Friendly fire?

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Snowpea.5469

Snowpea.5469

Damage you deal to your team is doubled back onto yourself.

Imagine how this would stop mega-zergs focus firing single targets. Your archers and AOEs would have to use some intelligence and not fire into melee. You could still fight when outnumbered, defend gateways. It would probably open up an otherwise pretty boring WvW experience to new and interesting tactics.

Worth a try?

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Any kind of friendly fire would be too easy to abuse with spies and trolls.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Most skills in this game are AoE/Cleave. It would be a complete disaster in any scenario that isn’t 1v1.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: displayname.8315

displayname.8315

Reflect fields turn projectile range attacks into friendly fire. It can actually wipe a pew-pew heavy zerg if their not careful. It’s kinda lame imo but good melee players should be able to handle their health.

JQ subsidiary

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

The game can barely handle enemy versus enemy. Friendly fire would literally blow up anet.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

Most skills in this game are AoE/Cleave. It would be a complete disaster in any scenario that isn’t 1v1.

Cue the Benny Hill music.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Snowpea.5469

Snowpea.5469

Any kind of friendly fire would be too easy to abuse with spies and trolls.

Ok, what if all the friendly fire damage you ONLY did to yourself?

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Is this a real suggestion?

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

A very weak form of friendly fire would alrady do it, and cannot be abused:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/How-can-we-changed-WvW-to-prevent-the-blob/4821283

How about a weaker form of friendly fire (which has to many negative side-effects)

Every Friend in your AoE Area count against your AoE-Limit

So if you put AoE onto an area with 5 friends you do no damage. I guess this will take out all teeth of the Blob-Stacking Meta.

This will make single-target skills more valuable as single target skills will be the only way to hit enemies in your blob.

It will make small groups valuable that can “hide” in the enemy blob.

Both could need an upgrade for large-scale fights.

Generally I would propose the following priority in AoE target selection:
Invisible Friends > Invisible Enemies > Visible Friends > Visible Enemies
I.e. you only hit a visible enemy with AoE, if there there are less than 3/5 friends or invisible enemies in your target area, you only hit invisible enemies if there are less than 3/5 invisible friends in your target area. The higher priority for invisibles is needed as you cannot target them with directed skills.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Imagine how this would stop mega-zergs focus firing single targets. Your archers and AOEs would have to use some intelligence and not fire into melee. You could still fight when outnumbered, defend gateways. It would probably open up an otherwise pretty boring WvW experience to new and interesting tactics.

Worth a try?

Just roam or pvp If you cant handle mega zerks instead of trying to change how WvW works. XD

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Ranys.4028

Ranys.4028

cough do you know combo fields? cough
Commi: Yes Zerk, let’s blast a fire field. Who wants to offer their life for us to blast for some might? After all, the damage we take while blasting it will be doubled back to you

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

A very weak form of friendly fire would alrady do it, and cannot be abused:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/How-can-we-changed-WvW-to-prevent-the-blob/4821283

How about a weaker form of friendly fire (which has to many negative side-effects)

So if you put AoE onto an area with 5 friends you do no damage. I guess this will take out all teeth of the Blob-Stacking Meta.

This will make single-target skills more valuable as single target skills will be the only way to hit enemies in your blob.

It will make small groups valuable that can “hide” in the enemy blob.

Both could need an upgrade for large-scale fights.

Generally I would propose the following priority in AoE target selection:
Invisible Friends > Invisible Enemies > Visible Friends > Visible Enemies
I.e. you only hit a visible enemy with AoE, if there there are less than 3/5 friends or invisible enemies in your target area, you only hit invisible enemies if there are less than 3/5 invisible friends in your target area. The higher priority for invisibles is needed as you cannot target them with directed skills.

Interesting idea. But…

Scenario: 5 enemies are capturing the Wildcreek tower. The lord is at 50% health and I rush in for the rescue. I manage to create 3 illusions while the enemies do not pay attention to me. I move into middle of them and hit Mind Wrack to shatter the clones. Since there are now 5 friendly targets in the area Mind Wrack does no damage. (1 tower lord, 3 clones and myself)

I guess you would not count NPCs as friendly targets which consume AoE charges.

Scenario: 4 melee jarheads are attacking a downed mesmer in the Wildcreek lord room. They are spamming #1 skills which are AoE cleave attacks. They are standing right on top of the mesmer so everyone is within each other’s the cleave area. Since there are 3 friendly targets in the area, the cleaves do no damage.

Would you exclude cleave attacks? If so then you are on a slippery slope to apply this feature on specific skills only.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I’ve said it before, friendly fire in any form is the best way to get rid of zergs in the game. They will quite literally blow themselves up. But I don’t think it would make for a very fun game.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Only siege weapons should do friendly fire. Goodbye gate trebs and open field acs.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Interesting idea. But…

Scenario: 5 enemies are capturing the Wildcreek tower. The lord is at 50% health and I rush in for the rescue. I manage to create 3 illusions while the enemies do not pay attention to me. I move into middle of them and hit Mind Wrack to shatter the clones. Since there are now 5 friendly targets in the area Mind Wrack does no damage. (1 tower lord, 3 clones and myself)

Scenario: 4 melee jarheads are attacking a downed mesmer in the Wildcreek lord room. They are spamming #1 skills which are AoE cleave attacks. They are standing right on top of the mesmer so everyone is within each other’s the cleave area. Since there are 3 friendly targets in the area, the cleaves do no damage.

Would you exclude cleave attacks? If so then you are on a slippery slope to apply this feature on specific skills only.

Yes, in scenario 5 inclusion of minions and NPC’s isn’t indended.

In scenario 4 it works as intended I would say, if none is bright enough to step out of melee aoe they earned the result. But one could also debate, that the target is always prio 1, i.e. AoE degenerates to a single target skill in the presence of freinds.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: bgoodwin.3428

bgoodwin.3428

Oh hell no. Do you know how many times my own guild would kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Oh hell no. Do you know how many times my own guild would kill me!!!!!!!!!!!!

mine does that all the time using other means :/

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: RageBear.8957

RageBear.8957

“DD thief with Revealed Training single handedly eliminates half of enemy zerg”

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Would be a to huge change. I personaly would like realistic FF and knocking people from the walls/cliffs …
As mentioned it woudl lead to some grieving by people attacking the own realm and make this possible with free accoutnts will only increase this problem …

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

The whole concept of turning allied players into a detriment is just laughable on the face of it. There’s no reason to even entertain such a ridiculous idea.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Interesting idea. But…

Yes, in scenario 5 inclusion of minions and NPC’s isn’t indended.

In scenario 4 it works as intended I would say, if none is bright enough to step out of melee aoe they earned the result. But one could also debate, that the target is always prio 1, i.e. AoE degenerates to a single target skill in the presence of freinds.

Problem with this is that you have no control over your “friends”. When it comes to combat movement, everyone is a pug. There is no time to tell people to get away from your leap or tp or just standing there.

Basicly, such a change would punish players for playing together. In an MMO. More specifically, an MMO with factions and heavy emphasis on teamplay and comboing inside others AoE fields.

Think about that for a moment.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Mylerian.9176

Mylerian.9176

Worth a try?

Drugs are bad Mmkay!

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Isn’t this kinda already in place… we just call it retaliation, and reflections.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Would be nice to have a more convenient way to shoot someone that’s on the same server. Lining them up between yourself and a reflect wall can be tricky.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Worth a try?

Nope, nope, nope.

This encourages outnumbering even more. The enemy when outnumbered needs to deal objectively more damage overall than the larger group does, indicating that it will need to heal objectively more while also potentially taking damage.

Thus, since it has fewer resources in numbers, it will be incapable of keeping up, as the big blob could just have every member perform a single, non-life-threatening AA on the smaller group and it’d probably be enough to instantly one-push the smaller group, which would be incapable of out-healing it and incapable of dealing damage back.

Friendly fire?

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Catastrophic disaster. Makes zero sense this suggestion.

You’d have a million trolls spamming AoE skills everywhere. Not to mention new players or those too lazy to put effort into aiming.