How come so many bronze in WvW?

in WvW

Posted by: darkwarder.3645

darkwarder.3645

For the 3rd week in a row, we are facing Kaineng and Sanctum of Rall, and yeah, we’re usually outnumbered on any map by between 4 and 8 to 1 by either of them, but how is it possible that they’re mostly new WvW players? So many bronze players, lots of griefers, in their ranks. You know, WvW is easy when you outnumber your opponent by such a big margin. When we have even numbers they aren’t much of a challenge, but numbers are rare for us since all of our WvW guilds have left awhile back. Have the veteran SoR and Kain players moved to T1 and left all the newbies?

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Lots of different reasons for the bronze, most casual WvW’ers usually won’t get any higher than bronze. I myself only started WvW 7 months ago, so I simply haven’t had time to get past mid bronze yet. Also the largest groups you see form us are the "zergs" which is mostly have the newer players and some of the more casuals, lead by a couple of the veterans etc.

Most of our veterans tend to run in smaller groups, either with each-others or mixed in with us bronze’s. But don’t worry, most of the core still remain in Kaineng. But we’re sorta the "roaming server" for a reason, most of the old core tends to skip the zergs and head straight for small groups.

PS: I know you’ve been outnumbered by both of us, but honestly, unless BP and DR are even more depleted than rumors say, you’re not going to fare any better against any of the other servers atm. I agree that 3 weeks in a row on the same match-up gets a bit stale, even if SoR is really getting in gear this week. But it could have been MUCH worse for you guys.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Brutal Augus.5917

Brutal Augus.5917

Because most people that spend atleast a year here end up leaving.

[varX] Limitless Potential

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’ve come to notice WvW rank often doesn’t tell much of the person’s skill in PvP or WvW. Merely their endurance in running with the zerg (in EotM).

I’ve stomped many Gold ranked players who were absolutely terrible in PvP and I’ve been stomped by even sub-100 ranks without them breaking a sweat.

One – Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Indeed rank doesnt say much. Go against blob servers and you will see lots of silver running away from fights and not even trying to fight back when you catch them.

in WvW

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

Lots of different reasons for the bronze, most casual WvW’ers usually won’t get any higher than bronze. I myself only started WvW 7 months ago, so I simply haven’t had time to get past mid bronze yet. Also the largest groups you see form us are the “zergs” which is mostly have the newer players and some of the more casuals, lead by a couple of the veterans etc.

Most of our veterans tend to run in smaller groups, either with each-others or mixed in with us bronze’s. But don’t worry, most of the core still remain in Kaineng. But we’re sorta the “roaming server” for a reason, most of the old core tends to skip the zergs and head straight for small groups.

PS: I know you’ve been outnumbered by both of us, but honestly, unless BP and DR are even more depleted than rumors say, you’re not going to fare any better against any of the other servers atm. I agree that 3 weeks in a row on the same match-up gets a bit stale, even if SoR is really getting in gear this week. But it could have been MUCH worse for you guys.

o7 Kainang. Some great, and I mean great battles with you last night in Eternal. Most fun I have had in a long time. Wouldn’t break my heart if we faced you again.

SoR FTW

in WvW

Posted by: Lakshmi.5941

Lakshmi.5941

Speaking for myself (I’m on SoR), I’ve been away from GW2 quite a lot due to RL. I got nearly to bronze last time I was able to play. I’ve been WvW’ing a lot since I returned in November, so I’m well into bronze and aiming for silver now. (It’s not EotM, either — I can count on one hand the number of EotM zergs I’ve ever been in.)

So I guess I’m a “new” from the perspective of headcount but not really new. I started back in headstart before RL took me away from the game.

And yeah, T8 got a lot more fun with the white swords gone. I’m seeing fewer zergs and more small group action. So much less boring that ZvZ!

(edited by Lakshmi.5941)

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Bronze covers rank 150-620. That’s a pretty big spectrum.

