Help Choosing a WvW focused character..

in WvW

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

Hey everyone,

I am looking to make a character that is more WvW focused. I’d appreciate some advice as to what kind of class to role. I had just leveled a Warrior to 40+ and then started to hear things about them not being so great in WvW.

Here is what I am looking for in a WvW character;

I’d like to be a class with a decent roaming capability, and good for small group battles. 1v2, 2v1, ect.

I’d like to be a class that can make the fights last longer. I don’t want to depend on ‘burst him down before he bursts you down’. I’d like to be able to out last my opponent vs, out burst him.

I just tried an engineer and really didn’t have fun doing it. I’m thinking about trying out a ranger for the first time..

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

i’m just curious, why do you care how long it takes to bring someone down? Or are you equating that “burst” with being a glass cannon? In WvW, the faster you can drop someone the better- his friends might show up!

in WvW

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I’d there to be more of a fight to it. I don’t want it to be so much about who gets the jump on who, or who spams their abilities the fastest, I’d like there to be a little bit more tactics involved.

I also find that in WvW as soon as someone is not going down right away, the other player starts to panic, they don’t know what to do after they’ve used all their skills once.

in WvW

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I’m going to get a lot of fire for this, but you should try a warrior. I main a warrior and while I do play /more/ for damage, my build is a hybrid where I maintain 50% crit chance (my build relies on pricing crit-based conditions, so don’t tell me that 42% is ideal. I know.), 1400 toughness to be able to maintain myself in a fight whereas a full zerker warrior will have 900 and be unable to sustain a fight, 450 condition damage without food (600 with) to give you an edge against bunkers who only have to out-heal and out last you to win, and 89% critical damage when swapped to axes (70% when longbow is equipped). I run most WvW with my guild of generally 5-man havoc nights and more often than not groups of 2-3 when we aren’t at our prime time, and I’ve been thanked time and time again for providing a valuable and versatile range of possibility for my team in a fight.

On a side note, I wish I could have recorded it, but a group of 8 lowbies and one properly leveled player found me alone 3 months ago north of our spawn in our home borderlands. I came out of that fight with 9 bags, thanks to Vengeance and the trait which allows you to have 100% chance to rally when you get a kill in vengeance.

Try a warrior, please. Play with finding a balance between stats rather than minmaxing like most warriors do, and I think you’ll find that we aren’t the underdog of PvP/WvW everyone assumes us to be.

in WvW

Posted by: Parktou.4263

Parktou.4263

Tanky profs like guard/ele/mesmer are probably what you’re looking for. Ranger can work too, they’re actually a really good profession for 1v1s and the like.

Shocking Shorty-Asura Tempest | Magnificent Mike-Troll Warrior | Lockpick Louie- Human Daredevil
Fabio Feline- Charr DH | Viktor Virtuoso-Norn Reaper | Pocket Prestige-Asura Chrono
Killer Kasserole-Plant Druid | Frankie Feline-Cat Scrapper | Felix Feline-Charr Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

I’d there to be more of a fight to it…..

I’m an Engineer, so I don’t really have to worry about it being one-sided, lol. I have to constantly cycle thru different kits and weapons to do ANY damage. You say spam, I say survival.

(edited by Soon.5240)

in WvW

Viking Jorun.5413

I’d there to be more of a fight to it…..

I’m an Engineer, so I don’t really have to worry about it being one-sided, lol. I have to constantly cycle thru different kits and weapons to do ANY damage. You say spam, I say survival.

But that’s exactly like how a game of chess goes. If you start to let your opponent control the fight, you lose. Simply surviving isn’t good enough.

in WvW

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

First off;
WARRIORS ARE AMAZING IN WvW. (Not sorry for caps at all, tired of people saying they suck.)

Never let anyone tell you differently. They are a core part of any organized team for Their massive hammer CC, Banner ressurect(+boons), and Warhorn skills an traits. I strongly recommend giving Warrior a try if you actually like the class and play with friends.

If you are not looking for as much of a team-only orientated character I would suggest either Guardian(Not what you thought, I know, but my friend roams with one and is quite happy. Unfortunately I don’t know his build off the top of my head.) or Ranger. Both have some good tanky roaming builds that sound like you might enjoy. Mesmer is another possibility and have quite a few tricks for survival but I’m not as familiar with their builds and if you didn’t like engineer I’m not sure how you’ll take to Mesmer.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

in WvW

Posted by: kurtosis.9526

kurtosis.9526

I am looking to make a character that is more WvW focused. I’d appreciate some advice as to what kind of class to role. I had just leveled a Warrior to 40+ and then started to hear things about them not being so great in WvW.

Warriors are awesome in WvW, just not in 1v1 type situations.

I’d like to be a class with a decent roaming capability, and good for small group battles. 1v2, 2v1, ect.

I’d like to be a class that can make the fights last longer. I don’t want to depend on ‘burst him down before he bursts you down’. I’d like to be able to out last my opponent vs, out burst him.

Oh. Well in that case, thief, mesmer, guardian, ranger, engineer, and elementalist all have valid builds that do that. So do Necro’s too, and they’re top tier for large scale zerg or GvG battles, but not sure how they fair 1vX.

It’s more of matter of figuring out which class feels most fun, then learning how build and spec it for your preferred playtstyle.

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Warriors are excellent in WvW. One really attractive thing about them is that they can do exceptionally well in a zerg, small scale team fight and 1vXs. They are really mobile and underrated as a roamer also, IMO. Id recommend if your going to commit to just one, then go with the warrior. I really don’t think any class can fit into every role as good as a warrior. Sure, you will have to respect/gear, but a warrior can do everything well.

in WvW

Posted by: Leger.3724

Leger.3724

Role a thief or a guardian.

in WvW

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

You can spec any class to be viable in WvW. There’s actually little difference in basic specs, far outweighed by the individual build you choose.

