Gw2 PvP broken?

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: connieboy.9840

connieboy.9840

I am completely new to the game, just rolled a Mesmer and have tried my hand at some WvW. It is my understanding that you get a soft boost to 80 in order to be of some worth to your team (my Mesmer is level 20 outside of WvW).

I have tried roaming and doing some 1v1 encounters. It seems like there is no class I can best. I ran into a thief earlier guarding a point, and I believe he was afk at first. It took me 5-10 seconds to get him to about 60%, at which point he must have returned, as he went into stealth, and within less than a second of reappearing on me, I went 100-0.

So my question is, does the outlook get better as you level up/get actual gear?
Or is this what I should expect from GW2 PvP, and just give up before I get too far.

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: Jscull.2514

Jscull.2514

What are you used to? Gw2 is one of the “smoothest” combat games I have played. Balance doesn’t exist, and just like every other game in the past 5-7 years most people run “stay alive at all costs” builds due to fear of ridicule via losing.

99% of the population play the game to win. Winning at all cost. Less than 1% try to challenge themselves outside of a realm of comfort (comfort being guaranteeing numbers for victory surrounding them).

That all being said, it does offer a platform for “open” pvp. My suggestion, ask around for people who think, play, have backgrounds in gaming like you…. And stick with them.

PAXA -GM

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: UltraHiDef.4809

UltraHiDef.4809

You’re level 20, your armor and damage is that of a level 20. You won’t do much, and your just a rallybot in WvW.

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: Barret.4095

Barret.4095

yes an up leveled is pretty much a free kill. it is pretty much like a lvl80 with lvl20 gear vs. a lvl80 with lvl80 gear + ascended gear.

you also have to know how other the class’s mechanics work so you know how to counter them.

“For those whose time and dedication went above and beyond, only to achieve mediocrity”

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

Getting upscaled in WvWvW is pretty superficial, you can’t wear lvl 80 Exotic/Ascended gear and the matching runes/sigils and at lvl 20 you don’t even have an elite and probably only enough skill points to unlock a few utilities wich may or may not be useful to a viable build. And you’re a Mes, one of the slowest(if not the slowest) classes in the game and you’re not even high enough to trait to dominate or even annoy/escape.

Stick with a group for now. Of course since you’re upleveled you run the risk of annoying guild groups who are trying to avoid rally bait.

Whispers with meat.

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: connieboy.9840

connieboy.9840

I appreciate the quick responses, they are what I wanted to hear.

@gennty, are you saying Mesmers are lacking in WvW or that they are only lacking until a certain level?

I would like to be able to viably roam solo, but also benefit a large group when I encounter them. I refuse to play thief or warrior, but is there a class better suited for this than Mesmer?

(edited by connieboy.9840)

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: theodor.3480

theodor.3480

Not mesmers, but all classes in general. At low levels you are pretty much useles.

I hear no evil, I fear no evil

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

You can definitely solo as a Mesmer but since speed is not the Mesmer’s forte, you should consider building to trick and confuse your opponent until they literally keel over or stop pursuit because of mental fatigue.

Whispers with meat.

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

You’re level 20.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

Gw2 PvP broken?

in WvW

Posted by: Professor Sensei.2941

Professor Sensei.2941

You might get some good responses here but keep in mind WvW is far from balanced. I’ve always viewed it as a chance to show off what you have eared in the game. That being said my level 80 thief will 2-3 shot a level 20 Mesmer any day. The best advice you can find on the forums will be under your classes forum section. If its anything like the thief forums people will post builds, videos, and have basic discussions about the class and how to counter other classes. Now if you want to use WvW as a means to level ignor all the QQ about a up level enjoying the game and run on over to the commander tag. You will see other mesmers in action and will have the chance to ask them for advice on the class. When it comes to mesmers in a 1v1 or roaming situation I’ve seen a build get popular where they pop in and out of stealth constantly applying confusion to me non stop. No idea what that was but I’m sure you could find it. Seems to be a legit build.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple