Exploitable Bug Caught in Action: Abusing the Character on screen limit.

in WvW

Posted by: genesisicaras.7146

genesisicaras.7146

As a guild leader of one of the only ‘big’ WvW guilds on Desolation and a Commander; it’s often frustrating when we’re gaining ground and out of no where, 50-80 odd Vizunah Square players appear not next to us… but right in the middle of us.

It always made me wonder why if it was a simple matter of character’s on screen limit being reached, why they wouldn’t appear to the side of us and AoE us to death and we go “Welp, chuck testa”

However that isn’t the case: It’s a systematic abuse of game mechanics, we happened to scout the road ahead for once after being invisible-zerg destroyed three times in a row and we saw AT LEAST 50 VS [FR] players balling on top of each other. Now this wasn’t a “Re-group” they were purposefully all standing in the same location so that when they fanned out, the game (in all it’s badly designed glory) for handling multiple players on screen renders maybe 1 player every 3 seconds or so. Which means it can very quickly turn in to a “Oh it’s just one guy” to… "Oh wow, there are 5 rangers standing right inside of our grow who have all used their Binding Elite and a bunch of warriors using one hundred blades stomping us; this is fun!

I’ve seen guilds like War Legend do this multiple times and it’s always before a stop point.

I am not throwing random accusations out and I’ll aim to capture actual video footage of this, but my whole guild has seen it and anyone that was with me on that raid.

It makes roaming impossible; it makes capturing keeps impossible it makes any WvW where there are organized bug-abusing French (I label them as French as it’s a French server)

Somethign needs to be done.

- Icaras
Genesis Gaming Overlord
[GGEU]

in WvW

Posted by: Lofty.8759

Lofty.8759

You use that word exploit regularly, you should stop posting words.

in WvW

Posted by: orci.5019

orci.5019

Poor coding by ArenaNet, in this case client/server update limitations, are not exploits. I’m getting the “cry wolf” feeling in these official forums lately with everyone claiming anything to everything is an exploit.

Server: Yak’s Bend.
Main: Hunter.

in WvW

Posted by: Sir William PD.9615

Sir William PD.9615

How do they get 50 people to stand in one spot? I can’t even get 50 people to go to a general location on the map…

-Thoryn Stormbrew, Dolyak Slayer
Purple Dragons – Fort Aspenwood
www.purpledragons.net

in WvW

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

just cause you cant, doesnt mean others cant. This apply to your nightlife style as well..

in WvW

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

so what about spawn camping in wvw? what should i call that?

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in WvW

genesisicaras.7146

It’s an exploit if Teamspeak guilds are purposefully going invisible due to the games poor coding.

- Icaras
Genesis Gaming Overlord
[GGEU]

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

I’ve had a post up about this since the forums opened: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/BUG-Mobs-and-players-suddenly-appearing-pop-in

ArenaNet have yet to acknowledge the problem.

Yours is, I believe, the 21st thread on the topic.

in WvW

Posted by: Kalafax.9185

Kalafax.9185

Explioting a technically issue is still an expliot no matter how you try to defend your tactics. Blaming it on Anet doesnt make it ok.

Spawn camping isnt explioting, it just shows you have no honor or style.

in WvW

Posted by: Villagebase.8536

Villagebase.8536

I completely agree, I have been in WvW, almost destroyed the [FR] “Reinforced Wall” then get completely massacred by the invisible characters AoE’ing us.

in WvW

Posted by: Mode.5629

Mode.5629

Spawn camping isn’t exploit as you have special exits from you border spawns that you can use.
Exploting is Using Game mechanic/Design of the game by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game’s designers. If Anet intended players to go invisible using this mechanic they wouldn’t give thieves mass stealth would they?

TL:DR :ANet fix it please.

in WvW

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Explioting a technically issue is still an expliot no matter how you try to defend your tactics. Blaming it on Anet doesnt make it ok.

Spawn camping isnt explioting, it just shows you have no honor or style.

This.

in WvW

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

sup CD. i can’t wait for crystal desert to brag hardcore when this ends. talk about taking the glory out of victory.
Protip: don’t be a tool and brag when you know you win because no one is online to defend against you.
i’ve had enough of things like that in pay to win games.

Attachments:

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in WvW

Posted by: forever.6908

forever.6908

Completely agree, been through this kind of situation numerous times. It’s a huge issue, especially against huge WvW guilds and alliances.

in WvW

Posted by: albi.9518

albi.9518

I completely agree, I have been in WvW, almost destroyed the [FR] “Reinforced Wall” then get completely massacred by the invisible characters AoE’ing us.

This is a defense strategy that every organized guild uses (we saw Nugos defend their fortresses the exact same way).

I agree that the clipping is regrettable but there is nothing else to do than waiting for a fix about it, other than that it’s not really exploited on purpose, it’s just a defensive strategy (letting the attackers think the fort is not defended, like you told “it was almost destroyed”, then getting out at the exact same second with full force to wipe the opposing army using the surprising factor and, unfortunately, the clipping).

There are many counters to this strategy.

in WvW

genesisicaras.7146

It’s sad that not a word from Arena Net has been given.

- Icaras
Genesis Gaming Overlord
[GGEU]

in WvW

Posted by: Exewre.2837

Exewre.2837

Clipping is indeed a problem and its only a week old. i don’t know what dev did but it was not so much of a problem before
and if there is a technical issue, making at last the red tag name appear should be a medium solution
calling it bug-abusing seems strange since you can’t decide when you are visible or not. You can’t even know if you were or not visible afterhand. So staying crafting or doing jump puzzle seems the only way to no bug exploit in wvw

(edited by Exewre.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: arknor.6245

arknor.6245

theres a guild on shiverpeaks called ZD’s that constantly wipe out zergs like this.

theres atleast 30 of the same guild that do it.

everyone in the desolation zerg will die pretty much instantly and then all the Zd’s apear as if by magic

in WvW

Posted by: VisceralMonkey.6128

VisceralMonkey.6128

WvW is frankly, just broken in this game right now. Too many unfixed bugs and exploits leading to landslides and players quitting in frustration left and right. There’s just no point in playing on many of these servers, people are refusing to be farmed for the larger guilds/alliances using sheer numbers and issues like this to win. When it stops being fun, it stops getting played. I imagine the numbers are steadily decreasing for WvW and will continue to do so.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadaka.1978

Shadaka.1978

Give them time to fix it. Good grief people the game just launched just over a month ago.. MMO’ers have no patience these days..

in WvW

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

They should be cutting friendly player rendering before cutting enemy player rendering.

I don’t see why they can’t display the nameplates of “invisible” players, either.

in WvW

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

sounds like the old addage.

Warlocks ride in single file to hide their numbers :-D

in WvW

Posted by: Kayato.9178

Kayato.9178

in WvW

Posted by: username.4932

username.4932

Pathetic !

This is not an exploit but a game bug/limitation and it is the same for everyone. We surfer from this too at VS but we are too busy playing to come here and cry, that’s the difference

in WvW

Posted by: Troma.3250

Troma.3250

“I’ve seen guilds like War Legend do this multiple times and it’s always before a stop point.”

wat

Man, do you realize we use a lot of Mesmer teleport? you noticed that, heh? -_-

and for the clipping problem, nobody can control it ;o it’s server side… so before whining… and talking about “exploit bug”… my god…

co-founder of Grand Cross Alliance
General of Grand Cross Knights [GCK]
www.grandcross.fr/codex-gck

in WvW

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

Yeah, it’s pretty common for organized WvW guilds to all, for example, group up and have a Mesmer drop a portal so he can get them through the lines into a besieged keep. That’s just good tactics.

If there are culling issues related to that, it’s unfortunate and I do hope they fix that soon.

in WvW

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

Really not the first thread about that concern, but as in all of them, I’ve to agree!

Already commented in here!

in WvW

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

If they suddenly appear in the middle of you (and they were all from the same guild) odds are they used a Mesmer to portal in.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

in WvW

mcl.9240

It’s not a mesmer portal. The devs just acknowledged this problem last night, said they were aware of it, and they’re trying to figure out the best way to fix it.

in WvW

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

The culling is certainly the problem, but the particular case of, “they were all standing on top of each other; why would they do that?” can be easily answered by saying, "because there was a Mesmer [on the cliff above them|inside the keep near them|behind the nearby enemy siege weapons] that was about to portal the team to a strategic position.

When teams use Memser portals, it seems to really exacerbate the problem because all 30+ people are instantly moved right next to you instead of running in at a distance.

in WvW

mcl.9240

It can also be answered by, “they were all standing on top of each other because it’s becoming a standard tactic servers use to take advantage of the culling to sneak into the midst of a group of enemy and kill them before anyone ever sees them, thanks to the culling.”

in WvW

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

It is an exploit to use something broken in the game to gain an advantage. We all know it’s not some clever design to help people become invisible, after all!

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Exewre.2837

Exewre.2837

mesmer portal isn’t used to become invisible but to get on the back and have the firsts attacks( sometimes more with all idiots not even seing their life depleting or from where its coming) without being seen/ take ennemy in a 2 side pinch with no exit

in WvW

Posted by: Azzerhoden.5912

Azzerhoden.5912

Perhaps a solution is to show an icon of hostile players in the minimap when a certain critical mass is reached.