How are servers supposed to ally without the right tools?

in WvW

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

So the top servers say, “Why don’t you ally with the other server in WvW?”

Well let’s looks at some of the major problems with trying to forge an alliance with another server…

All enemies on the map have red name tags. These tags can become impossible to read due to name clumping and the fact they are all the same color, so distinguishing between two servers that are clomped together can be pretty difficult in the heat of the battle.

There is no way to communicate between the players on other servers, communication is the key in WvW and not being able to talk to a potential ally means no ally at all.

Even if you do decided to ally with another server, not everyone is going to follow these rules. Small guilds will do what they want, and many people will not listen to begin with.

There are no server forums to even suggest any kind of alliance or coordination.

Good luck with that…

in WvW

Posted by: Arasuki.6094

Arasuki.6094

youre not meant to ally……..

[DU]Arasuki – Ranger
Down Under – Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

grifflyman.8102

There was talk ages ago about the 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 mechanic and the discussion of what would happen if a server had control of most of the maps.

The theory was that the two weaker servers would team up on the stronger server, but without the right tools to put this in place I don’t see this happening.

in WvW

Posted by: Samfisher.7942

Samfisher.7942

You don’t have to explicitely have an “alliance” to do any teamwork. Look at how SBI and ET had the same mutual interest in bringing HoD down, they didn’t need any formal alliance cos they didn’t need one and it worked brilliantly! I for one know there’s no “collusion”, just 2 top tier servers wanting the same thing

Ezendor [SYN] – Synapse, Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

I agree I would like to see some sort of chat function. Or at least making the color of player names correspond to what side they are on. That alone would make things better I think.

I can speak from experience that trying to rally your own server along with the other losing one is extremely difficult. I did my best to get IoJ and SoS to band together when we faced ET with minimal success last matchup. Some people listened, most did not either because they didn’t want to or they never heard me to begin with.

I kind of like the challenge of trying to make alliances work and I feel all of that would be stripped away if we were all able to talk to one another in game.

I honestly think changing the color of player names is best option.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: purplestone.8364

purplestone.8364

The theory about the two losing servers “teaming” up to take down the winning server wasnt meant in a literal sense. Its just something that would likely happen as a result of common sense, there is no need to be able to form an actual alliance with the other server with communication and whatnot that would just not be fun. As for changing the player color names I dont really see a point in. It is pretty easy to tell the difference between enemies as their armor shows their color which is what youll notice first before names anyway.

in WvW

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

in WvW

grifflyman.8102

Yea, it doesn’t work…

in WvW

Posted by: gandhigonewild.3645

gandhigonewild.3645

I think its easier for the more established servers to do it. Kaineng and Devona’s Rest attempted to get an alliance going ,but it fell apart within days. There isn’t any real way to inform the masses who don’t visit the forums. The result is the zerg kills anything that has a red tag above it and takes anything that is easy picking.

Level 80 Norn Warrior
Kætilmund [LaZy] -Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: aeroh.8930

aeroh.8930

Probably never will either until anet gives the lesser two realms a reason to go after the top dog instead of squabbling over second place.

in WvW

grifflyman.8102

Did anything ever come of this?

in WvW

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

I would say no in the sense of a actual in game way of making alliances. However there are every once in a while sort of cease-fires called out by commanders but these usually don’t last long. While it is logical that two weaker or losing servers would team up to beat a stronger server, what usually happens is the two losing servers try to duke it out cause they don’t want to try and fight the stronger server. So in theory its a good idea but there is no reward for winning only for the immediate actions. This causes people to go for the easier target.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown