Golem Rush will be AWESOME! Chill, naysayers

in WvW

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

Already, we’re seeing negative feedback regarding the upcoming WvW Golem Rush event.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-July-7-2015

However, before anyone flips out, I ask you all calm down and consider a few things.

WvWers have been very vocal about asking for more ANet attention, and more variety
Well, this is a small bit of proof that ANet has decided to make a move regarding WvW. Is this the first indication of a larger trend? Maybe, maybe not! I suspect it will depend largely on the community reaction to the event.

“But everyone always hates Golems foreverz!! ANet never listens to us!!”
I would direct you to look up the False-Consensus effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect
Inaccurate blanket statements like this, using “everyone” “always” and “never” often result from this social effect.
Now, is there a vocal minority that dislike golems? Definitely.
I know many people that love them, many that are neutral about them, and many that hate them. The opinions run across the entire spectrum. You cannot assume everyone simply agrees with you.

“This is going to ruin WvW for the week!!”
If by ruin, you mean totally destroy the current balance, then Yes. Yes it will.
This event is poised to totally annihilate and restructure the ‘meta’ for that week.
I suspect everything will be paper 24/7, with gates and walls spending more time broken than fixed.
Zergs will be chaotic clusters of Alphas with a handful Omegas mixed in.
PPT will be a mess.
It will be GLORIOUS.
And it will be FUN!!!

It’s a ‘vacation’ from WvW
The WvW you know and love is not going anywhere. Regular ol’ WvW will be coming back the following week. Think of this like a vacation, spring break, a chance to go wild and have fun. After the smoke clears, we’ll be back to stacking on tag, empowering, blasting water fields, and flash building rams just the same as always.

This is a relatively easy event, and easy to undo
ANet just needs to tweak a few numbers, Golem speed, damage, and supply cost, and bam. Done. If this REALLY a disaster like some are claiming, the effects can be reversed early with relative ease.

So, instead of getting up in arms, start polishing those Alphas!
Get to crafting those Omegas!
See how many Golems you can bork with a single disabler toss!
And most importantly, have fun

in WvW

Posted by: Spoon.6170

Spoon.6170

Uh, no……….

in WvW

Posted by: Murksler.5261

Murksler.5261

Yep this will be a vacation for me.
One week without playing GW2.

in WvW

Dand.8231

Uh, no……….

Highly detailed, and well thought out, counterpoints! Now ANet knows exactly why you hate their event! Kudos sirs!
/s

in WvW

Posted by: Rookni.2469

Rookni.2469

Don’t need counterpoints as you already listed the negatives in your main post. They could keep kitten like this for one day or a weekend max. Don’t troll us for a full week!

Commander Yolo Oh Trollo. The power is in the moustache
http://www.youtube.com/user/itsjustfiction

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Cause its completely out of touch of how veteran players play this game mode? Another proof they are completely clueless. But yeah it is some “Attention” of Anet like you stated although poorly thought out.

I know its just a week but voicing my opinion on this cause when i dont they shove up other kittene ideas like this through our throat.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

“Lmfao, people are so over dramatic. It’s for a few days. And it’s a video game. How about have fun with it instead of acting like it’s the end of the world?

I’m excited about this… I can stop sitting in towers, starting upgrades, scouting, building siege and refreshing, etc. for the week and enjoy a mindless farm with a bunch of golems, it sounds great. It could cost us the match because we don’t have enough coverage who knows but it’ll be fun none the less and that’s the point of the game isn’kitten I thought all anyone ever did anymore was PPT anyway.

Please put the game down and step outside for a while if you’re actually angry about this."

As I had said in another thread.

Not upset about this at all and very excited. People just need to relax and get some fresh air. I’m actually a bit surprised and concerned at how many people take the game as seriously as they do… Wouldn’t want to play ball hockey with any of them that’s for sure.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

One week out of many more that you will play this game.

The only thing I can think of is how this will create memories in the future, which will be fun to look back at, even if this goes to hell or not.

in WvW

Dand.8231

Cause its completely out of touch of how veteran players play this game mode? Another proof they are completely clueless. But yeah it is some “Attention” of Anet like you stated although poorly thought out.

I know its just a week but voicing my opinion on this cause when i dont they shove up other kittene ideas like this through our throat.

I’m a Vet. Been playing since shortly after launch, and WvW has always been the main appeal for me. And I love this idea.

Again, im certain some Players/Vets hate this idea, but I also know that other Players/Vets love it. You can’t just say they’re out of touch because they don’t agree with YOU. That’s the False-Consensus effect, again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect

It’s fine to hate it, and equally fine to speak up on why you hate it, but I would suggest you at least attempt to be CONSTRUCTIVE in your dissent.

in WvW

Murksler.5261

Ok one point for you:
If you want to fight the Zombie-Golems you need golems yourself. If you have no golems you can’t fight them because they got 100% more dmg and 100% more speed.

