End of the day - Closing time.

in WvW

Posted by: Alad QB.8904

Alad QB.8904

Devon Carver:

Right now our game […] overwhelmingly favors the last server to log out for the day.

I’m glad there is finally an official statement regarding this. Everyone knows this problem is especially related to players from different time zones playing while the locals are asleep, particularly across the Atlantic. The proper way to solve this problem is by recognizing, as the above quote from Devon Carver does, that there is a time for sleeping — an “end of the day”.

As such, WvW should close down at the end of the day, local time. European servers should close at night, European time (e.g. CET), for 9 hours, and so should the American servers, at their local time.

Edit:
I’m expanding here by adding further suggestions I made below in this thread, to clarify.

Here is a proposition that can go nicely with the night-closing WvW:

Divide the world time zones into 3 areas of approx 8 hours each, each closing at night, local time. If a player cannot but play WvW at night, they can choose to play either in the area to their west (where it is afternoon), or to their east (where it is morning).

For example:
Americas: UTC-10 to UTC-3 (Hawaii to Brazil)
EMEA: UTC-2 to UTC+4 (Mid-Atlantic to Oman/Western Russia)
Asia/Oceania: UTC+5 to UTC-11(+13) (Pakistan to New Zealand)

It is possible that French- and Spanish-speaking servers will have to be created in the Americas area (which makes perfect sense given the population), as well as English-speaking servers in Asia (I have no idea if GW2 already operates in Asia; most probably yes).

Here’s one last suggestion:
At night, the WvW maps become PvE. Players can train to play (against the guards and mobs), but gain no points.

There are other aspects of this suggestion that I find interesting. In sports, the opposing teams can talk to each other after the match. Congratulate each other. Learn from each other. Perhaps this can happen in WvW during the night…

(edited by Alad QB.8904)

in WvW

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

So you are suggesting that the GAME SHOULD TELL ME WHEN TO GET SLEEP? What is it, a game or my mother?. I hope you are kittening kidding me, I seriously hope.
Due to the way I roll, I can’t access the game much at all during day and I mainly play during night. If your retarted suggestion would be implemented, I would have to transfer to american server in order to play my game.
The correct way to “fix” night capping, (if you consider it an issue) is to alter the point gain in the following way:
potential points = normal potential points * (current wvw population / average wvw population of the week)

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

I disagree totally with the OP, I think a better solution would be;

Remove gold and karma costs for upgrades, keeping supply cost AND reset all structures to match starting condition every 6 hrs starting with match reset.

This would remove the problem of facing T3 structures during your timezone if the previous one is dominated.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: Kraken.7514

Kraken.7514

Op you may go to bed at 20:00 but it is 03:00 and me and many others are still awake and active.

That does not discard that a better system could reward points depending on the number of players on the maps at a given time.

But never close down the fun or score depending on the hour itself.

Sorry to say but your suggestion is selfish and absolute rubish.

Kraken – Guardian / Pretty Meris – Engineer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LGQJUaYDQD8

in WvW

Posted by: Uttar.2341

Uttar.2341

Preventing players from playing isn’t a solution.

The only solution is to:
- Separate PvE and WvW servers.
- Make every WvW server open for 6-8 hours a day.
- Allow every player to join multiple non-overlapping servers.

24/7 servers (edit: dedicated to a single region) is a nice marketing gimmick, but it has never proven itself to work in any MMORPG I’ve ever played. And I’ve played MMOs for the last 15+ years. I wish someone actually realised that for once…

EDIT: To clarify, the timespans for the servers themselves could overlap in theory. However, this may not be practical as if one server was perfectly timed for east coast primetime and another was perfectly timed for west coast primetime, then these servers could never face each other, and this would needlessly break up guilds.

What this does allow is for anyone who plays at any hour of the day to have fun fights and not just PvD. Players in other timezones (e.g. Oceanic) should actually be excited about this because it means they’ll effectively have their own servers that will be highly populated at these times (even if they may or may not remain hosted elsewhere and have high latency).

Another complexity is weekends where everyone is likely to play at different times than they do during the week. I think the most fun solution would be to split weekday and weekend servers and let everyone join one of both for every timespan.

I believe this would solve the population issue both between timezones and between tiers. Every timespan would have a dedicated ladder. Guilds could join multiple timespans or be dedicated to a single one. You may have to increase the guild limit to more than 5 for some people, but besides that, I have yet to hear any good argument against this.

Also, I’ve been a hobbyist game programmer myself, so ArenaNet, if you’d actually be willing to implement something like this – please let me know so I can send you my resume

(edited by Uttar.2341)

in WvW

Master of Timespace.2548

It might come as a shock for the op, but not everyone is trapped into that treadmill known as briefcase life. Some of the most dedicated WvWrs I know play almost exclusively at night.
What elkirin said is also a good suggestion.

24/7 servers is a nice marketing gimmick, but it has never proven itself to work in any MMORPG I’ve ever played.

It works just FINE in Eve online. The reason for this is that Eve isn’t meant to be a hello kitty world where everyone immeditately starts to cry when something is a little unfair . (Oh they they do, but in space nobody can hear you scream, har har!)

in WvW

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

When you attack a POS in Eve, it gets put into reinforced and the defender knows exactly when they need to be there to defend more than a day in advance.

Not even close to comparable to WvW in GW2.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in WvW

Master of Timespace.2548

When you attack a POS in Eve, it gets put into reinforced and the defender knows exactly when they need to be there to defend more than a day in advance.

Yes and it’s a good system. However, I was replying to this:

24/7 servers is a nice marketing gimmick, but it has never proven itself to work in any MMORPG I’ve ever played

in WvW

Uttar.2341

It works just FINE in Eve online. The reason for this is that Eve isn’t meant to be a hello kitty world where everyone immeditately starts to cry when something is a little unfair . (Oh they they do, but in space nobody can hear you scream, har har!)

I’ve never personally played EVE (which I somewhat regret) but I have friends who played it hardcore and I’ve discussed some of the mechanics with them.

AFAIK the main reasons why this works in EVE are:
1) Single server for NA/Europe. This allows nearly every timezone to be covered.
2) You know when you need to be there well in advance because POS defense isn’t instant.

So I’m sorry, I should have been more careful with my phrasing and said that “24/7 servers for specific regions” is a marketing gimmick. Not as catchy as my original statement but heh

Personally I wouldn’t have anything against NA/Europe using the same servers for WvW with a single global ladder. I think it might even fit my own playing times better and it could be a lot of fun (when I was a kid and played Ultima Online, I lived in Europe and played on an USA West Coast server, and was in turn part of a Korean then an American guild – fun times!)

However because WvW is inherently real-time, Point 2 wouldn’t apply, and you’d still have a problem. Some timezones would inherently be much lower population than others (e.g. european morning which is also american night).

By separating servers by timespan, you can simply have as many servers as necessary for every timezone so that every match-up is always perfectly balanced, and you wouldn’t have either population holes during weekdays or huge queues during weekends. While it’s a more complex solution than global servers, I think it’s also a better one.

(edited by Uttar.2341)

in WvW

Posted by: bleach.9074

bleach.9074

That’s when you have a thousand players show up and crash the node.

[XSV] SMASH!

in WvW

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Yes and it’s a good system. However, I was replying to this:

24/7 servers is a nice marketing gimmick, but it has never proven itself to work in any MMORPG I’ve ever played

Eve isn’t 24/7 warfare. It can occur at any time, but it’s ultimately a tiny window.

That’s when you have a thousand players show up and crash the node.

Now we just get TIDI and take 5 hours for a 30 minute fight with people outside the TIDI effect having all day to rally and reinforce.

Attachments:

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

Well, another solution would be to prohibit WvW play across time zones of more than, say 3-4 hours, based on IP location compared to the WvW server local time.

