Fun WvW Interview w/ Anet Devs

in WvW

Posted by: Draegan.1472

Draegan.1472

Hey that song is awesome. Thanks for watching guys.

in WvW

Posted by: neverborne.4736

neverborne.4736

Also, the way they brush off population issues is incredibly disheartening. I’m on a T1 server and I can tell you WvW is definitely withering away and I can only imagine how much worse it will be by the time they finally get around to this “big” patch. NA prime time, we often have only 5 – 10 people on the enemy borderland maps. The pops are going down the tubes. Server merges, or “WvW teaming” two servers together needs to happen.

in WvW

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

Well, that’s disappointing. There’s no reason for me to return to Guild Wars 2.

I was hoping that ArenaNet would do -something- with WvWvW… but I guess it really isn’t a priority for them. That’s okay, the rest of the game was fun for a once through so I did get my money’s worth.

in WvW

Posted by: Waking.6052

Waking.6052

The lass in this interview was really antagonistic and annoying imo.

Good interview though, it’s good to hear they like playing the game a lot.

Guardian Commander “The Lord Saves”
Mesmer Commander “The Lord Knows”
Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

When asked about actual new content like maps, they say they need to prioritize and that it takes time to make those.

Yes, this was a let down to me.

If it takes so much time to make new maps why can they make 4 new maps (small ones granted) a month for these holiday events?

February is supposed to be the month of WvW, so we’ll see how it goes, but it really didn’t sound like they were planing on doing much at all…

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

They probably didnt talk about everything they are going to do for febs update, because not everything is finalized.

But if the size of the updates weve gotten each month is any indicator I think it will be bigger than any of the people here expect.

and the whole ‘anet doesnt care about wvw’ thing is getting on my nerves because I really see no evidence of that.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Didn’t they say that we were getting a full expansion’s worth of free content some time in February/March? Because if so there’s no reason to complain about anything other than the jumping puzzles eating up man power.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Draygo.9473

Yep there is supposed to be a major WvW patch in feb.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Incomingray.8075

Incomingray.8075

I also feel it seems like alot of people are just looking at the summary post as if it’s some kind of big announcement and that’s all there will be and they didn’t listen to the talk.. i’m glad they’re taking care of keeping the overall game strong, it’s too bad alot of resources have to go to the majority of the player base and not me but lifes tough in mmo land for pvpers(I remember when WoW outright DELETED worldpvp from their game with the dishonorable kill system, Warhammer self destructed several times, Aion was a joke, as was rift, etc.)

Loving WvW so far in this game despite the obvious issues, hopefully all the people doing fractals and dungeons in general are figuring out their classes real good for the february patch… hope it’s a good patch, nothing in this talk made me think it shouldn’t be.

in WvW

Posted by: dooger.2640

dooger.2640

Didn’t they say that we were getting a full expansion’s worth of free content some time in February/March? Because if so there’s no reason to complain about anything other than the jumping puzzles eating up man power.

huh? the game is not playable other than culling zerg garbage gameplay.

We already did an organized departure, a few of us remain hopeful the game will reach a bare min required for world pvp someday, and will come back.

Lets not pretend the current game state is anything other than unacceptable in quality, and too low on pvp content to retain players interest while waiting to reach minimal quality standards.

That said I really hope the feb patch rocks, I would love this game to be the successor to Daoc/Warhammer. I don’t need fluff, just fix the kitten culling crap so a skill team can effectively engage a zerg like we have been doing in old games for the last 10 years ..

(edited by dooger.2640)

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

We already did an organized departure, a few of us remain hopeful the game will reach a bare min required for world pvp someday, and will come back.

Lets not pretend the current game state is anything other than unacceptable in quality, and too low on pvp content to retain players interest while waiting to reach minimal quality standards.

You must have played on terrible servers if your experiences limited you to “culling zerg garbage gameplay”.

in WvW

Posted by: Urrid.4593

Urrid.4593

Hey, a zerg is walking past/ This is crazy / I can’t escape them…so cull me, maybe?

Okay I laughed.

Finally listened to the whole thing (minus the song) and I thought that maybe people were bandwagon-ing and being needlessly doom and gloom.

Nope, it bad. It is real bad. This whole interview was anti-PR.

Anet, the next month is critical. What you’re seeing here is not typical forum tears from 12 year olds with no clue.

And for Kittens-sake, fix the tower/keep/castle wall jumping. For the love of Dolyaks tone down breakout events. For the love of Rurik fix the invulnerable spots in the borderlands, its small but it generates a HUGE amount of reports for your reports team. Moving one or two bounding boxes will drastically reduce report volume from WvW’ers.

The invulnerable spot isn’t a “game changer” in the mechanical sense but it shows the WvW’ers that month after month and patch after patch, that you’re not agile in fixing even the smallest of problems.

One thing we have to remember… we’ve already bought the game. Any more profit Anet can expect to make off of us is from the gem store… and us WvWers tend not to care about that sort of stuff as much. If Anet is concerned at all about profit they’ll spend most of their energy on the PvE “collector” type players… It’s plain business sense, disappointing though it may be.

Then make skins for Rams, Arrow Carts, Balista, Catapults, and Trebs. If I could launch over sized banicle- encrusted Treb payloads at little kittens that need to die, I would sink / gold / money into the gem store to get it.

Instead, we get presents, from a one off PvE holiday event. Just like we got pumpkins from a one off PvE holiday event. They have this functionality. They should use it to make money! Make money from WvW = more people working on WvW = more money…

Anet’s monitization is criminal and that department is either being grossly mismanaged or its full of incompetents. Oh whatever. Not like anyone reads anything.

Coral -Mesmer- Omnomnivore and TC’er.

(edited by Urrid.4593)

in WvW

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

what i’m waiting for is to make being on one world different than being on another. right now i’m not sure what makes wvw players on one server different than wvw players on another.
i’d ask this question especially to pve players.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in WvW

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

You must have played on terrible servers if your experiences limited you to “culling zerg garbage gameplay”.

Playing on the EB map tonight, sitting on a ballista in the Overlook Keep, I could not get a target on the zerg that was attacking Veloka because of the “culling zerg garbage gameplay”.

The server has nothing to do with it. A ballista needs a target in order to shoot.

Obviously Anet has this as one of their top priorties, but it’s just not enough.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.5871

Sin.5871

- I hope, auto-loot is on your list for WvW changes, we keep hope about it.
- And maybe some anet staff could do manual notice in game before WvW shutdown, while auto message is not implemented.

in WvW

Posted by: dreztina.4820

dreztina.4820

I kind of feel bad for the devs, getting this kind of response to an interview they were obviously happy with. But, maybe this’ll help them understand how frustrated people are right now.

Out of Attunement – D/D Ele
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Sin.5871

Sin.5871

I kind of feel bad for the devs, getting this kind of response to an interview they were obviously happy with. But, maybe this’ll help them understand how frustrated people are right now.

Well, they didn’t decide to talk with us like other dev groups on reddit for Q/A.

in WvW

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Well, they didn’t decide to talk with us like other dev groups on reddit for Q/A.

To be fair, them talking on reddit is 99% PR fluff with no substance.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

No new maps. This alone is frustrating in the extreme. The current maps are too small, which promotes zerging, and having 3 identical maps is lame. This alone is quite worrying and shows how out of touch they are.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in WvW

Posted by: dooger.2640

dooger.2640

The fact you don’t grasp the culling problems means you have no idea how to effectively maneuver a small group vs a large zerg.

It also means you don’t grasp culling is a design level defect in gw2, and is not server specific..

I have no doubt the game will retain players that simply pve doors, there are no culling issues with running in a pack to bang on the next door.

in WvW

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

Great interview!

I’m glad to hear that they are putting some serious effort into the February patch, that they announced that the 1 week matchup is here to stay ( I didn’t even know that was official! )

Thank you ANet!

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

in WvW

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

Watch the interview.
They didn’t say there won’t be new maps, they just said that atleast now they won’t do separated borderlands.

I STILL BELIEVE in a new set of maps, new borderland and eternal battlegrounds, and make it change in cycles, one week our maps now, next week another set, then actual one again and it goes along as they add more maps… I hope… Soon, as in February, please.

Thanks for posting the interview, Colin, it was fun and interasting.
Here’s really hoping February will be huge for WvW.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

in WvW

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

well it’s fun but THERE IS NO REWARD, thus no point to play, WvW is waste of time, i better go dungeon for more gold.

I’m sad to hear that the act of playing the game isn’t fun for them. That seems to be a common problem.

If they added some variety in it then it would remain fun, but doing the same thing EVERY DAY, EVERY WEEK, EVERY MONTH against faceless anonymous people is hardly what I call fun. Look at how many big/hardcore WvW guilds exist now. Boredom gets the better of you sooner or later.

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Ksielvin.1587

Ksielvin.1587

Cliff notes:
-So no new maps in the near future
-1 week cycles for matches will continue
-Culling is being worked on
-We have talked about population issues but don’t design for it
-Paid transfers at some point in the future, but transfers are not that big of an issue
-Progression/rewards in Feb patch
-Live scoring no time soon (via website)
-Nothing major till feb patch.
-No UI changes (raid tools etc.)
-No changes to commander system

Did I miss anything?

Thank you for the notes.

in WvW

Posted by: Miragee.3604

Miragee.3604

On the one hand I think it’s comforting that they are at least addressing the “progression” issue. But then it is only a very minor issue, in the grant scheme of things.

People who play WvW because they enjoy WvW, the battle and strategies, do not need “progression”. “Progression” is merely something to grind, a sort of stepping stones to bring you to the fun. The perfect war simulation should have no such thing as “progression”. But maybe that is an unrealistic vision. Expect more PvE’er incoming in February, and no, they’re not here to play the war, they’re here to grind for their legendaries.

That said, can we at least have Fort Aspenwood (from GW1) back as an sPvP mode? That was what I was thinking about at the very beginning when you announced no healers in GW2. Finally no more WoH+AoE+PnH combo hiding behind a wall healing that kurzick elementalist! That game and GW2 is a perfect match!

As much as I loved Fort Aspenwood: You know that kurzicks didn’t stand any chance without a monk on this map? : /

in WvW

Posted by: Aieo.2815

Aieo.2815

My only issue is stale matchups. Pretty sure everybody in T1 NA are tired of seeing each other faces. T2 NA has a lot of energy ever since someone new came along.

Sea of Sorrows > Jade Quarry > Sea of Sorrows
Effing rallybot

in WvW

Posted by: Xae.7204

Xae.7204

I’m getting sick and tired of every feature of this game I try to enjoy being ignored in favor some some “me too!” E-Sports crap.

in WvW

Posted by: jkctmc.8754

jkctmc.8754

Anet, if you are listening. Some changes you might consider.

Guild Commander Tags – These are tags only guild members can see. Make them show as a gold icon on the map.

Camp upgrades – Allow for more, better upgrades for smaller guilds to defend camps, those guilds who can’t really afford to upgrade towers/keeps. Something like putting up easy to break walls, set up traps, or any number of things.

Character travel time – I thought you had the right idea giving the Ranger, Necro, and Elementalist a full time 25% run speed, even though I didn’t think the Elementalist needed it. But you forgot the two slowest classes in the game, the Guardian, and the Mesmer. Please consider adding a more reliable movement speed for these two classes.

Orbs – These should be keep specific items that are captured, and moved to a keep to strengthen those who fight “inside the keeps”.

Guild buffs placed on claimed keeps – These should be zone wide for the guild.

World vs world should be a FOUR SERVER MATCH UP.

I have a lot more ideas, but alas work is taking me away.

Renno – Stonegard – Aece
80 Thief – 80 Warrior – 80 Guardian – 80 Ranger
80 Mesmer – 80 Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Ruan Jacobz.1398

Ruan Jacobz.1398

Guild Commander Tags – These are tags only guild members can see. Make them show as a gold icon on the map.