And not everyone appreciates the karma train grind anyways or partakes in wxp generating activities.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

I’ve come to notice WvW rank often doesn’t tell much of the person’s skill in PvP or WvW. Merely their endurance in running with the zerg (in EotM).

I’ve stomped many Gold ranked players who were absolutely terrible in PvP and I’ve been stomped by even sub-100 ranks without them breaking a sweat.

Yep, rank means nothing other than how much time they’ve spent in WvW or how much time they’ve spent blobbing. Bronze and Silver are the most commonly seen ranks in most tiers/servers because they’re relatively casual ranks that you gain just from doing what ever. Gold, Platinum and higher are usually people who do nothing but WvW/blob. Low ranks have just as much potential to be a threat as high ranks so don’t ever base your assumptions of their skill off that.

However… High Mithril ranks through Diamond are always zerglings.. It doesn’t mean they’re definitely bad players but.. You can bet they haven’t done a lot of solo roaming.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

However… High Mithril ranks through Diamond are always zerglings.. It doesn’t mean they’re definitely bad players but.. You can bet they haven’t done a lot of solo roaming.

Laurels and badges can be turned in for Taste of Liquid World Experience (5,000, which is one level). Roamers can get there too.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in WvW

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Laurels and badges can be turned in for Taste of Liquid World Experience (5,000, which is one level). Roamers can get there too.

Buying a wxp rank with laurels costs 2 laurels per rank, if the average player gets something like 500 laurels a year and spends all of them on wxp ranks they’ll get 250 per year. Mithril starts at 5k wxp rank and Diamond starts at 6400, it’s unlikely that a roamer will ever get these ranks.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I would like to point out that gold ranked doesn’t mean you’re a zergling lol, there are plenty of gold ranked roamers who got a high level due to killing vets at towers/camps and recieving the wxp an hour later for it when it flips

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

You can definitely get gold just by roaming if you move fast enough, obviously not as fast as the train but it does add up. It is certainly a lot better with 3-5 people though as you can capture towers in a timely fashion if opposition is light. Rank things are mostly just generalizations. I know quite a few bronze legends or whatever that play mostly pvp and don’t karma train but they could definitely handle a lot of random people with higher ranks. They’d easily beat me too, which drives home the fact that being high rank doesn’t mean that much besides you may know some wvw basics.

It’s a combination of factors. A gold guy that is using a zerg weapon and runs at the first sign of not being at an advantage is probably a zerger. A gold guy that eyes you up and faces you directly while standing still is probably looking for a fight. That doesn’t mean anything about player skill or whatnot, but it sure means a lot about mentality. Being someone that sometimes plays for super casual zerg training and other times searching for rights, I usually understand what people are intending. Although beware the thief/mesmer/warrior that is slowly kiting you into his 5 person gank squad waiting around the corner, lol.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Oh I’m aware that you can be gold ranked or higher from roaming, I’m Platinum and about 80% of the time I solo roam and have been doing so for a year and a half. Of course I blob as well but it’s not even what I do 50% of the time. I’m just saying that generally speaking, gold – platinum are either frequent zergers or they’re like myself, they don’t really do anything else but WvW. If you’re in WvW and always active, every day, you gain ranks pretty fast regardless of whether you zerg or not. There hasn’t been one day I’ve played GW2 since I started playing this game that I haven’t spent in either EBG or the borderlands. But that also leads me to the point that once again, if you see someone that’s a high Mithril rank or Diamond, they’re a blobber and probably blob all day and night :P. I mean if they enjoy it all the power to them, not insulting them, just saying catch them solo and they probably won’t be a hard kill.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

I can attest to this. Not from stomping other players, but from getting stomped. Hint to new players. Don’t level you WvW rank in EotM. I’m labeled veteran and get my kitten kicked by lower ranked players all the time. I’d love to relevel my wvw rank the right way. Hell, I’d even pay for that sh……

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Buying a wxp rank with laurels costs 2 laurels per rank, if the average player gets something like 500 laurels a year and spends all of them on wxp ranks they’ll get 250 per year. Mithril starts at 5k wxp rank and Diamond starts at 6400, it’s unlikely that a roamer will ever get these ranks.

