How can I show casuals the importance of TS?

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

And don’t try to force microphones onto them some people just don’t want to talk. You better mention that when you advertise your TS that it is not a requirement to talk on TS.

Most people in WvW shouldn’t need to talk. I’ve seen some commanders tell people not to chatter in their channels. Too few though, if you ask me.

in WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

First, keep in mind that you are talking about 100s of different individuals, perhaps 1,000s. The people in the zerg right now aren’t necessarily the people who were in it yesterday or will be in it tomorrow.

Second, there are a whole host of reasons why people don’t want to participate in voice, but do want to join the zerg:

1. Not every commander uses VoIP well. Some don’t know how to “clear chat” to make sure their commands and the reports of sentries/scouts are heard. Some don’t offer any clue as to their strategy or tactics.
  2. Some people aren’t technically comfortable installing/using VoIP software.
  3. VoIP requires far more bandwidth than the game and not everyone has unlimited data plans and some have to share their pipe with neighbors or roommates.
  4. Not everyone wanting to participate wants to invest effort to setup VoIP for a particular server/guild until they are sure that this is something they want to do regularly.

In short, the only way to convince “people” to join your server’s VoIP is to work with people individually to address their concerns.

• Technical issues? Offer to help them set it up.
  • Don’t like the chatter? Give them the names of the better commanders who keep the channel focused.
  • Can’t see the value of VoIP? Show them the difference by pointing them to a map that has a strong VoIP commander and another map without one. Sometimes, this difference is visible without joining the zerg using the Live Map feature of mos.millenium.org.
  • At worst, take the time to talk to individuals.

Mostly, what I see in /team or /map discourages me from participating in voice: if I wanted to get berated for using the wrong tools, I’d go back to visit my high school shop teacher. He’s much funnier at it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

I think a lot of the trepidation most non-voicecomms users is that they imagine it will be like this

That’s funny as. Couldn’t understand that Scottish(?) accent half the time.

“We know they’re kittening coming from behind, of course they’re kittening coming from behind, they’re kittening coming from everywhere! Their whole kittening Zerg is out to get us!!”

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

I find it funny that you comment on things you clearly don’t know much about.

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

People should be required to put their servers in their forum sig so everyone knows if their WvW advice/experience is realistic.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Yeah, he’s a bit of a troll.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Jeydra.4386

Jeydra.4386

I’ve never heard commanders call for banner rotations, chill rotations, etc, on TS. If your guild does, more power to you. Until it becomes commonplace on TS however, I still see no reason to log on to it (not to mention I play Mesmer in WvW, which means I don’t do any of those things).

Sounds like a terrible server to be in. Mesmers have rotations for veil, timewarp, and null field.

Tell that to the parrot. I use all of Veil, Time Warp, Null Field, Portal and Feedback without having to be told to.

(edited by Jeydra.4386)

in WvW

Posted by: Spineless.6917

Spineless.6917

What I have noticed about my server (Dragonbrand) is that unless there is a guild group on the map, only 25-50% of the players in our zerg will be in the TS channel. I advertise our server’s TS as much as I can to get more people listening but the number of people never goes above 50%. I feel like a lot of the players who join our map zergs do not understand how important voice chat is for winning zerg fights. How can I show the usefulness of voice chat to people who don’t use it, and don’t want to try? I want to change the culture of our server, because I have a feeling that the casuals on the T1 and T2 servers are more likely to use voice chat than we are.

I think this is a serious problem for my server, I’ve seen situations where our zerg was the same size as the enemy’s but our commander would not engage because he knew the enemy was more organized (staying tight, stacking might, etc.).

Built in voice coms are now a new standard in the industry thanks to Sony(PS-2, EQ2). It is on Anet to build a coms system. I know they wont. It does not matter any ways WVW is dead. All the good pvpers left this game a month after it released bored of grinding the same hammer war/guardian combos you guys are still grinding today.

in WvW

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

I’ve never heard commanders call for banner rotations, chill rotations, etc, on TS. If your guild does, more power to you. Until it becomes commonplace on TS however, I still see no reason to log on to it (not to mention I play Mesmer in WvW, which means I don’t do any of those things).

Sounds like a terrible server to be in. Mesmers have rotations for veil, timewarp, and null field.

Tell that to the parrot. I use all of Veil, Time Warp, Null Field, Portal and Feedback without having to be told to.

Not going to argue any more, but I would encourage you to get some WvW experience outside queue blob karma trains.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

It is tough to get as many people in to TS or any server oriented voip as commanders would want. Part of the issue (at least on my server) with the big TS is the language and shouting. It is hard to control a server wide voip vs the private voips many people use. Really all you can do is spam your servers TS info occasionally

in WvW

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

People are going to play how they want so they can enjoy the game. If you want to alienate half of your team because they are not playing how you want them to play then you are only hurting yourself lol.

I don’t use TS because it is annoying to me and I like to blast my own music. If I don’t see a blue tag then I do my own thing until one shows up or I see commands in the map chat like “This tower is being attacked! Rally here!” or “Somebody make sure the siege is refreshed”.

And besides, somebody has to recap all of those camps so you have supplies in your towers :P

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

oh man, our team chat is so good. If your team can’t command like this, I just feel sorry. It can be done.

Really, I have no idea how you can enjoy WvW like we are if you cant hear anthing.

For the Toast!

(edited by Nanyetah Elohi.4852)

in WvW

Posted by: Nanyetah Elohi.4852

Nanyetah Elohi.4852

big part of our coordination is how we talk to eachother in chat. It matters. It really does. We are real people in WvW.

For the Toast!