Man that sounds awesome. Maybe ones for officers as well so a guild can perform proper operations with teams and stuff.

-dances like a kid in a candy store-

in WvW

Posted by: SoulstitchMMO.1396

SoulstitchMMO.1396

The developers have known for over a year the problems that WvW would have, and is having. Over a year. The Commander issues, maybe 6-8 monts, but they’ve known about it all for a very long time.

It just doesn’t seem like they are taking WvW Seriously, at all. Lack of Commander tools is a huge issue. I mean really it’s just horrible implementation. They wanted the game to be casual friendly, but are expecting people to scoop ice cream with a knife.

Also, the cost to WvW is unreasonable compared to PvE. There is no cost associated with doing events. In Orr you can do temple events, do mass zone events, and spend nothing other than repair bills and get massive rewards.

In WvW this is not the case, and they’ve known about it for a very long time. They just aren’t respecting the player base. This is why it’s important to have experienced gamers working for your company. I know Izzy is good, and experienced, but I’m not so sure about Habib. He needs to actually dedicate some serious personal time to WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: Setima.8741

Setima.8741

And this is what I was telling people and warning Anet about two months ago. They may not want to take WvW seriously, but there’s so few games that have 3v3 server type battles like this, they must be completely money hungry to ignore an aspect of the game that almost everybody plays or tries. You can put all the blame on Anet, they had Guild Wars for what, 7 years now? They should know at this point, at least as much if not better than Blizzard, how to balance and cater to PvP players. In tPvP/sPvP there should have been double the amount of maps out of the gate, and at least some sort of randomness to the WvW map layouts instead of 3 of the 4 just being palette swaps.

I can’t even give them credit for being cautious about throwing too much into PvP before knowing whether or not it would be a hit because there’s PvP games out there, some even free to play that are nothing BUT PvP and they rake in the money. Anet has had years of data rolling in showing just how crazy PvP is in games, including the dreadnaught World of Warcraft.

I think Anet is doing the reverse of what they should be doing. They focus so much on tPvP / sPvP and that mode of play is less accessible to the common PvE player than WvW is, especially when you have to get a team together, have voice chat, etc to be able to withstand a good team. Lets assume in WvW, 5% of all the players that join in are the “real” PvPers, the ones that will play it as long as there’s a red name on their screens. So that of course leaves 95% of the players remaining as the PvE players. The ones who cry on these forums when they lose to a Thief, the ones in there to do their dailies or monthly achievements, the ones following a zerg and keyboard turning, the ones doing the jumping puzzles for loot. These players make up the bulk of what WvW is and when you don’t please them, they leave.

There’s just not enough reward in place to please modern players, especially after a good majority of them probably started with World of Warcraft, a game that literally gives you epic items just for logging in a few times a week. WvW rewards should have been on par with the tPvP / sPvP rewards right off the bat with the intent to add 5~10 new armor sets and weapons every 3 months or so after that, to keep the PvE players running after their carrots and to give the PvPers some red names to erase.

I think Anet should understand that “fun” is really only proportional to the “reward” players get from doing the “work”. When the success of PvP depends on the amount of candy you can give to a PvE player, you better keep up with them or they’ll drop you like a bad habit and tell all their friends about it. It sucks, but that’s just how gamers today are. The golden age of MMOs is over, there’s not going to be those “played it for 8 years!” types anymore. I’d like to see this game do better, but if WvW, maps and rewards aren’t up to par, can you really expect anybody to stick around past February?

(edited by Setima.8741)

in WvW

Posted by: Tajz.9826

Tajz.9826

Their hint for the Feb patch is that it will address player progression. When asked about actual new content like maps, they say they need to prioritize and that it takes time to make those. It seems they can’t even find the time to make a website for live updates. What exactly are they working on then that’s supposed to be a big deal in Feb?

I will now make a predication.

The “big WvW patch” in February will do the following:

- Ascended Items are now available from vendors in your home Borderlands! Each piece requires 2000 badges of honour.

