Gliding, what a shambles

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

gliding is a new toy and yay for fun but its bringing in a ton of issues since the maps weren’t designed with it in mind.

Or, in the land’s known as reality, a handful of tweaks.

nice dude. you managed to dismiss my argument and make yourself look like a nincompoop in the process.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

Definitely needs updates, but on more glaring issues.

Definitely, but if we get this riled up over a small, relatively simple update, what will the forums be like if anything goes wrong during an important update?

I think they’ve said a few times that devs go back and forth on projects, it could well have been a non-WvW dev that did this update so it’s not like they did this instead of something else.

They’re definitely slow on the important stuff, and they focused on things that I disagreed with when they did that voting way back. However, I genuinely don’t know how difficult fixing the important issues is or how long it will take, so getting something whilst we wait for those things to get implemented is great.

People seem to get riled up over pretty much any update in this game, and probably every other game out there. There seem to be a fairly solid set of regular folks in here who have something bad to say about pretty much everything. Even the things that “they” asked for aren’t done the “right way”.

Frankly nobody in the world will ever get it “the right way” in everyone’s eyes. The people that complain will continue to complain.

But what I have noticed is that ANet seems to let it all continue and digs through this mess for gems that seem to make sense most of the time. Gliding is a gem and frankly imo has been implemented fairly well despite the few spots that do need tweaking.
It doesn’t seem to me to have been a “rushed change” as one person suggested.

As for the “updates after the updates”… when has there been a time in this game that ANY update hasn’t been followed with tweaks along the way.

Folks… build a game this huge and complex and let me know when you can make significant changes to it without having to tweak it.

[podium mode on]
In the meantime, seriously, please step back from the “Anet doesn’t love us” rhetoric and just either enjoy what you can in the game most of us paid for, or give some constructive feed back. All the insults that are flying around on these forums, (that ANet seems to be ok with), are truly not productive.

- to the folks quoted in this reply… this is NOT pointed at you –

[podium mode off]

… just call me … Tim :)

(edited by Balthazzarr.1349)

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: hotcatz.6834

hotcatz.6834

I’m another vet’ that thinks gliding is a great addition to WvW, not heard any negatives so far in our borderland chats or TS3 apart from the few bugs that needed fixing,

Too many people come here and speak for ‘everyone’

People need to step back, remember it’s a game and give things a fair go before they condemn out of hand.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

gliding is a new toy and yay for fun but its bringing in a ton of issues since the maps weren’t designed with it in mind.

Or, in the land’s known as reality, a handful of tweaks.

nice dude. you managed to dismiss my argument and make yourself look like a nincompoop in the process.

By stating the obvious, I don’t think so.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: MasterMc.7543

MasterMc.7543

Another Vet here, and all for gliding. Since its been added its lead to some really interesting fights, which is rather refreshing after these last couple years. Now some tweaks need to be done to it, like maybe shorting the territories to where there areas all teams can glide?

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Bart.5023

Bart.5023

Gliding is fun, but it will be a huge pain for Anet in the long run, people will find ways to exploit this really badly

XS Bart
Seafarer’s Rest

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Pancake.3092

Pancake.3092

Pretty much the direction this thread is going in is great.

Before HoT came, skill balance was good enough so that a small group COULD defeat a group 3-4x their size. Now this is pretty much impossible.

Anet have been putting out updates which do not address the core issues with WvW, but instead address non-issues just to try and bring more players into the game mode. Before HoT, WvW players had been complaining for years about WvW rewards being pretty much non-existent. Why implement WvW rewards when WvW population is at an all time low?

The forums SHOULD be complaining about useless updates. No-one should be complaining about afk pips or other useless things. Instead people should be pushing for Anet to implement a better population matching system, better skill balance for WvW, help communities develop and thrive, train commanders etc…… but instead people are jealous that the guy standing in spawn gets a few more greens and blues than them.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

Hated it when it was announced and hate it even more after the first weekend. Gliding in WvW is complete crap and should be removed. The sooner the better.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

gliding is just crap and has no place in WvW, yesterday i saw a whole zone Blob glide from spawn into the tower..
meanwhile i saw half the gliders fall down out of air so me as roam heavy thief was like nice ill take all these tits that fall out of sky but nope none of em actually fell it was just my screen or server or w/e not loading any glider properly and just letting all these players rubber band all over the place..

top of that while i thought people where falling i was underneath em obviously so i pull out my shortbow in hope if i hit em their glide instantly gets removed but nope… i can hit all i want no1 gives a rats ass cus they just keep gliding its so pointless people jump off cliffs to aviod fights people glide from point X to Y to again avoid fights and instantly end up in better deffence position while the attackers they cant do a kitten about it..

make a balista? will this balista bang out a whole blob out of sky? or just 3/4/5 people cus thats not gonna make a difference when skill has X amount of seconds reuse or should we blow all supplies on making 20 balista and 1 ram/cata instead?

gliding doesnt make sense and its quite useless in WvW only people that like it are the ones that prefer to glide over enemies head to instantly land behind walls so they can sit on their arrow carts blasting on enemies heads and when the enemy did break the door open or wall they glide out again like a kitten..

yea the joy..

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Keviin Snow.5760

Keviin Snow.5760

Yes, I do know lots of people love the new gliding in WvW but as one who has been playing WvW for a few years now this gliding has completely ruined the game for me.

By the way, I can glide, so my disbelief and disappointment has nothing to do with so-called Pay to Win. I do have a HoT account on Fissure of Woe and Free-2-Play account on Anvil Rock.

Last night in WvW was a complete shambles with people gliding all over the place and enemies just jumping of the tallest cliffs in order to escape.

At our Citadel, instead of running down the steps, some of our own players were simply gliding down to the North West Tower so giving our enemies there little time to recover – very unfair to our enemies. The distances are already relatively short in the Alpine Borderlands but gliding has made them insanely short.

Seems no where is safe now – earlier so many lonely paths between steep cliffs where you knew you were relatively safe unless a stealthed player was about, but now people can just glide down from cliffs to you. Doesn’t matter whether its an enemy coming to attack you or a friendly coming to help you, we need distance to matter in WvW.

Lag, what a terrible time last night, teleporting to our Citadel while standing right outside was taking 30 seconds or more, sometimes a minute. There wasn’t a queue so the map wasn’t full. Perhaps the lag was just a coincidence or my network route had problems.

Sorry I’ve got no positive suggestions as still in shock.

Anyhow, for me, a truly wonderful amazing game ruined. Guess I’ll read more, give it while and reflect, perhaps its not as bad as I think.

P.S.
I’ve just seen some more posts where people love the gliding – could be I’m a dinosaur.

i know the feeling , a server took camp and then fly in OW and while we try to take a tower , 20+ wp back to keep and fly in their tower , with siege already build , so we ended up no able to take it , before we without flying , we were able to stop them from going in

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: arielwind.8921

arielwind.8921

For solutions, go to play Tower of Aion. (NCsoft game that has same gliding mechanics)
Each stronghold has a airborne barrier. Attackes break front gate and destroy the barrier generator inside, then everybody can air-raid from sky.
I suggest GW2 glider should not be in current WvW maps, because it’s not fair fight for those who can’t use it. I need a brand-new map for new gliding tactics.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

what statement did you even make? did it make sense? I mentioned that there are problems and you attacked like some startled dog.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Yes, I do know lots of people love the new gliding in WvW but as one who has been playing WvW for a few years now this gliding has completely ruined the game for me.

By the way, I can glide, so my disbelief and disappointment has nothing to do with so-called Pay to Win. I do have a HoT account on Fissure of Woe and Free-2-Play account on Anvil Rock.

Last night in WvW was a complete shambles with people gliding all over the place and enemies just jumping of the tallest cliffs in order to escape.

At our Citadel, instead of running down the steps, some of our own players were simply gliding down to the North West Tower so giving our enemies there little time to recover – very unfair to our enemies. The distances are already relatively short in the Alpine Borderlands but gliding has made them insanely short.

Seems no where is safe now – earlier so many lonely paths between steep cliffs where you knew you were relatively safe unless a stealthed player was about, but now people can just glide down from cliffs to you. Doesn’t matter whether its an enemy coming to attack you or a friendly coming to help you, we need distance to matter in WvW.

Lag, what a terrible time last night, teleporting to our Citadel while standing right outside was taking 30 seconds or more, sometimes a minute. There wasn’t a queue so the map wasn’t full. Perhaps the lag was just a coincidence or my network route had problems.

Sorry I’ve got no positive suggestions as still in shock.

Anyhow, for me, a truly wonderful amazing game ruined. Guess I’ll read more, give it while and reflect, perhaps its not as bad as I think.

P.S.
I’ve just seen some more posts where people love the gliding – could be I’m a dinosaur.

You know, I was actually thinking about these 2 towers quite a bit since gliding went live and played around with it.

And the thing I would do to it is very, very simple. Tie this particular one to the outnumbered buff. Yup.

If you’re outnumbered, you can glide from citadel territory into the towers. If not then can’t. This would be a great change. Would be effective on your own BL only and only when its difficult to defend (cause outnumbered). Would not affect blob vs blob or small force vs small force and would not give tactical advantage when going offensive.

Only defenders in a pinch would have this tactical boost on their own turf, which is exactly and precisely as it should be, but often isn’t.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Hexalot.8194

Hexalot.8194

Hated it when it was announced and hate it even more after the first weekend. Gliding in WvW is complete crap and should be removed. The sooner the better.

Are you a Commander by any chance ? :-D

Reason is I’ve seen a couple tags (well one in particular) on my server who absolutely refuse to use the glide mechanic… almost as if to prove a point. When everyone else is jumping out of garrison and gliding towards wherever, he just jumps straight down into the water and swims across. Same thing from Hills and just about anywhere else. Just prefers to take the old fashion way thus forcing the rest of the zerg to “wait up”.

Even when we take Fire Keep (which is a gliding paradise when you own it), it’s the same thing.

Thankfully he is just in a small minority though.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Reason is I’ve seen a couple tags (well one in particular) on my server who absolutely refuse to use the glide mechanic… almost as if to prove a point. When everyone else is jumping out of garrison and gliding towards wherever, he just jumps straight down into the water and swims across. Same thing from Hills and just about anywhere else. Just prefers to take the old fashion way thus forcing the rest of the zerg to “wait up”.

Even when we take Fire Keep (which is a gliding paradise when you own it), it’s the same thing.

I haven’t seen these, althought I have seen ones not paying proper attention to the border colours leadign full zerg to violate, premature meeting of their faces with ground…

and here you’d think it’s impossible for allied zerg to wipe itself without any enemy in proximity heh?

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Gliding was mostly a mess, but please dont disable it, i use it to leave the north keep without risking gravity death

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: MiniMe.1960

MiniMe.1960

No i’m a roamer. I only tag up to give intel/position of enemy zerg.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

It’s a shame that they wasted development hours on implementing gliding when there are much bigger items to address.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

It’s a shame that they wasted development hours on implementing gliding when there are much bigger items to address.

Like what?

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

phokus.8934

Like what?

In no particular order:

Balancing of skills/traits for WvW
Server linking for population imbalance
Incentivize small group play rather than blobbing
No reason to win a matchup other than bragging rights

These 4 things, although significant, would be the things to address rather than implementing gliding and figuring out how to make it work.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

Like what?

In no particular order:

These 4 things, although significant, would be the things to address rather than implementing gliding and figuring out how to make it work.

hmm lemme see
Balancing of skills is within responsibilites of balance team, not wvw team, server linking is still beign worked on, incentivizing small groups, well I’d like to hear here a suggestions because everything I have seen them trying was creating uproar of angry zerglings, and alot of existing incentives are flatly ignored for the zerg powah.

as for reasons to win….
the whole mode exist to fight and win so…… really? you need more reasons?

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

phokus.8934

Like what?

In no particular order:

hmm lemme see
Balancing of skills is within responsibilites of balance team, not wvw team, server linking is still beign worked on, incentivizing small groups, well I’d like to hear here a suggestions because everything I have seen them trying was creating uproar of angry zerglings, and alot of existing incentives are flatly ignored for the zerg powah.

as for reasons to win….

There’s an incentive to win in spvp but not in wvw. Winning doesn’t give you anything in this game. Not even an outfit, title, nothing. There needs to be something other than winning because really, what’s the point?

WvW balance is huge, significant actually so you can’t just bypass that at all.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Lord Trejgon.2809

Like what?

In no particular order:

hmm lemme see

as for reasons to win….

There’s an incentive to win in spvp but not in wvw. Winning doesn’t give you anything in this game. Not even an outfit, title, nothing. There needs to be something other than winning because really, what’s the point?

WvW balance is huge, significant actually so you can’t just bypass that at all.

I did not “bypassed” WvW balance – I have said that WvW balancing is within responsibilities of different devs – so it would be like someone demanded them to stop working on new armor skins and improve optimalisation of the game engine – artists working on armors are not engine developpers and artists working on new armro sets does not dimish amounts of people workign on the game engine.
WvW team can pass balancing feedback to actuall balance team but balancing is not their own goal.

as for rewards for “winning” the issue in comparision here is that in sPvP you have much more influence on whether you/your team wins than in WvW single player can affect scores of his server by himself.

and giving “rewards” determined only by which server won would probably create huge outcry about how unfair it is for servers with smaller populations, how it is exploitabel by server swappign etc. etc.

therefore to avoid such issues, players are instead [mostly] awarded for actions that are leading to the victory, not achieving victory on it’s own – so in theory you are awarded for actions that builds up to the overal victory instead of working for scraps until payout depending on how everyone else worked…..

but then last time I checked official WvWteam stance was that current priority of WvW development is getting dem rewards right – so who knows maybe they will add something in that regard – but personally I can’t see it being done in a way that players would care, but would not be inherently unfair to people happening to be on “wrong” servers

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Sounds to me like you’ve just encountered some new situations, which you’ll just have to get used to.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

Like what?

In no particular order:

As mentioned, the skills or class balancing isn’t really in the hands of the wvw team, I’m sure they can give input on skills to try and make some changes, as long as it doesn’t have a big impact on pve balance. Like the epidemic change. I believe the changes to revenants over the boon sharing stuff already did destroy that class for raiding, and probably something they won’t want to do often.

Population balance through linking won’t ever be perfect, and frankly hard for them to achieve since this is a game running 24/7 over many time zones. They tried to propose having more smaller servers in order to have more pieces for the link jigsaw puzzle, but the community said no. There is no other solution that will fix population imbalance for good, it will always be around in some form, yes even if you try to reset or merge it. The only way to control population is through smaller numbers or instances, but really we play wvw for the big numbers.

They tried to incentivize small group play with the desert borderlands, people hated it. You also cannot develop systems that punish players from playing together in a MMO, which is about all the players can come up with in their proposals. Everything is always just better to do with bigger numbers.

WvW started out about being the number 1 server, that fell apart quickly in the first months when bandwagoning took over from open transfers, plus the Titan alliance declared in the first month they had conquered wvw with like their 33-0 record with HoD. Population coverage and imbalances through free transfers and paid transfers destroyed that whole purpose, you were the top server only because you paid for it.

But what else can Anet do to provide a purpose for wvw? They were stuck on not giving wvw any significant reward because that always came back down to winning servers getting stacked and getting the most rewards, which the tournaments proved. They finally figured out how to get that working with the recent personal reward system through participation rather than server wins. You can also gain a lot of titles in wvw through their achievements, and wvw also has it’s “own” unique armor, backpiece and weapons now.

I suppose the only other thing they could do is provide more bragging rights with player and guild leader boards. At the end of the day it’s just an ongoing war, just play wvw to have fun in the way you enjoying playing it, don’t worry about server position, it’s meaningless and has been for years.

Gliding has been in the game for 2 years, all they really had to do was develop the territories and it’s permissions.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

(edited by XenesisII.1540)

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I am a vet and I am all for gliding. I love that it adds so much more strategy and tatics. It makes owning things a lot more important now. Before people would usually only defend our keeps due to the waypoints. Now people will come and defend towers and camps because they don’t want to lose the gliding ability. The gliding makes it so much faster to get to contested areas. Yes there are a few flaws in it but it is a new mechanism in wvw. Nothing starts out perfect and it will be tweaked over time to be fixed if it is kept. I hope they keep it. Gliding has brought life back into wvw and has made it extremely fun.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

what statement did you even make? did it make sense? I mentioned that there are problems and you attacked like some startled dog.

You said there was “a ton” and I corrected you that there’s only a handful. I’ll stand corrected if you can list the couple of thousand issues you stated there was?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Stand The Wall.6987

w/e man have the last say.

I’m perfectly fine with gliding staying but being able to glide into towers to defend with no risk is not very balanced. not to mention certain sides on ebg as well as the bls have advantages over others.

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

Gliding RULES.

Haters choose not to glide.

CCCP….

Gliding, what a shambles

in WvW

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

To the point of gliding to escape combat and the claim it allows people to avoid it easier.

It a wash here and there no real change overall. Gliding can just as easily be used to pursue people trying to escape combat. Broken zergs like to jump down cliffs and flee. This now harder to do as the side holding that area can glide after them.

As another stated this has led to persons defending a given area paying more attention to holding their towers and keeps. I rarely hear “let it go it just paper” and even if a smaller group defends against a larger, that smaller group is much more willing to try and hold that tower rather then suggest “they too large to fight let them take it”

People are also much more willing to hold camps which has in fact led to more battles in camps on our server. Added to that my perception is that there are in fact more people roaming of different classes than before and this might well be the slower of foot classes find it a bit easier to get across map or even escape an incoming group.

Might we call this group Gloamers?

There are certainly tweaks and adjustments needed but so far I think it a positive.

(edited by babazhook.6805)