Ghost Thief Gameplay - Tier 1

in WvW

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

These videos are some of the most interesting game play I have seen yet from gw2.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

I haven’t played as much WvW lately so maybe these thieves are all over the place right now.

We don’t know because we don’t see them.

in WvW

Posted by: Riko.9214

Riko.9214

Hey, gj on the videos!

One question though:

In video #1 at 3:37 a chrono is getting attacked, then he does nothing till 3:41 when he teleports. How is that possible? It is like 4 seconds of reaction time? really?

Ok he was immob, may be his teleport was on cd that just went off at 3:41 (which is highly unlikely of a coincidence but ok). In any case, between he got first condi and he got immob at least 1 second passed, with good player reaction time of 0.2 seconds it was 5x time he needed to move away (since it is obvious that the trap is coming). Even with terrible reaction time of 0.33 seconds, he would still have 3x time…. (in the worst case 2x, since ok mb it was less than 1 second, the video has no ms count to see)

So the question is how is that possible? I mean its hard to imagine you set up with so many guys, but also hard to believe in 4 seconds of reaction time.

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

An interesting discussion. However, to be talking about the same thing the discussion should be split into two factors. (Disclaimer, I’m a thief main, but trying to stay objective)

1. Stealth Stacking.
In my opinion there is currently too much of this. Both thief and mesmer can stay in stealth for prolonged periods of time. However, many of their builds need stealth to stay alive.. Not easy to fix.. However, people often don’t slot reveals, because that would hurt their build against other opponents. Pick your poison I’d say.

Mesmers don’t have much use for long duration stealth. Glass cannon base mesmer may need some seconds to recharge the mantras and wait for Mind Wrack/Prestige cooldown. Other mesmer builds just lose damage if hovering in stealth.

What thief build (other than this ghost) absolutely needs stealth stacking in combat?

PU Mesmers require long duration Stealth since it effectively shortens all their Torch CDs which means more Condis and faster access to stealth so their condis can do all the work. No otherThief build uses stealth stacking unless escaping people or hiding from Zergs.

Not entirely true, it does reduce torch cool downs the longer you’re in stealth however torch itself is generally a bad offhand used mostly for its stealth. The conditions it applies, the way they get applied are pretty poor and the phantasm has one of the longest cool downs for mesmer for no reason at all when you consider it’s so bad it can’t hit dolyaks a lot.

Many mesmers spoke out against the trait that enabled this, the pledge, saying they wanted it changing as it promoted a bad play style of stealth camping. While some love their overpowered stuff stealth stacking on mesmer is as much a problem as on thief.

Whatever solution is come up with thief would need a large number of traits to go from “while in stealth” to “when entering stealth” and mesmers would need to see a sizable increase to their ability to pressure or avoid being hit between bursts with many weapon skills needing a full rework.

I’m not even saying the build (D/P) or stealth (mostly for D/P) don’t need nerfs/changes. I’m just saying that generalizing the thief community to those who defend these kinds of things is kind of rude, particularly when the subject is pertinent to something that the profession is so deeply entrenched in. Kinda like when non-mesmers ask for nerfs or changes to shatters, even if there can be argued reasons to change and tweak shatters to enable the mesmer more consistent use throughout the game (the discussion on subjects like innate weapon DPS/Shatter burst balance and clone/AI dependency issues, for example).

Unfortunately the sad truth is most of what is left of the thief community are those types of people who vehemently defend these kinds of builds thinking they’re fine. Though this seems to be the case with most professions as most people not aiming for maximum faceroll left with HoT.

It may be rude but the sad reality is that the majority of thief mains you see on the forums are like this. Even better are the ones that claim thief is the absolute worst class and ask for deep seated nerfs to the HoT faceroll but don’t realise that would put thief in an extremely dominant position across a lot of game modes.

Then you have the ones who say they’re thief mains yet don’t understand how skills, traits and utilities work on their own class let alone others and constantly talk down to others. They give a good speech about how only DP is viable but you look at a lot of other classes and you can see a similar trend across most of them.

Still, my absolute favourite claim by thief mains is that thief has the lowest DPS, cracks me up every time.

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

So the question is how is that possible? I mean its hard to imagine you set up with so many guys, but also hard to believe in 4 seconds of reaction time.

You are overestimating the average GW2 player buddy… I mean, I have a slow reaction time myself (sometimes more than half second) and I can still win most of my fights.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

(edited by Jeknar.6184)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

You are overestimating the average GW2 player buddy… I mean, I have a slow reaction time myself (sometimes more than half second) and I can still win most of my fights.

He was probably thanking the person that rezzed him and text blocked himself.
“kittening ghost thieves, thanks budwwwww_wwww1111132378”

“kitten, he got me again…”

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Forgot the ssssss, you don’t really think he dodges anywhere except backwards do you?

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Forgot the ssssss, you don’t really think he dodges anywhere except backwards do you?

Please… Double Tap to dodge… Or maybe he can click the endurance bar.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Please… Double Tap to dodge… Or maybe he can click the endurance bar.

I click everything, key binding is an exploit.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

tbh with you i play thief also 90% of the time but i just do not understand how u enjoy this dumb playstyle i mean i rather die 10 times then hiding 24/7 waiting for dumb tools to come by that dont clean CC and or stand in middle of a dot dmg circle.

but if u enjoy this gameplay go ahead and enjoy i guess :p
in my eyes this is most kittened way of playing any char waiting for conditions to do the job while knowning your enemy stand no chance i dont even wanna fight if i know some1 cant win at all its boring :p

for people who insist stealth needs to be nerfed no it doesnt.
casting any skill that does dmg tru dot or direct dmg ( this already is in obviously) should get you out of stealth simple as that. problem solved no need to look into stealth stacking cus many other thiefs out there dont relay on stealth to kill but its more of a deffensive thing.

in WvW

Posted by: squall.4691

squall.4691

its hard for arena net to make the traps doing some damage at start so its get u out of stealth ?
oh sorry they only focus on power builds

in WvW

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Anet purposely removed the damage from thief traps so they don’t take the thief out of stealth.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Yesterday I ’"fought" a Ghost Thief on my Berserker. I just sat there waiting for traps so I could get in combat and use Berserker Stance. When he came back to put traps again I activated berserker (traited taunt), he got revealed. Hundredblades, Headbutt, Arc Divider, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, /laugh @, finisher.

Was very entertaining.

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Stun lock warrior has game right now. Right now it is the only class I find I have no direct counter for aside from avoiding it. Oh and I think you have parked me several times with it if you are the same Sold warrior.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

I don’t think it was me, I normally play mesmer and I was on a BG account getting GoB for a friend that don’t like WvW.
The Warrior you might be looking for is problably Shottyzzz (Norn) or Unknowntko (Human).

(edited by Jeknar.6184)

in WvW

Posted by: Kro.7984

Kro.7984

sorry to bump this, but i was looking at the videos and I do not know what that skill is that is in the elite slot. Last skill on the right on his bar. I don’t see it on wiki in the thief skill listing.

what am I missing?

in WvW

Posted by: Anemonity.1264

Anemonity.1264

sorry to bump this, but i was looking at the videos and I do not know what that skill is that is in the elite slot. Last skill on the right on his bar. I don’t see it on wiki in the thief skill listing.

what am I missing?

Sylvari Racial skill.

in WvW

Posted by: Kro.7984

Kro.7984

thanks I missed the obvious! lol

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Some people also use the human racial reaper of breath for chill and extra poison damage.