Gliding and Territories in WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

While i find this amusing…. with this change 2 things need to be in place.

1. You should not be able to glide while in combat. This is a HUGE no-no. Jumping off a cliff should mean death, not a freeb escape.

2. It should be 5x times harder, near impossible even, to get out of combat in wvw during fights, like while orange swords are in the area near youw. As it is right now, it is wayyyyy too easy to occ.

As long as those 2 things happen I think its ok to have it in for testing.

So chase them with your own glider?

Or laugh and free cast into them while they are defenseless, cc them and watch them take fall damage and get super hard CC(you cannot stunbreak fall knockdown) or when they flat out die.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Gliding in WvW sounds awesome.

I’m a bit curious as to how it will play out though if, say, you’re just about to glide from a territory you own, but an enemy suddenly captures your territory/area, unbeknownst to you, will this also kick you out of gliding? Like if enemies are capturing your tower, and you’re gliding off the tower when they capture it, will your gliding then fail?

They say there is a time window where you can land or something.

For future reference, use the devs tracker if you don’t want to sift through the crying posts.

Ah, thanks!

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Hello, Mist Warriors!

/facepalm

Out of rebalancing world populations, eliminating server lag and separating skill balancing from PvE, Gliding was the one you chose to work on?! Seriously?

You still have not met all the goals of the Scoring changes: reduce need for off-hour coverage, reduce number of lopsided matchups, give teams real opportunity for a comeback, and decide matchup winner fairly.

I bet you next work on getting those PoF mounts, and HoT mastery track PvE crap to WvW. Oh, wait! You already added Blazing Speed Muchrooms (Blessing of Elements), Bouncing Mushrooms (jump pads) and Nunoch Wallows (more jump pads). Perhaps a more proper greeting would have been “Hello, PvEers!”.

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

The real question is if golema and the charr car can glide.

golems being able to deploy a parachute would be amazing

Nalhadia – Kaineng

in WvW

Justine.6351

Hello, Mist Warriors!

/facepalm

Out of rebalancing world populations, eliminating server lag and separating skill balancing from PvE, Gliding was the one you chose to work on?! Seriously?

You still have not met all the goals of the Scoring changes: reduce need for off-hour coverage, reduce number of lopsided matchups, give teams real opportunity for a comeback, and decide matchup winner fairly.

I bet you next work on getting those PoF mounts, and HoT mastery track PvE crap to WvW. Oh, wait! You already added Blazing Speed Muchrooms (Blessing of Elements), Bouncing Mushrooms (jump pads) and Nunoch Wallows (more jump pads). Perhaps a more proper greeting would have been “Hello, PvEers!”.

The nightcapping tears still strong I see. I’m waiting for them to do something about the multiple 50man zergs day capping all the time.

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

Or laugh and free cast into them while they are defenseless, cc them and watch them take fall damage and get super hard CC(you cannot stunbreak fall knockdown) or when they flat out die.

You are clearly new to wvw.
Despite all the kitten ktrains, this mode is not PVE and should NEVER becomes as that.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Justine.6351

Despite all the kitten ktrains, this mode is not PVE and should NEVER becomes as that.

If you consider the pvp side of wvw,
CCing another player out of the air sounds like player vs player to me.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

So what, a warrior will be able to headbutt 20m straight up in the air?

This type of pvp will be pretty unfair for certain classes while others gonna make a joke of it.

But I suppose its something.

in WvW

Posted by: Akhenaten.3916

Akhenaten.3916

Look forward to it. Wow there are a lot of complainers here. Must be most of the people I have blocked in game.

in WvW

Posted by: Vova.2640

Vova.2640

This gives a different opportunity for someone to escape death by gliding away one way or another and should NEVER happen.
If you would have died without gliding, then you should die with gliding as well. Otherwise gliding will impact combat in wvw too much and you will another mass quitting from wvw.

Look at how effective someone is in a full Soldiers set.
Look at how effective someone is in a full Dire set.
Nice balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

While i find this amusing…. with this change 2 things need to be in place.

1. You should not be able to glide while in combat. This is a HUGE no-no. Jumping off a cliff should mean death, not a freeb escape.

2. It should be 5x times harder, near impossible even, to get out of combat in wvw during fights, like while orange swords are in the area near youw. As it is right now, it is wayyyyy too easy to occ.

As long as those 2 things happen I think its ok to have it in for testing.

I think gliding in combat is fine. My view is that I have plenty of knockback and CC, if they want to try and glide away, go ahead, all their skills are disabled while gliding, I will CC them and they will still fall to their deaths.

in WvW

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

How about fixing the balance in combat before adding more pve stuff into wvw? You can add gliding, yet can’t separate balance from pve? Retal is different in all modes, condis should be different in wvw as well. You DO have the ability to separate skills and mechanics per mode. Why you still choose not to, when its the one most requested thing by wvw players since the first year this game was out for, yet keep adding pve crap we don’t ask for is beyond me.

in WvW

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

I like the territory concept, its used on old rts game like Empire Earth 2. The Glid is just embellishment. ….. The Glid is just an ornament for the player base formed by bouncy and colorful dancers, i despise it.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

Hello, Mist Warriors!

/facepalm

I will give you some basic information here. The people working on server lag is most likely different from the people that worked on gliding. Server lag is more the domain of the network and infrastructure side of things. Features whether temporary or otherwise are likely done by designers and devs who do scripting, not network code.

It’s like saying “how come your hospital can’t do a brain operation when you have so many heart surgeons just chilling and sitting around” The answer is “because brain surgery is not the same as heart surgery and requires a different set of knowledge and experiences”

(edited by Nate.3927)

in WvW

Posted by: ToffiKeks.6385

ToffiKeks.6385

Oh god these hate posts. Thank you arenanet, i love the idea and remember that the people hating here are not even playing anymore.

in WvW

Justine.6351

So what, a warrior will be able to headbutt 20m straight up in the air?

This type of pvp will be pretty unfair for certain classes while others gonna make a joke of it.

But I suppose its something.

Do people not understand how gliding works?

in WvW

Posted by: Syphs.7019

Syphs.7019

Make sure you guys understand that it says:

" It is important to keep in mind that this is a TEST for gliding in WvW. If we discover with this TEST that gliding is not appropriate for WvW, we will disable it."

Who knows this test might open up a new path leading Anet giving us new content to WvW players in the future.

So let the hate and negativity aside and lets check it out first We can judge after that

(edited by Syphs.7019)

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

Gliding or parachuting was a feature needed desert borders, so I expect queues to test out the feature, when it arrives. Its just that the alpines have functional verticality, where most of the time you avoid falling off by accident, unless your a scrub like me.

At least EB should be safe from exploits, I don’t think you can reach many towers by gliding, Anza is obviously I can think of at this hour. I guess the anza hills vantage point will be changed.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

in WvW

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

really excited to see this change come into the gametype, can’t wait to try it out

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

I hope this is just a late April fools joke.

I agree.

“Territories”? Why not just undo the links?

“Flying”? Caving to whom?

No tournaments.

No real improvements for WvW – another disappointment for many who have put five years into a single gaming mode.

Flying, caving to whom? I have to assume you have never been in any kind of VOIP at all, ever. Ever.

Tournaments? They were a bust to begin with and did more damage to the “Population Imbalance Issue” than anything else. Period.

If you are that upset then try another game for a while.

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Horrible Idea. Rip all your veterans which are your player base. Working on useless stuff that nobody asked for, thanks anet.

Considering how these “veterans” are behaving in this thread, I’m not sure it’s a loss.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in WvW

Trajan.4953

Well, what a pleasant surprise

This guy gets it.

CCCP….

in WvW

Trajan.4953

Horrible Idea. Rip all your veterans which are your player base. Working on useless stuff that nobody asked for, thanks anet.

Considering how these “veterans” are behaving in this thread, I’m not sure it’s a loss.

Amen

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

Imbalance in player base is something that players need to fix. Anet shouldn’t be forcibly moving players to different servers. There are things that Anet can fix that they haven’t fixed, but player imbalance all comes down to player mentality.

Heh. I’d love for my friends to join my server. The problem is that it’s always full…
And no my server is not Blackgate. It’s just one of these servers that have to deal with Blackgate whose guys are constantly outnumbering us except for 1/2 hours at reset. (the only way they know how to win anyway :P salt salt)

There are full servers and there are more than full servers and that is a problem.
Also, timezones matter, or they should when considering reopening a server…

in WvW

Posted by: Rominion.4719

Rominion.4719

As a veteran I can say THANK kitten… no more jumping off kitten thinking I can glide like anywhere else in the game. For those against it. Shut up. Please. You have no idea about QoL implementations and future interactions. This is and will be a great addition to WvW.

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

I like the territory concept, its used on old rts game like Empire Earth 2. The Glid is just embellishment. ….. The Glid is just an ornament for the player base formed by bouncy and colorful dancers, i despise it.

Fun fact: I suggested territories long, long ago to fix an issue in the game – outmanned. Rather than having global outmanned, it would be local and the map split into like 15 “zones of influence” around objectives. That way 50v50 could fight at bay and not be outmanned, while 5v25 could fight at hills and be outmanned.

Anet done stole my idea! Lol.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Hello, Mist Warriors!

/facepalm

I will give you some basic information here. The people working on server lag is most likely different from the people that worked on gliding. Server lag is more the domain of the network and infrastructure side of things. Features whether temporary or otherwise are likely done by designers and devs who do scripting, not network code.

It’s like saying “how come your hospital can’t do a brain operation when you have so many heart surgeons just chilling and sitting around” The answer is “because brain surgery is not the same as heart surgery and requires a different set of knowledge and experiences”

I do appreciate that there are people with different skill sets. But it can’t be that there is no-one left in the company able to fix game engine issues (lag) or major flaws in the WvW game design (population imbalance).

The scriptkiddies could still help server lag by refactoring computing and network traffic intensive skills traits and skills out. Hello, every HoT and PoF trait and skill. They could also fix minor mistakes like the infusion slots, reward box spam, DBL vertical design… Or add QoL features like build savers, mass refresh siege, guild-server tracker, leaderboards…

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: Liich.2360

Liich.2360

Hello anet, you dun goofed

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

Thank you for introducing these refreshing changes.
I am looking forward to trying them out. =)

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Trajan.4953

“I do appreciate that there are people with different skill sets. But it can’t be that there is no-one left in the company able to fix game engine issues (lag) or major flaws in the WvW game design (population imbalance).”

So how do you “Fix” the population imbalance?

I mean really? Without breaking up guilds, communities, third party VOIPs and websites, how does one actually do that?

Every single suggestion I’ve ever seen on this forum and Reddit ultimately involves some people getting the short end of the stick and having to re-locate.

Fine if you are on the winning side but not fine for those people that also play this game and may have spent the same amount of hours as you in it, or even more.

You cannot simply quantify people into a mold because people don’t work that way therefore the game will not work that way as it is people driven.

Zerg servers gonna zerg, that’s how it is, the only way is to put them all together and leave them.

CCCP….

in WvW

Trajan.4953

Thank you for introducing these refreshing changes.
I am looking forward to trying them out. =)

~ Kovu

kitten you Kovu, this is the third time in 2 weeks I’ve had to agree with you.

:)

CCCP….

in WvW

Posted by: hotcatz.6834

hotcatz.6834

Seriously… so many negative whiners that clearly did not even read the dev post before launching into their ‘yip, yip, whah, whah, cry, cry mode….
Read the kitten post, wait and see what happens… anet have already proved they can and will adapt things to a degree if their ideas go ‘pointy bits up’
@ 5.6k rank I think I’m what might be classed as a vet’, I’m on the fence about this change but mostly I suspect it’s success or otherwise depends on how we adapt and learn to use this new skill we are being offered.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Great News. Will definitely add some tactical variations to defense!

