Eternal Battlegrounds Jumping Puzzle + Siege Weapons?

in WvW

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Opposing players have built an arrow cart at the top of the circular arena room of the Eternal Battlegrounds Jumping Puzzle, the room is where the animals can be released from cages. The arrow carts location is impossible to reach without ascending to the top.

The level of camping and griefing that take place in Obsidian Sanctum from the built in traps alone is degrading, unbearable and takes away a great deal of enjoyment from the game. And now individuals are taking in siege weapens? The built in traps serve the same purpose as this arrow cart (which is an exploit of how this puzzle was intended function, I hope).

I do not feel griefing should be rewarded, supported or aided even in a pvp setting such as wvwvw.

I hope Arena Net feels similarly.

in WvW

Posted by: wdspeck.8723

wdspeck.8723

As much as it’d kitten me off if that happened to me, it is preventing you from getting free siege weapons. AND, you’re also in WvW not PvE so any PK’ing is pretty much free game.

Westleyy – Ranger Lanan – Thief
Northern Shiverpeaks
Argonauts of Tyria

(edited by wdspeck.8723)

in WvW

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

I think that’s the point of it.

in WvW

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

Oh lord…………

in WvW

Posted by: Belmont.4682

Belmont.4682

I agree with the OP, griefing in the jumping puzzle is ruining the game experience for many people.

in WvW

Posted by: Antediluvian.5169

Antediluvian.5169

There is a method to that annoying griefing, preventing people from getting siege weapons etc. Using arrow carts is a bit extreme though, you use up your siege weapons so that enemies won’t use theirs? That kinda beats the purpose.

Abbadon’s Mouth [DE]’s kittens love to waste their arrow carts that way. I feel a bit sorry for them.

I can outrun a centaur.

in WvW

Posted by: Hackuuna.4085

Hackuuna.4085

As long as jumping puzzle is in a warzone I have no problem with this (within balance).

in WvW

Posted by: wdspeck.8723

wdspeck.8723

Do you have a friend named Matata?

Westleyy – Ranger Lanan – Thief
Northern Shiverpeaks
Argonauts of Tyria

in WvW

Belmont.4682

People here saying that “its fine” or “i have no problem with it” surely are the ones who either do it or never felt it in their own HP bars.

in WvW

Posted by: Sundial.9015

Sundial.9015

People here saying that “its fine” or “i have no problem with it” surely are the ones who either do it or never felt it in their own HP bars.

Stay out of designated PvP areas (sPvP, WvW) if you do not wish to PvP

Problem solved.

Sundial, Necromancer – Aurora Catulus, Engineer – Kaine Illuma, Elementalist
WvW Captain – Horde of Miscreations, Borlis Pass Alliance

in WvW

Belmont.4682

Stay out of designated PvP areas (sPvP, WvW) if you do not wish to PvP

Problem solved.

What if i tell you that i simply want to make the jumping puzzle and get outta there?

in WvW

Posted by: flyscan.6984

flyscan.6984

What, you wanted some free seige equipment? Fire another volley!

If it is truly impossible to reach that location to take them out, then maybe it’s an exploit. Post photographs and make the case that ArenaNet should patch the map.

Sorry, although you’re experiencing grief, this isn’t griefing, it’s PvP.

in WvW

Posted by: Grundle.7302

Grundle.7302

The jumping puzzle gives you free siege. It is NOT in the enemy team’s best interest to let that happen.

I don’t understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp?

There is NO open world PvP, so if you aren’t in WvWvW or sPvP you CAN NOT get griefed doing a jumping puzzle. Fun fact.

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

Belmont.4682

I agree with the OP, griefing in the jumping puzzle is ruining the game experience for many people.

People having 50 catapults/ballistae/arrow carts due to completing jumping puzzles and not actually PvPing or doing anything to get badges to actual buy siege weapons is what’s ruining the game experience. If you honestly think you should be able to waltz in and get free weapons of mass destruction at 0 cost then you have another thing coming.

I personally have never done the jumping puzzle and i have 15 of each siege weapons sans golem. It isn’t even hard to at least dot people when you’re zerging and get a ton of badges. I can easily get 100+ badges each WvW session I have. If you don’t like PvP, leave and let someone join who does. It isn’t fair for your server who is actually trying to win if all you want to do is PvE and do jumping puzzles.

CD

in WvW

Posted by: Helathir.3647

Helathir.3647

oh please another qq jp post get better it is easy to jump up the domed area under enemy fire even with a arrow cart I have to do this nearly every day and most of the time it hardly even slows me down
tip:use condition removal on the snare rain and use jump-dodge combo for the longer gaps, also prob dont want to be glass cannon speced for jumping puzzles

in WvW

Posted by: Paladin.5268

Paladin.5268

Belmont.4682

People having 50 catapults/ballistae/arrow carts due to completing jumping puzzles and not actually PvPing or doing anything to get badges to actual buy siege weapons is what’s ruining the game experience. If you honestly think you should be able to waltz in and get free weapons of mass destruction at 0 cost then you have another thing coming.

I personally have never done the jumping puzzle and i have 15 of each siege weapons sans golem. It isn’t even hard to at least dot people when you’re zerging and get a ton of badges. I can easily get 100+ badges each WvW session I have. If you don’t like PvP, leave and let someone join who does. It isn’t fair for your server who is actually trying to win if all you want to do is PvE and do jumping puzzles.

While I can understand your opinion on this, jumping puzzles give a lot of players a great deal of enjoyment in their own rights. Anet should look at duplicating these puzzles in WvW and place them in PvE outside of WvW for those who enjoy doing them.

Beyond that, I completely support opposing servers to try anything they can to prevent their enemy server(s) from completing these jumping puzzles in the borderlands, as this is PvP. Go back and try the puzzle again at a later time, these siege weapons are not manned 24/7. I have gone through jumping puzzles with unmanned siege weapons present before, and just destroy them then.

Good luck!

in WvW

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

As others have stated, it is in their servers best interest to block you from continuing on.

This is essentially a PVP Dungeon with players as both boss mobs and trash pulls. Treat it as a dungeon that you can bring more than 5 for. This is the design of the dungeon and you cannot be griefed as this was the intention of the dungeon. If any change needs to happen, it’s that siege weapons can’t be deployed. That would be the only change I can stand by as it becomes target practice rather than a real challenge for everyone.

in WvW

Posted by: Leriff.8362

Leriff.8362

I laugh at everyone who says: “The jumping puzzle gives you free siege. That’s not griefing stopping you, it’s smart!”

In that same room, Sea of Sorrows put three arrow carts, two ballista, a catapult, a treb and even a flame ram. Which they proceeded to man for over three hours. Yes. They stopped my siege by using tons of their own, more than the amount of siege people they managed to stop would have even obtained.

By that point, you’re just being a kitten. Which is fine. Be a kitten. It’s PvP. But man up to the fact that you’re just being an kitten.

(edited by Leriff.8362)

in WvW

Posted by: Kreedz.8127

Kreedz.8127

I have been both on the giving and receiving end of this.

I have spent upwards of 3 hours some nights both getting to the chest and denying the chest from others.

You may see it as griefing, but unless they remove the blueprints from the chest (which I sincerely hope they do not) then this is a valid tactical method of both wasting your opponents time and limiting the amount of potential siege they have on the field.

I do all 4 WvW JP’s every day if I am able, although queue times sometimes make it difficult to get them all done on work nights; It is where I derive most of my enjoyment because if my guild isnt able to field a sizable force it allows me to take part in small scale PvP battles.

in WvW

Posted by: Kraken.7514

Kraken.7514

Puzzles shouldent exist in WvW imo.
I really find that its ok that people pk in them. It is pvp grounds, and by doing them you occupy a slot of another player that actually would like to contribute to your servers war effort.

Kraken – Guardian / Pretty Meris – Engineer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LGQJUaYDQD8

in WvW

Posted by: Nuprin Feelgood.9257

Nuprin Feelgood.9257

I think all the map completion stuff needs to get out of WvW. People are queueing up to get in while people inside the maps are just climbing vistas and running between POI’s. If you are in the map you should be fighting for your server and nothing else.

When I ran the Obsidian Sanctum I was in the chandelier room with a couple folks from both of the other servers. we didnt grief eachother, since we all just wanted to get it done and move on. Some days it is different. I do agree that while attacking in the puzzle is OK, siege weapons are not cool.

“Sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a Chicken.” — Tyler Durden

Similarly, equiping a legendary weapon does not make you a legend.

in WvW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The beast arena is broken. It should be fixed.

The rest of the entirely of any other WvW puzzle. I have no problem with.

I can slog it through 20 enemies solo or with a small group in all of the puzzles. But when it comes to the beast arena… It’s come back in 12 hours later and hope those camping fell asleep when you try again.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

in WvW

Posted by: Enenion.8127

Enenion.8127

I agree that the area is PvP and that stopping the other team from getting free siege helps your server. However, that particular room is a deathtrap and there needs to be some sort of counter to this. Whether that be disabling siege in the puzzle or just putting a new mystic font just after the dark room, something needs to be done.

[Help],
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

that entire puzzle is intended as a giant grief mechanism. that is the sole purpose of the traps in there. iirc, there’s another one of those invisdibility crystals near there (depending on how quickly you can make it through the darkroom) so a mesmer could munch that then portal a group directly on top of the aroow cart.

another idea is to kill players in keeps instead and those that are camping the jumping puzzle won’t get any kills =*(

in WvW

Posted by: gkaare.8576

gkaare.8576

I want to apologize in advance for what may seem like potential trolling or perhaps something that is not constructive.

The tears in this thread are SO delicious.

I LOVE dropping arrow carts in the chandelier room. I love to lie in wait, with the invisibility buff, for someone to approach the top of one of the rooms. When I watch them drop from the wall my heart races with excitement. Imagining what my opponent is thinking when they die from fall damage bringkittenreat joy. I love dropping my torch to push someone into the traps when I’m in the cave. I LOVE griefing people on the jumping puzzle.

On the other hand, I do not take it personally when people do the same things to me. No one has an unfair advantages over me. There is a way to deal with everything including the arrow cart at the top of the room (find yourself a properly traited Engineer or Ranger). Every time I start the jumping puzzle I am completely aware that I may not be able to complete it and that I may have to come back later and try. Some days, I just don’t get to complete it. I am okay with that.

I think the underlying problem is that people think it’s their right to be able to complete the jumping puzzle each day. Let me spell this out for you: it is not your right to be able to complete it each day. If you don’t get to complete it, you need to accept your loss.

in WvW

Posted by: Phara Miu.2816

Phara Miu.2816

Its a valid tactic to prevent oposing servers to mass build sieges…its a PvP map get over it.
I would do anything for my server to hold of enemy’s who want sieges.
Dont like it ? start camping it yourself or ask Arenanet to delete PvE in WvW.

What do you expect in a competitive WvW envirement ? holding hands and sing songs together at a jumping puzzle oO ?

Its a valid tactic to prevent servers from building sieges.

in WvW

Posted by: gorgewall.4901

gorgewall.4901

You are in a PvP zone, performing a task that rewards you with PvP items—siege blueprints and badges. Not only that, but the dungeon already has traps built-in that exist to hinder or otherwise prevent enemies from completing the puzzle: spike traps, rolling boulders, flame spewers, chains that release dangerous mobs.

I’ve camped the puzzle and “griefed” as it were, but wasn’t it a fantastic tactical maneuver on my part that with just one siege engine I could shut down the puzzle progress of two enemy servers? For the investment of 6-12s (free, if I got them out of the chest) and two friends’ worth of supply, one man can hold multiple enemies at bay. He can get them raging in chat, spending time typing when they could be fighting. He can get them to try and zerg into the puzzle in a desperate attempt to rush down the siege, drawing off the greatest resource in the zone (manpower) and providing his allies with an easier time out in the actual WvW zone.

