Fast cast ground targeting and arrow carts?

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’m still fairly new at WvW and haven’t tried many siege weapons.

I hopped on an arrow cart once, but didn’t see any targeting control. Is this because I’m personally set up to use fast-cast (i.e. where my mouse is pointing) on ground-targeted skills?

Having never tried an arrow cart before, I felt pretty foolish not being able to see where it was shooting.

Thx for any suggestions or clarifications

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I’m not set for fast cast but this is how I see it working.

It will hit in the area of your cursor. The cursor should be the center of the area it covers. Your cursor should turn red if it is out of range.

A few places it is wonky is when they are sitting at the top of the cliff inside the wall above the south outer hills gate. You can have your cursor well away from the cliff thinking you are aiming for the stairs but it still directs the arrows in a horizontal fashion toward the side of the cliff instead of on the stairs.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

in WvW

Posted by: Lifewaster.5912

Lifewaster.5912

Yes, need to toggle it off to get used to aiming carts properly.

Once its off you can still fire fairly fast by double pressing the skill hotkey , rather then pressing once and then leftclicking.

in WvW

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

Thx for the help. Does this apply to other weapons as well? Maybe cannons?

I guess I’ll need to get used to adjusting that setting if I’m going to be operating siege

in WvW

Posted by: Jyeoi.6027

Jyeoi.6027

Once you know the size of the circle, you can use fast ground targeting again. Same goes to all your other aoe circle type skills.

Yulo – Champions of Stormbluff [SBI]

in WvW

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Generally, I’ve found it easier to operate siege by cursor instead of holding down the mouse button and looking around. Often arrow carts are placed in a spot that is difficult to target from below, and you may have to contort the camera angle just to get a small area that you want to hit on your screen.

Cannons are fairly straight forward, placed on the outside edge of the wall and typically has a very wide unobstructed view. They also usually get taken out before arrow carts.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

(edited by CreativeAnarchy.6324)

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Sometimes you need to adjust your screen aspect ratio to get a wider field of view.
That allows you to see areas that are normally just not visible.

Until I figured that one out I was seriously frustrated by the positioning of arrow carts.

in WvW

Posted by: MrShaunWilson.1502

MrShaunWilson.1502

Many people do not use the fast-cast option because the ring is missing. Despite trying to retrain them, they are inefficient with this config. Often pulling u-turn, overrun and straight-strafing tactics to lay anything down reasonably well.

I think for these players that need the visual assistance it would be cool, and they would start to play way more efficiently.

That said, I hate the ring myself. I prefer using my mouse pointer for targeting. If Anet Dev changes this, please add an option to turn the ring off (independent of the fast-cast option itself) and simply default it to enabled.

Commander Plexie // GoM

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

Many people do not use the fast-cast option because the ring is missing. Despite trying to retrain them, they are inefficient with this config. Often pulling u-turn, overrun and straight-strafing tactics to lay anything down reasonably well.

I think for these players that need the visual assistance it would be cool, and they would start to play way more efficiently.

Yeah, players like Teldo are just awful because they don’t use fast-cast and “need the ring.”

Next, you’re going to tell us your keybind setup is superior to all others and makes you more efficient.

TLDR; stop being myopic.

[AoN] All or Nothing

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Shaun has a good point – one that many people agree with.
However you look at it, one keypress is faster than a keypress and a mouseclick. Unless you misjudge the range and blow the CD.

It’s just a matter of whether you sacrifice speed or certainty, which comes down to a personal choice. Heisenberg’s Principle rules.

in WvW

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

However you look at it, one keypress is faster than a keypress and a mouseclick.

A double keypress is also an option.

While your statement is true, the total time spent on a double-keypress is still very small (doubling a tiny amount of time is still a tiny amount of time). While in theory you gain an advantage using fast-cast, in practice the difference is negligible and often can be detrimental (no one is perfect, although of course this works both ways).

Edit: I would be negligent in failing to mention I loved your comparison between fast-cast on/off and Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle <3

[AoN] All or Nothing

(edited by Xirin.8593)