So I can’t do a normal raid with my guild for a whole week. It will only a week of Eotm-karma-train on the normal WvW maps.

No strategies, no movement nothing. Just circle-karma-train.

Welcome to Eotm-Karma-Golem-Train-Week.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

If you don’t care for this, Then look at it this way…

Lots and lots of golems will be used over the week draining the supply and increasing the cost. The following week, you may see less golems than normal because of cost…..

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

Yeah normal raids will be skipped that week. Golems are extremely immune to gank so havoc are pretty much out that week. The effectiveness in fighting golems will be limited.

It is a pure slugfest. Not much strategy in maneuvering or counterplay at all.

I can see it being an amusing diversion to do once or twice but the gameplay for regular raids, entirely skippable.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

in WvW

Dand.8231

Ok one point for you:
If you want to fight the Zombie-Golems you need golems yourself. If you have no golems you can’t fight them because they got 100% more dmg and 100% more speed.

So I can’t do a normal raid with my guild for a whole week. It will only a week of Eotm-karma-train on the normal WvW maps.

I feel your reasoning is flawed, though I understand the basis behind it. You’re taking the current Golem situation is simply multiplying it by 50.

Consider these counterpoints:
1. Golem Rushes are largely successful because they’re SURPRISE attacks. People don’t normally expect Golems, and when Golems do get scouted, they typically get rekt hard and fail to accomplish anything.
Golem week will be a week where expectations change drastically. The meta will quickly shift to account for and handle the Golem hordes.

2. Defenders rarely have Golems. They mostly reply on Cannons, ACs, and disablers.
Golem Rush week will see Golems on BOTH sides, attack AND defense.

Also? Two bonuses for Golem haters:
Golems may be less plentiful in the following WvW weeks, as both the supply and demand may be low from overuse.

Anti-Golem tactics will flourish, and may remain a small part of the meta in the future, after Golem Rush week.

in WvW

Murksler.5261

With your points here given I think you’re not very familiar with WvW.

1. Seems like you never encounterd a 50 Golem walk from keep to keep. It will be no different than this.

2. Defending Omega golems were very common back in the days when PPT was a thing.

Also one point to add, you know there is a limit of golems per map, if one server take all the space of golems you will have no one on your side. Have fun to fight them with no golems.

Edit: I would have no problems with it, if it will be Eotm only. But this will not happen.

(edited by Murksler.5261)

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

No it will kittening suck.

in WvW

Posted by: ChoChoBo.6503

ChoChoBo.6503

The more and more I think about this event, the more and more it gives off pay2win vibes.

Rich servers who can afford massive amounts of golems are just gonna rekt everyone.

Anet knows that there’s no gold to be made in WvW so WvWer’s are gonna have to shell out a bit for gem2gold4golems (g2g4g) is this what they think about when they see gVg threads?. Very smart event on Anet’s side of things.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I’m one of those that hate Golems. And Omegas should be removed from the game. Heck all superior siege should be removed from the game.

But I’m looking forward to this. Its just a week and it should be fun. I’ll personally be running around in a Golem the whole time.

In fact Omegas should be removed from normal weeks and have special events where they bring them back every now and then.

in WvW

Posted by: Tranquillity.8697

Tranquillity.8697

The biggest problem i see with the golem rush event will be that night capping will be crazy. I can only speak for EU mid tier right now but it is common that during the night only 10-15 ppl are on a server. Maybe none are online on the other 2 servers.

So yeah… throw 15 golems on each map and clear it in notime.

[Elona Reach]

in WvW

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

It’s just for one week for kittens sake.

in WvW

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Then take a week off? Or better yet take a week off from ppt and give wvw’s gvg / 1v1 seen a shot.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in WvW

Posted by: MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

MaximillianVonSchatten.6278

So now everyone who was complaining about WvW being stagnant are complaining about one week with a twist? C’mon people!

I can’t wait to see how the dynamic plays out. Get those points into golem mastery, gear up and have some fun!

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Then take a week off? Or better yet take a week off from ppt and give wvw’s gvg / 1v1 seen a shot.

Of course I will take the week of, that’s besides the point of complaining. When I ask for some more attention to wvw I tend to think not about siege, and in the last fact those stupid kittened up golems that ruin fights already. Why the hell would I want more of them running around.

in WvW

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

gvg’s will be off for the week- people will troll them with golems. People line up to wtach in their golems, half way through suddenly and omega fires off at a bad time for one side and boom , gvg result broken.

It’s going to be a karma train, at best. At worst, some more of the few remaining veterans will decide to find some other game to play.

And don’t forget the revenant weekend this weekend, where pre purchasers can roll a revenant and play in wvw (I wonder how many upscaled revs will be ruining wvw that weekend..)

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP:

The good news is that in a week everyone will know that you are either a genius or completely clueless.

in WvW

Jski.6180

gvg’s will be off for the week- people will troll them with golems. People line up to wtach in their golems, half way through suddenly and omega fires off at a bad time for one side and boom , gvg result broken.

It’s going to be a karma train, at best. At worst, some more of the few remaining veterans will decide to find some other game to play.

And don’t forget the revenant weekend this weekend, where pre purchasers can roll a revenant and play in wvw (I wonder how many upscaled revs will be ruining wvw that weekend..)

Golems are still golems and they are super slow. Even with the +100% dmg to players you can kit them all day long with out any real problem.

Look at it this way ppt is shot for this coming week in wvw ppl say ppt is not important to them so lets see who realty can stay with there worlds.

in WvW

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Don’t need counterpoints as you already listed the negatives in your main post. They could keep kitten like this for one day or a weekend max. Don’t troll us for a full week!

What about people who can only play on certain days, a week is more then fair to make sure most people get a chance.

in WvW

aspirine.6852

Golems are still golems and they are super slow. Even with the +100% dmg to players you can kit them all day long with out any real problem.

Look at it this way ppt is shot for this coming week in wvw ppl say ppt is not important to them so lets see who realty can stay with there worlds.

“All siege golems in WvW will move at 100% additional movement speed.”
Well there is this..

in WvW

Jski.6180

Well there is this..

Attk skill still root golems so golems are still golems.

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

Well there is this..

Don’t forget traveler runes/ mesmo portals/ and even Super Speed from certain utilities.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

in WvW

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

The more and more I think about this event, the more and more it gives off pay2win vibes.

Rich servers who can afford massive amounts of golems are just gonna rekt everyone.

Anet knows that there’s no gold to be made in WvW so WvWer’s are gonna have to shell out a bit for gem2gold4golems (g2g4g) is this what they think about when they see gVg threads?. Very smart event on Anet’s side of things.

You can buy golem blueprints with badges of honor as well. WvWers will be just fine – if not better off – than those buying with gold.

People are really resistant to trying anything new at all. I say give it a chance. It’s a temporary event that really doesnt hurt anything.

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Uh, no……….

Highly detailed, and well thought out, counterpoints! Now ANet knows exactly why you hate their event! Kudos sirs!
/s

I believe the post you linked to in your OP listed all the reasons why people who enjoy WvW will hate this event. There is no need to rehash it here.

Fact is, instead of listening to MANY people regarding ways to fix current issues in WvW and listening to the MANY players that really don’t like how Golem rushes can already be abused, they have instead made an event not for the “fun” it might bring, but because they want to clear their market place of the surplus there to fix the price of the blueprints.

There will be nothing fun about this event for smaller WvW population servers that already struggle to put up numbers. Enjoy it if you’d like, but understand that it WILL hurt WvW more than help it.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in WvW

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

It’s just for one week for kittens sake.

So is Anet also disabling PPT for that week? Are they going to let the rankings shift based on what happens during that week?

No?

Then there is a problem with it.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

MANY

You use “many” way too liberally without any data to support it.

I love golems and can’t wait for the mayhem. btw, if you’re a WvW veteran, you should have tens of thousands of badges to spend on golems.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

If by “awesome” you mean terrible then I agree with you. A golem rush event, especially one that lasts several days, is pretty much the polar opposite of what wvw needs and what the general wvw community has been asking for. But whatever it’s their game to do with as they see fit.

BG

in WvW

Posted by: arglmauf.8401

arglmauf.8401

Think the event is nice but as usual, it’s the context that is the problem.
It would probably have been greeted much more positive if we had some more meaningful changes first.

A-Net: First the meaningful things, then the silly stuff. Not the other way round please.

in WvW

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

kitten the golems
i’m getting my fear walls ready
Edge of the Mists
gonna fear so many golems to their dooms!!! muahahahahahahahahahah trips and falls off edge

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Think the event is nice but as usual, it’s the context that is the problem.
It would probably have been greeted much more positive if we had some more meaningful changes first.

A-Net: First the meaningful things, then the silly stuff. Not the other way round please.

I can just picture the Anet staff sitting there in bewilderment muttering something about “never being able to please these people” and “nothing we do makes them happy”

It’s almost like they’re out of touch with their wvw players…

BG

in WvW

TJgalon.5012

If by “awesome” you mean terrible then I agree with you. A golem rush event, especially one that lasts several days, is pretty much the polar opposite of what wvw needs and what the general wvw community has been asking for. But whatever it’s their game to do with as they see fit.

