Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

Hello, Mist Warriors!

I am excited to reveal that on August 8th we will be adding Gliding to WvW. The team has been working hard on a way to make gliding in WvW feel fun and fair, and by using our brand new territory system, we believe we finally have come up with a way to accomplish both goals.

Territories

Each objective in WvW now has a territory associated with it, and the ownership of each objective is displayed by map outlines in the color of the owning team. In addition to the map displaying the territory, the WvW score UI now displays the objective of your current territory next to the War Score your team is earning that tick. The objective icon functions the same way it does on the map and clicking it will open the Objective Upgrades panel.

Gliding

Gliding in WvW does not require unlocking gliding through PvE masteries. Instead, you can acquire Gliding by using ability points in the new Heart of Thorns War Gliding Mastery. The War Gliding Mastery is available to those who own Heart of Thorns and allows gliding in territories that your team owns in the Mist War maps: Eternal Battlegrounds, Alpine, and Desert Borderlands. If you enter a territory that you do not own while gliding, you will be kicked from your glider.

We’ve made several map adjustments to the Eternal Battlegrounds, Desert, and Alpine Borderlands maps to better accommodate gliding. Besides map adjustments, we have also replaced Ballista’s fourth skill with an anti-air bolt skill that shoots people out of the air and immobilizes them for a short duration.

It is important to keep in mind that this is a test for gliding in WvW. If we discover with this test that gliding is not appropriate for WvW, we will disable it.

Ability Point Reset

With the August 8th update, we are also adding a new ability point reset vendor, the World Ability Master, to every portal/home keep (team starting area). A free sample ability point reset is available per character so that everyone with ability points can start gliding right away.

in WvW

Posted by: TheDevilWithinU.7092

TheDevilWithinU.7092

I hope this is just a late April fools joke.

| Maguuma | [KEK] | GvG Relic & Historian |
Notorious Nevermore – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Omg Im Target.3095

Omg Im Target.3095

This is really really great. Sometimes you get too much criticsm and it’s more often than not undeserved.

in WvW

Posted by: Ann Jay.2950

Ann Jay.2950

Is this for real?? ARE WE GETTING TROLLED??

| Areianna Firebloom ~ YB | & |Reylah Wrynn ~ SBI |

in WvW

Posted by: NekoNoKoi.9137

NekoNoKoi.9137

Dear Anet, why must you take an already underwhelming game mode and make it even more kittening bad? Is this an actual joke?

in WvW

Posted by: Ann Jay.2950

Ann Jay.2950

I am not actually opposed to this… in theory. But I’m very, very confused… 5 DAYS FROM NOW? Like….

SURPRIZE YOO!!

| Areianna Firebloom ~ YB | & |Reylah Wrynn ~ SBI |

in WvW

Posted by: Serenity.6135

Serenity.6135

I’m just really curious, what is this supposed to add to WvW? People will just fly away instead of fighting now, or sit on ballista’s. At least disable gliding while in combat.

in WvW

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

this will be interesting, i look forward to the change, its only within your territory so should be entertaining

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

in WvW

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

I’m just really curious, what is this supposed to add to WvW? People will just fly away instead of fighting now, or sit on ballista’s. At least disable gliding while in combat.

It’s not like you can just up and fly away, lmfao. You still need something to glide off of…

in WvW

Posted by: Sparky.8724

Sparky.8724

please be a joke

in WvW

Posted by: jamesdolla.3954

jamesdolla.3954

They already run away which is prob faster than gliding.

Native Maguuman

in WvW

Posted by: Shining One.1635

Shining One.1635

What does this mean for people you knock off cliffs with your own skills? Do they still fall to their deaths?

in WvW

Fay.2357

What does this mean for people you knock off cliffs with your own skills? Do they still fall to their deaths?

When cced, you can’t enter the glider in PvE maps, not sure exactly how it’ll act in WvW.

in WvW

Serenity.6135

It’s not like you can just up and fly away, lmfao. You still need something to glide off of…

Any slight change in terrain, even a small slope lets you glide.

in WvW

Posted by: Lacrisma.1540

Lacrisma.1540

I hope this is just a late April fools joke.

