EU + US Pairings?

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Hi All,

I wonder how different the results would have been if EU + NA Servers were combined together for the WvW ?

This would then result in 0 night capping – as it would be a 24×7 fight.

Something I think we all have wished for on a very long time is to be able to play with our EU Buddies in PVE/WvW – the barrier between the two groups is like the Berlin wall.
It served its purpose and would be great to see it come down.

A difference of 20ms or 100ms (connection lag) – it nothing when compared to the server lag (ANET Side) when in the big blob fights where only skill 1 works reliably.

If only.. I can dream.
This is the one thing I would have loved to see happen

Thanks,

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

Interesting idea, in ESO my ping EU was 97 my ping US was 400~. If the ping would be like this in gw2 i would have serious problems fullfilling my role in a guild zerg though…

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: hmsgoddess.3869

hmsgoddess.3869

Guild Wars 1 had channels to switch between there you could always play where ever you wanted just by switching channels. I do realize that isn’t really and option for WvW but seems to me something similar could be done.

~ Emma Vine Sixty Nine Shades Of [NUDE] – Crystal Desert

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

Interesting idea, in ESO my ping EU was 97 my ping US was 400~. If the ping would be like this in gw2 i would have serious problems fullfilling my role in a guild zerg though…

gw2 isn’t eso. I don’t have a clue where the eso servers are based or what my pings would be like there though.

what is your gw2 ping?
what is your ping to the other side of the pond?
I personally get reliably ~140ms going to NA servers.

edit: for pve & pvp, I would love being able to switch between EU and NA ‘districts’.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

(edited by Artemis Thuras.8795)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

Wouldn’t work to be honest. While the idea is nice and could make the game mode more lively all around the clock I doubt anyone would want to play with 350+ ms latency when they could be playing with 20-100 ms.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Jong.5937

Jong.5937

I posted something similar here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-04-28/page/2#post6127826

The question is how much of the increased latency from NA to EU and visa-versa is due to “physics”, i.e. (mostly) the speed of light and how much of it is avoidable if Anet funded and provided the cross-continental routing, instead of relying on ISP peering arrangements/routing.

And although it would almost certainly add a minimum of 150ms to the max delay (say, Moscow to a server farm on the East Coast of the USA) how much total lag is due to server processing and could investment in the servers more than compensate for the extra travel time?

Only Anet can find out, but it sure would help with nightcapping if there was one global league.

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

TPMN.1483

I agree Jong.. people could still connect to the local server – ANET just flips on the back-end which server people are actually routed to if its a NA Based one or EU One (dependant on time-zone).

For all purposes ANET is carrying the traffic across a routing between the data centres.. and individuals still connect to the local side. ANET does the routing on the back-end.

The ping differences then would not be large either… then its just a ‘client’ side – do I connect to EU or US server (as my primary connection).

I think on GW1 – all servers were US Based and we just got pointed to different NA Server instances on the back-end.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

tbh, its not even a case of “only anet can find out”.
We could just get the community to make f2p accounts and connect to the alternate continent and post the ping results.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jong.5937

tbh, its not even a case of “only anet can find out”.
We could just get the community to make f2p accounts and connect to the alternate continent and post the ping results.

No, that’s the point. People do that already but they are relying on their ISPs routing to the other continent. Only Anet can find out what the latency would be if they handled the cross-continental routing by buying it themselves, with guaranteed service levels, or whether they could compensate for any delay by speeding up their server processing (I added this bit later, so you may not have seen it!).

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

So, beside potential lag/ping/connection issues nobody has anything against the idea?

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: CrimeMaker.8612

CrimeMaker.8612

That would be really interesting and is probably easiest way to stop night capping and I have talked to a lot of guy who have played on EU and NA and they all said the ping is literally the same not much difference

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Pocket.2740

Pocket.2740

I would love this. I have an EU account (~40ms) and an NA account (~160ms) playing from London UK.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jong.5937

This chart gives some indication of what Anet could achieve if they had a managed service agreement to route traffic around the world: http://www.verizonenterprise.com/about/network/latency/

Realistically, probably about 100-150ms added latency from Central Europe to the west coast USA. But if they provided entry points to their network from around Europe, UK, France and Spain would probably only have an extra 70-100ms. Sounds manageable for an MMO to me, but whether that really matters or can be made not to matter by improvements on the servers probably only Anet know.

Here’s an article about what the competition are doing from a little over a year ago: http://www.wsj.com/articles/videogame-firms-power-up-networks-for-online-players-1422927189

Piken Square

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Lurock Turoth.9085

Lurock Turoth.9085

NA T1 servers have WAY better coverage than EU servers as most OCX and Sea players get better ping on NA servers. So no you wouldn’t have 24/7 fights, you would have EU and NA fights with nothing else.

Angst Hex, [FLOT] BG Havoc/Roaming
http://www.twitch.tv/disasterdrew

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Artemis Thuras.8795

How do you figure?
I’d expect anet to consolidate onto an NA server anyway.
OCX/SEA pings wouldn’t even factor into it.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

So, beside potential lag/ping/connection issues nobody has anything against the idea?

Depends on what the idea is exactly.

If anyone is suggesting that freshly paired NA servers be paired with freshly paired EU servers (cutting 30 servers down to 15) well, yeah, I have a problem with that.

If on the other hand the suggestion is hey, when this current merge beta is over and we go back to 24 NA servers, it’d be really cool to merge EU in. Well, yeah, I think someone somewhere would have a problem with that too.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

This won’t happen for technical reasons (our NA and EU datacenters are entirely separate.) Though even if it was technically possible, there’d still be design reasons to avoid doing so, like that EU national worlds wouldn’t have NA partners that spoke the same language.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

This won’t happen for technical reasons (our NA and EU datacenters are entirely separate.) Though even if it was technically possible, there’d still be design reasons to avoid doing so, like that EU national worlds wouldn’t have NA partners that spoke the same language.

True but almost on every EU server there are some English speaking commanders and most people do understand what they are saying

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Would be nice to try this idea out even for just a week just to see how it goes.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

NA-EU pairing beta?

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jong.5937

Spanish and French servers work this way already, just suffering lag. Spanish servers have a substantial South American community and probably North American too. French have Canadians. Germany is probably a problem, but shouldn’t stop all the rest of the world if this could really make the game 24×7.

And, honestly Tyler (thanks for chipping in btw), while, as we discussed, there may be technical reasons this can’t work the fact that there are currently 2 separate datacenters is hardly it. We know that and we know why, but at some point, if it’s technically possible, other games will be doing it! That article from the wsj shows people are working on it. Truly global esports will be a thing unless the laws of the universe stop it!

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Real. Life. Hero.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Only if they were hosted on the NA data centre, otherwise I’d skip WvW until it got changed back. 250 ping is enough of a disadvantage already

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Meh you don’t need to link servers, just link scores lol.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Virtual Worlds inside a game should be promoted as and designed to be melting pots. This is a 24/7 game mode and any location based division, language division, or nationalism, should not exist. Dividing the players ultimately hurts each world and the subsequent game mode overall. The technical barrier between EU and NA should not exist either. WvW should have been run on one data center only. It’s the logical choice for again, a 24/7 game mode.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

CrimeMaker.8612

Have the server located in the middle of the ocean and latency for all will be perfect

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

Virtual Worlds inside a game should be promoted as and designed to be melting pots. This is a 24/7 game mode and any location based division, language division, or nationalism, should not exist. Dividing the players ultimately hurts each world and the subsequent game mode overall. The technical barrier between EU and NA should not exist either. WvW should have been run on one data center only. It’s the logical choice for again, a 24/7 game mode.

no thanks i like my servers in frankfurt, i dont need a 100-200ping

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Then continue to enjoy poorly organized Worlds with unbalanced coverage. Btw, I’ve had an account on EU from the US and ping difference went mostly unnoticeable.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jong.5937

Have the server located in m middle of the ocean and latency for all will be perfect

lol! Seriously, people are looking at putting datacenters on the bottom of the sea – infinite free cooling! Probably not the middle of the Atlantic though, sadly.

Your perceived latency is a lot more than the raw ping time to Frankfurt You don’t know that they could not remove 100ms by investing in new server infrastructure, making the change invisible. It’s possible.

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

TPMN.1483

Funny thing Ping is irrelevant when 3 blobs collide…
All we can do is spam 1 – I’m sure you have all seen the ‘server side’ lag…it’s not the client side of 100-200ms which is going to kill you.

If all your ‘timeZone’ has roughly the same ping it’s no big deal.
If you are fighting people which has a large difference in ping 100msv1000ms then yes it makes a difference. This happens if some SEA/OCX fight EU or NA in WvW/PvP together (which is made less likely due to timeZone overlaps).

Before harping too much about OMG the ping it will kill me – create a F2P account on a US or EU server and try it. If you meet a big blob and things slow down – you’ll see your ping is steady and fine. The problem wil be you cannot use any skill but 1 in WvW due to server side lag. It’s all server side not client side.

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jong.5937

That is an OK test, but far from perfect. It would be much worse than a proper managed solution. The problem is ping is currently far from dependable when it depends randomly on how each packet gets from your PC to the transatalantic fibre and then down to the remote server. It can be not bad, it can be poor.

There is absolutely no doubt that if Anet positioned their servers in a datacenter on the fibre backbone somewhere “in the middle” (eg. Ireland or East Coast USA), bought entry points, with guaranteed service levels, to that backbone across the USA and Europe and then set the client to use the nearest entry point, the latency would be far reduced from what we mostly get now, if connecting from Europe to USA or visa-versa.

Of course, this may not be cheap! I understand that. But, if not Anet, a competitor will provide such a platform.

Piken Square

(edited by Jong.5937)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

I think some folks are missing the fine subtle hints from EU that they don’t want to play with NA

I would wager, nobody in EU gives a kitten about feeding the 24/7 NA machine. WvW is working well over there, even with gaps in coverage. It’s why there’s such a variety of matches.

(edited by Jayne.9251)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Weli.4568

Weli.4568

Spanish and French servers work this way already, just suffering lag. Spanish servers have a substantial South American community and probably North American too. French have Canadians. Germany is probably a problem, but shouldn’t stop all the rest of the world if this could really make the game 24×7.

And, honestly Tyler (thanks for chipping in btw), while, as we discussed, there may be technical reasons this can’t work the fact that there are currently 2 separate datacenters is hardly it. We know that and we know why, but at some point, if it’s technically possible, other games will be doing it! That article from the wsj shows people are working on it. Truly global esports will be a thing unless the laws of the universe stop it!

Aa the infamous French Canadians.

Scatter the Weak [WK], Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]
Desolation

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

True but almost on every EU server there are some English speaking commanders and most people do understand what they are saying

Define “Some” please….
In french servers, you’ll find maybe 1 or 2 commanders per server able to properly lead a zerg in English…. That’s not much at all !
Almost all commanders can write in /map their orders in English, but leading a zerg on TS in English is something completly different, espescially under pressure in TF.

I disagree…
A lot of players from the national server just don’t want to speak English in game. Anet told them the game was entirely playable in their language (french, german or spanish)…. If now English is mandatory to play WvW, these players could legitimately ask for a refund.

And for the data center…. yes it would belogical to have only one data center, but where ? In the middle of the Atlantic ?
People here are saying that it doesn’t really matter when it’s blob vs blob. Ok, maybe. But what about small fights ? roaming ? duels ?

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: The Ventari Ele.5812

The Ventari Ele.5812

Didnt stop the Chinese guilds from joining T1 NA instead of playing on their own GW2 servers.

We’ll release SAB, everybody loves SAB they wont notice the lack of other updates!

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: littlemunster.1059

littlemunster.1059

Didnt stop the Chinese guilds from joining T1 NA instead of playing on their own GW2 servers.

Their own? You mean the one that was launched in 2014 when these players already had an account? Also, many of them aren’t from mainland China where GW2 of China was released. The one released in mainland China is handle by different company KongZhong and probably has the “Great firewall”…

The BG Super Munster!

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: The Ventari Ele.5812

The Ventari Ele.5812

Even is they arent from mainland china, some of them still did not speak english.

Part of anet’s reason not to do this is because of the language barrier.
But this doesnt really matter, even on EU servers, half the zerg isnt on TS, so arent listening. How many commanders still type in team chat? Not many. Pugs just follow the tag, language doesnt come into it.

So the reason Tyler has given is mute. The rest they havent listed.

We’ll release SAB, everybody loves SAB they wont notice the lack of other updates!

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

The only problem here is ping and nothing else.
Unless they put some server in the midle of the ocean, either NA or EU will have huge ping delay compared to the other team.
As much as I would like to see that happen, it probbably never will.

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

EU + US Pairings?

in WvW

Jayne.9251

So the reason Tyler has given is mute. The rest they havent listed.

I think the word you’re looking for is “moot”.