It’s more a case of finding a class that suits your playstyle. If you like to stand still in the middle of the zerg and slog at things, Warrior’s perfect. If you’re a loner who likes to sneak around the deserted battleground looking for unsuspecting victims, then thief’s your style. etc. etc.

in WvW

Viking Jorun.5413

You can spec any class to be viable in WvW. There’s actually little difference in basic specs, far outweighed by the individual build you choose.

It’s more a case of finding a class that suits your playstyle. If you like to stand still in the middle of the zerg and slog at things, Warrior’s perfect. If you’re a loner who likes to sneak around the deserted battleground looking for unsuspecting victims, then thief’s your style. etc. etc.

It’s posts like these about warrior that shows this person has never played one, and if they have they aren’t doing it right. Yes, a warrior can be very effective in zergs. We’re also very effective in havoc groups, and we’re extremely powerful in 1vX fights if you know what you’re doing and how to counter the enemy’s build and class. I roam as a longbow warrior frequently, and also have my sniper gear for when I zerg to get those long range kill shots, but I rarely wear that armor set. We’re an extremely versatile class, which means you need several sets of gear for every situation to get the most out of your warrior. Make sure to save your builds because you’ll be swapping them depending on how you plan to run WvW that day.

On a side note I’m loving the warrior love in this thread ^^.

in WvW

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

Retaliation Guardian.

BM/Condi/Bunker Ranger

Conditionmancer/Condi necro (Necros can be fantastic in 1v1 situations if played right, though it takes a lot of practice)

Thief – Burst DPS, but excellent for roaming.

Hammer Warrior

D/D Ele

Bunker/Retaliation mesmer

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

I love all the warrior bias in the thread. Heres the truth though. WvW is a PVX environment. While warriors are excellent in the PVE aspects of the game they fall short of other professions in PVP. That being said warriors a great at soloing camps and taking sentries as well as roaming around do to the excellent mobility. Where they fall short are running solo vs any other profession controlled by skilled players or any situation where its 2 skilled players vs your 1 warrior. All u can do is run.

They bring great team support to wvw as they have a lot of things like banners, shouts, and CC. To build your character primarily for a support role and a meat shield will make you worthless for anything outside of group and zerg play.

The truth is warrior is a jack of all trades in wvw and master of none. No mater what you do another class can replace you in that role and do better except they dont have your banners.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

(edited by Warlord.9074)

in WvW

Posted by: Kopipoki.3542

Kopipoki.3542

Hey everyone,

Here is what I am looking for in a WvW character;

I just tried an engineer and really didn’t have fun doing it. I’m thinking about trying out a ranger for the first time..

What your looking for is probably something along the lines of a D/D ele or a bunker guardian, maybe even a thief.

Warrior’s in my experience don’t excel in prolonged fights. Especially vs condition builds. Both condition removal and healing are sort of lacking. They do however do very well in small group encounters and OK in zergs.

Roaming on a War is pretty decent they have great mobility I can’t catch thieves but then again i don’t think many classes can. In 1v1 fights I can usually kill the other player but if not I can get away fairly easily. Where I find myself struggling is in 1v2 or more situations as opposed to on my guard or ele where i love fighting these fights.

in WvW

Viking Jorun.5413

Heres the truth

The “truth” as you call it is just popular opinion that’s been driven into the heads of seemingly everyone. The warrior is fantastic in tPvP, but only behind extremely skilled players. You have to make sure you’ve key bound everything useful, including walk/run and sheath/draw weapons. I personally have received nothing but good commentary from my opponents, and even more so on the Battle of Kyhlo map, where I use my Death From Above trait to knock enemy players off of the central point when my build has almost no CC other than an immobilize and cripple. It’s a matter of playing the profession right, not playing the profession how everyone else plays it.

in WvW

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

I roll warrior and ranger mainly in WvW both are really good for all aspects of the WvW scenario!

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

So do Necro’s too, and they’re top tier for large scale zerg or GvG battles, but not sure how they fair 1vX.

Necros are one of the most difficult classes to 1vX with, the other one being warriors, and against competent players I would say 1vX on a necro is near impossible. They simply don’t have the tools such as easy access to stability, invulnerability, invisibility, evade skills, mobility skills, and spamable condition removal that are abundant among the classes “skilled” players use when fighting multiple opponents. There are a few situations where I’ve won a 1v2 against lvl 80s such as when both classes are melee with low mobility such as guards allowing me to kite them around with marks and CC, or if you’re going against zerg-focused classes such as staff eles. However, if you happen to come across 2 players and one of them is either a mesmer or a BM ranger, my advice would be to run your kitten off.

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Heres the truth

The “truth” as you call it is just popular opinion that’s been driven into the heads of seemingly everyone. The warrior is fantastic in tPvP, but only behind extremely skilled players. You have to make sure you’ve key bound everything useful, including walk/run and sheath/draw weapons. I personally have received nothing but good commentary from my opponents, and even more so on the Battle of Kyhlo map, where I use my Death From Above trait to knock enemy players off of the central point when my build has almost no CC other than an immobilize and cripple. It’s a matter of playing the profession right, not playing the profession how everyone else plays it.

The truth is not everyone is wrong but you and SPVP isnt the same as wvw. Instead of praising a class that I play. I give honest opinion.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

Based on your description you could potentially stick with your Warrior. They have many leaps and can have perma swiftness, coupled with Dogged March and some food/Runes you need never fear slows – very vital to proper roaming. I don’t know too well how’d they’d fare in WvW duels, but playing fair is a sucker’s game.

If you just hate your Warrior you can roll Thief. You don’t even have to spec for burst.