24/7 for PvE is fine, but doesn’t make any sense for player matches if the other team is asleep.

It would also make sense for ArenaNet to allow players a one-time server switch in case of such changes, to accommodate those players who have to play at night.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

They said this some time ago it was called night capping. There realty not that much you can do about it beyond shunting down wvw when the prime time is over for ppl and truly that just not fair for ppl who CAN only play during the non prime times.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Uttar.2341

They said this some time ago it was called night capping. There realty not that much you can do about it beyond shunting down wvw when the prime time is over for ppl and truly that just not fair for ppl who CAN only play during the non prime times.

Agreed, but as I indicated in my posts, you don’t have to shutdown WvW globally, only on that specific server. If you allow everyone to play WvW on multiple servers (as in my proposal, or more naively both NA and EU servers) then you won’t have any problem.

in WvW

Jski.6180

Agreed, but as I indicated in my posts, you don’t have to shutdown WvW globally, only on that specific server. If you allow everyone to play WvW on multiple servers (as in my proposal, or more naively both NA and EU servers) then you won’t have any problem.

That would destroy being part of any server.

in WvW

Uttar.2341

How would it? I suppose it would be a problem for the naive “allow everyone both an EU and NA server at any time” approach which I briefly mentioned but that wasn’t at all what I was suggesting in my posts (and if you did go down that route anyway, you’d likely want to limit which region you can access at which time).

Most people play more at primetime, and more guild events are at primetime, so nearly everyone will likely see that as “their server”. It doesn’t mean they can’t have a lot of fun elsewhere at other times with great balanced match-ups, while a few people might genuinely feel part of multiple servers.

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Sorry, maybe I’m being a little thick here, but your suggestion of time-gated servers doesn’t really make much sense. I play at different times every day, and different again at the weekend, so who exactly would I be fighting for? Say I play on the 6pm server and do an all-nighter, does that server close half way through my playtime and throw me out?

Who would I be fighting for? Would I ever see the casual friends I’ve made in wvw? How long would the match ups last?

I expect what would really happen is large guilds would plan a time to join and completely dominate a map full of pugs, leading to the pugs/smaller guilds giving up on wvw for the day or just giving up.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

The correct way to “fix” night capping, (if you consider it an issue) is to alter the point gain in the following way:
potential points = normal potential points * (current wvw population / average wvw population of the week)

There are several problems with this formula:

Current WvW Population (meaning the opponent’s current population):
Measured over what time period? The last second? 10 sec? 10 min? Is it a moving average or an instantaneous number? A very short time is unreasonable, whereas a long time would still allow many points to be obtained. What if opponents log in after you’ve breeched the door and are fighting the keep lord, but they are still too far to get to you? Do you count those too?

Average WvW Population (i.e. the opponent’s average population):
What is that number at the beginning of the week? Is it last week’s average? What would happen when whole guilds move to another server as we have been seeing recently?

A better formula would be:
Your points = Normal points * (Opponent’s current population on that map / Your current population on that map)

But even then, what about the people who are there just to get map completion, or crafting, or browsing the TP, vendors, etc…? Do you count them or not?

And the same problem with “current” population exits: counting over what time period? Say it’s 10 mins. Say you log in to WvW with 50 people and there are 3 opponents. If 5 people can take a site in 10 min or less, you can possibly take 10 sites or more in those 10 minutes, with 50 people. Then log off and wait till the counter has reset, log back in and repeat. Ridiculous, yes, but just as ridiculous as PvD and it’s being done all the time.

Oh, and what Devon hints at in that same paragraph in his article, about sites reverting somehow (automatically?) if left unguarded, and about gaining points for taking a site, will only benefit such a strategy. Come back later and get it again.

Here’s another formula:
Your points = Normal points * (Opponents in the fight / Your players in the fight)

What’s “in the fight”? Players within a certain radius? What if a couple of opponents are just passing by? Do you get more points by jumping them because then they’ll get counted as being in the fight?