After rank 1370 there is absolutely no reason to even think about buying wxp…

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

aspirine.6852

I’ll be in bronze forever I think. Only just hit 310, been away for a year and only play once in a while. most points is capturing stuff I think? I only join the zerg when they meet another one because I love zerg vs zerg fights.

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Some players who win all 1 vs 1 fight are very bad in real fights. They don’t know how to use siege and zerg fights they just running outside fight and try to have 1 vs 1 fights. Totally useless players if you ask me.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Hello, I am Oscuro of Kaineng! I know for me, the account I mostly play now is my second account. My old account had roughly 1100 ranks, but I don’t ply on it much anymore. Since I don’t zerg and only do roaming and havocing, the wXp comes slowly, but it is a much better way to get it. You don’t have to be high silver/gold to be good at the game. In fact, I often fear silvers more than golds for two reasons:
1) Silver is a very long rank, and if you fight someone who is roaming as a silver, they generally got that rank from roaming.
2) Most golds are zerglings/commanders. Very few are experienced roamers. Even on low tiers, it seems a lot of golds are just now experiencing skilled small group play, as if they are fresh out of the EOTM oven.
These stereo types do not apply to all people, but they are generally accurate in my own experiences.
Note: fear isn’t the right word…more okittennowledge as probably having superior skills.

in WvW

Posted by: Crius.5487

Crius.5487

What if you divided your total number of kills by your rank.

For me that’s an average of (rounded to the nearest whole number) 54 kills per world rank. I’m pretty sure there’s people out there with many more kills to rank ratio than myself.

Kills: 86180

Attachments:

Jade Quarry since Beta

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Some players who win all 1 vs 1 fight are very bad in real fights. They don’t know how to use siege and zerg fights they just running outside fight and try to have 1 vs 1 fights. Totally useless players if you ask me.

It’s a legit tactic, scour the edges of a fight, assassinate any tryin to leave the zerg to refresh, stomp him and rally 5 allies… It’s seen in GvG’s a lot too I believe, the thief tryin to take out an ele or power necro

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Rank means nothing and heres why

-Many players have alt accounts, with low ranks, but the player has tons of exp in wvw
-Eotm is a giant karma train that awards wxp and thats how many people get wxp rank because they go there to level up
-Ranks can be bought with laurels and badges

Its a title and nothing more.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Most of the time rank shows not too much, but if you and 20 of your friends decide to try this wvw thing dont attack 20 gold-platinum guys

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

McWolfy.5924

For me that’s an average of (rounded to the nearest whole number) 54 kills per world rank. I’m pretty sure there’s people out there with many more kills to rank ratio than myself.

Do the math :P i won
I think my whole guild have nearly the same ratio

Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

Do the math :P i won
I think my whole guild have nearly the same ratio

Rank 337
Kills: 12742
KPR: 37
On my other account I have the achievement so I can’t tell…

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Maybe i should start play lootstick guardian.

Kills: 149452

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Not everyone can play a Guardian and can spam 1 to get maximum wxp. Some of us play single target classes or ones more ideal at roaming. Not going to raise in rank that quickly in those situations

in WvW

McWolfy.5924

Maybe i should start play lootstick guardian.

Kills: 149452

Eotm hero

Just the WvW
R3200+

in WvW

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Lootstick. Lol

One – Piken Square

in WvW

aspirine.6852

It’s a legit tactic, scour the edges of a fight, assassinate any tryin to leave the zerg to refresh, stomp him and rally 5 allies… It’s seen in GvG’s a lot too I believe, the thief tryin to take out an ele or power necro

Indeed, most of my chars make no sense in a group vs group. But I can make sure some of the outskirts get killed or others trying to revive get killed themselves. Very good tactic to try and bring the opposite zerg smaller and smaller to get the upper hand.