If they wanna do just that i think they can just do it today -=-’’. One NPC with a simple coding to link their existing item take them less than an hour to make…

Seriously it’s last hope for our WvWer on Feb. If it fails to deliver something exciting i think they will lose a lot of their player base to some other games. They need to realise that WvW is at least 1/3 of their end game apart from PvE/SPvP… Come on Anet, give us more reward more incentive to play in WvW. Your redundant on the map is sad enough but playing without reward (even worse like gold sink) is just seriously worst…

[LP][HB]Nirvii, Proud Elementalist of Thai Alliance
Commander of Blackgate
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRsSk4l0T4

in WvW

Posted by: ViperWire.4261

ViperWire.4261

Hi Anet.

Can I has WvW updates please?

I’m said please, maybe that is the secret to getting Anet interested in helping the biggest portion of their player base.

But then again, they think PvEr’s buy more gems than hardcore WvWr’s, so that is where the focus will go; if it means more gem sales.

Invalid Password [EVOH] – Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: jojojoon.8607

jojojoon.8607

Their hint for the Feb patch is that it will address player progression. When asked about actual new content like maps, they say they need to prioritize and that it takes time to make those. It seems they can’t even find the time to make a website for live updates. What exactly are they working on then that’s supposed to be a big deal in Feb?

I will now make a predication.

The “big WvW patch” in February will do the following:

- Ascended Items are now available from vendors in your home Borderlands! Each piece requires 2000 badges of honour.

If they wanna do just that i think they can just do it today -=-’’. One NPC with a simple coding to link their existing item take them less than an hour to make…

Seriously it’s last hope for our WvWer on Feb. If it fails to deliver something exciting i think they will lose a lot of their player base to some other games. They need to realise that WvW is at least 1/3 of their end game apart from PvE/SPvP… Come on Anet, give us more reward more incentive to play in WvW. Your redundant on the map is sad enough but playing without reward (even worse like gold sink) is just seriously worst…

They will add 1 npc to EB to sell ascended gear. If they add a npc to each borderland map, it might take an additional month. So, I’m actually fine with just 1 npc in EB to sell ascended gear. I don’t want the patch to be delayed until March just so there are 3 more npcs with one at each borderland map.

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

Never saw this end up on the forums so figured I’d share ->

http://www.guildwars2junkies.com/2012/12/18/guildcenter-121712-special-guests-habib-loew-matt-witter-anet-wvw-devs/

Interview section starts about 25 minutes in, some useful info looking ahead for all of you in there who love WvW. Don’t (or do?) miss the song at the start!

I just been trolled by a dev
Like some ppl said, wvw is the end game, and nothin new since launch (break event = no more upgrades for south towers = invincible siege? rly? -.-)
Idk, im just bored of the game :S
So, cya in … not in feb, in the next patch :S

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

in WvW

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

Listen to what they say instead off making up stuff, they want to make ranking system better rewards and so on but [bold]they need to figure out how to do it[/bold]

The game has been live for 3.5 months now, and I sure hope they’re not in the “we have to figure out how to do this” stage of something that probably should have been in at launch.

Just like sPvP and it’s desire to be an eSport – 3.5 months in and much of the very basic stuff needed to be an eSport still don’t exist – just how did they expect sPvP to be an eSport with the features there at launch?

in WvW

Posted by: Tajz.9826

Tajz.9826

Guys keep posting more feedback/complaint here. Anet need to acknowledge this before it’s getting to page2! Keep em coming!

Guru forum is now dying down as well. Not a lot of ppl been posting in Stormmist lately it’s another indication that WvW population is dying down. Anet, u gotta fix us fast! Bored PvE, WvW sux, No end game will create a mass exodus of players from GW2 for sure as it’s already been happened now. No ppl playing, your system that rely on players number to make the event happeen will not be operate meaning even you sell more games, it doesnt last very long! U gotta keep players play too Anet!