Finally Ranger and Ballista have a use

Will there be gliding and territories in EotM as well?

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Wow its amazing. We can’t have one new thing or try out one nice change without people going nuts and griping. They cant fly away if its not their territory. So thats a moot point. However defenders csn fly around and get away by flying.

For once let go of this narrow minded fear of change. Tty something new, heck have fun with it.

in WvW

Posted by: cptaylor.2670

cptaylor.2670

People complaining about gliding in this mode need to realize that it’s more of a convenience thing. It’s great in desert borderlands, but the collision is pretty strict in a lot of the other maps and you won’t really be able to get anywhere crazy.

To the people complaining about not being able to kill players with fall damage, does it really happen that often? Generally when I die to fall damage it’s by mistake… And I would gladly not repeat that mistake if I don’t have to. Even at that, if it’s far away from a keep or camp, it will probably be disabled anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

McKenna please answer this question! Will we be able to glide while in a golem? PLEASE MAKE IT SO!!!!

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I’m neutral about these incoming changes regarding gliding in WvW. Here’s my 2 cents:

• No opening/re-opening glider if you’re ALREADY in combat – run away bags off that cliff/gap makes for some cowardly escapes
  • No stealth upon deploying – I really don’t like the idea of mesmers abusing this mechanic in SMC or Hills etc
  • Make the time limit VISIBLE on screen – gliding into a territory that just capped should have a very clear warning message and not just chucked in the chat box
  • No gliding if you’re in a golem – it’s powerful enough having a golem rush… no need for them to glide quickly to their destination

Now here are my questions regarding gliding + Ability Point reset:

• Will those gliding be able to use bundles e.g; Siege Disablers, Toys etc?
  • Will gliding in WvW have their own skill bar akin to Bloodstone Fen?
  • Will there be a new feature for players who have maxed out/left over Ability Points regarding making a new alt, have a button available that simply maxes out all Ability Point lines instead of having to go through every single one as it currently stands?

Thanks in advance.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

So you wanted Legendary armor to be the hardest thing to get in your game and now you are giving it away almost for free for PVP which doesnt, I mean doesnt ever need a stat swap change. PvP shouldnt be played for rewards but for fun and now people will just grind again, which ofc will bring more cancer. Thanks anet for all of that wasted time in raids learning bosses and countles wipes + waiting like a year for you to make that armor anyway. So in the future I shouldnt be doing anything, just wait like a year and I will get it easier.

The idea that this is easier is ridiculous. PvP and WvW don’t get the legendary armor skin. And to get the precursor armor in WvW requires time grinding for WvW rank. We don’t know the details yet on the rest of the gifts needed but I can bet you it will be tied to more tickets which requires again more time.

Also, you’re posting in the wrong thread.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

So does this mean a roamer can wipe a blob by capturing their territory while they’re all mid air?

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

Although I like the thought of “Deaths from Above” I do think like others mentioned first priority should be fixing lag and skill lags, which is being ignored like forever.

Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Gadian.4792

Gadian.4792

Ohhh, I’m so looking forward to seeing a blob fall from the sky after a sneaky cap or being late rushing to defend!

I think this will make defending more fun aside from siege wars and see this spawning up new tactics and I love to see crazy new tactics. I’m glad they stated it will be a test tho but I hope it works out!

Gadi ~ the pink norn of Desolation
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA]

in WvW

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

April 1. 2019. WvW updates:

Hey folks we made core changes to our server math and improved hardware to reduce lag issues. Also we addressed other stuff you asked for.

(edited by Rod.6581)

in WvW

Dawdler.8521

So does this mean a roamer can wipe a blob by capturing their territory while they’re all mid air?

Technically yes, but how many objectives are high enough with a covered lord while no one notice that the door or walls are broken, allowing a roamer to capture it while a 50 man zerg run past in order to glide somewhere else?

If you see that once in 3 months I would be surprised.

Doing it to defenders routing (ie you just capped the objective while the enemy zerg flee garri south or something) is far more likely.

in WvW

Posted by: Rapr.8526

Rapr.8526

come on guys most of u r just been to hard on this update… and like they said if it doesnt work they will remove it… so basically this is a beta test, anyways what bothers me is the fact that there is like not enought mastery for 9999! skill point there is, i mean right now were just using 1000 maxed out? where r the other 8999 skill points? but than again sadly WvW doesnt have enough ppl (compared to pve) to be theyr number 1 focus… so yea, at least theyr giving us something, at this point we should simply enjoy what they throw at us…. and if u dont like it simply dont play it or better yet get use to it! xD.

in WvW

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

This should have been added ages ago back when HoT launched but hey we getting it so that’s awesome ! Finally WvW gets some more love !

play hard , go pro.

in WvW

Posted by: Huddi.8297

Huddi.8297

Wowowow, guys, relax. They said it is a test. So if you won’t like it, it will be removed again. Just give it a try. I am quite certain that this was just a side effect of necessary coding for mounts in WvW, so there was most likely no major waste of resources on this anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

EBG Territories Preview

Not that I play much anymore and this does sound exciting for WvW but I am curious if Blue and Green keeps will be elevated a little to make the most out of Gliding?

Seems like red side in it’s current state would make the most out of gliding travel times for defences…

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Hello, Mist Warriors!

/facepalm

Gotta start somewhere, and I like this analogy. I find it apt, but completely wrong with why people are upset. We’re not stupid. We understand that it’s different departments. Our problem is with the hospital because it didn’t hire any brain surgeons. It’s where the company is putting it’s priorities.

If people remember, Server lag was in a kitten good spot at the beginning of 2015. Then they added the Stability change in Mid-March and the servers went to hell. It took about a year to get into a better place, and I’d say another 6 months before it was not as noticable. Priorities.

It’s also a matter of different departments communicating and the lack of test servers. When they introduced DBL, the central event crashed out many players from the game and made anyone still in the game experience it through molasses.

My gripe:

What kittenes me off is that they can make 5 huge, complex, maps for HoT and now 5 even bigger maps for this expansion, but they can’t make new maps on a regular basis for WvW. Yes, DBL was not that great when it came out. They pretty much didn’t listen to the beta testers, but it was too late at that point. Lets also not forget all the new raid content. Massive, massive updates to pve, but jack for WvW.

Anything WvW does get, usually ends up being much later than any other game mode.
Reward tracks, legendary backpacks, ascended rewards vendors. WvW has been getting everything last.

I am aware of all the things that HAVE been done for WvW, and there have been a lot of good changes and additions. But most of this is just really late. All of this just shows how few human resources are in this department.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: MadameS.3582

MadameS.3582

Thanks to how there setting it up this also means that f2p players and PoF players can enjoy it. As it will be tied ot wvw ranks and NOT mastery. So its available to everyone.

It won’t be available to new players in WvW, which means that new players may even not be able to follow the com, especially in DBL.

It won’t either be available to player not owning HoT according to :

The War Gliding Mastery is available to those who own Heart of Thorns and allows gliding in territories that your team owns in the Mist War maps: Eternal Battlegrounds, Alpine, and Desert Borderlands.

Travelling abilities in WvW should be available for everyone, or not available at all.

Gliding is only available to those who own HoT, don’t expect it to be freely given in wvw.

in WvW

Posted by: Earix.5684

Earix.5684

[facepalm]

Next step is gonna be:
/set wvwGravity -20000

Earix – GvG Player – Druid / Soulbeast
Pirate Chips [LAYS] – Server Hopping (EU)