^

in WvW

Serenity.6135

They already run away which is prob faster than gliding.

And now entire groups will just fly away, and only ranged players will be able to hit them. How about we all just build ballista’s and wait for targets…idiotic waste of time.

in WvW

Posted by: McKenna Berdrow

Previous

McKenna Berdrow

Game Designer

Next

When cced, you can’t enter the glider in PvE maps, not sure exactly how it’ll act in WvW.

It will function the same in WvW. So if you are knocked back while in gliding you will fall to your death.

in WvW

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

It is important to keep in mind that this is a test for gliding in WvW. If we discover with this test that gliding is not appropriate for WvW, we will disable it.

Bolded for missing emphasis

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in WvW

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

What in the hell?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU ARE IN COMBAT? Disable in combat gliding. Otherwise it means anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away and literally makes HoT Pay-to-win. Seriously. It NEEDS to be disabled to deploy gliding while in combat. Seriously. This is why gliding in WvW has always been the stupidest idea.

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

in WvW

Posted by: XxTronic.9310

XxTronic.9310

You should work on these heavy skillags

in WvW

Posted by: Miyafuji.1340

Miyafuji.1340

It will function the same in WvW. So if you are knocked back while in gliding you will fall to your death.

But how will you prevent people from abusing the gliding to escape off a cliff or to negate fall damage? In normal PVE you can open glider and save yourself when you were knocked off an ledge, which would be really bad for WvW.

I see it as a thing that does not belong to WvW. It makes escapes easier (not welcomed) fall damage survival easy (not welcome), and map travel faster (not welcome unless DesertBL, there is is Welcome, and I think allowing gliding just for desertBL only in certain areas would be a good compromise, but not more.).

Edit: And yeah as mentioned before, the servers still cannot handle the big fights (5+ years later) especially in EBG its skilllag fiesta, and the upcoming elite specs have even more AOE effects and more condi (which we know that creates extra load) and ETA on fixing that?

I am princess Tomiko Miyafuji, daughter of Lady Zenith the unforgiving…. beware…
My old backstory: http://www.archeageroleplay.com/forum_threads/1873740

(edited by Miyafuji.1340)

in WvW

Serenity.6135

You should work on these heavy skillags

Yea seriously, lag, terrible class balance…are these not important? Why they waste time on this nonsense….

in WvW

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

\o/ Thanks so much McKenna for this wonderful news.

Attachments:

in WvW

Fay.2357

What in the hell?

WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU ARE IN COMBAT? Disable in combat gliding. Otherwise it means anyone can run away from a fight by just gliding away and literally makes HoT Pay-to-win. Seriously. It NEEDS to be disabled to deploy gliding while in combat. Seriously. This is why gliding in WvW has always been the stupidest idea.

I don’t think you have the strongest grasp of how gliding works. If they try and run away by gliding off a cliff, just toss out a little cc and watch them fall to death, lmfao.

in WvW

Posted by: underweaver.8324

underweaver.8324

This sounds really cool. I think it sounds cool how gliding is limited to your territory, can’t wait to try it out.

in WvW

Posted by: aerodynamique.5267

aerodynamique.5267

Uhhhhhhhh

This gliding thing isn’t a good idea, I think.

If your zerg is about to get decisively wiped on, say, Garrison on borderlands, or North-East, North-West tower, on borderlands, you can just peace the heck out and go glide off a cliff. That’s a pretty bad deal. It’s functionally identical in terms of just wiping a zerg in terms of time, but without getting loot.

I think that this is a good idea if you don’t have this enabled while in combat. Otherwise, this is a -1 from me.

competitive ele guyyyy

in WvW

Posted by: Dandilion.2537

Dandilion.2537

Personally I think it might be a good idea to not allow gliding if you’re in combat.
On a side note – desert borderlands, rather amusingly, usually has a k:d of less than 1 for all servers because of the fall damage and clumsy people, will be a shame to see the k:d on this border to be normal like the others haha

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

jumps off smc into glider

Bye vanilla and free account peeps!

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

in WvW

Posted by: Gramlush.9160

Gramlush.9160

bEST IDEa anet has had for wvw YET

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

This is….. FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pumped for this!

