EotM : Green is King

in WvW

Posted by: Tryxtr.6295

Tryxtr.6295

This has probably been brought up 30 times but I didn’t see it.

It’s simple. Green side almost always wins in EotM. And it’s not even close.

Why is this? Has Anet ever acknowledged the problem? And is there a fix in the works?

in WvW

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Why is this? Has Anet ever acknowledged the problem? And is there a fix in the works?

?

“Green always wins”?

I’m not quite sure I follow. (or want to).

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in WvW

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

?

“Green always wins”?

EoTM (the newest World versus World map) is seperated in to three teams represented by a collection of servers organized as the red, blue, and green teams. Unlike in the other WvW maps, each team has different powers available by controlling their ‘home’ portion of the map. The poster is arguing that green teams map control objectives have the greatest advantage.

EDIT: To the post below, no the teams are assigned in rotation, the green team is not a collection of the teams which have ranked first in their own tier.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

in WvW

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

well,… isn’t green the server who ranked first on its tier? Isn’t EoTM a leveling ground? then go to WvW, win, and get the green (?)

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in WvW

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I think that green ‘always’ wins because the strongest server in their matchup has the highest chance to be green so green in eotm will have more coverage than blue and red.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

in WvW

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

they are working on something big , they cant talk about it now but when they will release it,it will be awesome .

just kidding , ballance patches are normal in games but it is not normal in gw. maybe one day they will fix it but dont count for it .

in WvW

Azure The Heartless.3261

?

“Green always wins”?

EoTM is seperated in to three teams represented by a collection of servers organized as the red, blue, and green teams.

I know this. I don’t understand what the reasoning behind them “always winning” is, though.

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

anything past that is skill and coincidence.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in WvW

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

?

“Green always wins”?

EoTM is seperated in to three teams represented by a collection of servers organized as the red, blue, and green teams.

I know this. I don’t understand what the reasoning behind them “always winning” is, though.

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

60 man blob vs 15 outnumbered people on blue/red side . Please if you dont play eotm better dont talk cause opinions like that are useless . Green blob is huge problem and they should rebuild eotm overflow system long time ago , so it wont create another overflow when green hit players cap and other sides are barely populated.

in WvW

Conncept.7638

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

If I had to pick a reason I would say the Statuarys cannon battery and the Altars wisp form. The cannon offers far more reliable assault power than any other map objective, and the wisp form offers the most safe and reliable way to move a zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well this should probably be in the WvW forums

But yeah, Green always seems to be dominating no matter when (or which instance/ip of EotM map) I go there. Its somewhat annoying.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in WvW

Azure The Heartless.3261

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

60 man blob vs 15 outnumbered people on blue/red side . Please if you dont play eotm better dont talk cause opinions like that are useless . Green blob is huge problem and they should rebuild eotm overflow system long time ago , so it wont create another overflow when green hit players cap and other sides are barely populated.

I’m just trying to understand the problem. I play WvW more than I play EOTM, and when I -do- play EOTM I am almost always green. No snippy please.

I was not aware of new overflows being created when green hits cap (with red and blue not filled), but isn’t that the only option if new -green- players want to join a full map? They’d just have to add joining red and blue players to the previous map instance with the green cap, correct?

(If that isnt being done already, in which case it should be.)

in WvW

Posted by: CaboSoul.1204

CaboSoul.1204

As a WvW player I don’t have a problem with this. But if I was a karma/gold farmer I would have a problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Green dominates even more as Koda.

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

This is because the Edge of the Mist players are pooled into three groups: Green, Blue, and Red. These colors are associated with the color of their home world. Thus, if Anvil Rock and Jade Quarry are both Green, then they will play together in Edge of the Mists.

The problem is that Green is the color given to the team that has won the previous week in WvW. In other words, Green is often consisting of the biggest pool of players.

in WvW

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

I’m just trying to understand the problem. I play WvW more than I play EOTM, and when I -do- play EOTM I am almost always green. No snippy please.

I was not aware of new overflows being created when green hits cap (with red and blue not filled), but isn’t that the only option if new -green- players want to join a full map? They’d just have to add joining red and blue players to the previous map instance with the green cap, correct?

i am also mostly wwwer but sometimes it is nice to go play brainless train without thinking . playing in eotm when you are not green just doesnt make sense . Green create 6 full maps and other sides got maybe 20 people on each map , skill doesnt matter when enemy just blob you with 3 times bigger numbers. Why they dont put people in every side doesnt matter what color your server is , just make eaqual numbers . there are no communities in eotm anyway .

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

In the meantime superiority of green is just an psychological effect.

People already assume green is winning, resulting green people go there more often, than red and blue, that do not want to get farmed.

As all believe it, it happens as believed.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

If it’s a difference it number then that really isn’t up to Anet’s control. As far as I know, all NA servers that are currently “green” in WvW will be grouped to be Overgrowth (or green) in EotM, and the same for “red” and “blue”. Then another grouping for the EU servers. While that may seem unfair at first glance, grouping them randomly (some greens with some blue/red) may be a bit more difficult to do (due to tiers) and will be more unfair for those who are green in WvW but are designated as Badlands or Frostreach in EotM. In my opinion, if a world has won the right to be designated as “green” from the previous week, then they should keep that distinction in EotM as well.

Remember that EotM was designed to be like a waiting room for the WvW (in case maps are full). The fact that players are using them as a means to farm/level is entirely up to them.

in WvW

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

i am also mostly wwwer but sometimes it is nice to go play brainless train without thinking . playing in eotm when you are not green just doesnt make sense . Green create 6 full maps and other sides got maybe 20 people on each map , skill doesnt matter when enemy just blob you with 3 times bigger numbers. Why they dont put people in every side doesnt matter what color your server is , just make eaqual numbers . there are no communities in eotm anyway .

How would they do that? Have players be assigned a specific team as they enter? That would create a larger imbalance, imo. Also, I’ve seen huge zergs of red and blue wipe out the green zerg before.

in WvW

Azure The Heartless.3261

?

“Green always wins”?

Terrain advantage?
Boon advantage?

How would they do that? Have players be assigned a specific team as they enter? That would create a larger imbalance, imo. Also, I’ve seen huge zergs of red and blue wipe out the green zerg before.

This. often times while I’ve been playing overgrowth (although I do not farm in EOtM when I can be doing it and gaining points for my world), we’ve been wiped out by opposing red and blue teams.

It’s hard for me to believe that green always winning is due to a design flaw; often times the horsepower to wipe green is there.

But then again, I haven’t experienced outnumbered on EOTM for a longgg long time. Last time I experienced that was when Tarnished coast was kicking our tail all over the map in the WVW tourney.

in WvW

Ayrilana.1396

They don’t wipe out green very often since they’re too busy defending. I’ve gone to EotM lately as its a quick way to do the daily and monthly. The red and blue zergs have been considerably smaller and several players have camped themselves in the keeps to defend which further reduces their number.

It’s just a numbers game like it always has been.

in WvW

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

The only thing you “win” in EotM is karma and gold. There is no fight to win. Go about your training. Move along… move along.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

in WvW

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The problem is that Green is the color given to the team that has won the previous week in WvW. ……

I was under the impression the rotation of colors was random….if the above is true (and I’m not saying it isn’t), then this is the logical reason….the most often winning WvW teams are always combined into the EotM Green team(s).

EDIT: How can GREEN assigned to last week winner be true. What if 3 teams that won last week are matched up….or even 2 teams that won? I guess I can see some sort of priority happening during WvW season, but during off-season I thought it was purely random what color you Server was assigned.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in WvW

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I think there is a problem with Overgrowth assignment, on both sides. When my server is assigned to Overgrowth, it becomes almost impossible to play due to the number of people in the Zerg. The only time I’ve experienced lag in this game was in an Overgrowth Zerg. When playing against them, they do generally seem to have an advantage simply because of their numbers, especially when you’re playing in non-peak hours. There certainly does seem to be an imbalance.

in WvW

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Well this should probably be in the WvW forums

But yeah, Green always seems to be dominating no matter when (or which instance/ip of EotM map) I go there. Its somewhat annoying.

Nah it should go here. Or in the PvE subforum.

Daily reminder EoTM is not WvW.

in WvW

Ayrilana.1396

The problem is that Green is the color given to the team that has won the previous week in WvW. ……

I was under the impression the rotation of colors was random….if the above is true (and I’m not saying it isn’t), then this is the logical reason….the most often winning WvW teams are always combined into the EotM Green team(s).

EDIT: How can GREEN assigned to last week winner be true. What if 3 teams that won last week are matched up….or even 2 teams that won? I guess I can see some sort of priority happening during WvW season, but during off-season I thought it was purely random what color you Server was assigned.

Think of it this way. What color are you on the WvW scoreboard this week? Thats what color you will be in EotM for the week. Apply that to everyone else. I believe the wiki also explains this.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Attempting to balance eotm would be a waste of time. It’s the skyhammer of wvw and will never be good.

in WvW

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Attempting to balance eotm would be a waste of time. It’s the skyhammer of wvw and will never be good.

It’d be trivially easy. Each server gets assigned a random color for EotM, for each 3 hour match. Bam. Done. At least, this would fix the issue the OP has. It wouldn’t fix any inherent imbalances in the map, but given the way teams are assigned, it’s pretty hard to even tell what specifically the inherent map imbalances are.

The only issue is that ANET might feel that it might confuse extremely stupid players, or something.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

There is no sense in keeping the WvW team (server) together in EotM. Server has no meaning outside WvW why should it in EotM. Just assign color to a player when he enter the map. It’s not even necessary that someone gets the same color within the same 4h “match”,.

Use mega-server technology to assign the people to EotM-teams (not only maps).

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Ok. I see people are still posting about EotM in the WvW forums. Wrong area. PvE is in another location.

That said, green definitely has the advantage. It is part of the reason that it should never count for anything important.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Ok. I see people are still posting about EotM in the WvW forums. Wrong area. PvE is in another location.

They are enforced to. If they post somewhere else, the Mods move it to here, e.g. this thread was moved from general to wvw forum.

And of course feel free to see WvW as elite-club. I guess it will die-out if to many think like you.

I guess it would be better for WvW, if the people see EotM, as the recruitement and training ground for WvW. People uplevel, train zerging and learn PvD in EOtM till they are lvl 80 and ready to do real zerging and real PvD in WvW

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Filovirus.6258

Filovirus.6258

When SFR isn’t Green, it’s the color with them on it who wins more often than not in EU (they have a truckload of EotM Heroes, farming it with lvl80 and that’s what make the win or loss most of the time with how stacked they are), and it’s even worse when both SFR and either Deso/Kodash/Baruch are the same color as SFR.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I think that green ‘always’ wins because the strongest server in their matchup has the highest chance to be green so green in eotm will have more coverage than blue and red.

That doesn’t explain why blue is almost always the losing side, often by a large margin.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

In EU currently blue aka SFR and green “fight for victory”, red is mostly not existing.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It doesn’t always happen though. The other night I was on a map where we were Blue, and we’d basically dominated the entire map. Red was absolutely nowhere to be seen except for a few stragglers, and while Green was fielding comparable numbers to us, they must have had an inexperienced Commander or a lot of uplevels, because we absolutely crushed them in the three times our zergs clashed.

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

In the meantime superiority of green is just an psychological effect.

People already assume green is winning, resulting green people go there more often, than red and blue, that do not want to get farmed.

As all believe it it happens as believed.

I agree. People look at their colour, and if it’s green they know it’s any easy win. It’s a self reinforcing belief.

The idea that EoTM is not real WvW is another example of a self reinforcing belief.

in WvW

Dayra.7405

EotM is commanded by the first with lamp, not by the best with lamp. And to many of them see optimizing the routes between doors as their main task unfortunately ignoring the fact that an optimized route doesn’t help if you get crushed at the door

This week in EU I enjoy commanding green a lot. Nice fights between green and blue combined with rewarding PvD.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Red seems to win every match. Couple days ago they got like 7.8k points in match.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Conncept.7638

That doesn’t explain why blue is almost always the losing side, often by a large margin.

No, but what does is two of their mechanics being worthless AI based defense, and the third a ridiculously overpriced transform with no utility or power you can’t bring with any one of several builds on nearly any class.

in WvW

Ayrilana.1396

It doesn’t always happen though. The other night I was on a map where we were Blue, and we’d basically dominated the entire map. Red was absolutely nowhere to be seen except for a few stragglers, and while Green was fielding comparable numbers to us, they must have had an inexperienced Commander or a lot of uplevels, because we absolutely crushed them in the three times our zergs clashed.

I might have been in that zerg briefly. Did you guys also take altar and troll green at their keep while in the elemental forms?

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Nah, that wasn’t us. We did cap their Keep and defended it for the longest time, which eventually caused a large well-known guild from Blackgate to show up en masse to try and dislodge us. (They succeeded in the end through sheer numbers and attrition, but it was rather hilarious seeing them so determined to get their EotM keep back.)

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

“It’s not easy being green”, Kermit the Frog

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

This, pretty much. I’ve been playing red for the last 3 weeks and I can’t believe the nuubcake commanders we’ve had recently. One guy asked yesterday, “how do we portal a mesmer into a tower?” He had his Lion’s Arch PvE tag on.

The good ones have long gotten tired of being farmed when we’re outnumbered, and that’s almost all the time these days.

It used to be that you needed good map awareness and a coordinated group just to play in regular WvW. Now you need the same just to karma train in EoTM. Red and Blue don’t have the numbers or motivated commanders for it.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

in WvW

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

Not sure what other servers are like, but on the one i play on, Green always, always has a massive superiority in numbers. If my ‘zerg’ has 10 players, green has 40. If we get 30 on our side, green has 60.

skillwise, i do not see any difference between the 3 teams. Some keeps are easier to capture/defend than others, but objectives are not really an advantage either. 98% of the time the winner is the zerg with 3+ as many people as the other team. The other 2% are the teams that setup 3-4+ ACs and the other team stupidly walks into them.

When it comes to EotM, there is no pvp skill involved whatsoever. Just have more friends than the other team..

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Skill, hm, is there any skill anywhere in gw2? It is designed for 12 years old casuals, and it’s fun! I find the skill debate superfluous.

But of course there are differences in experience and discipline. Both on the commanders side as well as on the zergs side.

There are commanders that ignore arrow cards and champ-buf and there are zergs, letting the commander alone attacking the ACs or running into the buffed champs even if the commander stopped on sight.

My famous situation is, if you have INC shortly before the tower doors open. Will commander and Zerg stand to kill first the inc and than the champ? Or will the commander stand alone, while the Zerg runs to the champ? Or will commie and Zerg run to the champ. It’s always funny to see them farmed while in champ fight.

in WvW

Brother Grimm.5176

Think of it this way. What color are you on the WvW scoreboard this week? Thats what color you will be in EotM for the week. Apply that to everyone else. I believe the wiki also explains this.

Wha??

How does this apply to my question of HOW what color you be NEXT WEEK is determined? I know how the current color works and how EotM groups all like colors together during that week. Again, How is what color you will be NEXT week determined? Does your overall ranking factor into it? Does your previous match results factor in? Note that the wiki is written by PLAYERS not Anet so any information on this issue can only be FACTUAL if an Anet Dev comments about it (and even those have been known to be mistaken as Devs ARE human).

That said, green definitely has the advantage. It is part of the reason that it should never count for anything important.

Thread was moved by Mods….complain to them.

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

in WvW

Azure The Heartless.3261

This, pretty much. I’ve been playing red for the last 3 weeks and I can’t believe the nuubcake commanders we’ve had recently. One guy asked yesterday, “how do we portal a mesmer into a tower?” He had his Lion’s Arch PvE tag on.

Lol…

B- for effort?

in WvW

Brother Grimm.5176

I’ve done some short research on how the colors get assigned and have found LOTS of players posting “facts” but no official word or links to official word about this issue.

It is apparent, however that GREEN obviously is weighted to get the best WvW server from what can be selected from for the match up (however that is being determined).

in WvW

Dayra.7405

Last blog on how colors are assigned is from after seasons 1, where they adapted the random roll: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/wvw-matchup-variance-reduction/
it references the original post where the current match-making is introduced:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-changes-coming-to-wvw-matchups/

In short: on https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/wvw you can see Rating R_S and Deviation D_S for each server S.
For each Server S a random RND_S number between – 1 and + 1 is drawn and Match-rating MR_S is determined as
MR_S = R_S + (0.45 * D_S + 10) * RND_S

(I dropped the cap to 100, because it’s not reachable with the current deviations)

All servers are ordered according their MR_S
1, 4, 7,… in this order get green
2,5,8,… in this order get blue
3,6,9,… in this order get red

So yes, the strongest of T1, the strongest of T2, … are most likely all green during normal matches, but the random numbers (and the inertia of Glicko, e.g. the winner of last T1 is not necessarily rank 1) mix that up a bit.

Really worse is it during leagues: There the strongest of all leagues are always green, and the weakest of all leagues are always red. And the self-fulfilling prophecy (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/EotM-Green-is-King/4359393) origins from the 9 weeks of the last league, before the league it was more balanced.

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

So, I don’t play EotM much, as I’m more into WvW. However I perfectly understand the green team issue as it pulls players from the winning WvW servers which should explain a lot on it’s own (perhaps not for ArenaNet, but they seem to be quite out of touch with their game).

While there can be complicated matchmaking fixes to solve EotM, forgive me for looking for a more simplistic solution: The map wide buff the green team gets should be turned into a 3-stage debuff, the higher the tier, the lesser the magnitude of the debuff. Currently the green team buff is better than the other two team buffs which only serves to further increase the balance problem.

But this tiered buff mechanic already exists, it would only require changing values into negatives. The outcome could be a downscaling-like result where green team players simply fight with less stats, which would have the added benefit of slowing their karma train down a bit and reducing the rewards per hour they gain, which would then also affect the green team population as they might actually go back to PvE for their karma training...

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

If you want to beat green stop running level 5 upscales.