[LP][HB]Nirvii, Proud Elementalist of Thai Alliance
Commander of Blackgate
Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRsSk4l0T4

in WvW

Posted by: Ljiona.9142

Ljiona.9142

I just don’t get it. WvW was one of the unique features of GW2. It hasn’t been done since DAOC and tons of people were excited about it. After release, it gets totally ignored. It was your bread and butter. I do not understand why they focus on PVE…if we cared about that, we would play WoW. sPvP is the same thing. I just cannot understand why MMO companies over the last 10 years self-destruct. Is there something in the kool-aid you drink?

in WvW

Draygo.9473

Not quite, they didnt rule out changes to UI or changes to the commander system. They were talking about why it was in its current state and that they plan to improve it, while changes can be considered unlikely, we might be suprised.

And habib wants live scoring as soon as possible, but there are probably other priorities for the web team at the moment.

Also WvW hasnt been ‘totally ignored’.

The only thing thats totally gamebreaking in wvw is culling, and we already have evidence that they are working on a fix, but its a lot more difficult than we seem to understand.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I love it the big update and progression will likely be 1 vendor selling Ascended Rings and Backpieces at ludicrous prices.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

(edited by Relentliss.2170)

in WvW

Posted by: hugemistake.5317

hugemistake.5317

All these problems I am going to list have to addressed if Anet even wants to consider giving WvW a surviving a chance in a few months.

Anet needs to redo the rewarding system.
Too many people that contribute to the actually winning of the matches aren’t rewarded.

1. If you revive an ally that has been killed while a tower is under attack, it doesn’t count towards the defend event.
2. If you run supplies from a camp to a tower while it isn’t being attacked to repair, you aren’t rewarded.
3. f you are the trebuchet manner who’s been working to take down that fortified wall and not there for the actual attack, you are not rewarded.
4. If you are the scout keeper on Bay while Hill is being attacked to make sure that no surprise retaliation is imminent you get no reward while everyone else gets 1/5th of a level, 1.5k karma and 10 silver.

As I placed in the suggestion forum, tower and keep captures rewards should be map wide, and I’ve also listed some reasons why it wouldn’t be a broken mechanic.

1. You can be a spy with 12 gold and literally put a supply cap on any borderland. Yes it’s a hefty price but it is currently being abused in some of the matches,
2. People taking supplies from a tower or keep that is so desperately trying to inch into the last upgrade is never completed (mostly pugs do this) even when everyone is telling that person to stop, 1 person can really ruin it for everyone.
3. Downed State is a major problem in wvw, because securing kills is being harder and harder, just bringing someone to 0 hp doesn’t bring any sort of reward, this brings out the game of number vs number, being outmanned 2 to 3 is not 50% harder of a fight, but easily 3 or 4 times, it rises up exponentially.
4. Towers and Keeps are being upgraded less and less because people are less inclined to upgrade them cause they get no personal reward out of it, spend 5 gold upgrading smc, only to wake up to find it gone.
5. Bad tutorial system, the tutorial explains towers and keeps, but it doesn’t explain siege weapons, what they do, the function and importance of SUPPLIES (The kitten blood of wvw, 10 supply is worth a player in offensive and defensive values) if you are running without supplies you are really half the man power you can be.
6. The buying system is punishing to committed wvw players and commanders. You make the exotic equips only purchasable through badges which is fair, but the most effective way to gain badges is through jumping puzzles not actual WvW action. Buying siege weapons is only possible through gold which WvW is less than stellar to provide and badges, which forces a player to hold off on their exotics. It has been suggested numerous times to bring in a third currency system, through points from defending, capturing points or karma, but our voices are rarely heard.
7. Stealth is the worst mechanic that is in open WvW combat, if a thief wants to kill a dolyak, it is going down, unless you get about 5 people to escort dolyak that takes 5 minutes to walk from point A to point B. There is no system to counter it and the oppposing end is helpless to stop them from doing what the want even if they are freaken 2 feet away form the stealth user.
8. Guard upgrades sucks more donkey nuts than the kitten ground that it lays upon. They are absolute trash, two people will always be able to take out all the guards without much trouble. Lord’s room never gets more guards from the upgrade which is really a flawed designed in my opinion. The Lord never benefits from the guard upgrade as well.
9. What the hell is the point of the outfitter upgrade? no one uses it. Siegemaster makes a bit of sense I suppose, but something like a merchant that sells Ash Legion Spy Kits or Hero’s Elixir (4 second invulnerability) or Nourishment material would make far more sense and be an actual useful upgrade.
10. Glitching through door or wall exploits.