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Olli.9028

Olli.9028

another “nobody asked for it or want it” after Golem week and other kitten

Stab Eins [aX] Axîom
professional WvW rallybotting since 2013

in WvW

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

I’m excited to see how this is going to work, but I love that we’re minutes after the announcement and no one has seen it in action, yet we’re already firmly entrenched in our positions on the subject lol . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Syryn.7591

Syryn.7591

Ok but could you like revert condis back to only 25 stacks on player characters and keep it at unlimited on npcs…because like I don’t care about gliding, it can stay in pve

I mean you can already break into keeps with vault on thief, I’m not really seeing how gliding is not going to be broken.

Entryn ele
I main an ele but playeth all the things
[FLOT]

in WvW

Posted by: Crazy Branden.6951

Crazy Branden.6951

Hey fool where are you getting your facts

Leader of Angels of Clarity

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Now I can jump off smc to save myself and scares the kitten off the duelers.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: SgtOVERKILL.4701

SgtOVERKILL.4701

Horrible Idea. Rip all your veterans which are your player base. Working on useless stuff that nobody asked for, thanks anet.

(edited by SgtOVERKILL.4701)

in WvW

Posted by: GUFF.5692

GUFF.5692

Can people on the ground with ranged weapons target people in the air in gliders or will ballistas only be able to do this?

Sarhaz [CDS]

I was a ranger before shortbow had 1200m range AND after it didn’t…

in WvW

Posted by: Wabbit Season.4250

Wabbit Season.4250

This will be great!

in WvW

Kitta.3657

What in the hell?

I don’t think you have the strongest grasp of how gliding works. If they try and run away by gliding off a cliff, just toss out a little cc and watch them fall to death, lmfao.

For that you require to have ranged CC. So now you have to make sure you have ranged CC on you at all times which means you have to change your build AROUND gliding? That’s kitten.

in WvW

Posted by: Comprissent.3856

Comprissent.3856

Sweet, another change that nobody was asking for

GM – [Ark]ham

in WvW

Fay.2357

Can people on the ground with ranged weapons target people in the air in gliders or will ballistas only be able to do this?

Sounds like ballistas will be specifically good at it, but I’m looking forward to the skill shot treb videos knocking people out of the sky.

in WvW

Posted by: anek.3249

anek.3249

Do you know yet if gliding will effect server performence? As it’s really poor now

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

What in the hell?

This is such a silly statement. If your enemies decide to run away by gliding, YOU JUST GLIDE AFTER THEM !

At some point they have to land since it’s not true flight.

in WvW

Posted by: Olli.9028

Olli.9028

let´s see? from everybody in my guilds and friendlist? around 90 hardcore wvw only players

Stab Eins [aX] Axîom
professional WvW rallybotting since 2013

in WvW

seabhac.5346

Horrible Idea. Rip all your veterans which are your player base. Working on useless stuff that nobody asked for, thanks anet.

Veteran checking in here…. you don’t speak for me! I love this idea!

in WvW

seabhac.5346

Sweet, another change that nobody was asking for

LOL, not true! I asked for it \o/

in WvW

Posted by: Crazy Branden.6951

Crazy Branden.6951

let´s see? from everybody in my guilds and friendlist? around 90 hardcore wvw only players

You need more friends that are smart

Leader of Angels of Clarity

in WvW

Kitta.3657

What in the hell?

This is such a silly statement. If your enemies decide to run away by gliding, YOU JUST GLIDE AFTER THEM !

At some point they have to land since it’s not true flight.

Your statement is even more silly because you can only glide if you own the territory ;^)

“If you enter a territory that you do not own while gliding, you will be kicked from your glider.”

in WvW

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

If anyone’s ever played Archeage, gliding in open world pvp was incredibly fun so I look forward to such a feature.

in WvW

Posted by: MaLeVoLenT.8129

MaLeVoLenT.8129

There were a lot of people who asked for this, just like there were alot of people who asked for a larger map and we got DBL. Players dont always know what they’d enjoy. Simple as that. We should probably test it before all the hate mail.

~The Mad Court~ [OnS]Onslaught GM
Malevolent Omen -Guardian
Mad King Mal -Rev