In summary, I feel that you can’t use formulas to make up for the effective absence of a match, while pretending that there is one taking place.

in WvW

Jski.6180

How would it? I suppose it would be a problem for the naive “allow everyone both an EU and NA server at any time” approach which I briefly mentioned but that wasn’t at all what I was suggesting in my posts (and if you did go down that route anyway, you’d likely want to limit which region you can access at which time).

Most people play more at primetime, and more guild events are at primetime, so nearly everyone will likely see that as “their server”. It doesn’t mean they can’t have a lot of fun elsewhere at other times with great balanced match-ups, while a few people might genuinely feel part of multiple servers.

Say your world is doing badly so you jump to another to wvw now your wvwing for other ppl not part of your world so every thing you do for wvw is not helping your world. This would cause a brick down of any type of community that ppl are trying to make. We had the same problem when there was no time delay on world switches and now that you have to pay for it there even less of them.
If you went with that type of system in the end you would have 3 world that are worth wvwing in every other world would just be using though 3 worlds to wvw and there own will have no one but a few random ppl.

And your biggest problem is thinking that it should be fair only Spvp should be fair WvW is made for mass combat with no rules beyond the limitation of what a player can do with both a group and with other ppl.

in WvW

Posted by: plevyakin.8792

plevyakin.8792

That’s incredibly selfish and narrow-minded. What about people from other time zones (SEA, Pacific)? What about people who do shift work and can only log on to play at odd hours? So we can’t play during our regular hours because of this?

Bonaduce Cadderly
Henge of Denravi [HOD]
Discreet [Dx]

in WvW

Posted by: mechanizeddeath.3127

mechanizeddeath.3127

Somewhat related to this suggestion, I was just talking to a friend the other day about how there are a lot of people out there who seem to think that “everyone” goes to bed (or should) at some arbitrary time, despite the fact that there are countless doctors, nurses, emergency workers, police, and general insomniacs who are awake during “bedtime”.

That having been said, getting kicked out of WvW at any time would be unacceptable. From the sounds of it, I’m not even logging into Guild Wars 2 until the original poster is sound asleep.

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

That having been said, getting kicked out of WvW at any time would be unacceptable. From the sounds of it, I’m not even logging into Guild Wars 2 until the original poster is sound asleep.

LOL

Seriously, I have nothing against people who play at night. I do too. And a solution should include all time zones, obviously, and not exclude anybody. But the problem is caused by ArenaNet’s WvW schedule and server “locations”, not by my supposed “selfishness”.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Well, another solution would be to prohibit WvW play across time zones of more than, say 3-4 hours, based on IP location compared to the WvW server local time.

24/7 for PvE is fine, but doesn’t make any sense for player matches if the other team is asleep.

It would also make sense for ArenaNet to allow players a one-time server switch in case of such changes, to accommodate those players who have to play at night.

That wouldn’t work for a lot of people. A lot of people do shift work so they aren’t in a regular routine of 9 to 5. Im Oceanic and I regular play in all timezones for this reason. How could restricting me from playing in various timezones be justified?

in WvW

Posted by: Engels.8537

Engels.8537

So you are suggesting that the GAME SHOULD TELL ME WHEN TO GET SLEEP? What is it, a game or my mother?.

Your mom tells you when it’s time to sleep?

That’s much better than your wife, trust me lucky one,

Don’t talk to me about toughness and vitality, damage avoidance is all in this game

in WvW

Posted by: MagiKarp.8201

MagiKarp.8201

Reset WvW every 8 hours, that would be fun, and have reports on who won that timeslot would be interesting, Tier 3 structures who needs them when you can fight in your PRIME!

Huehuehue NA>Oc/SEA>EU now that would be amazing.

Edit (by reset I mean 185 everyone like on reset owning their keep etc)

But am still a fan of server amalgamations get on it Devon! 24/7 wvw is only 24/7 if you have all 24 hours covered!

Magikarps Norn Ele – becuz leopard
Blackgate WvW Commander
Vanguard of Exiled Mercenaries [MERC] voem.enjin.com

(edited by MagiKarp.8201)

in WvW

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This wouldn’t be nearly as big of an issue if the servers were region locked. Nothing against anyone overseas… but that’s just the truth of the matter.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in WvW

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

Devon Carver:

Right now our game […] overwhelmingly favors the last server to log out for the day.

I’m glad there is finally an official statement regarding this. Everyone knows this problem is especially related to players from different time zones playing while the locals are asleep, particularly across the Atlantic. The proper way to solve this problem is by recognizing, as the above quote from Devon Carver does, that there is a time for sleeping — an “end of the day”.

As such, WvW should close down at the end of the day, local time. European servers should close at night, European time (e.g. CET), for 9 hours, and so should the American servers, at their local time.

Its sad it took him this long to realize this….whats even sadder is he thinks that is the only silly thing this awful game favors

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

in WvW

Posted by: Genocide.4506

Genocide.4506

Devon Carver:

Seriously you want this?!
I wanna punch you in the throat

Blackgate thief :)

in WvW

Posted by: MysticSquirrel.7180

MysticSquirrel.7180

A bad solution to an obnoxious problem.

I have no real suggestion, just that it’s super lame to log off at 1 am server time, and wake up in the morning and find that (a our keeps have no wps, if we have any at all b) we’re down another 10-15k points.

Being on a small pop server sucks enough at times without even adding in all the oceanic people running up the score at night.

in WvW

Posted by: Eggyokeo.9705

Eggyokeo.9705

Devon Carver:

I new this “night capping” whinging would start again the moment I read the publication.

How about instead of blaming the developers for what you believe is a problem you tackle the challenge as it stands, actively recruit Players/Guilds form across the globe to your server so that you are the last server to log off, if at all.

the game does not necessarily favor the last server to log off, but favors the server with the strongest world wide community.

for those people crying about what you perceive to be a broken game because a 24 hour a day free for all, if you want to play a game that is exactly the same when you log on as when you log off play a single player

(edited by Eggyokeo.9705)

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

Here is a proposition that can go nicely with the night-closing WvW:

Divide the world time zones into 3 areas of approx 8 hours each, each closing at night, local time. If a player cannot but play WvW at night, they can choose to play either in the area to their west (where it is afternoon), or to their east (where it is morning).

For example:
Americas: UTC-10 to UTC-3 (Hawaii to Brazil)
EMEA: UTC-2 to UTC+4 (Mid-Atlantic to Oman/Western Russia)
Asia/Oceania: UTC+5 to UTC-11(+13) (Pakistan to New Zealand)

It is possible that French- and Spanish-speaking servers will have to be created in the Americas area (which makes perfect sense given the population), as well as English-speaking servers in Asia (I have no idea if GW2 already operates in Asia; most probably yes).

(edited by Alad QB.8904)

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Is this thread for real or just like 100% troll,

If ANET restrict there WvW it will kill it, not everyone has a 9-5 job, some people work nightshift, some people work split shift, some people even have 2 jobs, this is a GAME, people log on to have FUN, end of story, if Anet start telling people who play there game GLOBALLY when they can play it, the game is dead in a week.

And what about the people who play only WvW or sPvP, surely its unfair for them that they can only play certain hours of the day, just because your on a world that has less pop at certain times of day…if that’s the case, I want every PvE zone closed at the same times the WvW zones are closed, why should you beable to farm/play in PvE if I cannot play in WvW……..

What if your up against a world that has a bigger ZERG than you and does a quick push 30 mins before “close” time and caps everything, they hold a lead that they may not beable to lose, I hope to god Anet do not read this topic or follow the OP’s suggestion.

Maybe you should be looking at how to make your world more interested in WvW during those hours when players from overseas are dominating.

in WvW

Posted by: Mathemagician.1836

Mathemagician.1836

I proposed this solution in another thread, but I’ll repeat it here. What if we split each borderlands and EB into 2 separate time-gated maps. So you’d have Green Borderlands “day” and “night”, say, each one open for 12 hours /day. The state of each is maintained separately. With a system like this, if you take SMC and fortify it during the “day,” your effort isn’t lost if you can hold it until the end of the “day,” and your server is again active at the start of the next “day.”

Something like this prevents nightcapping, while allowing the server with a stronger world-wide presence to still enjoy the benefits that come with that (e.g. a strong presence on both “day” and “night” maps).

Of course the biggest problem with this solution, to my mind, is that it would be jarring when the day and night maps switch. What happens if the enemy holds SMC during the night, and you’re defending the lords room during the day? Where should you go?

Hopf Bifurcation, Norn Mesmer, We Are Owl Exterminators [OWL], No Dice [DICE]
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

If ANET restrict there WvW it will kill it, not everyone has a 9-5 job, some people work nightshift, some people work split shift, some people even have 2 jobs, this is a GAME,[…]

Yes, it is a game. Just like sports. If you go to play against another team and they’re not there, there is no match. No “game”.

The question is: why aren’t they there? If they don’t have enough people interested in WvW then it’s their problem and I don’t believe ANet can do anything about it except maybe try to make that server a bit more attractive. The match can proceed.

But if the reason is because they’ve all gone to bed, because all human beings do that once a day, at the end of the day, then there can be no match. The two teams are incompatible in their playing hours. And you can’t require that they go and find you people from other corners of the world to come and play with you at the hours you can play. There are other servers in other areas with people who are awake at that time; that’s the best possible place for you to play.

I’d like to see people who seem astonished here, what they would do if their neighbor came to their house to play after they went to bed for the night. Sure, you’d get up and play with them, right? Every night, right?

Indeed, not everyone has a 9-5 occupation and some are awake at night. The solution is simply to play with that area of the world where people are also awake and playing.

Here’s one last suggestion:
At night, the WvW maps become PvE. Players can train to play (against the guards and mobs), but gain no points.

There are other aspects of this suggestion that I find interesting. In sports, the opposing teams can talk to each other after the match. Congratulate each other. Learn from each other. Perhaps this can happen in WvW during the night…

(edited by Alad QB.8904)

in WvW

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

First, ask yourself why you play the game.

Is it so your server is at the top of the list?

If so, for a fee, you can move yourself to a server at the top of the list. Problem solved.

Or, do you play the game to have fun when you log in?

If so, I don’t understand the fascination with what happens when you’re not online.

in WvW

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

I think removing all upgrade monetary costs and then resetting the whole map (all controls and upgrades) every 8 hours (so we get NA, Oceanic and EU times) will fix most of this problem.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

Devon Carver:

I’m glad there is finally an official statement regarding this.

Have you ever stopped to consider that they have always known the problem existed, and only abstain from discussing it because people like yourself call even the smallest comment “an official statement” and then jump on your soapbox to grind your axe?

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar.4257

Ragnar.4257

Split servers into 3 “Teams”, competing in 3 separate ladders.

Eg. (my server), Gandara 1, Gandara 2, and Gandara 3.

Gandara 1 vs Abaddons 1 vs Millers 1 from 2am to 10am GMT

Gandara 2 vs Piken 2 vs AuguryRock 2 from 10am to 6pm GMT

Gandara 3 vs AuroraGlade 3 vs Riverside 3 from 6pm to 2am GMT

Each server “team” has its own rating in the rankings, and will have its matchups decided according to those ratings, independant of the other server teams. So it may turn out that Gandara 2 is very strong, and will end up facing other strong servers. While Gandara 1 is very weak, and gets put in the special-kids tier.

Seeing as I’m on Gandara, I can participate in all 3 of these matches if I so wish. Nobody will ever be prevented from playing.
However, if I can only realistically play during one of those matches, I can comfortably spend my time there and then log off knowing that the enemy won’t have taken a 50k point lead overnight.

This would also go a long way to reducing stale matchups against the same servers.

[Scnd][TA][Dius][aX]

(edited by Ragnar.4257)

in WvW

Posted by: Genocide.4506

Genocide.4506

Well the point is like you want to separate all timezones which isn’t fun you have to understand we have guilds that have people from diff times… wth do you not have friends in the game?

Blackgate thief :)

in WvW

Master of Timespace.2548

If so, for a fee, you can move yourself to a server at the top of the list. Problem solved.

If so, I don’t understand the fascination with what happens when you’re not online.

Finally a rational person. They are rare these days.

By the way, kitten es me off how many people here think that everyone else plays only during day just because they do.

in WvW

Alad QB.8904

I think for most people, yourself included most probably, it is the fascination of what happens when you are online, and outnumbered 10 or 20 to 1, because of people from remote time zones playing on your time-zone server while your people are asleep. What do people do in such cases? They shrug and log off. Or have you never found yourself in this situation? If the numbers were small, nobody would notice them or be bothered, but they’re not. If this happens once in a blue moon, it wouldn’t be an issue.

You have to admit that, for some players, for example in the Americas, it is considered advantageous (a valid tactic, even), to play WvW on European servers while the Europeans are sleeping, don’t you think? Or vice-versa. Because you can gain points against a sleeping server. That’s the root of the problem. Like a football team arriving 5 hours early and playing the “game” by themselves, against no one.

in WvW

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

I think for most people, yourself included most probably, it is the fascination of what happens when you are online, and outnumbered 10 or 20 to 1, because of people from remote time zones playing on your time-zone server while your people are asleep. What do people do in such cases? They shrug and log off. Or have you never found yourself in this situation? If the numbers were small, nobody would notice them or be bothered, but they’re not. If this happens once in a blue moon, it wouldn’t be an issue.

You have to admit that, for some players, for example in the Americas, it is considered advantageous (a valid tactic, even), to play WvW on European servers while the Europeans are sleeping, don’t you think? Or vice-versa. Because you can gain points against a sleeping server. That’s the root of the problem. Like a football team arriving 5 hours early and playing the “game” by themselves, against no one.

For the first bit, if you’re playing in off-peak hours, but one or both of the servers you’re matched up against has a large population during those times, there is admittedly not much to say, except for maybe, “thems the breaks.” The one thing no one can do for you is ensure something like WvW is explicitly fair at all times; I think it’s not intended to be.

So again, if you’re playing relatively alone on your server at off hours, against servers with large populations during that time, really the only two options are 1.) hope for a better match up next week, or 2.) transfer to one of the top 3 servers, which tend to have more around-the-clock coverage.

For the football analogy, it’s really more akin to a team leaving at halftime than one showing up hours early. There are time “rules” to both WvW and football: Football has a 60 minute clock, WvW has a weekly clock. If a football team only plays 30 minutes, they would expect to lose against a team that played a full 60. Similarly, a server which plays 12 hours a day should expect to lose to one that plays a full 24.

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

I do not quite get this… If a server has an overwhelming night time prescence and thereby maintains itself in a level higher than it should be, then surely its prime time (as in the majority) of its players are getting the crap kicked out of them whilst online… Wheres the fun in that?

Lurch
Gandara

in WvW

Posted by: snowaugar.1823

snowaugar.1823

In this thread time zones don’t exist neither do other work shifts ignorance amazes… this is a multiplayer game with people from all over the world not a single player stuck in my own little box game this game plays 24/7 not only when your on get over it

in WvW

Master of Timespace.2548

I do not quite get this… If a server has an overwhelming night time prescence and thereby maintains itself in a level higher than it should be, then surely its prime time (as in the majority) of its players are getting the crap kicked out of them whilst online… Wheres the fun in that?

Like Gandara ?

in WvW

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

If it’s that much of a problem, then majority rules. If you happen to be one of the minority that falls within the off hours, such is life. To bad, so sad.