Should we actually change the magnitude of the reward per person? no
But we should be changing the reward system, but right now its terrible.
It only encourages non-commited wvw players to zerging an not defending or repairing.

I’d like to see these ideas being slowly tested and implemented. I can’t add much to that, you said it all.

I really hope to see some serious WvW love in February. If Anet disappoints then i’ll just silently leave.

in WvW

Posted by: Vodka.3958

Vodka.3958

The huge change that everyone is looking for will most likely be in the next expansion since this upcoming WvW patch won’t do much :/

Commander [ICoa] Hollywood Fiend
Primal Emperor of Imperial Coalition
imperialcoalition.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: PredatoR.5247

PredatoR.5247

i believe they should concentrate wvw around guilds.
who gives a crap about pugs who do it for monthly / dailies.
They are useless and fill up queue times / get in the way of guilds trying to win.
Jumping puzzles need to be removed from WvW, get these roleplayers off our maps and making queue’s, kitten pisses me off, thanks.

Jericho The Usurper[Agg] – Aggression

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

i believe they should concentrate wvw around guilds.
who gives a crap about pugs who do it for monthly / dailies.
They are useless and fill up queue times / get in the way of guilds trying to win.
Jumping puzzles need to be removed from WvW, get these roleplayers off our maps and making queue’s, kitten pisses me off, thanks.

You’re completely right, who does care about pugs! Those freeloaders just want jugs of karma, the leeches!

Except no. I pug WvW because the rest of my guild isn’t interested in it. I spend hours escorting dolyaks, guarding camps and scouting suppy/clearing siege because I enjoy the elaborate level of coordination and teamwork that goes on.

I get my PvE daily in Caledon Forest (there’s a huge stack of events/creature variety/gathering nodes around the spiral), and as long as Fractals are a part of it I won’t be getting the monthly.

WvW is fun. I’m a pug. Get over it, and hide your shame — your elitism is showing.

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Personally I felt after listening to the interview that the devs are somewhat out of touch with the game and its players. Specially the part when they were talking about the rewards for going to WvW. What they said was true 4 months ago, but I would say it is not true now. Server pride… but then they say transfers has no impact… tell that to one of the servers now dead.

Overall pretty disappointing interview for me personally.

WvW is very much the casual PvP in GW2. Because of the intense time and number requirements to seriously contest a server for a match up, the casual players are the ones who are always going to matter most. They are the ones that fill maps, not the hard core guilds. The big “competitive” guilds have a place, but it’s the militia that make or break WvW.

A serious WvW player might not care too much about getting better gear (provided they already have the best gear – they don’t crave gear grind progression as a focus of their gameplay, to many of them it hinders it, it’s time they don’t spend being as competitive as they could be, time they have to waste getting up to par) but to the militia, who are dividing their game time amongst all the offerings of GW2, the idea of being able to gear up in WvW or make money in WvW will attract more of them to spend more time in WvW. That’s what’s best for WvW. We need to understand that WvW needs numbers, it needs lots of players logging in every day to be as competitive as possible.

This isn’t Fort Aspenwood from GW1 where all you needed was 16 people and you had a balanced as intended PvP match. It’s not GvG where you get 16 people and you’ve got a highly competitive top tier match with guild pride on the line. The kinds of things which appeal to the most competitive PvP GW2 players are not to be found in WvW. Sure you can have a good match for an hour, but the score (and rankings) primarily reflect the server with the greatest coverage, not the greatest guilds. An individual guild’s participation won’t matter without coverage, coverage without a great guild will still do fine.

If progression is not what the hard core WvW guilds want, it’s doesn’t really matter. WvW needs to cater to the militia, they are the ones that will fill maps.

Now that I’m done playing devil’s advocate, it’s a no brainer that ArenaNet is taking the progression (gear treadmill) over content route because it keeps players occupied and creates the illusion of content. It’s much cheaper and easier as a designed to increase armour stats and require repetitive tasks to get the increased stats than it is to create new maps, new siege or new objectives and dynamics for WvW.

in WvW

Kerithlan.1659

your a kitten i clearly pointed out what kind of pugs i hate. your still garbage tho, go roleplay at lions arch

Considering that I am also a roleplayer and that I am on the roleplaying server, this isn’t insulting in the slightest.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I just don’t get it. WvW was one of the unique features of GW2. It hasn’t been done since DAOC and tons of people were excited about it. After release, it gets totally ignored. It was your bread and butter. I do not understand why they focus on PVE…if we cared about that, we would play WoW. sPvP is the same thing. I just cannot understand why MMO companies over the last 10 years self-destruct. Is there something in the kool-aid you drink?

Yep I agree it staggers me how similar the live GW2 support is to the way Bioware supported SWTOR, poor balancing, not listening to fans…….. The lack of support for WvW is just another symptom which is a pity given how it should be a huge part of the endgame, dynamic ever changing PVP gameplay. As it is the no. of players from my guild who WvW is a quarter of what it was a month ago, and if the only thing in Feb is character progression they aint coming back.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Malvader.7502

Malvader.7502

Some people at Anet need to lose their job. Someone one high up.

You have a goldmine sitting at your fingertips and you are ignoring it and letting it rot away. There are hundreds of games out there that do PVE, and your PVE really isn’t that spectacular. There are maybe three that do WvWvW type Pvp. You have a built in audience that would play your game for years if you would just direct your focus to the part of the business.

Go subscription fee, tailor items in the BLT to WvWvW, but this interview basically say’s yeah we know your out there but we don’t really have time for you. We want to focus on our pve and our non-exsistant e-sport sPvp/tpvp which is sub-par to most games.

Came to this game with ten others, hoping WvWvW would be more than it is. There’s only two left. The others won’t be coming back, unless WvWvW is your focus. You got a box fee out of them, but all the money you could be making from the store or a sub fee is gone now.

Enjoy your money grab, you’ll soon earn a rep like Funcom and no one will buy your future games.

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

“If progression is not what the hard core WvW guilds want, it’s doesn’t really matter. WvW needs to cater to the militia, they are the ones that will fill maps.”

This is simply not true. The hardcore WvW guilds carry the server. Its ever so clear on Desolation, if the server is losing in general or losing on a specific borderland, people simply dont play or dont play on that borderland.
Getting such insanities as outmanned on the middle of a sunday afternoon on 2 of the 3 borderlands. And a queue on the one borderland where we arent losing heavily. Coincidense thats also the borderland where the WvW guild is? I think not.

We have discussed this many times within the guild and even with other guilds, other people and the pug need to start pulling their weigth. Frankly, they simply do not. Saying the pugs carry the server is utter nonsense, except for the few well behaved WvW-experienced pugs (a minority) the PvE-scrubs only show up for easy glory or they dont show up at all.
And without a hardcore WvW guild or guilds pulling the server, the majority of the pugs dont show up either.

Catering to those kind of players will lead to hardcore WvW players leaving. And then you will have 600 pugs running around, facerubbing gates and upgrading nothing, and coordinating for kitten.
Zerg rushing all over the map, capping but not defending. Then what is the point of having upgrades, guildbuffs or even siege when you dont have the playerbase that was commited enough to WvW to actually use these?

in WvW

Posted by: Malvader.7502

Malvader.7502

@terrahero you are wrong on the way you think. You need both organized guilds and pugs to actually have the game survive. You can have a dedicated guild of 50 players, but if those 600 pugs running around don’t feel supported, they leave and your guild is left with 50 players fighting 50 other players, on a server they will shut down because it doesn’t make business sense.

When all the fish are gone, the sharks just eat each other and the game dies.