough support through protection/healing to make sure the thief can keep his burst going and is bunker enough to tank 1vX (because trust me as the thief you won’t be getting targeted nearly as much as the guy who can’t stealth lol)

Hi