GW2 WvW...what's the point?

in WvW

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Instead of listing the many many deficiences of DAOC, I will simply say, realm rank and abilities power creep post TOA were not good for the game. I played DAOC for the RvR but I also have a very good memory.

On to GW2 WvW, regardless of how you choose to play, the majority of gamers will likely play for an individual sense of enjoyment.

If you do not allow the other team members to enjoy the game, many of them will cease to play. THEY do not have to change to suit your playstyle requirements.

Be as casual or fanatical as you wish but be aware, you require like minded opponents or you may be boring/driving them from the game.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

in WvW

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

Unbalance is the main point! We need a rush mode. Def team have to def their tower-keeps, and Rush team have to capture all of them. Switch the side every two days

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

(edited by KINGRPG.3492)

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

So this is what is has come to?? I have an account on FA … and was on there tonight in EB. I got killed by about 15 YB near OW.. no big deal… 15 to 1.. easy kill.. and I watched them as they took the tower… oh wait! It wasn’t just YB.. it was JQ as well… At they ran over my dead body I counted no less than 40 JQ running WITH the YB group amongst them. They weren’t fighting… they were working together.. By the time I picked my jaw up off of the desk I realized I didn’t even hit record. Seriously? JQ needs that? YB needs that? I have to say I’ve heard of these things but it’s the first time I’ve seen two servers really running TOGETHER like this.

Seriously I agree with many of these posts.. it’s time to chill from wvw…

You sure about that? I’ve ran some groups that will let one group break into something and then we end up wiping them the second they do to take it for ourselves. Vulturing, it’s a thing.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

So this is what is has come to?? I have an account on FA … and was on there tonight in EB. I got killed by about 15 YB near OW.. no big deal… 15 to 1.. easy kill.. and I watched them as they took the tower… oh wait! It wasn’t just YB.. it was JQ as well… At they ran over my dead body I counted no less than 40 JQ running WITH the YB group amongst them. They weren’t fighting… they were working together.. By the time I picked my jaw up off of the desk I realized I didn’t even hit record. Seriously? JQ needs that? YB needs that? I have to say I’ve heard of these things but it’s the first time I’ve seen two servers really running TOGETHER like this.

Seriously I agree with many of these posts.. it’s time to chill from wvw…

You sure about that? I’ve ran some groups that will let one group break into something and then we end up wiping them the second they do to take it for ourselves. Vulturing, it’s a thing.

oh ya I’m sure… I was just laying there dead minding my own business as they ran over my body.. both groups… as I said.. no big deal.. humoured me though…

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Instead of listing the many many deficiences of DAOC, I will simply say, realm rank and abilities power creep post TOA were not good for the game. I played DAOC for the RvR but I also have a very good memory.

On to GW2 WvW, regardless of how you choose to play, the majority of gamers will likely play for an individual sense of enjoyment.

If you do not allow the other team members to enjoy the game, many of them will cease to play. THEY do not have to change to suit your playstyle requirements.

Be as casual or fanatical as you wish but be aware, you require like minded opponents or you may be boring/driving them from the game.

I wasn’t trying to remember DaoC with rose colored glasses. Man, it had tons of problems, too. Frankly, I am super happy that the CC isn’t anything in GW2 wvw like it was in DaoC……it was absurd in DaoC. And yea, there were lots of other problems…..it certainly was far from perfect, especially after ToA.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

WvW isn’t going to be good until there is more infliction of more players.

I dont think so, if that happens people will get bored already due massive stacking aoe and range spamming… more skill lag, more broken gimmicks to wipe groups faster etc.

the way WvW is being managed is a contradiction to itself, the large population RvR system that cant hold people for RvR besides blob empty stuff… even there skill lag happens on pvd..

The issue is how WvW is(was) designed, with the aditions of banners and other gimmicks made the dull game even more duller, not harder, they have beeen changing the wrong things.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

I wasn’t trying to remember DaoC with rose colored glasses. Man, it had tons of problems, too. Frankly, I am super happy that the CC isn’t anything in GW2 wvw like it was in DaoC……it was absurd in DaoC. And yea, there were lots of other problems…..it certainly was far from perfect, especially after ToA.

I actually liked DAOC CC better…it was great filter to separate good from bad players…imagine how hard is to get group for cabalist after he aoe dotted 30+ enemy perfectly mezzed by your group sorc

Only really bad thing was debuff, baseline stun and hard nukes all on same class on Hibernia side…and that only in keep or big fights, and not in 8vs8

Fact is, I was one of people bashing DAOC developers the most on vnboards, but it was my first MMO ever…I only started to praise them after I tried Age of Conan, LOTRO, Warhammer Online, Shadowbane, SWTOR, Star Trek Online numerous less known…all of those were better in some way (except pvp, none even came close) but DAOC was and still is, the best oevrall experience

(edited by Nikola.3841)

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

Guild vs Guild might have a chance.

Server vs Server is… meh.

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Reztek.7805

Reztek.7805

Case in point the grassroots GVG scene that was really popular 18 months ago, that Anet went out of their way to kill off/ignore. This was at a time when participation in sPVP (Player vs Point) was basically non-existent. I used to work in a major game company, I can tell you with certainty that other game companies would kill to have a grassroots competitive scene spring up in one of their games and they would have fostered the kitten out of it.

This is so true IIRC the twitch viewing numbers of major GvGs at the time significantly outstripped viewing numbers for official spvp competitions. Anet just had (and continue to have) their head in the sand.

FYI: (Most) Guilds/GvGs destroyed WvW. Most ‘real’ WvW players who understood the game mode, stuck to their server and tried to play as a team got sick of WTJ-guilds who stood around doing nothing for 2 hours for 15 minutes of GvG. Lot of forum threads prove this and the map chat at that time was pretty obvious too. So after all, the game mode became rather toxic.

Those self proclaimed ‘pro’ guilds were also involved in the development process of the desert borderlands, which are deserted.

ANet failed to create a GvG mode outside of WvW. Though i doubt many guilds would have used it (see obsidian sanctum). Since most of their accomplishments were fighting ppl without voice-com.

Ranger/Mesmer/Thief/Warrior/Elementalist/Guardian/Engineer/Necromancer/Revenant

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Case in point the grassroots GVG scene that was really popular 18 months ago, that Anet went out of their way to kill off/ignore. This was at a time when participation in sPVP (Player vs Point) was basically non-existent. I used to work in a major game company, I can tell you with certainty that other game companies would kill to have a grassroots competitive scene spring up in one of their games and they would have fostered the kitten out of it.

This is so true IIRC the twitch viewing numbers of major GvGs at the time significantly outstripped viewing numbers for official spvp competitions. Anet just had (and continue to have) their head in the sand.

FYI: (Most) Guilds/GvGs destroyed WvW. Most ‘real’ WvW players who understood the game mode, stuck to their server and tried to play as a team got sick of WTJ-guilds who stood around doing nothing for 2 hours for 15 minutes of GvG. Lot of forum threads prove this and the map chat at that time was pretty obvious too. So after all, the game mode became rather toxic.

Those self proclaimed ‘pro’ guilds were also involved in the development process of the desert borderlands, which are deserted.

ANet failed to create a GvG mode outside of WvW. Though i doubt many guilds would have used it (see obsidian sanctum). Since most of their accomplishments were fighting ppl without voice-com.

FYI: Most guilds that GvG’d also raided and some were instrumental in developing metas that were used throughout the years so slow down on tossing around labels like “real WvWvWrs”. I know it’s fashionable to blame fight/GvG guilds for WvWvW toxicity but your post reeks of the kind of control freak nastiness that plagues some PPT players. Fight guilds moved around because they want quality, fun fights, not to sit on siege and take comfort in single colored maps in order to win 3 greens per week and appease random people. It’s bizarre that you’re mad at that.

Also, setting aside the fact that there were big PvE guilds involved as well, the WvWvW people who beta tested the DBL voiced concerns to Anet, only to have virtually none of it addressed.

And another FYI, Obsidian Sanctum has seen its fair share of usage before Anet chased away the bulk of the competitive minded players.

Someone doling out FYIs should really know these things.

Whispers with meat.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Pretty much nothing of what you said is trure.

in WvW

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

My opinion is that the original design intention (prior to implementation) was that WvW would be endgame for those who wanted open world style and large scale pvp

Yes. Another intention for this was the idea, that there should be no openworld-PvP in the PvE maps (like it is in other games) because there should only be game-mechanics in PvE that encourage players to play together (but not against each other).

So, WvW is A-Nets version of openworld, large scale, PvP and for players that want openworld PvP, WvW is the endgame. Because there is no other endgame for this game mode in GW2.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikola.3841

Nikola.3841

My opinion is that the original design intention (prior to implementation) was that WvW would be endgame for those who wanted open world style and large scale pvp

Yes. Another intention for this was the idea, that there should be no openworld-PvP in the PvE maps (like it is in other games) because there should only be game-mechanics in PvE that encourage players to play together (but not against each other).

So, WvW is A-Nets version of openworld, large scale, PvP and for players that want openworld PvP, WvW is the endgame. Because there is no other endgame for this game mode in GW2.

I guess he meant DAOC-like end game…there RvR was absolute endgame for everyone except people on co-op and pvp servers