How can I get my monthlys?

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I only play PvE, so I am looking for some guidance on how I can get involved in WvW enough to get my kills up. Ive tried getting into WvW but I cannot find any players, allies or enemy. Is there a way to find players? Can I do this solo?

in WvW

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

You might see a blue icon on your minimap. That is a commander and he usually carries the mainzerg ( = many players) of this map with him. Most likely there also will be some kind of voice chat for your server like TS3, so you could just ask in mapchat for it. Once you move with the zerg you start organizing in groups, do supply camps and other stuff.

WvW is much fun and kills are easy to do if you are moving in an organized group. You can’t do that much on your own though. Things you can so solo are:
- Capture Sentries
- Kill/Guard Dolyaks
- Capture Supplycamps (learn to use line of sight as those veteran scouts will most likely permablind you otherwise)
- Scout (no kills but something that has to be done to prevent golem-rushes)

An easy way to get your monthly kills is to find a great battle (orange swords) at one of your servers towers/keeps, build an arrow cart and keep firing in the mob. After a while you will see lootbags everywhere around you.

(edited by Iavra.8510)

in WvW

Posted by: akamon.2769

akamon.2769

quick question, just for reference, which server are you on now? i ask only because each WvW server has a different population. try to find out when your server and bracket (incl. other 2 servers) are most active and venture into the WvW then

as mentioned by lavra, that’s more or less the gist of it. : )) a few notes, you can get siege blueprints by either purchasing them or from the chests in the WvW jumping puzzles. you get the blueprint and can place it and you need supply to build them. so always carry supply from you! in general, you only want to take supply from supply camps and not within towers / keeps, but check mapchat / teamspeak and see what your team is planning.

for the sole purpose of getting the monthly, learn how to tag enemies for credit (i.e. you don’t need to land the killing blow). so in this sense, AoE capabilities are great.

again, for the lootbags, know that they’ll appear wherever u are after you get a kill, so make sure to hit “F” ; ))

other small advice in terms of staying alive / combat:

• learn to dodge effectively
  • don’t get tunnel vision and be aware of your surroundings – look out for that red text, i.e. enemy tags!
  • stay calm – at least, this worked for me as i wasnt a huge fan of PvP and dying to actual players seem more daunting than to AI.. for whatever reason, i donno lol but if you know your build and enjoy it, play to your strengths! don’t let anyone intimidate you
  • bring condition removal, dmg mitigation and “escape” mechanisms handy if the situation calls for it
  • when fighting a big group, target enemies with lowest health if possible!
  • use food and consumables (maintence oils / sharpening stones) or even boosters to help you
  • never get discouraged!

hope this helps and dive into WvW every so often! i fell in love with it though i was more PvE-centric and slowly improving. definitely doable solo, but can be a lot easier in a group.

Akaimon | Jolly Good Guardian
Akaigi | Warrior Made of Wood
[CDS] – Sanctum of Rall

in WvW

Posted by: zhonnika.1784

zhonnika.1784

Depends on your server, yeah. My advice is to pick a time when more players would likely be on (primetime in your time zone; generally 7pm+). It’s also a good idea to man a piece of siege in a tower/keep on defense, as you rack up a good amount of enemy kills that way. This is especially good for when you’re just starting. I advise against getting on a trebuchet, however, as a new player to WvW. Arrow cart, ballista are both good.

Friday nights are when the matches reset, and there’s generally a lot of people online. Find a good commander to follow (asking in /team for advice can help) and run with the zerg. You’ll find you’ve got your 50 kills before you know it!

Kashmara – Elementalist | Reapermara – Necromancer
Jade Quarry
Onslaught [OnS]

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

Don’t run around alone unless you’re skilled enough to defeat a roaming thief. Most of us can by now (hopefully). Otherwise, like others mentioned, join the main group (I don’t like the word zerg :/) and complete objectives.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: OldRodKS.9758

OldRodKS.9758

A good time to get kills is on Friday nights, right after the matches reset. There are some huge battles over almost every location for several hours here. Just join a group and AoE in these battles and you’ll get your kills in no time.

Playing on Tarnished Coast
Playing a various Stormspire alt – if it’s Stormspire, it’s probably me
Guilds: Elder Prophets [EP], Principality of New Katulus (PiNK)

in WvW

Posted by: LieutenantGoogle.7326

LieutenantGoogle.7326

Stun breakers and condition removal are mandatory in WvW if you want to survive.
Find a party and 50 kills will go by before you even know it.

lv80 with skills fully unlocked, warrior, elementalist and engineer
lv80 Necromancer, all professional skills unlocked, working on the final norn elite skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Reann.9480

Reann.9480

How can I get MY monthly when I do only WvW? They should atleast make alternate options, like keep takes instead of fractal levels or what ever those are, or 5k kills or something…

Goes both ways, althou nowhere near equally. 50 kills…

Aurora Glade – VII

in WvW

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

How can I get MY monthly when I do only WvW? They should atleast make alternate options, like keep takes instead of fractal levels or what ever those are, or 5k kills or something…

Goes both ways, althou nowhere near equally. 50 kills…

This has become a gripe for me too since they added fractals to the monthly.
Even though I’m a PvX player, when it’s up to me the only thing I do in PvE is open world content. I was already sick and tired of dungeons / raids in other games after having done that full time for several years. But I want those 10 bottles of karma and that’s the only reason I went into fractals for the 1st time last week.
They should really make separate monthlies for WvW and PvE or indeed alternate objectives, a win win for purists on either side of The Mists portals.