Holding Commanders to Higher Standards

in WvW

Posted by: ClaraFee.2579

ClaraFee.2579

Let’s at least all agree on this: You don’t just accidentally buy a 100G book and become a Commander. Buying the book implies that you want to lead and teach, and that others will be looking at you to provide guidance and set an example.

If we can agree on this point, then shouldn’t our commanders be held to higher standards when it comes to swearing in chat and verbal abuse?

Take for example the Darkhaven commander in the screenshot attached here. This is not acceptable or productive for building a community on what is still a fairly new and developing game.

So should commanders be able to slide under the radar with their raging and abuse, or should instances of their misconduct be prioritized above others? If you think there are too many commanders on any given server, then let’s urge Anet to purge the ones who behave like this guy.

Attachments:

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]
Join Darkhaven at http://www.darkhaven.us

(edited by ClaraFee.2579)

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Yep. But typically what happens is the masses on map who come to follow a commander soon learn not to follow the abusive one. Then that abusive commander starts to lose support and will have spent 100g for nothing when they have no one to back them up. Just because you have an icon, doesn’t mean people will follow y’know?

Either that or folks will just leave the map if they see this guy on, and WvW suffers. It’s really up to the server-at-large to monitor and correct this kind of behaviour, or lose bodies in their efforts to fight.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

(edited by Jayne.9251)

in WvW

Posted by: Grit.9061

Grit.9061

A-net isn’t going to hold Commanders to a higher standard, but the community on your server needs to. Nobody should be following or listening to someone who would go on a tirade like that. It’s just a game after all.

I can empathize with fellow Commanders who shoulder a lot of responsibility in WvW and then get blamed for everything that goes wrong.. and I don’t agree with the content of this thread, as it’s basically calling out a specific commander under the guise of asking a legitimate question. But obviously there’s no excuse for the behavior in this screenshot.

You can report people for verbal abuse, so that would be a good idea whenever you see this happen. It will take more than one report for the proper action to be taken.

[LION] Lion’s Arch Irregulars – Dragonbrand
lionsarch.org

in WvW

Posted by: AlterINate.4815

AlterINate.4815

While I do agree that the behavior in the screenshot is unacceptable, I agree and disagree with holding commanders to higher standards. I agree because commanders get a lot of attention and their actions are often scrutinized by the community- we wouldn’t want to be giving our community and newer members the impression that that kind of behavior is acceptable. I disagree because commanders are players too, and at the end of the day, any person acting like that should simply not be tolerated. A commander who insults his followers will soon realize he has no one to follow him.

Co-Leader – Kaineng Raiders [KR]
Lvl 80 Warrior – Crovanax

in WvW

ClaraFee.2579

I really don’t see anything wrong with Anet stripping people of their blue arrows when they behave in this way. 100g wasted is a pretty solid lesson to learn – you can’t really afford to make that mistake numerous times.

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]

in WvW

Posted by: Vodka.3958

Vodka.3958

lol looks like someone got steam-rolled into a rough QQ…

Commander [ICoa] Hollywood Fiend
Primal Emperor of Imperial Coalition
imperialcoalition.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: TogoChubb.3984

TogoChubb.3984

I agree that what was said by the commander was out of line and if needed to be said at all s/h/b done through whisper and not broadcasted over team chat. I for one got the commander icon for the very reason you stated, in that I want to lead and teach people how to win at WvW. If you understand the supply game and siege the numbers don’t matter near as much as most people make it out to be.

On defense of commanders though please understand that they receive a lot of whispers that are just out of line. I for one ignore most of them but occasionally they start to get to you. Most people just want to attack and start to get grumpy when you lead them to kill yaks, cut supply camps, or heaven forbid you want to upgrade and siege up defense at a tower.

In closing, a lot of frustration comes from losing for over a month straight and seeing a lot of our fellow soldiers and friends leave for greener pastures. Let’s reach out and pick this commander up in efforts rebuild our server to what it once was. Remember that commanders need to learn as well and we all make mistakes….It’s how we learn from them that makes us better, closer, and stronger.

Commander Togochubb aka Chubby
Perfect Dark [PD] – Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Higher standards? Tell that to the commander I just saw who just lead some of his team to the invulnerable spot in vale, free-loot for the enemy.

As for Kryptik, report him for verbal abuse as you’ve done. I love his comment “You need to be more respectful to me too” whilst abusing everyone else!

Commanders are commanders, if an attack fails the reasons are:
1) The enemy outfought you
2) The enemy outnumbered you a lot
3) People didnt listen to the commander
4) The commander gave bad orders
5) The commander isnt that good.

Pugs will be pugs, they see your organised zerg, who are all on VoIP, and because they feel safe in your group they automatically believe they are invincible and attack everything in sight, contesting the map letting everyone know where you are, and a minute later an enemy zerg portal bombs you.

Being a commander, they should realise not everything will go as they planned, they will not win all their battles, and I assume in this case, they will lose very important keeps thanks to pugs and people not listening. If they are gonna rage like this then they shouldnt be a commander or be given any respect, even if they are a great commander. Respect is earned, not automatically given just because you spent 100g to have a blue arrow over your head.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

While the actions in the screenshot are out of line, callout threads on the forums are also out of line. While I am not a moderator, I would suggest you edit the image to remove all the names from it, as it is actually irrelevant to your overall topic. Otherwise I fear this line of discussion will be shut down.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

ClaraFee.2579

While the actions in the screenshot are out of line, callout threads on the forums are also out of line.

That wasn’t my intention at all, and I didn’t mean for it to be perceived that way. I edited it as you suggested (though I think it takes a minute or two for the attachment to update).

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]

in WvW

Posted by: Monty.8263

Monty.8263

If you believe the behavior of an individual player is unacceptable or disrespectful. Block that player from your view via the options in the social tab in game, it is there for this reason. Eventually, if this player continues this pattern of behavior he will be segregated from the majority of players on the server naturally. I.e. no one likes being yelled at all the time.

Furthermore, players need to step up and block players who they find to be offensive instead of requesting help from a developer. The developer gives you the power to segregate that individual player, do so, use the tools at your disposal. Individual players acting appropriately will eventually gain followers and eventually friends. Treat people the way you want to be treated. If you follow this statement your server will eventually become stronger for it, but you as the individual need to do your part for the server to grow.

in WvW

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

I totally agree OP. 100G for a commander icon is a bad idea. We do have some super star commanders everywhere but we do have pugs commanders even more. But well no one can be a good one at very beginning, here are some suggestions to commanders:
If you are leading a 50+ men zerg for 30+ mins but can’t even take a single keep (yes this is hard to believe, but it did happen last night), Please :
Stop sending your order in team channel insisting on asking everyone to follow you;
Stop complaining about rendering issue as excuse (since the opponent will have same problem);
Stop complaining about out-numbered or double-teamed;
Stop blaming other ppl for giving you suggestion instead of calling them stupid;
Turn off your commander icon temporarily and rethink about your strategy;
If you still think you are right, log out and take a break then try another day.

Sincerely.

in WvW

ClaraFee.2579

Furthermore, players need to step up and block players who they find to be offensive instead of requesting help from a developer.

I agree, of course, about blocking offensive players. You’re right – that’s what the function is there for.

But I don’t think that solves everything. When players in a position of leadership act abusive and pout and effectively disrupt the gameplay for everyone on the map, then I think it’s no longer just a chat window issue – I think at that point it’s a dev. issue that needs to be revisited to find a better solution.

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

How anet will handle it is they will ban him for 3 days for his behavior. If he continues to exhibit that behavior after he returns he can be banned for a longer duration or have his account closed.

I don’t think they can remove someone’s commander icon at this moment.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Rager.8543

Lord Rager.8543

I love my commanders on my server…. too bad i missed out on more DH Soaps

Commander The Tallest Rager
Darkhaven Asuran Guardian
S O T D Warband [SotD]

in WvW

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Thank you ClaraFee.2579 for not swhoing the name of this players in your screenshot, as it would have been against our Code of Conduct :

“Do not engage in personal attacks against forum members or in character assassination. Posts that attack another member, that single out a player for ridicule, or that accuse someone of inappropriate in-game actions will be removed without notice. In-game violations should be reported directly to our Support Team.”

If you see such behavior, please use the report feature, and our customer support team will handle it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your concern.