When you see camping in the WvW puzzles, you need to make a judgment call: is dying repeatedly, spending 30 minutes trying, and/or tying up multiple allies in attempting to fix this as good use of my time? Chances are, no. If there’s one guy with one arrow cart, yeah, you can take him out if you’re particularly savvy, or if you and just two other guys drop a ballista real quick and blow it up before he can deal with you. But if there’s ten enemies from the same server camping the puzzle.. why bother? That’s ten enemies that aren’t defending towers, that aren’t trying to take your towers. You should be out in the zone maximizing your advantage while they handicap themselves. Let the OTHER server zerg in and waste players beating their heads against that wall. Now you’ve got TWO servers who have multiple players that are not participating in the primary goal of Eternal Battlegrounds—taking and holding towers/keeps/castles/camps.

Also, welcome to online gaming. Griefing is half the fun!

in WvW

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

The problem is the loosing server normlay camps the jumping puzzle. Which would be fine if you still could get passed it .
They would limit the free stuff the enemy get, but wait you can buy them for Medels making camping noting but a pain in the kitten for ppl. It is no tactic it is Anti-fun. Maybe A-net should talk to Riot to unerstand the concept. If something only gives the user fun and take it away from everyone else this concept is lacking in an multiplayer game. NO excusse. If everything is fair in love and war then why can’t my guardian use is tp skill to get close to high enemys.

Blub.

in WvW

Posted by: Irish Cowboy.4153

Irish Cowboy.4153

Am I the only one that hopes that everybody that q’s WvW to do jumping puzzles and farm nodes deserves to griefed in the mouth for eternity?

Go do PVE tasks in a PVE zone. If you’re getting griefed in WvW because you’re wasting space in the q for someone that wants to affect the scoreboard, then you probably deserved to get ballistad to death.

Go pick daisy’s in a PVE zone and let someone into WvW that is there to play WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

Jumping puzzles are a reward for controlling the area around it.

If you go there alone, expect to be killed. This is WvW, it gives WvW rewards, so stop going in there with your little carebear PvE mindset.

in WvW

Belmont.4682

Am I the only one that hopes that everybody that q’s WvW to do jumping puzzles and farm nodes deserves to griefed in the mouth for eternity?

Go do PVE tasks in a PVE zone. If you’re getting griefed in WvW because you’re wasting space in the q for someone that wants to affect the scoreboard, then you probably deserved to get ballistad to death.

Go pick daisy’s in a PVE zone and let someone into WvW that is there to play WvW.

Guess what my dear pvp peon, i’m only doing this jumping puzzle because Anet requires me to get 500 badges so that stupid weaponsmith understands that i somehow “mastered” the WvW part of the game and then give me the kitten Gift of Battle, used to make the Gift Of Mastery on the mystic forge.

Idgaf about those blueprints, i have like 20 blueprints of each tipe of siege weapon on my bank and i dont plan on using these soon, i just wanna get these stupid badges and never set foot on that jumping puzzle again, they can either remove the blueprint loot from the chest or change the currency used to buy’em and i’ll be fine.

in WvW

Posted by: Antediluvian.5169

Antediluvian.5169

Guess what my dear pvp peon, i’m only doing this jumping puzzle because Anet requires me to get 500 badges so that stupid weaponsmith understands that i somehow “mastered” the WvW part of the game and then give me the kitten Gift of Battle, used to make the Gift Of Mastery on the mystic forge.

Idgaf about those blueprints, i have like 20 blueprints of each tipe of siege weapon on my bank and i dont plan on using these soon, i just wanna get these stupid badges and never set foot on that jumping puzzle again, they can either remove the blueprint loot from the chest or change the currency used to buy’em and i’ll be fine.

I’m assuming you’re after a legendary. I’m after legendaries as well, but get this: You obviously need more stuff to acquire one, such as karma, skill points and gold. Participating in WvW generally will net you karma, gold, exp and even badges of honor. So, in order to have a better time, you can acquire everything slowly over time and still be on the track for whatever you’re farming, while contributing to WvW. Investing time in jumping puzzles solely may yield you with badges of honor but really, the amount you get is not nearly enough to make that time worthwhile. Just my 2 cents.

I can outrun a centaur.

in WvW

Posted by: Frost.2908

Frost.2908

As stated previously, this puzzle was placed in a pvp environment and offers traps ect to grant a different type of challenge. I knew it would be rough to map and such as the world grew older so I completed every part of wvw map exploration within the first few days of the game, no problems at all except the occasional other player I dealt with quickly.

If you decided to wait to explore or attain your achievements unfortunately these are the current conditions and although I do think using siege in the puzzles might be a little excessive im sure they’ll get tired eventually.. so best of luck to ya! You could always go in with a party as well and show them up

in WvW

Posted by: Luterin.9876

Luterin.9876

IF you had skipped the puzzle and ran with a zerg doing WvW you would get those badges A LOT faster.

If anything, I hope they remove the badges and just have blueprints in that chest.

in WvW

Posted by: MajorKong.8095

MajorKong.8095

It’s poorly designed I think. If the enemies are component then you can’t counter it i.e. chain portals and pull them off with mesmers.

If there wasn’t a combat slow then I wouldn’t care because obviously I can remove debuffs like cripple etc and just get on with it.

MajorKong
Human Elementalist -The Iron Triangle [IRON]
My WvW review

in WvW

Belmont.4682

IF you had skipped the puzzle and ran with a zerg doing WvW you would get those badges A LOT faster.

If anything, I hope they remove the badges and just have blueprints in that chest.

Diminishing return system affects badge looting, wich means that after 5 or 6 badges, i will be getting like 1 at every 30 kills.

in WvW

Posted by: Leriff.8362

Leriff.8362

The only change they should really make, imo, is to remove the ability to put siege down.

There are already numerous advantages to the defending (or camping, however you see it) party. There are traps, high ground, choke points and et cetera. Adding siege to that is truly what makes it unfair.

Take the arena room, for example. There is the chain at the top to release the beasts, plus a choke point on the small ledge in which you must jump to make it across. Adding the ability to put an arrow cart to cover the entrance (plus the entire room. It can reach the entire room) is silly.

I personally don’t see how many people could complain if you couldn’t have siege in there. It is a PvP zone, and PvP is to be expected. Siege warfare, though? In a cave filled with ruins?

in WvW

Posted by: Luterin.9876

Luterin.9876

Diminishing return system affects badge looting, wich means that after 5 or 6 badges, i will be getting like 1 at every 30 kills.

This obviously isn’t true. I have 2500 kills and 500 badges. That’s a 1:5 ratio, not 1:30 ratio.

Sure, there might be a diminishing return, but it sure isn’t giving you a 1:30 ratio.

Oh, and I play a lot of WvW every day, 4+ hrs, and I feel that I get a “constant” flow of badges. I mainly defend thou, not zerg.

in WvW

Posted by: Zierk.4289

Zierk.4289

@OP

it’s not griefing it’s PVP. Siege weapons? Yes because what happens when the 5 man group of people camping other player’s runs into another teams squad who wants to do the puzzle? It’s the same concept of people defending a camp or tower, use siege because it makes you that much stronger.

Sounds like another QQ thread. Plz close this ANET!

Zierk [VA] Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
Vigiliant Addiction – Multi-Gaming Community
http://www.vigilantaddiction.com

in WvW

Fey Zeal.7032

It is my position that the siege weapons at the very least are an exploit. When strategy and skill are unable to counter an enemy force in a pvp setting it is not balanced. The chains to trigger the built in traps are at least in range of long distance attacks.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/Selhteus/GW2%20Forum/gw113ed.jpg

Yes, pvping inside the puzzle is fine. Yes, I think it is fine to deny enemies blue prints. I however feel that it is an excessive form of greifing and rewards players who need little or no strategy who camp.

Also you are not receiving blue prints for free for all who may think that, the jumping puzzles are a great challenge for some. Especially this one that is one of the longest and most changeling even with out enemy players or the traps.

I also want to ask, why are the three other jumping puzzles never camped to deny blue prints just this puzzle? Is it because it is so easy, almost requiring no skill, to deny others?

In no other part of WvW is their such an imbalance in favor of one side.

I don’t want to see the built in traps go I like their novelty but I don’t feel they are balanced if Anet feels they are, fine.

At the very least siege weapons as I said are too great an advantage and their deployment should be blocked.

I also view all the comments that say this is just complaining as rude, this is a valid point, complaining or not. Attacking players in a pvp zone is fine, I am questioning the balance of the built in traps.

in WvW

Posted by: Biam.9154

Biam.9154

Hmmm being killed by the opposing player in Player vs Player… I think that is working as intended. It ruins my game play when you PvE in PvP and then I have to que. If the puzzle and map completion is the only reason your in w3 then i suggest doing it during off peak hours and maybe it will be easier.

in WvW

Posted by: Deulon.6594

Deulon.6594

So pretty much you are complaining than people are pvping in a pvp area..

Interesting..

Let me give you a preview of what Anet is going to say about your complaint..

“Working as intended.”

in WvW

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

Diminishing returns are not in effect for player kills.

As for your problem with the puzzle, too bad. It’s a pvp area, pvp happens. As it happens I was looking through the ToS and RoC earlier and there was not a single mention of griefing there that I could find with a cursory look. Which is a shame, I really do wish they had put a note about it there, maybe something like Trion put in for Rift (they had the correct mindset: you cannot per definition grief a member of the opposing faction (here server)). So, what they are doing is well within the rules.

Also please note that every time you or someone else posts a thread about this you make those of us who do enjoy fighting in the puzzles happy as we can see that what we do is having the intended effect.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.4163

Nate.4163

I have no problem with PvP in the jumping puzzle, however I think there should be a way to complete the puzzle when out numbered.

I had this issue the other day. There was a constant fight in the area just before the dark room, 20+ players from opposing teams fighting each other. I was alone and got slaughtered the moment I entered. I returned but used the invisibility fountain before this area. It took me a number of tries to get through due to me getting caught in cross fire and loosing my invisibility. I eventually made it into the dark room and after getting through there I got to the circular room only to find it camped! At this point I gave up.

I actually found trying to negotiate my way in invisibility through a room full of cross fire quite enjoyable and very challenging. I think a fairly simple solution to jumping puzzle griefing would be to allow for invisibility to be available in the circular room. This could be done by extending the duration of the previous fountain or by adding a new one.

in WvW

Fey Zeal.7032

Wow no one reads, anything, I am not complaining about players killing players. I am questioning whether the traps are balanced.

“Do others think the traps are balanced?” Obviously, yes.

My main issue is with the siege weapons in the puzzle area, especialy in an area out of reach. The rest of WvW is balanced so one side with skill and strategy can over take the other. Why does the jumping puzzle get exemption?

You are all basically saying you are fine with the Jumping Puzzle being one sided.

in WvW

Posted by: Neutro.3079

Neutro.3079

To OP: if they can hit you with it, then you can hit them with something as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Hux.8739

Hux.8739

As a player who has made WvWvW his main endgame focus I’d like for all the puzzle jumpers to stop logging in to WvWvW altogether so we can get people that are actually interested in helping the war effort in there. If the enemy team is wasting their time killing you and making you not want to join 3W…awesome! Stop hurting our team by queuing please if you want to PvE in the zone.

Huxer(EC) Economic Collapse
Asura Warrior
BlackGate

in WvW

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I’d agree with you, But ANET is the one who decided to require WvW for 100% world completion. And they also chose to make jumping puzzles in there. So blaming people for trying to do the PVE content that was put into WvW for them to do, is stupid.

in WvW

Posted by: neoxide.7320

neoxide.7320

Sorrow’s Furnace does this on a daily basis. But somehow the occasional Darkhaven player attacks us from behind (which is impossible since we’ve blocked the only way up with siege). Not sure if a hack or if there is a 3rd mystic fountain invisibility buff that lasts long enough to get to the animal room.

in WvW

Posted by: StevieMJH.9105

StevieMJH.9105

Solution: get more people and keep trying.

I was a part of a 4-person defense in that room the other day. We had one arrow cart which was AOE’d down shortly, then we continued knocking people off the jumps and attempting to kill them from the top.

I can tell you from personal experience that it was a stressful and difficult defense. All it takes is one good Guardian pull or Necro fear and you’re done. Just try harder instead of waiting for them to fix something that is “ruining the game experience” for you.

Losing is part of the game experience.