So your saying other players should not enjopy this, just who can get on at one time?
I seem to recall people dislike that idea before from a different event.

in WvW

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

I for one , will be getting screen shots of the golem blobs. I think it is more like comedic relief for the stale WvW. Its got to be funny imho. I am at least willing to try it before knocking it down.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

So your saying other players should not enjopy this, just who can get on at one time?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say/ask. Sorry :\

BG

in WvW

TJgalon.5012

Your saying the event should not last a week, only a day or less. What about all the people who can say, only play during the week, or during the weekend, or maybe on a Thursday only. Giving a week for the event, makes sure most people can try it out, have a little fun, but you suggest limiting it.

in WvW

Kanebrake.6192

Your saying the event should not last a week, only a day or less. What about all the people who can say, only play during the week, or during the weekend, or maybe on a Thursday only. Giving a week for the event, makes sure most people can try it out, have a little fun, but you suggest limiting it.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

What I’m saying is that the “event” should not happen at all. I’m saying it’s a terrible idea and is NOT what wvw needs. I’m saying there are a ton of other things that would be better for wvw at this point in time. I’m saying it’s a gimmick that wasn’t well thought out.

BG

in WvW

TJgalon.5012

Seems more like a chance to break up the routine, more so, wvw is getting a major update and a new map soon enough, so lets have a little fun before then too.

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Ok one point for you:

I feel your reasoning is flawed, though I understand the basis behind it. You’re taking the current Golem situation is simply multiplying it by 50.

Consider these counterpoints:
1. Golem Rushes are largely successful because they’re SURPRISE attacks. People don’t normally expect Golems, and when Golems do get scouted, they typically get rekt hard and fail to accomplish anything.
Golem week will be a week where expectations change drastically. The meta will quickly shift to account for and handle the Golem hordes.

2. Defenders rarely have Golems. They mostly reply on Cannons, ACs, and disablers.
Golem Rush week will see Golems on BOTH sides, attack AND defense.

Also? Two bonuses for Golem haters:
Golems may be less plentiful in the following WvW weeks, as both the supply and demand may be low from overuse.

Anti-Golem tactics will flourish, and may remain a small part of the meta in the future, after Golem Rush week.

What anti golem tactics? Did you miss the part where golems will cost 0 supply? That means a 5 man group can walk up to a keep door and spike build 5 golems. If you do kill a golem and the driver has golem mastery he will pop out at full health in stealth, throw down another golem and hop in.

Whoever thought this up was high as kitten or just decided it would be hilarious to kitten over WvW players.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

And the WvW vets wonder and complain about never getting any attention…

The stick-in-the-mud attitudes and general same-y nature of WvW is why I practically never set foot in it anymore. The way I see it, perhaps this can usher in various paradigm-shifts to mix it up every now and again. But again, people will likely cry about those too.

I wonder what other WvW modes people would be interested in the devs making (the people that aren’t clamoring for more status quo, that is). If it has a good turn-out, maybe they can just split WvW up so people that don’t want any changes can have their own megaserver.

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

And the WvW vets wonder and complain about never getting any attention…

The stick-in-the-mud attitudes and general same-y nature of WvW is why I practically never set foot in it anymore. The way I see it, perhaps this can usher in various paradigm-shifts to mix it up every now and again. But again, people will likely cry about those too.

I wonder what other WvW modes people would be interested in the devs making (the people that aren’t clamoring for more status quo, that is). If it has a good turn-out, maybe they can just split WvW up so people that don’t want any changes can have their own megaserver.

Are you really this clueless? WvW has been stagnant for a long, long while, but that doesn’t mean that any change is a good change. Beefed up golems alienate the PPT crowd who don’t want their precious objectives flipping every 5 minutes, and the fights crowd who tend to want nothing to do with siege – that’s not an insignificant population.

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Well, You sure have no business trying to disingenuously claim you speak for all veteran players, so perhaps you should stick to voicing just your opinion, and not implying you speak for veterans.

I for one, have seen thread upon thread upon thread, and post upon post upon post, of veterans, claiming they didn’t care what it was, but they wanted to see Anet try some different things from week to week. Looking through your post history, I see you personally made similar demands, without offering specifics.

Now when they try some stuff just for fun, or to break the monotony, you, yourself, and others complain about, you complain about that.

Good, one more spot I can get a guildy in on. Thanks for helping out some of us larger guilds who can fill up a server.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I was about to buy gems so I could buy siege and foods for WvW, soooooooooooo thankful I read patch notes first.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

People acting like this is the end of World vs World as we know it lol.

Yall realise its only one week right? I mean, are you really gonna die if you have one week out of the year thats a bit weird?

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

in WvW

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Uh, no……….

/s

Us: “We could really use some attention on things that we’ve been talking about for a long time…”
Anet: “Hey everyone, we’re going to beat you with two-by-fours with nails in them for a week.”
Us: “What! WHY? Why are you beating us?”
You: “Stop complaining you’re getting attention aren’t you?”

A helpful analogy for why we’re not excited about this, sir.

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari